Marcjsmith

College Anarchy

So been in a bit of a drought.  Wait listed at u wash, accepted to Pitt, but no to the main campus, one of th satellite locations well out of town...

But today got good new from catholic university school of nursing with a 19k scholarship.  Renewable each year for 4 years....

hopefully mor good news to follow in the next  couple weeks and we can put this all behind us....

It's easy to get caught up in the size of the awarded money. But you have to look close at the net amount owed. The difference in starting tuition can be huge. Plus some of the other fees and costs. My son went to a school that offered him much less in merit based money then his second option. But when we did the math, he wound up spending less out of pocket. 

Oh yeah I know.  Money from catholic and Duquesne is nice,  but after all is said and done. Catholic is about 10k more than Duquesne.  But much closer to home which wifey likes.   But ultimately it’s not my or wifeys choice but daughters choice.  

Late in the game to be bringing this up, but Vanderbilt has a great nursing program and Nashville is a hell of a town to spend 4 years in.  

Wallcfa.   

My wife is a commodore.   And my daughter spent a weekend down there with school music.  She did not like it.  Something did not suit her....I also tried to get her to apply to my alma mater Florida.   Shands is a great teaching hospital as well.   

No desire.  

Case western reserve admitted her with a scholarship.  Top 20 ranked nursing program.   

OK so today is the big day...  according to my USPS app  we have a letter coming from G-town admissions...

now all previous college acceptance letters have  been large 9x12 envelopes  which never showed up on the mail scan and rejections or wait lists have either been email or standard business envelope

this envelope, however,  is standard business size. which does not bode well at first glance but all G-town letters good and bad are sent in a standard business envelope

However it is stamped at 68 cents.  not  47 cents.  to jump over the base postage means its more than a couple pieces of paper.  so its either admission or some sort of wait list...  its killing me...

2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

OK so today is the big day...  according to my USPS app  we have a letter coming from G-town admissions...

now all previous college acceptance letters have  been large 9x12 envelopes  which never showed up on the mail scan and rejections or wait lists have either been email or standard business envelope

this envelope, however,  is standard business size. which does not bode well at first glance but all G-town letters good and bad are sent in a standard business envelope

However it is stamped at 68 cents.  not  47 cents.  to jump over the base postage means its more than a couple pieces of paper.  so its either admission or some sort of wait list...  its killing me...

Good luck!  My cousin's daughter is going to be a Hoya next year.

GOod luck! My kiddo got into some nice schools, but not her top one, and she was wait listed at two other super competitive schools. Hard part of being a parent sharing that disappointment. I feel like we're a little stronger as a family though, but that was kinda brutal. The only thing I could say was use it to put your best into the school you go to and appreciate the opportunity that much more.

• Like 1

Ah....the mandatory college drama and agonies. Its a hard time. My brother just put twins in their first year. One at Utah State and one at Penn State. The one at Utah is quite happy (outdoorsy kid) the one at Penn State isn't. He complains the school is filled with nothing but party kids who care less about education and more about drinking. So he intends to transfer to a Cali UC School as soon as he can get the transfer arranged. Cracks me up...actually that'll help my brother since he'll be able to pay instate tuition now!

My buddy had a similar but worse story, his son had a significant soccer scholarship (not full ride but lotsa help).....somewhere, I don't remember.....and after his first year announced he was walking away from the scholarship to go to BYU because....his girlfriend was going there and he missed her too much. After some objections, my buddy gritted his teeth and agreed. Pretty happy ending though, the kid still got some help as a walk on and he wound up marrying the girl and after 10+ years they have a beautiful family and happy marriage. So, I guess the kid knew...............

• Like 1

this reminded me of something my daughter just went through. a little letter arrived from school program she applied for and I asked her if it was thick or thin. she looked at me funny and didn't get the joke. she got in and did a happy dance and it was very cute. this was for middle school so not the same as your daughter, but it was to her.

anyways, fingers crossed for her. I like following stories like this one here.

I can empathize ....been there felt all that...in 2001 & 2003....2 years of overlapping expenses was rough on the family budget...LOL...it was like raining money when they both finished...ahhhhh

On 2/28/2018 at 12:47 PM, Marcjsmith said:

lasal...

I do see some practical experience and work future work related training with a 4 year degree(at least I did with mine),  but the other item that it shows, IMO, is commitment.  Commitment to follow through with a long term project.  A 4 year project that can be very difficult in which a lot of learning and growth take place.  some 4 year projects are easier than others...

Well said

Also..... the suscessful repayment of a student loan marks you out as disciplined , deliberate  and employable . 

Ok......so I got home.  No mail.  So I went to the basement and pulled on the tap of a scotch ale....

mail arrived about 15min later.   Got the mail. A package from case western scholarship info from Pitt and catholic. And a letter from gtown amongst the junk mail.    So down in my shop with the heat gun in practice on some junk mail.   

Then to the gtown letter...   some heat an a knife the letter opens

she got in....school of nursing.  23000 applicants. 1700 acceptance   I have been a drunk bulbering idiot for last several hours.   As parents we always want better for our kids....  god I hope she doesn’t fuck this up like I did...

• Like 6

Congrats. It is a great feeling when your kids get to where they want to be

Sailblue. If it was a bad letter. Wife and I wanted to be prepared to offer emotional support... you know. Snowflakes....

:)

Just now, Marcjsmith said:

Sailblue. If it was a bad letter. Wife and I wanted to be prepared to offer emotional support... you know. Snowflakes....

:)

All's well that ends well.....happy day !

Yes it is.  I’m 3 or 4 sheets to wind, daughter is at soccer practice and going to attend her top pick.   All is well with the universe and the stars are aligned.  Glad it’s a four day work week.

derelicte-  wife and I chatted briefly about it.  and felt if we knew going in that it was a rejection  we'd be better able to support her, while not getting to emotional ourselves...

you did what was best for your family so I can't fault you for that. I'm sure you are all relieved!

yeah  I'm glad the drama and waiting is over....now we move onto getting her all signed up dorm assigned, and look for some scholarships...

3 hours ago, derelicte said:

congrats! I'm not sure I would have opened her mail but good for her (and you). :)

I am surprised it wasn't sent by email. My son's graduate school stuff was done email with a letter follow up later

she had a few rejections that where emailed/online status updated electronically  but all of the acceptances were snail mail...

Thinking back my son who is a college senior now did early acceptance at his school and was informed by email at the same time as everyone else on a date and time the college set

Congratulations on getting her top choice!

We've had it more fuzzy. My daughter didnt have a top choice or a firm career when she started this. She applied to 11 schools. We were rather hoping some schools would winnow it down by not taking her. But she's 9/9 so far with two more coming this week. All the private schools and FL schools have thrown money into the mix too.

So we packedher off to the states for two weeks to visit the accepted schools she didnt rule out. We've eliminated three so far...

And yes, it's the net dollars not thw size of the grant you have to look for. The biggest dollar merit award so far would still be the most expensive of the remaining schools in consideration. One small private school with lower tuition and a smaller grant has made themselves competitive with FL state schools in-state costs. Kinda like that one...

great job for your daughter....  also  congrats on 25 years.  wife and I are at 23....

time marches on and stops for no one.

Congrats!

Back on the Vanderbilt thing. My wife and I both went...turned down my daughter flat.....too white and too Texan....

She ended up a Sewanee and drove up to Vandy to visit friends. Came back saying she was SO glad she didn't get in!  The right school can be a great blessing. Your daughter sounds like a rock solid kid! I wish her the best!

Hey Marc,

As a change of pace you might consider Miami University. No not the University of Miami in Florida. Good nursing program. Beautiful campus. College town atmosphere. 45 minutes outside Cincinnati so not all the way in the sticks. One of my daughters went there and loved it. It was a good foundation for her masters and PHD in anthropology. https://www.unigo.com/colleges/miami-university/q-and-a/what-is-your-overall-opinion-of-this-school-21/1

23 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Ok......so I got home.  No mail.  So I went to the basement and pulled on the tap of a scotch ale....

mail arrived about 15min later.   Got the mail. A package from case western scholarship info from Pitt and catholic. And a letter from gtown amongst the junk mail.    So down in my shop with the heat gun in practice on some junk mail.   

Then to the gtown letter...   some heat an a knife the letter opens

she got in....school of nursing.  23000 applicants. 1700 acceptance   I have been a drunk bulbering idiot for last several hours.   As parents we always want better for our kids....  god I hope she doesn’t fuck this up like I did...

Congrats.... to you, your wife, and daughter...  and also you daughters chosen profession... sounds like her head is in the right place.. 

Callahan...there are no more options.  After gtown nothing else matters.  

Hey Marc,

Congrats to you, your daughter, and your bank account.  I got into Georgetown and ended up at Fairfield instead. Parents couldn't swing G-town tuition at the time. Something about 5 brothers and sisters.

10 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

great job for your daughter....  also  congrats on 25 years.  wife and I are at 23....

time marches on and stops for no one.

Thanks. 

School #10 checked in with an acceptance today. 

We're just waiting for Bucknell, the last one.

It does fly by. We had to leave Oz for visa purposes so we're in South Island NZ for a week. With my daughter off in the states visiting schools it's like a 3rd honeymoon/preview of the empty nest.

Its been fun, which is good. It means being on our own will be strange bit not weird if you get what I mean. Still enjoying each other's company.

Callahan...

I’ve been a staff member at gtown for the last 14 years.  Part of the compensation plan is tuition benefits for family members.

otherwise there would be no way we could afford it...

Bucknell said yes too; waiting for the financial info. So she finishes 11/11.

I'm going to post the list, not to humble-brag (OK, mostly...) but because i want info. Anyone that went to one of these schools, sent a kid to one, knew someone that went to one, lives near one etc. - I'd love any feedback. I wasn't a familiar with all of them and we're still winnowing the list l. So if your co-worker went to school X is a raging asshole (Bull Gator made me ridiculously happy she didn't like UF) or if the drunken freshmen from school Y keep puking on your lawn, I want to hear about it.

From a program perspective she's interested in animal behavior and related sciences and the ability to minor in studio art. It's what drove the list .

Bucknell (PA)

Wheaton College (MA)

New College of Florida

Carroll University (WI)

Franklin & Marshall (PA)

Hampshire College  (MA)

University of New England (ME)

University of Maine

Admitted, but ruled out of the decision. The bigger schools were more fallback anyway. 

UC Davis (too far, too big, no $$$)

Indiana University (too big, no $$$, located in North Alabama)

Florida State University (too big)

Out of state tuition at state schools make them more expensive than private schools that throw incentive money at you. Go figure.

BJ,  very impressive list.  and not all people from UF are assholes...  my daughter was the wait list queen...  I can't offer any insight on any of the schools listed

New College is just down the road from me...small campus...smart... quirky...unique  kids....Sarasota is a young , upscale city...bay and beaches are very nice...winter weather is gorgeous...one of  my sons went to Williams College,Ma  the other UF......

Sarasota Young???? it must have change a lot since the early 90's  a lot of the west of coast of florida used to be known as gods waiting room...

one thing i noticed about the west coast of florida it seems to get a lot of midwesterners, rather than east coast of Florida which seems to attract  new yorkers, bostoners, ect..

35 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

BJ,  very impressive list.  and not all people from UF are assholes...  my daughter was the wait list queen...  I can't offer any insight on any of the schools listed

I know UF has produced some non-aholes. But boy has BG biased me!

6 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Sarasota Young???? it must have change a lot since the early 90's  a lot of the west of coast of florida used to be known as gods waiting room...

one thing i noticed about the west coast of florida it seems to get a lot of midwesterners, rather than east coast of Florida which seems to attract  new yorkers, bostoners, ect..

Speaking of Midwesterners, a key selling point on New College for me is that there is a Skyline Chili in Ft. Myers.

34 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

New College is just down the road from me...small campus...smart... quirky...unique  kids....Sarasota is a young , upscale city...bay and beaches are very nice...winter weather is gorgeous...one of  my sons went to Williams College,Ma  the other UF......

Williams is a nice school. It's the only school that flat-out rejected me back in the day.

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

Speaking of Midwesterners, a key selling point on New College for me is that there is a Skyline Chili in Ft. Myers.

LOL...Ft Myers is 1 1/2 hour each way from Sarasota.....yes Sarasota is a young vibrant city somewhat expensive as there is a lot of money in and around town....even Gods waiting room St Petersburg is booming and full of youngsters....go 5 miles in from the coast and the a people moving to Florida are from all over...traditionally mid westerners  wintered in Florida and many still do but the percentage has changed dramatically with most living here 365....

Keep in mind that big schools are really a number of schools gathered together under a single name. She will go to class with, likely live with, study with and socialize with a smaller group of kids. It will be either around her major or her extracurricular activities and big schools have the money to toss at those while smaller schools always have their hands out. 

Been a number of years but we found out of state schools would try to get close to in state costs with grants and scholarships to take away the financial part of the decision. It seemed in state factored that status into their offer of less scholarship money. 

We had one go really big school (40,000), one go big (32,000) and one mid small honors (14,000) all 3 were happy with their decision at graduation and we were happy when they graduated. 

Our Audrey did her undergrad in Biochemistry at Bucknell.

The huge benefit there is that she was able to get summer research positions on campus as a freshman and sophomore..  Most schools only offer that to upperclassmen and grad students.  Not sure if all departments offer those opportunities, but your daughter should inquire about that.   

Another thing to look into are the research offerings with the National Science Foundation.  Audrey landed a sweet job doing research at NIST in Boulder the summer after her junior year through the NSF.  They have a website where scientists post their research projects, and you can apply for them there.

And Lewisburg, PA is a nice town.

11/11...parenting win for you!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

LOL...Ft Myers is 1 1/2 hour each way from Sarasota.....yes Sarasota is a young vibrant city somewhat expensive as there is a lot of money in and around town....even Gods waiting room St Petersburg is booming and full of youngsters....go 5 miles in from the coast and the a people moving to Florida are from all over...traditionally mid westerners  wintered in Florida and many still do but the percentage has changed dramatically with most living here 365....

Yeah, my BIL and his family are in Ft. Myers. My daughter flew in there and he dropped her at New College tbe next day.

An hour and a half is nothing for an ex-Cincinnatian to get a proper five way at an actual Skyline! 

Deposit sent in to Bucknell for my daughter.

Go Bisons.

nice choice.  If you are ever traveling to DC to watch a bucknell away game.  let me know.   We can go out and have a couple drinks while we watch these two powerhouses slug it out...  :)

• Like 1

Well folks.

tomorrow the cord will be cut.  Daughter moved in On Thursday and on Sunday we have new student convocation and the goodbye lunch.

so far wife is holding strong but tomorrow afternoon I expect niagra falls.  

Kid has been bouncing off the walls for the last few weeks at home... met her fellow nursing students today.     She just can’t stop grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

My acceptance letter must have been sent in a corked bottle and never made it to the San Diego from the Gulf of Mexico.

She’s doing good.  I’ve crossed paths with her on campus a few times and she’s been to my office to print off some documents

she came home this weekend to celebrate my birthday with the family. Which made mama happy.

she tried out for a few plays, got a couple call backs but did not get an on stage parts.  Director asked her to be assistant technical director of “midsummer nights dream” so she’s got that as an activity

her schedule kinda sucks, but also kinda doesn’t.  No classes Monday or Friday. But she’s in class from dawn til dusk tues, wed and thurs.