• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
seilemannen

Instrumentation wireless/bluetooth

Hi,

I'm currently looking at instrumentation for regatta/cruising, Thinking of an alternative setup, with ipad pro with split screen as main display and Vaavud ultrasonic (bluetooth) windmeter.

Plenty of GPS on onboard already: my included Sentinel Gps tracker, The Vaavud, GOPRO camera, the Torqeedo engine, my phone AND my Ipad, still wondering if there is something to be gained adding a dedicated GPS?

I should maybe also have a depth/speed sensor, Is it worth setting up a Digital Yacht Wifi router network for this? or is there other wireless alternatives? (Not going to buy the new DX900+ Airmar bluethooth sensor)

Looking at the Cruzpro THD2 Depth sensor if I decide to add wifi, As I can se it outputs nmea directly to for example a Digital yacht wifi router. Anything else that you people would have for regatta/navigation?

I know probably 200 people will recomend me not to go down the ipad way :) but at the price of almost nothing compared to a full B&G/raymarine setup I will try it out.

It all depends what level of performance you're expecting.

Would have serious reservations in terms of relying on a stable heading from a sensor at the mast head. Pretty much the worst place for it. If you want to differentiate between heading and COG they you'll need a heading sensor as well. It's not on their website but Digital Yacht do a combined heading/GPS sensor if you want to avoid NMEA2000. If you are happy going the NMEA2000 route then the B&G ZG100/Lawrance Point-1/Simrad equivalent is also an option of the price point you're talking about.

You're probably going to have to supply wired power to the speed transducer so a wired signal isn't much more hassle. A standard airmar traducer like the DST800 would be a better call just because it's so common.

Take a look at the Digital Yacht iKomunicate too. It's includes a browser APP to turn any tablet into an instrument based on a Signal K data feed.

Alternately you could go for the racegeek d10 (www.racegeek.ie). Which will give you a properly daylight viewable display, GPS and heading sensor, inputs for your transducer and mast head unit and wifi hub in one go and keep the iPad for below decks/chart plotting.

By the time you've added up the cost of the iPod, ruggedizing it, led wired power to where ever you want to place it on deck, bought a wifi router and sensors etc. the cost is pretty much the same.

^ +1

You can install a basic system with speed, depth and wind and a single B&G T41 display for less than $1,400 if you shop around. If you want to forgo the wind sensor the basic system with speed and depth and a single B&G T41 display for less than $900. Add a B&G Vulcan 5 for $419 from Defender and you have your WiFi and ability to control/view the system with and iPad or Android tablet. This will provide a decent capability for cruising and club racing, and should you decide to expand in the future the NMEA 2000 backbone makes it easy. Something to be said to have a display that you don't need to worry about getting wet or being washed out by sunlight.

Doing it with consumer grade bits pieced together can be fun, until the weather is bad, at night, and you need accuracy.

Use proper marine components and cry once. Let your IOS run additional displays/apps that are not survival critical

Hi,

I have sailboat 30 ft and I would like to buy NMEA multiplexer with WifI (I have 0183 devices on board) and security system like weather sensor, motion detector, gas detector, etc. I have found many NMEA multiplexer and this security system: https://www.aquamare.co.uk/?s=YachtSafe&post_type=product
but the price ????
After I have found this:
Could I ask you, what do you think about?
thanks
David

The market is crying out for some innovation and it's so yesterday to have to cut holes and run long cable runs in our beautiful boats! We need some new players who are able to develop good products at a fair price and well supported. Velocitek would get my vote as their support is awesome and the quality good.

The market is crying out for some innovation and it's so yesterday to have to cut holes and run long cable runs in our beautiful boats! We need some new players who are able to develop good products at a fair price and well supported. Velocitek would get my vote as their support is awesome and the quality good.

I have same problem, I dont want to do holes for cables, so I would like to find wireless sensors.

I spoke with these guys and they told me, they prepare wireless link for all sensors, digital and also analog. For central unit will be possible to connect up to 250 sensors, it means no cables.

trying to go wireless so as not to drain the boats batteries have it's merits. and yes, i would say, Raymarine Wirless, formerly TackTick. but, if you want serious racing information, then go wired. Raymarine, B&G and the other top tier brands are the only way to go. on my J35 i run TackTicks and on my Mills43 i run a B&G H5000 system. i have and ipad that can talk to both system. and i run a Toughbook with Expedittion on the Mills43. just as a suggestion.

Running wires on a boat is one of the biggest pains in the ass there is. However, I'd wager that it increases instrument reliability by at least an order of magnitude compared to wireless. Some things are worth the pain.

Will be interesting to see how this new wave of Bluetooth sensors goes. The Airmar engineers where really bullish about the BT on their new transducer. For most of us the best performanve still comes from a straight up analogue transducer. Cant be beet for the money either.

Have the new ultrasonic Calipso on preorder too. If that turns out to be worthy then getting it working with the d10 will be well up the list of priorities.

I have no problem with wireless sensors, but true is wire is wire. It is very easy for me, the important things I have on wire. I have seen one interesting project on indiegogo, which is open and calculate with wire and wireless to. So it is up to me, want I need.

If you want look at this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/open-source-modular-seatalk-nmea-multiplexer

Hi,

I'm currently looking at instrumentation for regatta/cruising, Thinking of an alternative setup, with ipad pro with split screen as main display and Vaavud ultrasonic (bluetooth) windmeter.

Plenty of GPS on onboard already: my included Sentinel Gps tracker, The Vaavud, GOPRO camera, the Torqeedo engine, my phone AND my Ipad, still wondering if there is something to be gained adding a dedicated GPS?

I should maybe also have a depth/speed sensor, Is it worth setting up a Digital Yacht Wifi router network for this? or is there other wireless alternatives? (Not going to buy the new DX900+ Airmar bluethooth sensor)

Looking at the Cruzpro THD2 Depth sensor if I decide to add wifi, As I can se it outputs nmea directly to for example a Digital yacht wifi router. Anything else that you people would have for regatta/navigation?

I know probably 200 people will recomend me not to go down the ipad way :) but at the price of almost nothing compared to a full B&G/raymarine setup I will try it out.

The iKommunicate gateway is great, and if you want one, we have one we used for testing for sale now in the classifieds.

We agree! Hang in there, something better is coming soon.

Sailmon started off down that route. On board data hub with wifi to the mast display. Their instruments are now wired due to congestion issues, particularly when you're in the marina. It just doesn't work reliably.

Until someone brings out a self powered BLE paddle wheel -- come on Airmar, it's very doable -- everywhere internal you have to run a power cable to the sensors anyway so there's no saving in terms of cutting holes, although it does make it more convenient to use consumer tablets for APPs. Lots of cheep options for bridging between wire and wifi/bt out there already so there's not a lot of saving in putting the radio into every sensor.

The place where wireless has a clear benefit is for the MHU. You've got options from Raymarine, Garmin, LCJ and Calipso there.

In terms of ultimate performance the best is still a wired analogue B&G 213 though just as you get the best performance from an analogue paddle wheel (the new DST900 being the possible exception on the block)

Performance is a composite of functionality, accuracy and cost/convenience a distant last. Instruments that work in nice weather without interference and are viewable on a cheap display in a shaded pilot house have a place. Those that work reliably in nasty weather at a jammed turning mark in glare also have a place.

Using GoFree, Iregatta, Inavx etc as adjuncts is a great idea.

S

I have a Signet knotmeter transducer in very good condition and ancient Signet displays that still work. I would like to start transitioning to the Raymarine/Tacktick wireless units.

Does anyone know if I can interface the Signet to a Tacktick unit? I like the Signet for its ability to be pulled up into the boat for inspection - not sure that is possible with the Tacktic transducer - plus the Signet is apparently more accurate at low speeds than the Tacktick. I have wire to the Signet now. Is there a way to get the Signet signal to the Tacktick with wireless? Can I just connect it to the Tacktick hull transmitter?

BTW, I am comfortable with Arduino and somewhat with PCB design (rusty) so I'm pretty comfortable with the Signet side of this. What I am looking for is the interface specs that will let me access the Tacktick.

Tacktick transducers are either an Airmar

• ST300 (if there is a separate depth transducer),
  • DST800 with analogue speed and depth on NMEA0183
  • DST800 all NMEA0183

The Signet has a higher pulse rate that the transducers used by TackTick so I doubt just wiring it up to the hull transmitter will work. Not even sure you can buy a hull transmitter on it's own?

Using an Arduino to generate an nmea sentence and feeding that into a T122 wireless NMEA interface should work. You'll just need a MAX3232, which you should be able to pick up pretty easily.

The Signet will work with pretty low voltages (quite a bit lower than the ST300 etc.) but you still need to be careful of voltage drop out down the cable in terms of the signal voltage you provide and receive.

From there it just a matter of doing a running count of pulses over the previous second. The number of pulses in the previous second = the speed in 10ths of a KTS.

(yes you can pull a tacktic transducer into the boat for inspection)

Has anybody here gotten the new Calypso/Vaavud ultrasonic yet?  Just received mine and trying to get it set up. 

I'm not really concerned about rain and spray.  I mostly day sail and am rarely more than 10 miles from my dock. I don't want to invest what other systems cost.  I  got one of their handheld units and found it useful but I want to know the wind at the top of my stick.

This is a pretty old post but found it while trying to answer a question I have that is related.  I have interfaced a Signet speed transducer to an Arduino which outputs NMEA-0183 which is fed to the TackTick Nmea interface.  As a bonus, there is a second NMEA input on the Arduino so I use that to put my depth signals into the NMEA interface as well.

The Signet unit has electronics in it unlike the Airmar so interfacing to them is completely different.  The Signet is basically a 5 volt system -- think TTL.  It outputs a pulse train that is very clean.

On the other hand, the Tacktick interface to the Airmar sender is really strange.  There are no electronics in the Airmar sender other than the Hall effect device.  The power supplied by the hull transmitter is more like a series of pulses that are fed to a capacitor which discharges so you get these saw tooth power supply feeding the Airmar.

As was mentioned, there are twice as many magnets on the Signet so the gain would be very different.

All this said, I have no idea if you can hook up a Signet to the hull transmitter but I would be shocked if the hull transmitter power output could drive the Signet.

I am happy to share the Arduino code if you want it. It basically counts pulses for a fixed (programmable) time and calculates speed.  It can also filter the readings.  I have two speed senders, Airmar and Signet mounted port and starboard, and the Arduino averages them.

I will start a new post with my question.