• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
bhyde

Lake Oroville Dam - Stand Back

Consider the horsey stuff just filler to keep the thread up near the top until something happens, ( with luck, the all clear message), ya gotta admit it's better than 'bump'.

Mustang, I can say that because I are one. B)

Consider the horsey stuff just filler to keep the thread up near the top until something happens, ( with luck, the all clear message), ya gotta admit it's better than 'bump'.

ok fair enough - at least i freaked Chris out a bit!

You mean mr ed the talking horse? Hes going to help evacuate people from the dam? Wtf is wilbur going to do?

I never understood why Mr Ed needed Wilber anyway. If he just let people know he could talk, he could buy & sell 1000 Wilber's.....

13bad.jpg

Woody, its impossible to take you seriously.

Try talking about the Dam

Amazing how many tasteless horse pix there are to chose from

That even I wouldn't post

The Shep PiX not so bad :-O

13bad.jpg

Fuck you Woody. You deposit shit on many threads here, especially in the mighty fine Random Pic thread. You have some fucking nerve because people want to talk about something else in this thread. Do you really think you are going to accomplish anything regarding the situation in California. I don't think so. All of a sudden you get all pissy because somebody is distracting attention from what you posted. Bite me Wood man. Go sail your woody, Woody and fuck off or masturbate to your cougar photos.

13bad.jpg

Fuck you Woody. You deposit shit on many threads here, especially in the mighty fine Random Pic thread. You have some fucking nerve because people want to talk about something else in this thread. Do you really think you are going to accomplish anything regarding the situation in California. I don't think so. All of a sudden you get all pissy because somebody is distracting attention from what you posted. Bite me Wood man. Go sail your woody, Woody and fuck off or masturbate to your cougar photos.

have I ever posted anything that was not a random Pic into the Random Pic thread ??

have I thrown a temper tantrum in this thread ??

guess this thread is getting hazardous

54818949.jpg

13bad.jpg

have I ever posted anything that was not a random Pic into the Random Pic thread ??

54818949.jpg

Bite me Woody, just bite me.

13bad.jpg

54818949.jpg

Bite me Woody, just bite me.

It must be really Cold where you are

unlike the 73 & Sunny here (72 @ SAN)

Current conditions at San Diego, San Diego International-Lindbergh Field (KSAN) Lat: 32.73361°NLon: 117.18306°WElev: 13ft.
bkn.png

Mostly Cloudy

72°F

22°C

Humidity 51% Wind Speed WNW 10 MPH Barometer 30.25 in (1024.4 mb) Dewpoint 53°F (12°C) Visibility 10.00 mi Last update 21 Feb 12:51 pm PST

tenor.gif

While out ridin the Harley

I was wondering just what could get so far under someones skin enough to inspire the rant above

about posting Off-Topic - of the thread heist topic = Irony at it's best

Only possible thing I can think of

Might be:

That was in reference to Pix offered on the Interwebz Not above in this thread

for those who Must see to believe or understand "Click on the Link" I however Really do NOT recommend doing so

other than that I can't imagine a regular of the forum would have such thin skin

But this place never ceases to amaze ^_^

That's because horses are a PITA to own and maintain. You have to love the lifestyle and be really committed to own horses.

I couldn't do it. Considered it and off to the Honda dealer I went for a quad after about 1 day of contemplation.

Good decision for me.

Horse? Brush and feed daily. Exercise almost daily. Farrier and vet. $$$ and lots of time involved.

Maintaining all the tack is just more time.

Quad? Turn on, hit start, do the chores and put away. Changing the oil is a bit of a pain on the Foreman because of skid plate you have to remove also works as a lot + pressure on the oil filter so it can't shake loose. I like the concept but it's hard to get the bolts started when putting the plate back on.

They love their horses and all that goes with it.....and just like you say.......LOTS goes wth it. I sorta get it, they're beautiful critters. There is nothing they won't do for their horses.....and during a brush fire evacuation.......just try to tell them they need to get out now and leave the horses....just try...........

Funny, my Truck Captain wasn't a horse guy but his wife was. So on the call I mentioned he was there and the guy who got kicked was refusing care because he didn't want to leave the horse and his wife.......but he REALLY needed to go to the trauma center. So the medics are arguing wth him about going. The Truck Captain walks over to one of the medics and says..."let me chat with them...I speak horse". He did.....it worked.........

I got stories..........

First words out of any horseman's mouth after any accident, "Is my horse ok?"

'There's something about the outside of a horse that's good for the inside of a man.' Churchill

You don't get that with a machine...

sure you do, sailboats have all the same emotions horses do... and they get angry at you too. especially dinghies.

No, boats can't just decide to fling you into the ground...they may fling you but it's not a choice- I've never had a boat side step and hip check me into the boat next to me... fucking Artie- goofy ass horse..

Then... you never sailed an IOR 'war horse' in a blow in the ocean.

How else do you think those beasts got their name?

I've come to the conclusion Woody has bad eyes.

Lots of large type, always double-spaces his own posts. I don't think he can see that well. Needs all the help he can get to read his own shit, which may well be, in many cases, the only reading its gonna get.

Dam's fine.

Who started the horsey shit anyway?

Sorrel about that...you can lead a thread to water but...

But if you really want to make it drink, you put about this much

-----------------------------

-----------------------------

scotch in it.

Gotta finish this ark first. Btw, what's a cubit??

If you're flippin somebody off,

it's the distance from your elbow to the end of your bird finger

What's that in cunthairs?

a9bd2a41ae2b885019294b039f2a3b6f.jpg

Does it adjust for red cunt hairs?

Does it adjust for red horse cunt hairs?

fixed

ok fair enough - at least i freaked Chris out a bit!

I was miffed in a good way in the end should not bitch because I never post or link to content . Im just another user. This samsung pad its all I can do to type.

and that from the horses mouth :o

In DAGO they just added 175' to the top of the Largest reservoir upstream in the Mission Valley River

While at the same time they are building like Crazy in Mission Valley

And allowing the Riverbed to Silt-Up all the way to the Ocean Making "Nature Preserves"

In what should be recognised as a DRAINAGE Ditch

But people Love their little Wall of Condos & the Fucking city Loves their property Tax

you should NOT be able to buy Flood Insurance in a Actual River bed !!!!!!

Personally I like them building UP-Stream As long as what they build is Built to withstand a Dam Failure

Condos are more built to wash away and add debri to the Raging River

We're Fucked

Even moreso if an EarthQuake is the cause :mellow:

FLY012820170172.JPG

The lower road in the wishbone to the right went over the top a couple rears ago before they started the Just finished addition :o

what would that do to the amount of energy being held back 3X ???

There's the actual construction costs:

and then there's the

California Costs:

prevailing wages

materials from "approved" suppliers

Governmental inspections and monitoring

No doubt there's undocumented costs as well.

and then there's the

California Costs:

prevailing wages

Who needs inspections when America is full of ethical, scrupulous contractors who pay all their bills on time and never cut corners?

I heard there are some places with 25 feet of base in the Sierra, thats pretty spectacular.

Yep.

A metric shed-load of work to be done. A proper spillway fix (an arch bridge over the new spillway canyon, perhaps, or redirect it down the new channel it gouged), and digging out the millions of tons of topsoil and rock washed into the river, and shoring up the rest of it - this will take a couple of years. They have a couple of months before that snowpack comes down.

As before, it's not over yet, folks.

I'm glad I gave up civil engineering. This one is a no-win.

Two more feet this weekend and snow is so deep its over the measuring sticks in a lot of areas I heard someone say today. I rememner standing next to the Stanislaus outside Arnold one year in the ewrly 80s when we got rained out at bear valley so we hiked to the river. The noise and the sheer amount of water was unbelievable. That time we could almost not make it down highway 4. We had to ford some 2 foot deep streams accross the road. I remember looking down on the central valley and seeing more evening sun shining off water than I thouhg possible.

and then there's the

California Costs:

prevailing wages

Who needs inspections when America is full of ethical, scrupulous contractors who pay all their bills on time and never cut corners?

Had the Government inspections and monitoring been done competently and the powers that be paying attention, there would be no need to rebuild after the disaster. That California is run by non-ethical, tax fattened politicians, and has a cadre of public employees who include some who are less that scrupulous and energetic is the issue.

Riverbanks collapse after Oroville Dam spillway shut off

By Kurtis Alexander and Tara Duggan

March 4, 2017

920x1240.jpg
Photo: Santiago Mejia, The Chronicle

The damaged main spillway of the Oroville Dam was closed to clear debris, causing a rapid drop in the Feather River.

When state water officials scaled back their mass dumping of water from the damaged Oroville Dam this week, they knew the riverbed below would dry up enough to allow the removal of vast piles of debris from the fractured main spillway.

But they apparently did not anticipate a side effect of their decision to stop feeding the gushing Feather River — a rapid drop in river level that, according to downstream landowners, caused miles of embankment to come crashing down.

With high water no longer propping up the shores, the still-wet soil crashed under its own weight, sometimes dragging in trees, rural roads and farmland, they said.

“The damage is catastrophic,” said Brad Foster, who has waterfront property in Marysville (Yuba County), about 25 miles south of Lake Oroville.

The farmer not only saw 25-foot bluffs collapse, but also lost irrigation lines to his almonds. “When the bank pulled in,” he said, “it pulled the pumps in with it. It busted the steel pipes.”

Officials at the state Department of Water Resources, which runs the dam, said Friday that they’re monitoring the river for erosion. But they declined to discuss the situation.

The department is already wrestling with the problem of endangered salmon becoming trapped in riverbed pools since the outflows at the dam were cut. The falling riverbanks, reported mainly in Sutter and Yuba counties, are just the latest outgrowth of the state being forced to quickly increase and decrease flows from the swollen reservoir since early February.

• 920x920.jpg

Photo: Chris Kaufman, Special To The Chronicle

IMAGE 1 OF 13

Staff and contractors with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and the California Department of Water Resources rescue fish trapped in a small pool near the Feather River in Gridley.

The crisis began last month when the main spillway, which moves water from the lake into the river below, inexplicably ruptured. Five days later, about 180,000 people had to evacuate when an emergency spillway was activated and then nearly failed, threatening to send a wall of water downstream.

The state has since brought down the lake level, using the damaged main spillway and taking advantage of a break in the wet weather. On Monday, dam operators reduced outflow on the main spillway from a robust 50,000 cubic feet per second to zero in a matter of hours. Just 2,500 cubic feet per second was left running from a small auxiliary outlet.

460x1240.jpg

The farm communities around Yuba City, where much of the riverbank damage was done, saw the rapid drop in water the next day.

“Most of the time, they’ll give us three to five days, maybe even a week to lower the river,” said Phillip Filter, who’s been growing prunes, walnuts and peaches on waterfront property outside the town of Live Oak (Sutter County) for decades. “But what they did to this Feather River now is just ridiculous.”

He said he has nearly three quarters of a mile of bluffs along the river, and that most of it crumbled. Many of the trees and bushes that form a natural buffer between the water and his crops, sometimes spanning dozens of feet, fell into the now slowly running river.

With the vegetation gone, Filter worries his land is even more vulnerable to erosion once the water level bounces back.

“Our concern is that if it does come up again, it will get into our cropland,” he said.

His niece, Julie Filter, who lives nearby, lost a road on her orchard.

“Our tracks where we had driven have fallen off and are in the river,” she said.

State officials, in an email to The Chronicle, said the reduction in outflows from the dam was “managed in a way to reduce risk to levees.” The email said nothing about the riverbank, except that local government agencies were responsible for addressing any erosion because it was private property.

920x1240.jpg
Photo: Santiago Mejia, The Chronicle

Phillip Filter walks out of his damaged land next to the Feather River in Live Oak (Suttery County). His land was flooded by the Feather River when the Oroville Dam overflowed and then eroded his property when the embankments collapsed.

The eroded lands are within the Feather River’s floodplain. They’re generally located between the river and levees that are designed to allow flooding there, but not beyond. Owning land between the river and the levees comes with a certain amount of risk.

Yuba County’s emergency operations manager, Scott Bryan, who has surveyed the deterioration of the riverside, said he hasn’t seen anything like it.

“The landowners understand that the water will come up and do damage to their trees, but this is different,” he said. “This is actual loss of their land due to sloughing.

“I can’t tell you 100 percent it was because the Department of Water Resources allowed the water to drop too rapidly,” he said. “But it’s consistent with that.”

920x1240.jpg
Photo: Chris Kaufman, Special To The Chronicle

Kevin Moncrief, a California Department of Fish and Wildlife scientific aide, counts and measures fish rescued from pools formed when the river flooded.

The quick draw-down of water also left chinook salmon and steelhead struggling to survive in isolated pools and puddles on the river’s edge. The fish, which migrate to the Pacific Ocean, were trapped as the main stem of the river swiftly shrunk.

Biologists and staff from the state Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Department of Water Resources have been mucking through the muddy shores in an extensive rescue effort that continued Friday.

Between Tuesday and Thursday, crews saved close to 1,900 trapped salmon and steelhead, including more than 1,700 juvenile fall-run chinook salmon, plus 1,500 to 2,000 fish of other species.

The state sent as many as 14 boats a day down the Feather River, each with four people equipped with high-resolution aerial photos to guide them to the isolated puddles and ponds, many 50 to 100 yards away from the river, hidden by thick mud and underbrush. They plan to carry on as long as they find fish, possibly through Saturday.

“Often they’re not accessible. It’s one thing to be looking at a map and one thing to be tromping through the mud,” said Andrew Hughan, a spokesman for Fish and Wildlife, who was on the scene.

Young salmon in the area had to be rescued weeks earlier when debris pouring into the river from the damaged spillway clouded up water in the Feather River Fish Hatchery 4½ miles downstream, endangering the lives of 8 million hatchlings. Those fish were too young to be released into the river, so the Department of Fish and Wildlife trucked most of them to another holding facility. Many were lost.

On Friday, state officials said lower water levels beneath the dam enabled crews to clear enough debris from the broken spillway to restart an idled hydroelectric power plant. Concrete debris in the river had caused water to pool near the facility, increasing pressure on the turbines and threatening to damage them.

The power plant also serves as a river outlet, which will provide dam operators another way to release water from the lake. The plant can release more than 14,000 cubic feet of water per second.

Kurtis Alexander and Tara Duggan are San Francisco Chronicle staff writers. Email: kalexander@sfchronicle.com, tduggan@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @kurtisalexander, @taraduggan

Seems pretty consistent with DWR. Get caught not maintaining the dam, the dam nearly fails, and ow everything is a reaction without much though of what unintended consequences may lurk just beneath the surface.

I heard there are some places with 25 feet of base in the Sierra, thats pretty spectacular.

Yep.

A metric shed-load of work to be done. A proper spillway fix (an arch bridge over the new spillway canyon, perhaps, or redirect it down the new channel it gouged), and digging out the millions of tons of topsoil and rock washed into the river, and shoring up the rest of it - this will take a couple of years. They have a couple of months before that snowpack comes down.

As before, it's not over yet, folks.

I'm glad I gave up civil engineering. This one is a no-win.

My take is since there is already a road leading straight to the worst bit it can be filled, and that will be quicker (permit wise) than the engineering of a bridge over God Knows What. A significant portion of the lower section appears salvageable, definitely on bedrock and took a lickin' but kept on tickin'. "Just" re-join that puppy up and pave the emergency spillway.

Sound reasonable?

Not really.

The ability to patch the spillways probably exists:

using helicopters or winched carts (assuming that there's a road up to the top of the spillway) to dump boulders and then pour cement into hand set rebar, can probably get the main spillway functional. The emergency may be harder to grade/cover

what there's not time to do is to dig out the rubble and shore up the stream beds as needed to allow a high volume discharge.

The ability certainly exists, and so do the road(s), but filling that gap with helicopters would be like filling a swimming pool with teaspoons. "Winched carts"? -can you google up a pic of what you are referring to?

Nope, would have to be built on site. Think of dump trucks trying to back down the spillway, with a winch at the top to belay them.

I recently found a series of photos posted of the bad Teton Dam failure of 1976. It was a similar sort of earthen structure as the main Oroville dam, built about the same time. Fascinating series of photos the morning it failed, keep scrolling through:

http://www.geol.ucsb.edu/faculty/sylvester/Teton_Dam/Teton%20Dam-Pages/Image0.html

Talking to a geologist/civil engineer friend on the Oroville remediation project, the real worry it seems is that the flow off the failed main spillway will continue to erode that hillside It's a main buttress to the Northwestern end of the primary dam, and the worry is that that end of the primary dam will become stressed and start leaking.

Spring snow-melt is happening, and the spillway will be back in action this weekend, despite its condition. Erosion will continue.

It's not over yet.

I recently found a series of photos posted of the bad Teton Dam failure of 1976. It was a similar sort of earthen structure as the main Oroville dam, built about the same time. Fascinating series of photos the morning it failed, keep scrolling through:

http://www.geol.ucsb.edu/faculty/sylvester/Teton_Dam/Teton%20Dam-Pages/Image0.html

Talking to a geologist/civil engineer friend on the Oroville remediation project, the real worry it seems is that the flow off the failed main spillway will continue to erode that hillside It's a main buttress to the Northwestern end of the primary dam, and the worry is that that end of the primary dam will become stressed and start leaking.

Spring snow-melt is happening, and the spillway will be back in action this weekend, despite its condition. Erosion will continue.

It's not over yet.

Dam !

It's not over yet.

That erosion is not greatly feared, it has already scoured-out channel to solid rock for the most part. That bedrock was close to the surface there was most fortunate or the whole thing would be gone, I reckon.

It's not over yet.

That erosion is not greatly feared, it has already scoured-out channel to solid rock for the most part. That bedrock was close to the surface there was most fortunate or the whole thing would be gone, I reckon.

Yes, that's mostly right.

But in this case, the bedrock isn't a continuous stratum - there are lots of interruptions and loose rubbly bits mixed into it, which fragments it under heavy water pressure. That's why three million tons of it washed out into the river, including some pretty large rocks. This is what's being dug out. The geologists are all over the place looking at it.

But erosion of that hillside will continue, hopefully not as bad as February, but slow and continuous..

I'm not saying there will be a catastrophic dam failure, but in the 2+ years it will take to repair the main spillway and stabilize the hillside, it's still a worry.

Two years? Only if they have some reason to make it such. I suspect the plan will be to patch that baby up before the next rainy season, barring some plan to make it un-needed next winter..and un-needed for sure. I suppose keeping the water level below normal might make that possible, but that would be at the cost of less reserved water. They would be gambling on their not being another drought this summer there. Filling the gap half way one year would risk it being washed out to the bottom again next winter.

That would of course require legislative action of shorten up the permitting a wee bit. Speaking only of the concrete by-pass spillway here, the emergency "spillway", the hillside, is another matter.

It's not over yet.

Leak to breach in 60-90 minutes. Mother Nature is vindictive when she chooses.

That dam is enormous. I would think Two years is optimistic. There is a grand canyon gorge there now ;-) Those Wyoming dam shots are eerie J.

It's not quite that big. (;

The most obvious plan would be to strip topsoil from a large section of the hill to the right, get a dozen or two D-10s to get the freshly exposed fill dirtit over the lip, pour some crete, redistribute the topsoil over the re-contoured hill, throw some seeds and.....it's Miller Time!

This assumes perhaps more soil there than there actually may be though..so there be some thinkerin' to do...but even if it had to be shoved from a quarter mile away it could be done over a couple months.

As expected, they opened the main (damaged) spillway again today to drop the lake level. Estimates are that it will run at 50,000cfs (50,000 cubic feet per second) = 1,500 tons a second, for a week. It will be interesting to see if the shotcrete repair under the lip holds up (doubt it, somehow), and also how much new eroded material arrives in the river.

Rinse and repeat last week's labor until the dry season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-O485hpgU

Not seeing a lot of color change in the river between upstream and downstream of the spillway so it appears not a heck of a lot of scouring is going on...anymore. What could be easily scoured has been.

DWR managed project? Expect paralysis by analysis, difficulty choosing from the 2,086 different engineering solutions. Then EIR time, prevailing wage, minority contractor preferences, local hiring rules, and... next year is wet again, and they are still stuck in the what should we do phase.

Call CC ************, give him a deadline, a budget and a bonus schedule and he'll be done pronto, and done right. On time and under budget.

Leave it to the bureaucrats, and it will be years late, billions over budget and most of the hand wringing will be over who to name the spillway after.

Edit: WTF? Posted "CC ************" and my post came back CC ********. What happened to the ************ part? Meyerophobia? Is "M e y e r s" a banned term? every time i used it i get *'s.

Does this mean I now have warning points?

TL;DW

I put it all together just for you and was going to email it to you

then I thought it might be too long for you to watch not being that interested

so I figured i would post it here in case anyone else was interested

I was going to include a survey to see who didn't care but didn't

if I do yer comment has been noted

nice to see you are concerned with length of posts relating to a thread topic

Oh wait .............................

To digress slightly, I remember when the Teton dam collapsed there was a prominent politician - perhaps a Wyoming senator, who was ruined by it - was at least partially blamed for it because he was involved with pushing it through IIRC.

Anybody remember who he was?

1 of 3
Overnight flooding washed out Highway 395 near milepost 248, about 19 miles north of Colville.
LOCAL APRIL 14, 2017 6:03 PM Overnight flooding washes out Highway 395 north of Colville

Tri-City Hera

If you think this winter and spring have been hard on Franklin County roads, check out this section of Highway 395 in Ferry County.

The Ferry County Sheriff’s Office posted these pictures on its Facebook page Friday of the damage from overnight flooding

The road is washed out near milepost 248, about 19 miles north of Colville.