• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
rmdanko

Holder 20 Mainsail swap

I may be crazy but I'm looking for opinions on a possible mainsail upgrade/swap

considering putting a Melges 20 mainsail on a holder 20

mast is the early heavier version, has swept spreaders and shrouds to support the mast, will work without the backstay

so the fathead/extra roach shouldn't be an issue

being sailed inland lakes in northern michigan really light air

found a relatively cheap used sail to try

tell me why not to

also, why do Melges 20 dimensions seem so hard to acquire ?

some kind of trade secret ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I looked into doing the same thing because I found a cheap(ish) Melges 20 main. I had the seller measure the foot, and he came back with: "The North mainsail measurements are about 281" luff and 118" foot". Which would make the foot a bit long...

Also, I was thinking of getting a beefy flicker for the fatter head. I'm not quite so sure eliminating the backstay is a good idea. (granted I sail in slightly higher wind)

If you go with it, let me know how it works out!

Without a backstay, the 20 degree sweep of the H20 spreaders will support the upwind sailplan in light-moderate breese. Breeze on or downwind, you run the real risk of a rig failure.

But I'm a sucker for this type of shenanigans, so have a go! ;^)

Without a backstay, the 20 degree sweep of the H20 spreaders will support the upwind sailplan in light-moderate breese. Breeze on or downwind, you run the real risk of a rig failure.

But I'm a sucker for this type of shenanigans, so have a go! ;^)

The actual OEM sweep is about 23 degrees and if you go out to the rail like I did it might be OK (maybe not for Hood River). I went with 27 and no backstay with the Viper spinnaker. Had it up in gust to 25 the other weekend and no problems. Yes, I'll post some pics at some point.

I have all of the parts, Melges 20 main and jib, new masthead crane and flicker

I just haven't had a chance to try them out yet, maybe next weekend

Should be interesting, I will take some photos and post em

Hoisted the mainsail and jib on the hard, jib is close, mainsail would need work

I have a local sailmaker looking at minor mods to both right now

photos attached

rsz_3melgers_20_jib.pdf

I have a Hot Foot 20 with a very roachy main that gives me problems clearing the backstay with a 40 inch flicker. Will try a stiffer flicker next year but too stiff could have its own issues. Thinking runners with no flicker might be less hassel in the long run. I am also thinking of a square top main next year in which case i would need to go with runners anyway unless I am convinced I can go without.

I recently raced against a J27 with a square top and runners. I was crewing on a B25. Breeze was 15 to 20 knts. The J was very under crewed 1st day 2 crew and second day 3. We spanked him with the B as we were 5 crew. I was hoping to see amazing upwind performance out of the j with the square top . I would have been more motivated to put in a sail order fora new square top. Did not happen but might have been a different story if the J had more rail meat.

I am really looking forward to hearing about your square top experience.

7 hours ago, JimB said:

I am really looking forward to hearing about your square top experience.

They make a pretty avatar.