• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
trimfast

Hypothetical Friday - Dream Boat

If you had an opportunity such as winning the lottery, to buy any current boat, or design any boat of your dreams what would it be and why?

To start, my choices are within reason as I think the size actually matters for what I would like to do which at this stage of my life is still racing.

Current boat in existence would probably be the Elliot Crusader or the Shaw 9m as they are bad ass bitches. Could go do coastal races and some fun work with them. However, I wouldn't want to buoy race them and that would be a slight downfall.

Design wise, I would probably go between 35-40 feet for pure race bliss from a top designer which could be capable of offshore sprints as well as inshore. No rating concerns, just as much bang for the size without any constraints.

J125

Light, easy to sail with my family, still good chance to win, big enough to do more than coastal races, place to sleep and cook something reasonable down below, dont need to buy 17 sandwiches.

Ah to dream.

Pogo 50 - shorthanded capability, robust construction, "sink resistant", swing keel/shoal draft, light, bright low maintenance interior.

Long, narrow, easily driven, just enough creature comforts below to make a weekender on the water feel less like an enduro. Think an Admiralty 30 concept from a sailing perspective with more length, room but still able to be sailed with some speed by an elderly couple that won't grow old gracefully and buy a power boat.

What is it?

Maybe when I get home I will remember to really make this a Friday thread.

But to answer the OP I'll play. What was not specified is what lottery and for how much? Are we talking a State lottery for 5M or one of the Mega for 50M? I'll assume a local State lottery for this exercise.

Power/Fishing Boat: Brand new Pursuit 280 CC with twin 300 Suzuki's hanging off the back. Oh Yea!!!

Cruising Boat: I would finally fix/upgrade/replace my crazy auto pilot, retire and go cruising on Terrapin (My Jeanneau 37).

Oh and I would buy one of those new MK II Laser sails even though my good MK I sail only has 3 days of racing on it! I'll splurge on that! :lol:

I don't want anything very extravagant. I'd like a Seascape 24 for beach cruising, a 25' Parker for fishing and diving and a pontoon for the lake house. I'd also have B&B build a new Core Sound 17 mk 3 for those days I want to sail alone.

I'd pimp out a Rawson 30. Give it to Rimas see what he does. Just for shits and giggles.

Also, would quit my job. Stay home on Fridays and create and populate Friday threads with appropriate content.

wally nano...

wallynano4.jpg

that said, it would really depend on how big the win was compared to the price of the nano... because you'd need a shit ton of operating budget to continue owning the boat...

so if it was just a free boat, nothing more, then i think i'd opt for what I already have...

Fareast 23R... effortlessly sailing to near Melges 24 speeds...

post-1196-0-40425500-1486769607_thumb.jpg

If my life and location didn't change, probably a seascape 24, looks like it can do a bit of everything.

If I got lottery winning amounts of free time I would have to move to where there was a moth fleet and give it go and probably charter for big boat stuff.

wally nano...

wallynano4.jpg

that said, it would really depend on how big the win was compared to the price of the nano... because you'd need a shit ton of operating budget to continue owning the boat...

so if it was just a free boat, nothing more, then i think i'd opt for what I already have...

attachicon.gif23R.JPG

thast alle verrey nice, thacke you. The threade tittelle saide 'Fridaye', I thicke moeste anachisttes our lookeng foure thiesse;

Natural-breast-enhancement.jpg

I mabey misstacken............ :)

wally nano...

wallynano4.jpg

attachicon.gif23R.JPG

thast alle verrey nice, thacke you. The threade tittelle saide 'Fridaye', I thicke moeste anachisttes our lookeng foure thiesse;

Natural-breast-enhancement.jpg

I mabey misstacken............ :)

Thank you........ B)

If Imwould win the lottery, the best oprion if to buy several boats, eache with a definite purpose.

* A 38 - 42 ocean cruiser. E.g. French aluminum centerboarders, HR etc.

* A 30 ft cruiser similar to my current half tonner but of very high quality.

* An excellent cruising dinghy such as John Welsford's navigator.

The problem would then be to have enough time to enjoy all of them.

Second the Pogo 12.50. Not sure how it would do in the lighter winds here; might need to be turboed. But the design brief seems like a perfect update to our F405 and the same slip fees... assuming I can find a berth wide enough for the fat ass.

I'd buy these 3 for 800k

ELLIOT 35SS $700k OFFSHORE

THOMPSON T8 $40k INSHORE

30' Timber Bay Cruiser $60k

Snaggie to the rescue of a thread that started with such immense promise and then got sidetracked into, you know, boats and stuff.......

Hammerhead 54.

No? How about Rapido 60?

No? Just add a daggerboard to my Voyager 48.

Snaggie to the rescue of a thread that started with such immense promise and then got sidetracked into, you know, boats and stuff.......

+1

But what's with the old school phone???

+1

I thick ist actiualley a toye phone........

tumblr_mo4byr8Tgj1qdaj57o1_500.jpg

:)

+1

From another thread....

dgKB5w5.png

To answer the intent of the question....a mini. I like being fast and have been accused of being anti-social....

From another thread....

dgKB5w5.png

To answer the intent of the question....a mini. I like being fast and have been accused of being anti-social....

that's a beautiful man .

Maybe I'm just a small dreamer, but I've already got my dream boat.

CampC34_zpsocvtlh0f.png

If I won the lottery I'd just finish refitting & updating this boat. New deck, new sails, new maxprop. It's already everything I want in a boat.

+1

OK so what's with the toy phone? It's so out of place, it's kinda funny!

^^Dick Dasterley would approve.

My boat choice?

Perry OF20

If I win the lottery, I'll be driving this in the next Everglades Challenge!

Take that Randy! :D

1285851244-tre_IDEC250910_800.jpg

Thank you Snaggletooth

Thanks Snaggy, before your post, this fraudulent Friday thread was looking all dressed up... with nowhere to blow

because this is HYPOTHETICAL

1. the race boat

med_2Hamilton.jpg

2. the crew's travelling Hotel

3a383149800447e698e6a6a516ea3d28.jpg

3. my Tender

5399525_20151223130533258_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

4. my fishing boat

top-sf-boats_12.jpg?itok=ijrYBjYg

That picture above of the naked women on the boat reminds me of my job interview with Delta Air Lines. All pilot candidates had to go through a one on one, 30 minute interview with a shrink. He had a rocking chair and a couch, part of the interview was, which do you choose to sit in? And do you rock, or not?

When it was my turn, I entered his office, walked over to the rocking chair and said, "So....this is the famous rocking chair! To rock or not to rock, that is the question!" then I sat in the rocker and sat still most of the time, only rocking back once in awhile. He asked about my family, previous flying jobs, some other stuff I can't recall, but then he says, "If money were no object, what would you do?"

I asked for clarification, "You mean I don't have to work? I have all the money I'll ever need and I can do anything I want?"

He says, "Yup."

I wasn't prepared for this question, but I was 26 and single, so after only a few seconds of thought I said, "Well, I guess I'd be living on a 65 foot sailboat in Tahiti crewed by 10 naked native women!"

He laughed pretty hard and said, "I've never heard that one before!"

He must have been a sailor too, I got the job....still don't have the 65' yacht and I've never been to Tahiti. Flown near it a few times on the way from LAX-SYD, but never had to divert in there...yet! Maybe on my retirement flight I'll stop in and stay a while! Perhaps I can trade the 777 for a 65' yacht? :D

Cap - I like how you think - boats are like wrenches are like guitars - you need multiple to fit the job at hand...

exactly...i would never use a Gibson Flying V to play country when i have a perfectly good tele....

Hey, it's Friday again, time for more fantasy boats.

Sucks to be you guys up in Boston today, looks like more snow heading your way, that's why I moved to FL 20 years ago.

It's 85 and blowing about 10-15 out of the west today in Sebring, FL, I'm taking my dog out on the Prindle 18 after lunch.

Adios!

OK that's uncalled for and you are being downright mean!

Last Friday I was sailing a Hobie Wave in the Dominican Republic and today shit weather here in MD. At least the sideways rain has moved on but it's still windy and COLD!

Our keel boat frostbite series starts Sunday. F THAT! I am staying indoors and watching hoop.

Yes I am getting old and yes I am ready to move South.

Greever:

We have not decided on the engine yet. I like the Steyr. Maybe 180 hp. When we have settled that question we will address the tankage needed.

14,000 lbs in carbon fiber, that should be easy to push along. We are thinking 16 knots cruise speed.

Lots of decisions to be made yet.

Designed for Darth Bottles, owner of FRANCIS LEE.

7070:

Many thanks. I think so. I am trying for a high WTF factor.

Here is my next boat.

0dc568c90385da11cf9931baf5804b87.jpg

GF had no objections to this one, a first!

hey its an opti

[pic] titties [/pic]

I'd have thought a person with 200+ posts would know this by now, that Friday in a thread title implies the following. It's a natural law, like gravity or fluid pressure in a closed system. Stuff happens, no harm or foul.

3.jpg

Cheap beer:

Sure it can but it looks like every other boat out there.

Getting there is not the whole objective, It's how you get there.

It does look rather nice, in a generic sort of way.

Bob, I'll raise you one. The Tombolo 34' to get you out to the islands in a flash with style.

TT34-Render005.51_zpsyq9n3z7z.jpg

That's a cool digital boat, but the kayaks are as lame as they come. At least the bow has a nice view over it:

Lounging-On-The-Boat-1024x752.jpg

Sucks to be you guys up in Boston today, looks like more snow heading your way, that's why I moved to FL 20 years ago.

It's 85 and blowing about 10-15 out of the west today in Sebring, FL, I'm taking my dog out on the Prindle 18 after lunch.

Adios!

Just think of all the great skiing you are missing, and it is fabulous right now. Another 8" last night :)

Edit... And since it's Friday...

https://vimeo.com/77177549

Adios!

Just think of all the great skiing you are missing, and it is fabulous right now. Another 8" last night :)

He cane be watere skiing to, withe no snowe.

Cheap beer:

Sure it can but it looks like every other boat out there.

Getting there is not the whole objective, It's how you get there.

It does look rather nice, in a generic sort of way.

So other than another 24' and a pipe-smoking guy standing up getting a saltwater douche in hs face, what's the difference from the 60' Motor Launch? ;)