• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Shortforbob

Favorite concept albums

Something I've not listened to for a while

King Crimson

Lizard

Fripp hated it...he plays some awsome stuff on it though.

Battle of glass tears

not sure if either qualifies as a "concept" album, but they certainly are stories...

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

Ekseption -- Beggar Julia's Time Trip

Of course "The Wall" and "Dark Side of the Moon"

Also "Misplaced Childhood" by Marrillion (sp?)

Michael Oldfield - Tubular Bells

PHiSH - Rift

Dave Brubeck - Time Out*

*Not sure that it really qualifies as a 'concept' album but it was an experiment in funky time signatures and one of my favorite albums

Tommy

.....can you hear me?

And this isn't a concept album or even remotely related to the OP but............I just frigging love it............group is Bag of Toys........... :lol:

Now back to your regularly scheduled subject............. B)

Some suggestions here I want to look into but to follow up on others' suggestions:

Jethro Tull- Thick As A Brick

Moody Blues- Search For The Lost Chord

-DSK

Ohhh man, PB you just rang a bell there. I remember driving to work in the AM and that theme came on KMET or KGB introing the surf report. For a while in the late 70s various members of Honk would play at a local bar called the Quiet Woman. Beth Fitchett was so good.

Missing them days.

Ohhh man, PB you just rang a bell there. I remember driving to work in the AM and that theme came on KMET or KGB introing the surf report. For a while in the late 70s various members of Honk would play at a local bar called the Quiet Woman. Beth Fitchett was so good.

Missing them days.

Ah.........the Quiet Woman in Corona Del Mar........I know that bar well...........

Check out the link.......they are still knocking around...............we ALL just look a little older............ :lol:

Thick as a brick...yes

tommy and quadraphenia I have on vinyl, originals though tired, pete will live forever if just those two were the measure. It took andrew lloyd weber and deep purple to beat him with jesus christ superstar, which if you have not heard in its first official release then well get busy and find a copy

tommy and quadraphenia I have on vinyl, originals though tired, pete will live forever if just those two were the measure. It took andrew lloyd weber and deep purple to beat him with jesus christ superstar, which if you have not heard in its first official release then well get busy and find a copy

Ian Gillan's vocals on Jesus Chris Superstar are superb... "I Only Want To Say" is phenomenal. Not sure any of the other Deep Purple bandmates are on that recording though.

As for concept albums....Dark Side of the Moon and Townshend's White City.

The lamb lies down live is quite a record....

When you really look at pete townsends output from 65 to 80 you will be hard pressed to find an equal from a single artist standpoint. As a group almost every u2 album is a concept album, achtung baby being a surprising gem. Fagens nightfly is good.

Fagens nightfly is good.

Yes. Extremely well done production is still very listenable. Its hard to believe that album is ***35*** years old already. Just seems like yesterday.

Both mentioned earlier I think-

Although John Lennon once pointed out that "Sgt Pepper" wasn't really a concept album. Go figure....

As much as I respect if not love Lennon, pretty sure he was dealing with more than a few drugs during that period, and you'd have to think high was both a reality and concept, if nothing else.

Operation Mindcrime, this one is actually more relevent now than when it was released. The track "Speak" is fucking bad ass.

The Wall.

Animals.

Any of the many Who concepts.

Hemispheres

No Quadrophenia fans here?

I'm one.

I missed it above, sorry. I really liked Quadrophenia a lot when I was a teen, but I don't think it wears as well almost 40 years later. All that mods and rockers stuff seems so, I don't know, juvenile. But 5:15 and Love Reign o'er Me are still great songs.

I know all of you guys are rock and rollers for the most part, but I'll again stress that if you don't have Red Headed Stranger in your collection you are missing a seminal work of American music. It's still as good to me today as the first time I heard it. It's just Willie on vocals and guitar, sparsely and beautifully accompanied with piano, drums, and harmonica. This record is one that makes me miss vinyl more than any other. The dust jacket and liner notes were beautifully done and really enriched the listening experience. Probably my favorite tune from the whole record is the instrumental of the old altar-call hymn "Just As I Am", with Willie picking it out on his old battered Martin alternating his sister Bobbie on piano.

tumblr_m1zbrq3tQv1rriqpto1_1280.jpgtumblr_m1zbrq3tQv1rriqpto2_1280.jpg

"Quadrophenia", and The Mothers of Invention "We're only in it for the money (Phase 2 of Lumpy Gravy)"

Had a chance to listen to a remastering of Dark Side of the Moon, in Quadraphonic last weekend.

The remix was made in 1974 by Alan Parsons (who mixed the original DSOTM in 1972.) It was finally re-released in in 2011 as part of the immersion series.

Played on a BlueRay 4 channel DVD (96Khz, 24 bit uncompressed recording, streaming at something like 670Kb/s) into a Techniques SA8500X quad amp, and 4 Klipsch Synergy F-30 speakers.

An amazing sonic adventure....

Had a chance to listen to a remastering of Dark Side of the Moon, in Quadraphonic last weekend.

The remix was made in 1974 by Alan Parsons (who mixed the original DSOTM in 1972.) It was finally re-released in in 2011 as part of the immersion series.

Played on a BlueRay 4 channel DVD (96Khz, 24 bit uncompressed recording, streaming at something like 670Kb/s) into a Techniques SA8500X quad amp, and 4 Klipsch Synergy F-30 speakers.

An amazing sonic adventure....

Indeed. Well done!

I was at the Rainbow in London in Feb 72 when it was first played (well, most of it). Still stuck in my memory as one of the seminal events of my life.

Aqualung

Sitting on a park bench,

Eyeing little girls with bad intent...

Not too PC these days, but that was then.

See post #5

and poestes 10, 11, & 21

:)

Reading this put Quadrophenia back in rotation. A masterpiece. The mods v rockers thing disn't apply much in early 80's OC (even though we did have one anachronistic mod-RIP Guinea) even tje punks v hippies and cowboys and stones v preppies battles are long over. But in one's 5ps, one considers how much one gives a shit abut fitting into this or that group, and Quadrophenia comes back around. A masterpiece.

See post #5

and poestes 10, 11, & 21

:)

Reading this put Quadrophenia back in rotation. A masterpiece. The mods v rockers thing disn't apply much in early 80's OC (even though we did have one anachronistic mod-RIP Guinea) even tje punks v hippies and cowboys and stones v preppies battles are long over. But in one's 5ps, one considers how much one gives a shit abut fitting into this or that group, and Quadrophenia comes back around. A masterpiece.

+1- Pretty much wore it out quickly. Not the music- the actual vinyl.

I know all of you guys are rock and rollers for the most part, but I'll again stress that if you don't have Red Headed Stranger in your collection you are missing a seminal work of American music. ...

tumblr_m1zbrq3tQv1rriqpto1_1280.jpg

Hell yeah!

-DSK