Knut Grotzki

The Baltic MidsummerSail Race 2017

Baltic Sea - qualified for the Ocean Racing Forum? Have a look here:

"The longest Baltic regatta in the world https://www.midsummersail.com

image.jpg

The AGORA direct MidsummerSail is a sailing regatta from the most southern point to the most northern point of the Baltic Sea.

The Baltic Sea is one of the most beautiful sailing areas in the world. There are hardly any tides and during the summer there is almost constant daylight. The Baltic offers all kinds of conditions, from very light to very strong winds, and from all possible directions.

A glance at a map will make you want to sail the whole way across. The North-South stretch of almost 900 nautical miles provides the perfect balance between a holiday trip and a sea-going race."

"The route is about 877 nautical miles (1623 km) long.

important: The maximum draught possible is 3 meters!"

"THE RULES

1. Wind is the only permitted driving force.

2. You are free to choose the route and any stopovers.

3. Every skipper must adhere to the International Collision Regulations (IRPCS).

4. Each skipper is responsible for the safety of his/her crew and boat.

5. Every crew must give their contact details & emergency contacts to the organizer.

6. Each participant must sign a disclaimer, that they take part at their own risk.

7. Every boat must have appropriate third-party insurance.

8. Every crew must attend the briefing the evening before the race.

9. For the 2017 edition of the race, there will be no entry fee.

10. For the 2017 edition of the race, there will be no handicap system like ORC or yardstick. (The specifics of each boat are described, so sailors are able to draw their own evaluation of the respective results.)"

Online tracking, and although only 15 boats with a mix from One-Ton-Cuppers to Seascape 18 https://www.midsummersail.com/2017-1/ and the free choice of course along 900 miles will give something to chew on before.

"Beat the Midsummer Record of 10 days / 9 hours / 32 min / 20 sec"

If I only had some more weeks off-work... And there surely will be a superb party at the end - trust me the Scandinavians know how to .. party.
Thank you Robert Nowatzki for this great idea. Fair winds and a safe race!

This sounds like a good one. I won't be in the area, but if I were......

Ok, this a new one to me, very nice. Not this year but will place it on list.

I followed it, nice concept, who knows one day....

On 3/12/2017 at 4:03 AM, Knut Grotzki said:

The longest Baltic regatta in the world 

Looks like a lot of fun but what if someone wants to run a longer Baltic regatta somewhere else in the world?

On 04/09/2017 at 7:11 AM, LB 15 said:

Looks like a lot of fun but what if someone wants to run a longer Baltic regatta somewhere else in the world?

Have you got a Baltic longer than our in Australia? 

Easily, anywhere along the east or west coast !!

But I would rather come and do your Baltic.

13 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Have you got a Baltic longer than our in Australia? 

France is now on the Baltic? They will never get the smell out of the fish.

On 3/11/2017 at 7:03 PM, Knut Grotzki said:

Baltic Sea - qualified for the Ocean Racing Forum? Have a look here:

"The longest Baltic regatta in the world https://www.midsummersail.com

image.jpg

The AGORA direct MidsummerSail is a sailing regatta from the most southern point to the most northern point of the Baltic Sea.

The Baltic Sea is one of the most beautiful sailing areas in the world. There are hardly any tides and during the summer there is almost constant daylight. The Baltic offers all kinds of conditions, from very light to very strong winds, and from all possible directions.

A glance at a map will make you want to sail the whole way across. The North-South stretch of almost 900 nautical miles provides the perfect balance between a holiday trip and a sea-going race."

"The route is about 877 nautical miles (1623 km) long.

important: The maximum draught possible is 3 meters!"

"THE RULES

1. Wind is the only permitted driving force.

2. You are free to choose the route and any stopovers.

3. Every skipper must adhere to the International Collision Regulations (IRPCS).

4. Each skipper is responsible for the safety of his/her crew and boat.

5. Every crew must give their contact details & emergency contacts to the organizer.

6. Each participant must sign a disclaimer, that they take part at their own risk.

7. Every boat must have appropriate third-party insurance.

8. Every crew must attend the briefing the evening before the race.

9. For the 2017 edition of the race, there will be no entry fee.

10. For the 2017 edition of the race, there will be no handicap system like ORC or yardstick. (The specifics of each boat are described, so sailors are able to draw their own evaluation of the respective results.)"

Online tracking, and although only 15 boats with a mix from One-Ton-Cuppers to Seascape 18 https://www.midsummersail.com/2017-1/ and the free choice of course along 900 miles will give something to chew on before.

"Beat the Midsummer Record of 10 days / 9 hours / 32 min / 20 sec"

If I only had some more weeks off-work... And there surely will be a superb party at the end - trust me the Scandinavians know how to .. party.

Thank you Robert Nowatzki for this great idea. Fair winds and a safe race!

They need a prize for the Slowest passage .

you could easily spend a week in Mariehamn drinking beer

Sailors love beer

Dehler , nice. Can not believe there are not more participants. Maybe get some advertisement during Silverrudder

The MidsummerSail 2018 is history - and what kind!

There were 11 registrations, 4 have started, but only one has actually arrived at the finish line.

I had not expected such a quota.

It is said that the hardest thing about a regatta is to get to the starting line at all. There is definitely a lot of experience in this sentence.

And of course I knew about the weather forecasts. Strong winds and rain have forced the sailors to the first stopover just after the start, only to then go into very light winds. As soon as the weather seemed to stabilise, the same fun started again.

This way records are difficult to break.

However, not all sail for the record, or the cup. They start to do something special. Something that just can’t be achieved with ease.

Often, the Baltic Sea as an inland sea is not taken very seriously. Not to compare with the Atlantic, or the Southern Ocean.

However, you should not be fooled. Anyone who has left Stockholm astern is very quickly overwhelmed by the size of the Gulf of Bothnia.

Only very few Baltic Sea sailors have ever experienced this.

Sailing through the Baltic Sea once in its entire north-south stretch is a real challenge.

It is a privilege to stand victorious on the yellow buoy - and it must be earned!

The MidsummerSail is not only the longest, but also the hardest Baltic Sea regatta - Long live 2019!

• Like 1