Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

akhcheung

Advice needed! Damage from racing

Advice needed

2 boats collide during a race.

Boat A has admitted fault and accepted liability for the damage caused to Boat B.

Assuming that there is no "betterment" in the repair to Boat B (i.e. she is repaired back to her existing condition before the collision):-

- is there a gentleman's rule that the owner of Boat A simply pays the full repair bill for Boat B no questions asked; or

- is owner of Boat A entitled to query the repair bill, pointing out what he thinks are exhoribant charges here and there

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I think both the owners of boat A and boat B should give up racing. These two clowns seem to figure in nearly every thread about breaking rules and colliding.

And when are A & B going to buy some fucking insurance!!

I think both the owners of boat A and boat B should give up racing. These two clowns seem to figure in nearly every thread about breaking rules and colliding.

^ FFS yes, this is Kiwi agreeing with an Aussie. Let's stop with these f'ng posts

...Same goes for those little boat's yer get with rule books,,ALWAYS crashin

The owner of boat B has probably said to his boat builder to go hard as the owner of boat A has agreed to pay for it before seeing a quote. Boat A should tell boat B to get quotes from 3 boat yards (to be known as Boatbuilder A, boatbuilder B and Brent Swain) If Boat B tell him to piss off then Boat A should get his bowman to bang boat B's owners wife whilst everyone else is in the protest room. To be safe bowman A should bang boat owners wife B somewhere where they want be disturbed. Maybe on boat C?

The owner of boat B has probably said to his boat builder to go hard as the owner of boat A has agreed to pay for it before seeing a quote. Boat A should tell boat B to get quotes from 3 boat yards (to be known as Boatbuilder A, boatbuilder B and Brent Swain) If Boat B tell him to piss off then Boat A should get his bowman to bang boat B's owners wife whilst everyone else is in the protest room. To be safe bowman A should bang boat owners wife B somewhere where they want be disturbed. Maybe on boat C?

Up North from here they do it in the Club Shitter :)

if you get it ya get it :rolleyes:

You missed something... Who is going to bang brent

Eeewww.

Do Canadian prisons have their own yacht clubs?

Brent Swain is too busy writing about how one his boats sailed up Mt Everest.

Brent Swain is too busy writing about how one his boats sailed up Mt Everest.

And is still crashing in the surf up there. However, the family is making do, making propane from old climbers and smoking the best bits.

not that far north / still in CA.

So Californian prisons have yacht clubs and where going to the Club Shitter has many meanings..oh dear...the Trump has to fix that.

Advice needed

Boat A has admitted fault and accepted liability for the damage caused to Boat B.

Assuming that there is no "betterment" in the repair to Boat B (i.e. she is repaired back to her existing condition before the collision):-

- is there a gentleman's rule that the owner of Boat A simply pays the full repair bill for Boat B no questions asked; or

- is owner of Boat A entitled to query the repair bill, pointing out what he thinks are exhoribant charges here and there

It's not always possible to repair something back to a previous condition. A repair will usually make something be very nice, while the condition before was mediocre. Why would you aim to repair it back to mediocre....?

I think it would be gentlemanlike if owner B presented the bill to owner A, and explained the bill, and let him ask questions about it and then agree. Maybe owner B wants a more expensive repair since he has to repair it anyway, and owner B only pays half of that.

Yeah, there's an unwritten rule. It's called don't be a lying dickhead. In other words, Owner B should conduct himself so that if he gets a repair bill and presents it to Owner A, Owner A already knows Owner B is trustworthy and the repair bill is what it should be. And Owner A should conduct himself so that when Owner B goes to discuss, he already knows Owner A will be willing to do what's right. It used to be called being Corinthian, or being a gentleman. These days I think it's called being a sucker. I blame Trump, Obama, Bush, video games, Facebook, millennials, and other things as soon as I think of them.

In the absence of any trust, I suggest A simply ask for an itemized invoice, not be a dick about how B could've gotten that done for $100 less if he'd talked to this one buddy he knows, and pay anything related to the collision repair. Sometimes it's the price of having a reputation.

Yeah, there's an unwritten rule. It's called don't be a lying dickhead. In other words, Owner B should conduct himself so that if he gets a repair bill and presents it to Owner A, Owner A already knows Owner B is trustworthy and the repair bill is what it should be. And Owner A should conduct himself so that when Owner B goes to discuss, he already knows Owner A will be willing to do what's right. It used to be called being Corinthian, or being a gentleman. These days I think it's called being a sucker. I blame Trump, Obama, Bush, video games, Facebook, millennials, and other things as soon as I think of them.

In the absence of any trust, I suggest A simply ask for an itemized invoice, not be a dick about how B could've gotten that done for $100 less if he'd talked to this one buddy he knows, and pay anything related to the collision repair. Sometimes it's the price of having a reputation.

Or call Lawyer A.

Advice needed

Hong Kong, Insurance, your are kidding??

I figured someone would be dead by now.

And then those P and S guys turn up, and the whole thing turns into a demolition fucking derby. And don't start me on W and L..... up,up, down, down, fuck you.

Too many fucking lawyers in this game.

In a more direct answer to your question:

1. It's generally regarded as good form for the at-fault party to pay for the damage

2. This can be done by insurance or by the person

3. It's reasonable to check the invoice before paying

4. It's not reasonable to be a nitpicking dick about it if you don't like the price. It is OK to be a dick about it if the other person is clearly trying to fuck you to pay for something that you didn't break.

I have had two collisions where it was not my fault and I was not paid. One was on my first day of racing when I was hit from behind by a boat that was not in my class. Caused $800 of damage. I didn't protest and the guy agreed it was his fault on the dock. Then when I presented the bill he said "my friends who saw the collision don't think that it was my fault", and refused to pay. Now, I always protest.

The other was also being hit from behind, but this one did over $12K of damage to my boat and one other that I was spun into. I won the protest and discovered that the person in question did not have insurance. So I claimed on my insurance. With a $1K deductable, I was still out of pocket. My insurance sent him a subrogation letter, and he refused to pay anything to anyone. The fleet told him not to come back next season and I have not seen him since. He had a reputation for "tagging" people to make their rule infractions clear. He obviously misjudged this one because he was the give-way boat and tagged me anyway.

So, be Corinthian or you get a reputation. One incident might not cement the rep, but if you get a couple of them or the damage numbers get big, the other owners will tell you to fuck off and not come back - refuse to accept entry fees, nag the shit out of you in the bar, make it hard to get crew and so-on.

Been on both sides of this question, sometimes it's impossible to not collide during a racing event. In the first instance a fleet member on port tried to cross and let me no option. His insurance made me whole and the boat was repaired. The second was my fault. I didn't see a boat under my #1 tried to avoid but, it happens... My insurance made him whole. Moral of the story? Have insurance and TELL THEM YOU RACE. They may deny your claim is you don't.

We really are quite lucky, I know of no other instance where an insurance company actually covers a "contest of speed".

On a similar subject, how many of you carry a multi million dollar umbrella policy that will cover you in the event of injured or (heaven forbid) lost crew while racing with you? I do. It's cheap.

Boat goes to the yard for repair, A & B attend a meeting with the yard to review the quote. They then agree on A either paying all or B chipping-in if there are items beyond 'repaired as before' the crash.

The working out who bangs who's wife/daughter/girlfriend and where can be negotiated after the boat is taken care-of first...

So Californian prisons have yacht clubs and where going to the Club Shitter has many meanings..oh dear...the Trump has to fix that.

Not a prison

Outside of the trappings of the Very Rich