Bob Perry

Something different for CA

I'll let you study the drawing without me explaining. Everything I have to say is here. Kim can tell you about the engine we are looking at. Kim can also explain the boat's mission.

My goal here was to create a boat that when it slid effortlessly by people would say, :What the hell is that?" Kind of the "Frankie effect":

Kim will explain the dinghy/tender situation. He has options.

I'll hold back the hull lines for a while. We are several iterations into the hull shape and probably have a few more iterations to go yet. There will not be a chine.

Once again, the answer to 95% of the questions will be, "Because that's what the client wants," the nature of the custom project.

Have fun with the new puppy.

KB%203%203-9-17_zpspccyll8r.jpg

KB%201%203-9-17_zpsumcrcupj.jpg

..I think that is cool! The only thing I do not like is that the rudder and prop are the two deepest features of the hull.

Seems like even a minor rounding could be expensive! But, I also know the geography of the PNW is way different than where I am at, and a grounding may be not be a concern at all.

Looks like it could go ten knots and not even make a wake. :)

I think if you have a tender with you in the PNW, grounding is probably not a concern.

Maybe logs though. I'd think it's big enough you'd have the space to stop at the speeds it'll go.

I like it for the water it's intended for. Yep.

I have a new style que, if you saw my post on origami. Well done. If I crush it in business maybe you can build two. Or maybe a smaller one will work.

This is weird. I have been building something similar but smaller, (mentally) to run the great loop, for over a year. Horses for courses.

From the land of Gar Wood she needs a chrome cut water up front ... Maybe some at the end of the sides too...

Bill Garden did quite a few quick powerboats with exposed rudders and props. Bill was the master of the PNW power boat. I did look into this aspect of the design. At this stage we are in the "preliminary" mode. Things will inevitably go through some evolution before we build. Steve at the Betts yard is a very competent powerboat designer and he will be working with me on this. He can't wait to build a powerboat in the Betts shop.

Sand blasted titanium is nice.

Kim don't do chrome..........

It's going to have to be stainless, then. We can live with that.

Carbon or??

The side doors are interesting.

I think carbon is the way to go. Weight will be the enemy.

I want those side doors to open like mini van doors do. But I don't want hardware on the topsides. It will be a challenge.

How does carbon work for log and anchor impacts?

Edit: serious question, I need to put something on my bow to stop the Delta gnawing away the stem.

Edit: serious question, I need to put something on my bow to stop the Delta gnawing away the stem.

Kevlar is a crazy material in that fibers have mind boggling tensile strength. In a composite, on the interior, it can stop a log I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Very nice! Can't wait to see some of Rasper's images.

Just wondering about how the bow of the tender sits with the engine box? To me it looks like a clash but I may be wrong.

Also given Kim's enthusiasm for anchors, how will an anchor fit with the forward cockpit?

Very nice Bob! Another nice PNW boat. I like the fwd cockpit. Reminds of when I was a kid and rode on the bow of my dads powerboat. I like the ability to pull the dinghy onboard too.

Interesting. Very stylish. Without having customer input I'd pictured a bit more displacement and Vee forward. Engine forward to get prop shaft more horizontal, and a deeper skeg with chastity strut to protect prop and rudder.

...Here's a cool Bill Garden design - 62' long and 7'-6" wide. Whooo Hoooo! :D

(...The waterline beam looks to be about 5' !!!!)36220d1255639397-missing-bill-garden-des

I'm just happy to learn that Nick, the old sport, has gotten himself married! Is it Daisy, do you think?

Here's what I was envisioning, but with 'Bob' styling instead of the Edwardian styling.

1997c35113d52908a2524b3317839f56.jpg

I'd push the wheelhouse forward a bit, and have a lounge area aft of it, a little higher than the aft house on this boat, but a roofline lower than the wheelhouse. Lots of windows on sides, perhaps an aft cockpit with lounge roof extended to stern. Lightweight dinghy atop the lounge, roughly 14', Whitehallish looking, perhaps with IB electric motor for silent cruising around the harbor. Long range not needed. The forward cockpit is a great touch...perhaps have the anchor in a hawsepipe so it's not hanging over bow, , and locate the windlass at a forward point in cockpit.

Would trim tabs be required?

Given the narrow beam, and speed not much more than hull speed probably not.

Bill Garden did quite a few quick powerboats with exposed rudders and props. Bill was the master of the PNW power boat. I did look into this aspect of the design. At this stage we are in the "preliminary" mode. Things will inevitably go through some evolution before we build. Steve at the Betts yard is a very competent powerboat designer and he will be working with me on this. He can't wait to build a powerboat in the Betts shop.

Sand blasted titanium sounds much better than chrome......so does SS.

CSR laminated a heavy layer of Kevlar onto the cutwater of FRANCIS.

It looks like it's going to need a bow and maybe stern thruster for 2 people to dock easily.

A bow thruster is going to be difficult with that forefoot and external ones are exposed to danger. Does Lewmar still make those retractable ones?

Edit. Looks great! interesting project!

I'm just happy to learn that Nick, the old sport, has gotten himself married! Is it Daisy, do you think?

Nice catch VALIS, I made Bob change the name from Darth Bottles when I was still in my hiding stage. (She will be black, I like dark hulls.)

Bob, feel free to go back to Darth Bottles if you so chose.

Sand blasted titanium sounds much better than chrome......so does SS.

The blasted titanium sounds really cool looking.

Kevlar is a crazy material in that fibers have mind boggling tensile strength. In a composite, on the interior, it can stop a log I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

See my Kevlar comment above.....yes you are correct.

Mission: cruise Salish Sea in style,maybe all the way up the inland passage to Alaska. (Maybe tender R2AK for my pal Jake.)

Engine: modern diesel 200-300hp. (Steyr comes to mind. Open to suggestions.)

Tender: maybe PT Spear, maybe PT Skiff. (Maybe tow my Hadlock 23 behind.)

Simple and light, long and narrow. Lots of sound proofing for comfortable cruising.

The FRANCIS LEE of powerboats.

You guys make a great team. I don't see a Darth Vader boat, more Obi Wan Kenobi. Practical and purposefull. Nothing dark side about it, except the topsides, those sound like they'll be dark.

Hmmm, it does seem to have the Death Star logo on the aft side of the cabin.

Kim, I'd lean towards a turbo diesel for lightweight and economy. Inline-6 is probably the smoothest running. Turbo will also help keep exhaust noise level down. Volvo makes several models:

Example:

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/AQUAMATIC/c_diesel_sterndrive/Pages/d6_330_DP.aspx

Perhaps worth considering...if the boat has enough volume aft, is a stern drive. Volvo makes one with counter-rotating props that's very efficient. Horizontal thrust rather than downward angling thrust of an inboard. Eliminates the rudder. I think they also kick up if hitting something. Only real downside is not having steering when in neutral, bow thruster would be needed.

Very noice.

Some thoughts and questions...

Not sure about the transom flag....with open gates. Single to one side, twins or ficticious?

Is the tender going to match? Make it a "mini me" and it will be like those russian dolls.

How do you anchor?

If it were me I'd want more overhang on the top aft, but I live somewhere warm...and sun hurts.

I'd look at yanmar for power.

Kim, I'd lean towards a turbo diesel for lightweight and economy. Inline-6 is probably the smoothest running. Turbo will also help keep exhaust noise level down. Volvo makes several models:

Example:http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/AQUAMATIC/c_diesel_sterndrive/Pages/d6_330_DP.aspx

Perhaps worth considering...if the boat has enough volume aft, is a stern drive. Volvo makes one with counter-rotating props that's very efficient. Horizontal thrust rather than downward angling thrust of an inboard. Eliminates the rudder. I think they also kick up if hitting something. Only real downside is not having steering when in neutral, bow thruster would be needed.

All of that is under consideration, so is a variable pitch prop.

(I have had several different styles of powerboats including stern drives by Volvo and by Yanmar, straight shaft, outboards, and oar & paddle powered....)

We have a long way to go with this project.

Very noice.

Some thoughts and questions...

Not sure about the transom flag....with open gates. Single to one side, twins or ficticious?

Is the tender going to match? Make it a "mini me" and it will be like those russian dolls.

How do you anchor?

If it were me I'd want more overhang on the top aft, but I live somewhere warm...and sun hurts.

I'd look at yanmar for power.

Full canvas to the stern is almost certainly going to happen. We have rain here and this vessel will be used year round.

Damn, we are worried about the flag now?

Put it on the corner of the transom. Brilliant!

Now the anchor plan is to have it come of the bow well sole and pierce the stem. But that bow well may not be there for long. We'll just have to wait and see. There will be much evolution before the build begins. Think of this as a hazy image that over time will slowly come into sharp focus. More time, more details. Suggestions encouraged.

Sorry, just thought it looked out of place :) Besides I'm from one of those countries that don't wave flags unless we have a real reason to do it..

I definitely think more overhang (for the rain) is needed. Not sure you could take your boots off without getting wet there....

I like to see a boat dressed with the appropriate flags. It's just part of the fun and tradition of yachting, I think I'll buy Kim some white flannel, pleated, pants, a white shirt and a nice cravat. Black, not blue, blazer of course.

Then ya better drop all this diesel nonsense and drop a friggen steam plant in it....

and play dress ups and flag wave to ya heats content!

post-45026-0-98693700-1489121571_thumb.jpg

Here's another one in OZ. I know one of the engineers in this vid from another project. He showed me a couple of pics from this trip which included full period costume dress ups when offshore.....Gorgeous boat this one.

and more here.

Sorry for the hijack.... (no...not really), cause there is a lot of cool ideas here....

Here's along what I was thinking, but with a cabin forward instead of the raised deck...and BPerry's artistic touch on the style, of course.

564603213_91bd0e9051_z.jpg?zz=1

O.k. I hadn't guessed that much HP. I was figuring a 15 knot boat not 25.

It looks very nice. I love long and skinny boats.

Kim what is your experience with stern drives in your area? I knew a Vancouver insurance broker who said it was the source of many of their claims when a log would take one off.

I would move the skeg aft to actually protect the prop at least. Not as worried about the rudder. Especially for a trip to Alaska. Lots of logs to hit at speed.

Bob I know it's not your first rodeo but watch the sightlines from the helm. It looks like you won't see the water 50 yards ahead of you easily with that turtle back house.

Love the engine access.

Pierced stem anchors = default to Bruce because ones with pointy tips don't wrap around a stem as well. Bruce anchors are a bit old school these days. I've personally seen 2 boats drag when they hooked a rock just the right size to jam in the flukes. Bitch to get the rock out too.

Suggest some sort of cover (taut fabric at least) so you don't fill the FWD cockpit with a wave if it's rough.

Maybe raise the radar on a little plinth so it sees over the bow and stern a bit better.

Have a small wet locker just inside door for a couple of wet coats. Maybe already there? Hard to read the drawing text.

Bigger hatch over galley stove. Tiny 12" ones are not idea for venting on a hot day. Smaller one over head O.k.

Seriously think how you will get tender out of water if you go bigger than 11'. A roller on the stern will not cut it. I worked on RCMP patrol catamarans that used a boat trailer on tracks that slid into the water about 10'. Worked very well and we could launch and deploy a 18' RIB easily, at sea, at speed.

I'd avoid Steyr for lack of local support (maybe they have some in WA?).

I think a VP prop is not required unless you plan to put many thousands of hours on the boat. The extra cost is high for the fuel saved.

I do not think a thruster is required. Very low windage boat. Just dock it like a sailboat.

Port side deck steps clash with cabin door I think.

You can do a sliding cockpit door that has a deck mounted track that curves outward so door is flush when closed and is inside bulwarks when open. But very fiddly to get right. I assume doors are for ease of getting onto a dock? If so, and they stay hinged they should hinge in so they don't hit the side of a high dock, a cleat, or our infamous Canadian 4x4 bull rails!

Very interested to see how this progresses!

I have about 1250 hours of stern drive powerboating, both Volvo and Yanmar/Merc-marine.

I have about 5000+/- hours of powerboating.

I used to do a daily powerboat commute year round.

It's about time you two, any more hints and the old saying about pissing or get off the pot would come into play.

Think about a thruster, that bow is a long trek from the steering station and the side decks around the house look narrow. Even with your years of experience things can go sideways, and there is no accounting for what the other guy will do in a tight marina. A auxiliary steering station on the aft end of the cabin would also help, and woud be good if you ever planned to fish or crab.

It's about time you two, any more hints and the old saying about pissing or get off the pot would come into play.

Think about a thruster, that bow is a long trek from the steering station and the side decks around the house look narrow. Even with your years of experience things can go sideways, and there is no accounting for what the other guy will do in a tight marina. A auxiliary steering station on the aft end of the cabin would also help, and woud be good if you ever planned to fish or crab.

We have been at this project for a while now, I just wasn't ready to share yet.

I only did today because long, narrow, light powerboats started to get mentioned in that other thread. And I knew Bob wanted to start mining ideas from this crowd (this crowd often has good ideas.)

It looks like it's going to need a bow and maybe stern thruster for 2 people to dock easily.

A bow thruster is going to be difficult with that forefoot and external ones are exposed to danger. Does Lewmar still make those retractable ones?

Real men (sailors) don't need no fuck'in thrusters!

And...love the boat, have always been a big fan of the Garden long/skinny powerboats and really look forward to seeing what develops with a modern take on classic performance realities. Water line, water line, water line!

How do you access the stern lines with the dinghy in?

And if you think that you can dock it like a sailboat, good luck with that keel in 15 knts wind in Roche harbor.

Thrusters are pretty standard these days

I like to see a boat dressed with the appropriate flags. It's just part of the fun and tradition of yachting, I think I'll buy Kim some white flannel, pleated, pants, a white shirt and a nice cravat. Black, not blue, blazer of course.

We could provide appropriate blazers for both of you.

Re: the doors, I have this wonderful image of Kim's skipper (and you will need one now Kim, this is absolutely a gentleman's yacht) wearing his hat, tripping onto the dock and nipping back to open the door for Mr & Mrs B, using that gait that chauffeurs and secret service agents have to perfect, a sort of quickstep which acknowledges their regret for having wasted a second of their boss's time by not being there before the vehicle stopped.

Seriously, very nice and good luck with it.

I wonder if the doors will be wide enough to get a wheelchair through?

No outdoor steering position?

I guess everyone is ignoring the fact that this boat is for Nick Carraway, ol' sport.

For the log problem.

What if the skeg went all the way back to the prop, with a mini chastity strut to the bottom of the rudder?

If she went over a horizontal log, the strut and chine should keep it away from the prop.

Maybe the doors need to open in, hinged on the stern side so they work when the tender is in. That way they won't hit things like docks or piers when open. That is if the minivan style won't work. Minivan style involves a track- it could be on the deck or part of the deck/hull detail. My brother has carried a dinghy in the cockpit of his powerboat- if they are as big proportionally as the one you have drawn they really impact/preclude use of the cockpit.

Mine would have more of the Rhodes look to the main windows, or somewhere between Huckins and today. Neat boat.

My idea, as I aid earlier , is for the doors to open mini van style but Tuck just gave e the idea of having them slide back on the inside of the topsides. Something to think about.

Think of it like this:

We could very possibly build more than one of these. Bow thruster could be an option on future models as could various other modifications as suggested here. The boat would be available semi custom so you can have yours detailed as you like it.

If you envision cruising, why not split power into twin Lehman 135 for redundancy and maneuver capability.

Assume dinghy has a hydraulic loading transom ramp/ dive platform and allows RO-RO at "Gator" UTV or Golf Cart scale.

Needs a winch/windlass at forward end of aft cockpit to haul up dinghy, belay a tow.

Maybe the doors can slide into the "cockpit sides", pocket door style?

If you envision cruising, why not split power into twin Lehman 135 for redundancy and maneuver capability.

Assume dinghy has a hydraulic loading transom ramp/ dive platform and allows RO-RO at "Gator" UTV or Golf Cart scale.

Needs a winch/windlass at forward end of aft cockpit to haul up dinghy, belay a tow.

You could go old school and power it with a handful of Liberty Aircraft engines. Or their modern equivalent. http://www.turbinefun.com/

Two stern one bow. http://www.kraeutler.at/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/E_SDK-ED.pdf

Run off a quiet genset

The length/beam are similar to a 1/2 scale of a coastal tug. (CF Campbell comes to mind)

If mission includes running around Puget as a launch, including some utility amidst the glitz might broaden appeal.

Way ahead of you on tender stowage Lioness. That's what we have i mind, simple and effective.

Doors will have to appear flush on the outside. I need to find out if that mini van slider hardware is available as a stock unit. Can we get the hardware team on that please?

I agree, there are some similar, almost, and very nice looking boats out there. I have spent my life tracking down good looking boats. But for this design I am not interested in replicating or borrowing the look of another boat. If Kim wanted a boat that looked like such and such a boat, I'd say fine and do it. But he didn't. This design will look distinctive and different, my way. I want to max out the WTF factor.

I studied the Irens boat when we started. Interesting boat with more than twice the displ we have and quite an elaborate interior. Very different boat and not what we are after.

I do like Olaf's chastity strut idea. In fact, with some geometry magic there is a chance we could use the strut tooling from the carbon cutter. Drop a short chord, deep span skeg down and connect to ruder stock with the C. Strut. That might be worth a sketch. Thanks Olaf.

If some want one with a fly bridge I have already drawn it. The FB is cut into the aft, starboard side of the PH. It is only big enough for one person. If you wanted a more traditional and bigger FB we might have to arm wrestle. But it could be done.

On mine the round port would be a fake on the starboard side. The head is tucked under the sole of the FB. You stand up, turn your jaunty cap backwards and drive the boat like you would drive a chariot. How cool is that?

KB%20FB_zpswqiwqlfv.jpg

Mission: cruise Salish Sea in style,maybe all the way up the inland passage to Alaska. (Maybe tender R2AK for my pal Jake.)

Engine: modern diesel 200-300hp. (Steyr comes to mind. Open to suggestions.)

Tender: maybe PT Spear, maybe PT Skiff. (Maybe tow my Hadlock 23 behind.)

Simple and light, long and narrow. Lots of sound proofing for comfortable cruising.

The FRANCIS LEE of powerboats.

I figured that keeping the dink aboard was to avoid towing anything.

I like the idea of the Steyr with the Hundestad VP prop. I have operated only one boat with a VP prop and I really liked it.

I am not at all after this type of look:

jeff%20picnic_zps6su1wc4g.jpg

Or this:

Vicki_zpswdvh3mwo.jpg

While my wife and I enjoy looking at antiques, we are not so keen on antique replicas.

Very nice to see Bob and Kim working together again.

Thank you Fred, you saved me from saying it.

Re: the doors, I have this wonderful image of Kim's skipper (and you will need one now Kim, this is absolutely a gentleman's yacht) wearing his hat, tripping onto the dock and nipping back to open the door for Mr & Mrs B, using that gait that chauffeurs and secret service agents have to perfect, a sort of quickstep which acknowledges their regret for having wasted a second of their boss's time by not being there before the vehicle stopped.

Seriously, very nice and good luck with it.

I wonder if the doors will be wide enough to get a wheelchair through?

No outdoor steering position?

Kim don't do no crew...........if Kim has boat it is so Kim gets to play with it.

Outback steering under consideration.

Shades of Molly Ban. Irens, 63' x14', 16 tons, 2008.http://www.berthon.co.uk/yacht-for-sale/nigel-irens-63-motor-yacht-molly-ban.pdf

Tender in the cockpit too. large_1083369.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EltG5I-xMk4

That was the vessel that got me thinking about this project. I plan to visit her this summer for more ideas when I visit my brother in London.

I bet Rasper is chomping at the bit to have a go at this one. He saw it in my office about a month ago and he started salivating. Could be fun.

For the record: Please respect that these images are my intellectual property.

-Door does not interfere with dock.

-Door does not interfere with dinghy/cockpit

-Door might interfere with overhead canvas/bimini.

-Door could be "beveled" such that water/wave pressure will tend to make door seal tighter.

-Single (robust) hinge is less complicated than a sliding mechanism.

Profile view:

DeZyqzV.jpg

The Francis Lee is going to be mighty, mighty jealous....!

Kim, how ever are you going to decide which boat to take on a cruise? (the afternoon outing is easy---wind = Francis, flat calm = Daisy) But I'd really HATE to have to choose all the time...!

Right now I am pretty sure the standard tender will be one of Russell's PT Spears. I want to have a sail boat with me for fun at anchor. If I think I need a larger tender for explorations my Hadlock 23 can be towed behind. In the protected waters of the Salish Sea towing a large tender is fairly common. But I would not expect to tow the Hadlock very often as the PT Spear rows very well as a standard tender.

Remember, there will be a full canvas or carbon cover over the cockpit, so it would even be possible to hang an inflatable under the cover. See the Molly Ban details for pictures of that arrangement.

I bet Rasper is chomping at the bit to have a go at this one. He saw it in my office about a month ago and he started salivating. Could be fun.

For the record: Please respect that these images are my intellectual property.

Gentlemen say "champing" at the bit, Bob. While wearing a black blazer, of course.

The Francis Lee is going to be mighty, mighty jealous....!

Kim, how ever are you going to decide which boat to take on a cruise? (the afternoon outing is easy---wind = Francis, flat calm = Daisy) But I'd really HATE to have to choose all the time...!

FRANCIS LEE = Daysailer

SCOTTISH DIRK = PNW Cruiser

FInal name still under consideration.

Here's a shot at how the FB works.

PB%20FB%203_zps2l3g3z64.jpg

Panope:

I can't quite orient myself to understand your sketch. I'm sure, knowing you, that it's a good idea. I'd like to understand it better.

I had in mind a gaining fit on the door to help make it watertight.

Real men use twin screws and a joystick docking system. This one looks nice: MJM 40z

Displacement 1/2 Load: 18,910 lbs

Standard Power: Twin 370hp IPS 500

Top Speed: 38 knots

40z-night.jpg

40z_2.jpg

Bob, The image is a side view of the hull. Horizontal line is the sheer. Door hinges up and over like this:

car-door-types-whats-that-a-butterfly-an

Panope:

I love it. It is so exactly what I want for this boat. I trust you can handle the hardware fabrication? I wonder if we could counter weight it?

Fuck boating, just give me the car!

I would have Betts do the hardware in Titanium and the door in carbon (of course). It will be light as a feather so not much need for counter weight.

Water tightness would be easy to achieve, as a single latch/dog will tend to force the entire perimeter into the seal. Whereas a standard door requires multiple dogs.

Steve

Just trying to help Kim, by the way I've been docking sailboats and ski boats since 62' and motoryachts of all types since 82' experience says why make it harder than it needs to be.

Bob, The image is a side view of the hull. Horizontal line is the sheer. Door hinges up and over like this:

car-door-types-whats-that-a-butterfly-an

Being as I am a huge fan of the 1955 300SL Gull Wing I had pondered that kind of solution. Forward much better than inward. We will have to give it a look, kind of the Lamborghini solution.

Hmmmm, gullwing doors hinged overhead? The hardware wouldn't be very visible on the roof. Panope's idea looks very simple and practical also.

Just trying to help Kim, by the way I've been docking sailboats and ski boats since 62' and motoryachts of all types since 82' experience says why make it harder than it needs to be.
A bow thruster has been discussed. And given that this vessel is also for my two experienced boating sons to use, they get to add lots of input. They have suggested the bow thruster.

I built FRANCIS LEE with them in mind and this project is the same.

Just a note, we are in the very beginning stages of this project, don't expect a build to start any time soon. Lots of development still to go.

Panope:

I love it. It is so exactly what I want for this boat. I trust you can handle the hardware fabrication? I wonder if we could counter weight it?

Fuck boating, just give me the car!

That's not a car. This is a car (La Ferrari).

395a53e40a929c895431fce9e444ee7c.jpg

Shades of Molly Ban. Irens, 63' x14', 16 tons, 2008.http://www.berthon.co.uk/yacht-for-sale/nigel-irens-63-motor-yacht-molly-ban.pdf

Tender in the cockpit too. large_1083369.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EltG5I-xMk4

That was the vessel that got me thinking about this project. I plan to visit her this summer for more ideas when I visit my brother in London.
Gorgeous boat. Very close to what I'd pictured. I just imagined the wheel a bit further forward, with a larger enclosed lounge space aft, for inclement weather but still sightseeing. Lounge/cockpit would also be an 'indoor/outdoor' area for entertaining small groups. Forward cabin for two, with head there, so guests can do their business somewhat apart from group. Galley at forward end of lounge, so aft end has unobstructed view and easy 'flow' from lounge to cockpit.

Perhaps these guys can help with the door hardware: http://www.scissor-doors.com/

From their Web Site:

"Scissor Doors Inc. is the leading global manufacturer of all types of hinge door systems for vehicles. The company’s journey started over a decade ago as a designer and manufacturer of custom hinge applications for a wide variety of industrial applications. Scissor Doors is known for its tradition of designing, building, and testing of state of the art hinge systems that are also custom made upon special request. We operate with a long term vision of offering the finest range of custom hinge technologies available in today’s market. At present, we are we are the most renowned manufacturer in the worldwide market for bolts on specialty suicide doors, lambo doors, and different hinge applications, including custom one off/military grade."

I want those side doors to open like mini van doors do. But I don't want hardware on the topsides. It will be a challenge.

Could perhaps work like pocket doors and slip under the deck, fore or aft? Or roll-open barn doors that you could latch firmly in place open or shut? I like the cushy bow cockpit. Sorry that there's no transom to sport a dashing name & hailing port. How are you going to deal with pounding in any sea?