Editor

where is webb chiles?

He was close enough to smell the suntan lotion, lime and car exhaust then tacked away...close enough to get a cell signal, read this thread, laugh, then autotacked, with all his Raymarines working.

gannet - YBlog - YB Tracking

If he were going to Hilo, I think he would have departed the coast much sooner.   He also said he provisioned for 2 months, and he's at 5 weeks today.  This would be a bit thin to set off for Hilo now. 

Stupid question, but...

How again does he afford to do all of this for the last, what, 30 years?

~him

We did the same thing as Webb in reverse. Sailed from Mag Bay (north on the Baja), got close enough to Cabo to get a mobile signal and pick up email, and then sailed right past and headed to Puerto Vallarta.

1 hour ago, him&her said:

Stupid question, but...

How again does he afford to do all of this for the last, what, 30 years?

~him

He  actually started his first circumnavigation in 1974.  So more like 45 years!   

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

We did the same thing as Webb in reverse. Sailed from Mag Bay (north on the Baja), got close enough to Cabo to get a mobile signal and pick up email, and then sailed right past and headed to Puerto Vallarta.

Aaaaa Puerto Vallarta - now that's somewhere where I could certainly retire. 

Lovely place full of lovely people together with some lovely drinks in lovely weather. 

~him

Aaaaa Puerto Vallarta - now that's somewhere where I could certainly retire. 

Lovely place full of lovely people together with some lovely drinks in lovely weather. 

~him

You shoulda been there 40 years ago. ;)

• Like 1

If he’s still on starboard, Webb’s getting a nice lift.  

Last fix puts him roughly 450 nm to SD as the crow flies, fwiw. Any guesses what his average VMG has been over the past 10 days? If we use 2kts + a fudge factor,  is it reasonable to see  him succeeding in about 2 weeks + ?

2 hours ago, Cwinsor said:

Last fix puts him roughly 450 nm to SD as the crow flies, fwiw. Any guesses what his average VMG has been over the past 10 days? If we use 2kts + a fudge factor,  is it reasonable to see  him succeeding in about 2 weeks + ?

I’ll throw out a guess: Apr 28th.

Historically, he doesn’t stop short of his destination. Mid range forecast has another 48 hours of a pleasant 10-15 knots with little change in wind direction. Lighter winds Wed and Thurs with more wind near shore before the prevailing N winds fill back in to 10-15 by next Friday. 

Unless he has broken something serious, I expect he will continue with the classic Baja Bash North where there is no advantage to staying far offshore.  He is a patient man and takes what the sea gives him. 

• Like 1

This, he’s not likely to stop unless he needs to.  He and Gannet seem to be sailing well based on course and speed. 

Tacked onto starboard, heading offshore again.  Fugly tacking angle, maybe current, a header, or bearing off a bit for comfort?  Windy shows ~16 knots in the area, would be almost 20 apparent. Fun for an afternoon race around the buoys on a Moore, but a bit wet and tiring for 500 miles of Baja. 

I would head offshore for 3 days till I had I nice reach in to complete my 6th circle. If I was Webb......and still had booze and tunes. Actual me would have been reduced to an incoherent mess 3 weeks ago - booze def gone. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, vikram said:

Actual me would have been reduced to an incoherent mess 3 weeks ago - booze def gone. 

Good way to put it.  Me too. 

Models show wind better inshore and backing from NNW to NW or even WNW late morning until after sunset and then veering back to NNW in the evening for the next few days. Might be a local sea breeze effect. May see a trend toward port tack as the wind backs during the day and then stbd back out to sea as the wind veers at night. That would suite my desire to not be inshore and headed toward the beach singlehanded late at night.  

Next position report is about 4 hours and it’s just getting dark now with Moonrise a couple of hours away.  With San Benito and Cedros ahead, it will be interesting to see how he plays it.  

Yes he might try to work the shifts that way.  Tacking a Moore is easy enough, but he has to “tack” berths as well, from his writings that sounds like a PITA. 

Uh oh looks like he's heading the wrong way for the moment...

Man this is a tough slog for him!

36 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Uh oh looks like he's heading the wrong way for the moment...

Man this is a tough slog for him!

Keep in mind, his YellowBrick reports every 6 hours so tight now, you are looking at a report from 5 hours ago and his speed was down to 2 knots.  He does look to be on the wrong side of a big shift as the breeze backed over the last 18 hours or so. As we know, when the wind is less than 10 knots, it’s often more about the “microclimate” where the boat is than the overall gradient winds predicts by the models.  Not much reason the be headed WSW though. 

He has done this a lot more than likely any 4 of us combined. So I’d be slow to judge. 

Not judging, admiring.  Sailing up and down the California coast,  I know sometimes you gotta tack out and it can just suck.  Combination of wind direction, wind waves, prevailing swell and current just make starboard tack miserable.  Not much to do about it but get 'er done. 

Looks like Webb's got a favorable local wind condition, latest 6 hours shows nice progress to the NNW.  He'd be pointing at about degrees true based on Windy info. 

about 160 nm to SD as of 1800UTC today.  Stbd looks most favoured on balance through the weekend and into mid next week according to Windy. Barring a catastrophic failure the old sea dog is going to make it around again.

2 hours ago, Cwinsor said:

about 160 nm to SD as of 1800UTC today.  Stbd looks most favoured on balance through the weekend and into mid next week according to Windy. Barring a catastrophic failure the old sea dog is going to make it around again.

Yup, might even make it before the end of the month!

20 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Yup, might even make it before the end of the month!

Tuesday 5:00 pm.

1 minute ago, flyingdog said:

Tuesday 5:00 pm.

Just so long as he gets in before customs closes....

Models have the wind holding  N and NW before backing to the west late today and going light overnight and then variable at less than 5 before settling into 10-12 knots from the west after noon. 

If it holds enough West during the day today, he might carry this port tack all of the way in to San Diego.  Some change of some tacks overnight as the L&V adds some random very light wind.

He seems to have found a nice lift the last few legs. Wind was perhaps a bit more W than Windy was showing. 

On 4/20/2019 at 3:38 PM, jewingiv said:

I’ll throw out a guess: Apr 28th.

Nice call.  

• Like 2

Sailing past the Coronados now. Might get in tonight depending how the breeze holds into the evening before going light and variable overnight. 

Edit, looks like a front passing thru will keep winds southerly overnight into tomorrow am.  

Extrapolating from the last tracker position at 00:00 utc he should be very close by now.

Latest position just now puts him just off Point Loma

Any locals awake to take his lines?

I live in OC, I’d be thrilled to drive down and greet him at the Customs dock.  Just my luck I’m traveling when he arrives. In Dayton OH right now. 

helluva achievement. If he is not yet back on terra firma it will be shortly. And an early  daytime landfall no less.

I'm thinking that last dog leg was a deliberate move to ensure arrival by daylight

Lotta people thought it couldn't be done...but he knew it could be. A Moore 24 circumnavigation solo with an iPhone to nav with....I mean honestly. Legend. Stoked for the passage logs! 

• Like 4

For private vessels, Customs & BP check in is at the Police Dock at the SW end of Shelter Island.  

Another successful circumnavigation!  BZ  

Wow! What an adventure!

Aaand docked at Shelter Island. 

Congratulations on completing a solo circumnavigation as a septuagenarian!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uli Kunkel said:

Has anyone gone down there and given the poor SOB a bottle of Scotch yet? The man has to be parched....

I just had one delivered from a local store. Laphroaig 10, of course.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Illegal Smile said:

Well done IS!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jewingiv said:

Aaand docked at Shelter Island. 

Congratulations on completing a totally minimalist solo circumnavigation as a septuagenarian!

FIFY

2 hours ago, Illegal Smile said:

That's almost as cool as sailing around the world in a Moore 24, alone..... almost. 

Amazing and well done!!! I saw him leave San Diego only wish I could have been there today.  

3 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

FIFY

Arguably more an informative clarification than a correction, but yes, indeed.

I enlarged the photo just  to be sure , but needn't have. The serenity and achievement radiating from his face is a beacon to all.  

Wow, I guess there may be a good use for cel phones after all. 

Well done, Mr. Chiles!

Welcome back, Webb. Well done. 

I've been following his exploits since Chidiock Tichborne and I've gotta say he is one crazy MoFo.

I mean that in the best possible way but he is fuckin' nutso. A consummate seaman but nuts. Two trips around the world in day boats?

But..... you can't argue with success.

The Brits would call him a glorious eccentric.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've been following his exploits since Chidiock Tichborne and I've gotta say he is one crazy MoFo.

I mean that in the best possible way but he is fuckin' nutso. A consummate seaman but nuts. Two trips around the world in day boats?

But..... you can't argue with success.

The Brits would call him a glorious eccentric.

I think our nanny state life leads us to severely underestimate human resilience, 

Nevertheless, Mr Chiles is definitely an outlier.

Thanks Webb for sharing this with us....the log of the last leg was a difficult read for those of us wanting so much for you to find the Joy you so deserved. Perhaps there'll be time for reflection and you'll find a place for this most recent adventure (certainly not your last!). Congratulations, and again - Thanks for your generosity of spirit!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, olaf hart said:

I think our nanny state life leads us to severely underestimate human resilience, 

Nevertheless, Mr Chiles is definitely an outlier.

You've got that right.

I recently visited the historic Indian River Life Station (pre-US Coast Guard). I learned that in the 1800's the people manning this station lived 14 miles from the nearest town, with no access roads. They walked 28 miles, round-trip, in the winter to get to town when they needed supplies. These people hurled themselves into the surf on rowed surfboats to rescue the crews of foundered ships for $10/week pay.

In the tour group I heard a lot of muttering about "fuck that, I wouldn't risk my life for so little pay."  In the early 1900's, the surfmen were such public heroes that Milton-Bradley made a board game about them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

You've got that right.

I recently visited the historic Indian River Life Station (pre-US Coast Guard). I learned that in the 1800's the people manning this station lived 14 miles from the nearest town, with no access roads. They walked 28 miles, round-trip, uphill both ways in the winter to get to town when they needed supplies. These people hurled themselves into the surf on rowed surfboats to rescue the crews of foundered ships for $10/week pay.

In the tour group I heard a lot of muttering about "fuck that, I wouldn't risk my life for so little pay."  In the early 1900's, the surfmen were such public heroes that Milton-Bradley made a board game about them.

fixed it for you  :P

The passage log certainly brings to life the frustration I felt watching the slow progress via the YB tracker.  Webb talked about the symmetry of completing this circumnavigation in San Diego, having started out there in 1974.  His first time around certainly wasn't easy either, so maybe there's a further bit of symmetry.  I hope in retrospect he feels some joy in having completed it as he set out to do.  

Yes, the stretch between the Panama Canal and mid-Mexico can be very frustratingly light wind area, interrupted by a lot of wind through the Tehuantepec and Papagayo gaps. Done it twice, and both times it was a LOT of motorboating.

I have massive respect for the outliers in society. They show us what is possible. Webb is a very interesting sailor and I've enjoyed his writings.

Saddest part was his losing his last two drinks of Laphy to the bilge.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, seabell said:

Saddest part was his losing his last two drinks of Laphy to the bilge.

Well, that's now all Laphy thru the bilge pump.  He's stocked up again beginning with a gift from someone in his welcoming committee.

Through the sponge to be accurate, but yes. Though at the time it must have been achingly sad. 

I appreciate that Smile organised a bottle for Mr. Chiles. Had thought of trying to do same, but difficult from here. Amazon would have been a long shot, what with delivery addresses and all. Thanks for stepping up, Illegal Smile. Bet the cap didn't remain sealed for long.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 2:18 PM, Ajax said:

You've got that right.

I recently visited the historic Indian River Life Station (pre-US Coast Guard). I learned that in the 1800's the people manning this station lived 14 miles from the nearest town, with no access roads. They walked 28 miles, round-trip, in the winter to get to town when they needed supplies. These people hurled themselves into the surf on rowed surfboats to rescue the crews of foundered ships for $10/week pay.

Read Graveyard of the Atlantic, by David Stick.    Lots of true stories of bravery and endurance beginning before the Life Saving Service through the Coast Guard era.   The region is primarily the OBX, although there are some tales about rescues to the North and South of the banks.

It was given to me when I was young and I still pull the book down and re-read it every couple of years!

- Stumbling

"The ocean does not give senior discounts and if it did I would refuse to accept one.  Compromised the experience would not be worthwhile. The cure is time.  I know I heal more slowly than the young, but I am confident I will.  During that process thanks to the generosity of others I have in the evening ample liquid to ease the pain."

self-portrait in the present sea journal

A rough final passage but a satisfactory completion and a proper closing of the circle for “this stage of his life.”  

Well done, Captain. 

This has got to be a tough time for Webb. Kinda like focusing on a career your entire life, then walking home after your retirement luncheon.

Now, what am I gonna do with my time?

On 5/6/2019 at 6:32 AM, Willin' said:

This has got to be a tough time for Webb. Kinda like focusing on a career your entire life, then walking home after your retirement luncheon.

Now, what am I gonna do with my time?

He has no answer in the video he just posted either. Perhaps an EC or R2AK as the oldest team...

There is a 2nd video as well.

20 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

He has no answer in the video he just posted either. Perhaps an EC or R2AK as the oldest team...

There is a 2nd video as well.

A man (especially in part 2) who was had been unafraid to dream large and live large, and be openly reflective on his life.  A lesson for all of us.

• Like 2

My guess is that he will un-retire.

Wonder how long before he sets out on his next round the world voyage?

• Like 1

Far from clear to me what Webb plans to do about GANNET and their condo. He loves the former and could love the latter if it got sorted out, but seems he was at least thinking about combining the two for some local gunkhole sailing. Trucking GANNET 3000 miles to SC might cost as much as the 60 miles across Panama.

Do you think I could mount a small campaign to do the R2AK, buy him a 6 pack, and have him unretire as my skipper and trimmer and helmsman and well everything else and he would accept?

Should be rad. 

Do you think I could mount a small campaign to do the R2AK, buy him a 6 pack, and have him unretire as my skipper and trimmer and helmsman and well everything else and he would accept?

Should be rad. 

He has said he would likely still make passages in the future . . . just that he won't attempt another circumnavigation. Based on that you might entice him with an offer of Laphroaog and airfare.

He just posted 5 videos from the Balboa to San Diego passage.

^^^  Videos now all the way to San Diego.

Last videos just up

Final words of the last clip: 'That's it. Gannet is a great boat.'

And who could disagree with that!

• Like 1

If you read this Webb, I am humbled. I sailed a Moore 24 to Hawaii in the Single Handed Transpac in 1980. People said that the boat wasn't worthy to sail past the islands off of California. At your age (only a number) you give us all inspiration to enjoy our sailing adventures until we can no longer walk down to the boat. That was a hell of an adventure and inspired a lot of us in so many different ways. GOOD ON YOU!!!!!

• Like 5