• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
USA 236

VC17 Alternative

Anyone have first hand experience using the West Marine FW-21 branded substitute to VC-17? Is it made by interlux or another vendor? Aside from the sale price difference of 20 dollars, is there any benefit? I hate to be save a dollar now, only to spend two later on. Thanks!

I can't tell you anything except that the West Marine product is mate by Pettit.

I can't tell you anything except that the West Marine product is mate by Pettit.

If I recall correctly, Petit had a product called SR-21? that was similar to VC-17. It's seems to be replaced for 2017 by their black widow performance bottom paint. I would imagine you don't have any experience with any of these products since these are freshwater paints.

I would imagine you don't have any experience with any of these products since these are freshwater paints.

You would be correct, sir!

I ventured over to the west marine site and there are dozen or so reviews. All positive and some more detailed than others. The FW-21 appears to have slightly more copper content VC-17, but application, drying times and resulting finish are described as similar. It does not contain any biocide. If it producers the same smooth finish and low build up I'm inclined to try. I clean the bottom weekly, so I should know really quickly if it's anti-fouling properties fall short.

Anyone have any experience with the new Pettit Black Widow? Thinking about giving it a shot

I have been using the West product for 3 or 4 years. I see no difference between it and VC as far as application, performance, etc. We take care of the bottom of the boat (J/30) and clean multiple times during the season. I have every intention of doing it again this season.

Anyone have any experience with the new Pettit Black Widow? Thinking about giving it a shot

A friend is putting it on right now, looks like it will be (or at least can be) slick as snot. You apparently can buff and polish it super shiny.

If I recall correctly, Petit had a product called SR-21? that was similar to VC-17. It's seems to be replaced for 2017 by their black widow performance bottom paint. I would imagine you don't have any experience with any of these products since these are freshwater paints.

The Black Widow paint looks interesting. The old Baltoplate formula included Molybdenum, B W has that plus some other slicking stuff and they pimp it as "hard", so I'm thinking vinyl? Anyway, love to hear some feedback if anyone out there is using it.

We loved the Petit SR-21 on our Martin 241. We applied it annually over VC Offshore that was burnished to a polish. Lasted all season with weekly wipe downs with a sponge. We did thin the paint with SailKote after mixing the copper by topping off the can and shaking. When applying it went on very smooth and thin and left a very nice teflon finish.