• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
TalonF4U

North American Sun Fast 3200s

I recently brought a Sun Fast 3200 to the Virginia Beach, VA area.

I am eager to hear from other owners of the boats in North America. I don't have a clue how to make it tick, but it sure seems cool. I'm going to go do the Bermuda 1-2 this year and probably get my ass kicked.

If you think this post sounds like a confession of ignorance about the boat, and therefore a plea for help, you would be correct.

I recently brought a Sun Fast 3200 to the Virginia Beach, VA area.

I am eager to hear from other owners of the boats in North America. I don't have a clue how to make it tick, but it sure seems cool. I'm going to go do the Bermuda 1-2 this year and probably get my ass kicked.

If you think this post sounds like a confession of ignorance about the boat, and therefore a plea for help, you would be correct.

Unfortunately this reply has no value, the sunfast 3200 looks awesome, and I nominate you for gold star for most legit posting of 2017.... buys awesome boat, just gets after it, no fucking around.... bravo sir.

Brilliant, thanks Pearl. I was trying to get a hold of that guy. The email's going to read something like, "If you want to have a good close race that you will in all likelyhood win, please help." I'm curious what kind of sail inventory he's bringing. My boat came with pretty cruisy sails that look like they will last forever but weigh an arm and a leg.

Sail inventory is pretty key on these wider planing boats. The Pogo 12.50 thread has some good postings on inventory.

Upstart has excellent sails and Bert is a fantastic guy and a real gentlemen.

He was the recipient of the 2016 Spirit of Sailing Award in the Lake Ontario 600 for his selfless assistance to another solo sailor through the final 100 miles of the race.....if that shows anything he will definitely share his advice with you.

Good luck, wish I could do the 1-2 this year

Tell us what inventory came with your boat.

Ours has 2 full sets of sails, Light, Medium, #4, Pin Head Main and a Fathead Main, asym, sym & code 0. It is quite under powered in standard configuration and we happily sail in 24+knts with med and full main. Did you buy the one that has been on SA for about a year?

We have barber haulers fitted which improves pointing ability and this is easy to add.

If you haven't already done so, go to the Jeaneau website http://www.sunfast.fr/sailboat-sunfast-3200.html#ad-image-24 and download all of the technical docs.

I would also ask how you are planning to sail it? If singlehanded, I find that it becomes overpowered more quickly than I thought. I believe the sailplan is designed for a boat with a full crew...take a thousand pounds off the rail and your sail plan will change relatively drastically.

you're going to do the 1-2 in a boat you just bought? That sounds like a good plan.

We race one on SF Bay. Loves the breeze here, not so much in the light (winter). Upwind OK, goes downhill like a bandit. The owners race single and 2-handed too. Happy to connect you if you send me a pm. BTW, the mainsheet arrangement is crap, and takes some serious management.

42 South--

The boat has an old #1 and spare delivery main I don't use. The #2 looks great. Unfortunately the rest of the 'white sails' are kind of ocean-cruising vice ocean racing; they're One Sails. The #1 is a heavy spectra/technora number on a furler complete with sunbrella. The main is the same stuff, but well set up with three reef points. I'm going to have to suck that up for this race due to a lack of time/money to redo the sail inventory. I'm looking to add a large staysail set on a detachable inner forestay as a wrapper-stopper / method to go upwind when it's really honking. Solo, 25kts and waves is pretty overpowered with the jib and double reefed main. For more, I'll need a smaller headsail. The storm jib is a postage stamp.

Downwind inventory is a decent .75 sym, a really nice and very stable 1.5oz sym, and an A5 on a furler. The A5 does okay service as a medium/light wind reacher and the syms will get me downhill. I've done 18-22kts down the hill with a full main and the 1.5oz in moderate seas and it was just easy.

I can't spring for the full Code Zero package right now and am wondering if I could snake a used jib top or something to help for the reaches. Otherwise I suspect I'm going to get punished with my fat, heavy, RF cruising jib.

Ryley--Yep, i'm an idiot, and you can write all kinds of things on the forum about it; I'll miss out on those discussions though because i'll be busy this summer racing.

P_Wop: That mainsheet is driving me nuts. I've got some crazy ideas in my head for dealing with it, but I'd love to hear how other shorthanders do it before I reinvent the wheel. Can you put me in touch with that SF bay boat via PM?

wtf Steve? Hope you are doing well! Guess you've moved from Cali to VA and now racing 32' boats with crew instead of IC's....... what's up with that?

Anyways, hope you have fun with it and hollar at us when back in Austin!

Dave--Still have the Canoe (x2, actually). Moved here two years ago but been overseas doing not much sailing. I drive up to Newport periodically to remind myself how little I sail Canoes. The boat is fast, but the sailor...

42 South--

The boat has an old #1 and spare delivery main I don't use. The #2 looks great. Unfortunately the rest of the 'white sails' are kind of ocean-cruising vice ocean racing; they're One Sails. The #1 is a heavy spectra/technora number on a furler complete with sunbrella. The main is the same stuff, but well set up with three reef points. I'm going to have to suck that up for this race due to a lack of time/money to redo the sail inventory. I'm looking to add a large staysail set on a detachable inner forestay as a wrapper-stopper / method to go upwind when it's really honking. Solo, 25kts and waves is pretty overpowered with the jib and double reefed main. For more, I'll need a smaller headsail. The storm jib is a postage stamp.

Downwind inventory is a decent .75 sym, a really nice and very stable 1.5oz sym, and an A5 on a furler. The A5 does okay service as a medium/light wind reacher and the syms will get me downhill. I've done 18-22kts down the hill with a full main and the 1.5oz in moderate seas and it was just easy.

I can't spring for the full Code Zero package right now and am wondering if I could snake a used jib top or something to help for the reaches. Otherwise I suspect I'm going to get punished with my fat, heavy, RF cruising jib.

Ryley--Yep, i'm an idiot, and you can write all kinds of things on the forum about it; I'll miss out on those discussions though because i'll be busy this summer racing.

P_Wop: That mainsheet is driving me nuts. I've got some crazy ideas in my head for dealing with it, but I'd love to hear how other shorthanders do it before I reinvent the wheel. Can you put me in touch with that SF bay boat via PM?

Great boat, but you have to buy into the French way of sailing them to make them really shine.

Short term look at the new mainsheet set-up the latest boats have, they have re-jigged the cockpit and its a big improvement. Daniel Andrieu the designer has done a lot of mods to his 'old' boat as the test platform before they brought out the new ones.

Long term ditch the furler and go for a hanked on AP code 2 and code 3, and possibly a reef in the code 3 depending on what you are planning on doing. The ability to have horizontal battens is a huge benefit, furling jibs never quite work as-well

unfortunately the new deck layout won't fix the problem of the mainsheet wrapping around the tiller when you gybe off the wind......

Talon, I'm not saying you're an idiot. I'm wondering how you're going to qualify for the 1-2 in a boat you just bought. 100 miles and 30 hours in the boat you're going to sail, and you have to do it by May 22. The boat looks like it could be a great competitor and seems pretty well prepared, but it seems like an awfully big bite for something you just bought. 2019 seems more reasonable, but that could just be the conservative side of me that's crossed the stream a few times and wouldn't do it solo in a boat I barely knew. Your mileage may vary. Good luck and fair winds.

And don't worry, I won't give you another thought - racing starts too soon and I have too many jobs on my own boat to do before launch.

unfortunately the new deck layout won't fix the problem of the mainsheet wrapping around the tiller when you gybe off the wind......

Yes, its one PIA! But with a bit of practice, gybe by grabbing a handfull of ropes and that usually overcomes the problem.

Talon, if you send me a PM with your email address I think I still have the North Sails tuning guide which will give you a bit of info on setup and sails - the medium/#2 is most often specified with a reef point and soft hanks are the go.

We have a few more ropes with the twin running backstays for the fathead main.

post-5640-0-05527500-1488265063_thumb.jpg

Yes, its one PIA! But with a bit of practice, gybe by grabbing a handfull of ropes and that usually overcomes the problem.

Talon, if you send me a PM with your email address I think I still have the North Sails tuning guide which will give you a bit of info on setup and sails - the medium/#2 is most often specified with a reef point and soft hanks are the go.

We have a few more ropes with the twin running backstays for the fathead main.

attachicon.gif20140705_131647.jpg

Grabbing works fine if you have enough spare hands.

Jibing solo in flat water is no problem, because spins and mains jibe when I tell them to. Offshore in waves...different story. The first time I ever tried to jibe the boat under spin solo, it was about forty miles off of North Carolina in about 20kts during the delivery. The other guy was below, asleep, which is a great security blanket if you are about to try something like that. Anyway, I didn't broach, but I didn't really jibe. The other guy poked his head up to find me laying on the liferaft locker, steering with a fingertip, with everything wrapped in mainsheet. Not too pretty.

anybody know if one of the r2's made it to the states and if so what dealer has it?

thinking about a 3600 or a new or used 3200....pm me if u like I am aware of Invictus.

A length of 1/4" bungee with clips on each end and one of those big-ass cheap carabiners at Home Depot for hanging things like extension cords will solve the problem. Clip each end where the top gate is attached and run it forward of the backstay, then clip the whole mainsheet purchase in the carabiner. It holds the main purchase up and puts some friction on the system if the air is light, but you won't catch the tillers when gybing. Upwind just unclip the carabiner.

I am now aware that Invictus is under contract....perhaps I should have moved quicker!

My 3600 in NZ is for Sale. Fully sorted with a serious North Sails racing and cruising sail inventory. 2 forestays, one rod for hanked racing jibs and one complete harken furler for cruising. 2 3Di mains, Code zero, 3 asymmetricalshort + symmetric, staysail longer 1.6m prod. Full B&G instruments including autopilot. Heaps of upgrades. All safety gear for cat 2 offshore. It's pretty cocked. Just did the 1200mm Round North Island 2 handed race and won by 4 hrs on corrected time.

Price NZ $290k or near offer. Can take 15% (tax) off that if selling overseas.

I'm buying a cruising boat in Europe and taking the family sailing for a few years.

post-2072-0-36074900-1491160598_thumb.jpg