• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
DryArmour

Miami to Havana Sleigh Ride Thread

I just finished up the race pre-routing for some clients and the Miami to Havana Race is looking epic. Almost all downhill and plenty O' breeze. How many boats on SA are going?

Havana Miami Weather.jpg

Sitting outside in the grove right now, northerlies picking up. Looking damned good but I've gotta sail an A-320 to Havana....

whatcha sailin' O?

Sitting outside in the grove right now, northerlies picking up. Looking damned good but I've gotta sail an A-320 to Havana....

whatcha sailin' O?

Andrews 70- what better way to avoid a blizzard than to go for a sleigh ride-

See ya on the other side- good luck, be safe

nice live video Alan.....a few wipeouts at the start looked like they were going to take out the rest of the fleet

Romping conditions for the start today. Should be a very fast race. Boarding the flight to Havana in a few minutes. Race page here: http://www.havanarace.org/

Tracker here: http://kws.kattack.com/WPlayer/WPosDisplay.aspx?FeedID=1519

Updates on the SORC Sailing Facebook page depending on wifi at Hemingway. Vamanos.

My money is on Raisin Cain.

Fight Team Win!

Sail safe!

The Boys on White Rhino and LongBow were in the lead. Now they are in the back of the fleet but with big SPEEDO #s. What happened?

Fight Team Win!

Sail safe!

The Boys on White Rhino and LongBow were in the lead. Now they are in the back of the fleet but with big SPEEDO #s. What happened?

Tracker shows last report for both is over 3 hours old

Fight Team Win!

Sail safe!

Thank you for that "catch". Can you tell I have been awake for 14 hours? Much appreciated.

Fight Team Win!

Sail safe!

Thank you for that "catch". Can you tell I have been awake for 14 hours? Much appreciated.

Kattack is a great inshore tool but sucks for far coastal work. It always fails on the Key West feeder race. I have no idea how the SORC people don't see this and move on to YB trackers.

Just watched part of Clean's FB live stream.

Dear Lord, considering its 30 boats and about 10 interesting ones you think he would be clued up a bit more on the details of each boat and crew instead of just his buddies.

Sub par performance and hes trying to get a job with the Super Series folks? Never gonna happen.

From Thin Ice just now: Wind at 280. Hard on it. 8 knots.

From Ben Poucher on the big boat: Blew up our only spinnaker. Boom. Fortunately the espresso maker is working well.

Marco got some great shots, I'll post a few now but he is putting up a gallery on http://www.facebook.com/sorcsailing

These are the captions sent out to the mainstream news pubs in Miami with these photos. All photos © Marco Oquendo/SORC Sailing

1) With Race Recordholder Trebuchet (shown here inside Havana Harbor after the inaugural Miami to Havana Race) not here to defend her title, racing crews from several boats llook to take advantage of strong Northerlies to beat her record pace from last year.

2) The big 70’ sled Simon Says (New York) leads the fleet at Fowey Rocks Light as she powers away under her huge blue spinnaker.

3) The Mulhall family’s Testing Life (New Jersey) chases down the much smaller Thin Ice just to seaward of Key Biscayne.

4) The crew of Achilles Keel (Nassau, Bahamas) enjoys the sun and downwind breeze just after the start off Miami.

5) 2016 Overall Race Winner Dragon gets a slow start thanks to a line crowded with the huge 84-foot Metolius

6) Gary Weisberg’s Heatwave (Massachusetts) struggles to control their spinnaker as a big gust of wind hits the fleet at the start.

7) Southern Cross and Peregrine take the comfy road to Cuba aboard their fast but spacious catamarans.

8) “El Comodoro” of the finishing host club CNIH points to his homeland as he addresses hundreds of sailors at Coconut Grove’s Coral Reef Yacht Club.

SORC Havana - Credit Marco Oquendo-SORC - 1.jpg

SORC Havana - Credit Marco Oquendo-SORC - 2.jpg

SORC Havana - Credit Marco Oquendo-SORC - 3.jpg

SORC Havana - Credit Marco Oquendo-SORC - 4.jpg

SORC Havana - Credit Marco Oquendo-SORC - 5.jpg

SORC Havana - Credit Marco Oquendo-SORC - 6.jpg

SORC Havana - Credit Marco Oquendo-SORC - 7.jpg

SORC Havana - Credit Marco Oquendo-SORC - 8.jpg

Blowing high teens and low 20s from the west. close hauled. Looks like the fleet is going thumb line. This will be interesting.

Clean looks like the sheriff in Cool Hand Luke. What else did he get from that truck stop?

Hope everyone arrives in good time and have a great time.

Is it me or is the tracker sucking it big time? I show a couple of hours latency. Anyone?

Michael! Go the Dragon!

I'm betting on Mirage on correction. He and his experienced crew have won lots of distance races on his beater Hobie 33 and with the wind aft of the beam he'll be on plane all the way. As long as he doesn't lose the rig (he's on #3), watch out.

Cheers, Greg

I'm betting on Mirage on correction. He and his experienced crew have won lots of distance races on his beater Hobie 33 and with the wind aft of the beam he'll be on plane all the way. As long as he doesn't lose the rig (he's on #3), watch out.

Cheers, Greg

Greg,

Multiple boats are reporting beating right now. Admittedly, I have limited time on a Hobie 33 but upwind in a breeze never made the sales brochure. I'm liking Dragon as he will give us a knockout race description.

I also like Dragon's positioning given there is something called the Gulf Stream to cross. The guy is nobody's fool.

I'll also take Mirage for the overall win on handicap. He's up there with 40 footers in a boat that rates 93.

Senara is a shoal draft Farr 395, hence the rating.

I'll also take Mirage for the overall win on handicap. He's up there with 40 footers in a boat that rates 93.

Senara is a shoal draft Farr 395, hence the rating.

Ahhh ok. Thanks for clarifying! Should be fun to see how the scoring shakes out today

If it ever shakes out. Boats have been finished all morning and there's nothing up on the regatta site.

If it ever shakes out. Boats have been finished all morning and there's nothing up on the regatta site.

Was Sol out late last night?

Nah, must be the wi-fi connection. Or lack of.

LOL, kind of lost interest after the multihull rating dust-up and then watching the start. And then half the multis dropped out or can't pass a... oh nevermind. Its a rally.

Wasn't a rally to the crew of the Andrews 68 that hit a UFO at 23 knots, shattering the quadrant to pieces, and then steered the rest of the race with emergency tiller.

Or to the Dragon crew that once again crushed their sistership by more than an hour.

Or the crew of Chico that was pushing so hard to the finish that they wiped out in their final gybe just outside the breakers.

But keep hatin' on 'em Wess. Someone's gotta.

Was Sol out late last night?

Nah, must be the wi-fi connection. Or lack of.

Last year we had zero internet, the island experiences 'black outs'

Boats have not been 'finishing all morning' I was on the dock grabbing lines for the first finisher just two hours ago and been shooting and interviewing since.

Pics and interviews will be going up shortly,

Post edited 'cause I have a short fuse when I'm extremely hung over.

Is yachtscoring working? Not from my connection.

Epic fail from where I sit.

Yachtscoring is working fine. No finishing times are in yet, nor will they be for some time.

Wasn't a rally to the crew of the Andrews 68 that hit a UFO at 23 knots, shattering the quadrant to pieces, and then steered the rest of the race with emergency tiller.

Or to the Dragon crew that once again crushed their sistership by more than an hour.

Or the crew of Chico that was pushing so hard to the finish that they wiped out in their final gybe just outside the breakers.

Think you misunderstand. For multis (and maybe most) it seems more a rally than a race to me. Maybe I am wrong but the "intensity" of start video sure gave me (perhaps incorrectly) that impression. Nothing wrong with a rally at least to me. You claiming this is AC or TP52 level racing Clean... cause somebody will maybe want to have what you are smoking/drinking?! :P

Oh and I like Mojitos.

Think you misunderstand. For multis (and maybe most) it seems more a rally than a race to me. Maybe I am wrong but the "intensity" of start video sure gave me (perhaps incorrectly) that impression. Nothing wrong with a rally at least to me. You claiming this is AC or TP52 level racing Clean... cause somebody will maybe want to have what you are smoking/drinking?! :P

Oh and I like Mojitos.

Ah ok, no worries. There are some seriously high level crew on some of the multis, but the other two were taking it easy for sure. That Corsair was reefed down with a frac kite in 12-14 knots an hour after the start.

Peregrine story was pretty epic. Skipper would have been the first Cuban born person to sail back to Cuba since the revolution.

Oh and I like Mojitos.

Ah ok, no worries.

Peregrine story was pretty epic. Skipper would have been the first Cuban born person to sail back to Cuba since the revolution.

What happened to em? RW and everybody OK?

EDIT TO ADD: Oh and saw your edit to your post and so will add to mine... The F31s don't carry a masthead kite. Its a frac rig. Bit surprised they didn't send it at least in daylight in those conditions but again I wasn't there and this is why I used the term rally. Same on the wide band multihull rating comment. Can see both sides. Respect both sides. If I had to guess I would disagree w Ron but that's an uniformed opinion and there ain't no way IMHO to rate boats that different. So just go and have fun... rally. Cheers. Wess

Is yachtscoring working? Not from my connection.

Epic fail from where I sit.

Yachtscoring is working fine. No finishing times are in yet, nor will they be for some time.

Isn't that that the epitome of yachtscoring not working? Isn't the whole point to have real time results? Luiz? Care to wade in.

Oh and I like Mojitos.

Ah ok, no worries.

Not sure yet. I've got a call in to them.

Isn't that that the epitome of yachtscoring not working? Isn't the whole point to have real time results? Luiz? Care to wade in.

The point of yachtscoring is to be a one-spot shop to administer a race. If all it had to do was real-time scoring, it would be a lot cheaper.

A warning: Come and fuck with me in this thread and I'll fuck with you.

I wish I didn't have the dick surgery. It's really broken and ugly now.

For those of you who are interested in little facts about Cuban life, know that the government restricts all sorts of internet usage with the outside world, and anyone bringing in comms that are not monitorable - satphones for instance - has them sealed in a special envelope by customs when you enter, and any damage they see to the seal when you leave gets you fined or worse.

Uploading things to youtube or facebook is extremely difficult. Neither skype nor any VOIP works either. Calls are around 3$/min depending on carrier, and you can't buy burner phones.

A warning: Come and fuck with me in this thread and I'll fuck with you.

I wish I didn't have the dick surgery. It's really broken and ugly now.

There's an easy joke in there that involves your wife, but I respect her too much. I'm done.

Rhumbline lost their rudder

I'm gutted for them after the same thing happened to us on the Hobie 33 last year in the same race in the same conditions. They've even bailed to the same marina we bailed to. It's a tough one to take. The Hobie is an offshore rocket, and Mirage will likely win this race overall, but the rudder is their major point of concern in sporty conditions.

Doubly impressed by the crew on Simon Says sailing it in with the emergency tiller. That takes serious skill, but if anyone is capable of doing it then it's the group of experienced guys in the afterguard of that boat.

Oh and I like Mojitos.

Ah ok, no worries.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh and saw your edit to your post and so will add to mine... The F31s don't carry a masthead kite. Its a frac rig. Bit surprised they didn't send it at least in daylight in those conditions but again I wasn't there and this is why I used the term rally. Same on the wide band multihull rating comment. Can see both sides. Respect both sides. If I had to guess I would disagree w Ron but that's an uniformed opinion and there ain't no way IMHO to rate boats that different. So just go and have fun... rally. Cheers. Wess

Some 31s were modded for MH kites. Talk to Mike Leneman. They allowed it in OD as long as the kite measured in.

Oh and I like Mojitos.

Ah ok, no worries.

Some 31s were modded for MH kites. Talk to Mike Leneman. They allowed it in OD as long as the kite measured in.

Dang; I didn't know that... Just learned something. Thanks. Wess

On peregrine about 15 miles E of Marathon we heard a very loud crack, took a while to investigate but we found that the deck under the forward edge of the masthead had crushed and the mast was pumping forward and the aft edge lifting about 1/2" with the runner boned on tight. With about 135 mi left to sail across the stream in winds that had built to low 20s it just wasn't prudent to continue.

I can't speak for any others but we were there to race to a unique destination with a great group of friends. We didn't make the ultimate destination, but had a great experience non the less. We nailed the start at the gun and raced hard (on a cruising cat). Even caught some tuna and had fresh sushi during a light patch.....which is all way better than sitting at your computer and jerking off while criticizing others who are living the dream.

And unlike Clean I don't drink enough to get hung over....I still get grumpy after some of the crap I read hear.

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

On peregrine about 15 miles E of Marathon we heard a very loud crack, took a while to investigate but we found that the deck under the forward edge of the masthead had crushed and the mast was pumping forward and the aft edge lifting about 1/2" with the runner boned on tight. With about 135 mi left to sail across the stream in winds that had built to low 20s it just wasn't prudent to continue.

I can't speak for any others but we were there to race to a unique destination with a great group of friends. We didn't make the ultimate destination, but had a great experience non the less. We nailed the start at the gun and raced hard (on a cruising cat). Even caught some tuna and had fresh sushi during a light patch.....which is all way better than sitting at your computer and jerking off while criticizing others who are living the dream.

And unlike Clean I don't drink enough to get hung over....I still get grumpy after some of the crap I read hear.

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

It's not how you start, but how you finish.

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

Well they DNFed with the mast still standing and nobody hurt which seems prudent and pretty good outcome given the situation described.

I can't speak for any others but we were there to race to a unique destination with a great group of friends. We didn't make the ultimate destination, but had a great experience non the less. We nailed the start at the gun and raced hard (on a cruising cat). Even caught some tuna and had fresh sushi during a light patch.....which is all way better than sitting at your computer and jerking off while criticizing others who are living the drea

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

Living the dream on a 'can't get out of it's way 48 with a deaf guy driving?'

Frankly, I'd rather jerk off in front of my computer. The picture of you "nailing" the start is the equivalent of nailing it in shuffleboard/ Get a life. Going 9kts on a multi sucks.

go cal20 sailor!

telling it like it is

tell me more about clean's wife 's joke, inquiring minds want to know

I can't speak for any others but we were there to race to a unique destination with a great group of friends. We didn't make the ultimate destination, but had a great experience non the less. We nailed the start at the gun and raced hard (on a cruising cat). Even caught some tuna and had fresh sushi during a light patch.....which is all way better than sitting at your computer and jerking off while criticizing others who are living the drea

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

Living the dream on a 'can't get out of it's way 48 with a deaf guy driving?'

Frankly, I'd rather jerk off in front of my computer. The picture of you "nailing" the start is the equivalent of nailing it in shuffleboard/ Get a life. Going 9kts on a multi sucks.

LOL, well only a long standing friend can say that!

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

+1

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

It is neither. It's about doing what you love as often as possible. If you don't love sailing for it's own sake, you won't get it.

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

It is neither. It's about doing what you love as often as possible. If you don't love sailing for it's own sake, you won't get it.

Butte, you do?

Hey, Clean's wife is amazing and off the table. Clean did well with Mer.

Thank you. Can we stop fucking around now? Results of everyone who has given us times are up, and a lot of times we ran down too. Photos are sent out already and I'll upload some after I get something to eat. Have walked 9 miles already between boats, club, hotel, and customs and forgot to eat today.

Cuba doesn't apparently like the way we are trying to upload videos. They ban quite a few things here - no Skype, facetime, whatsapp, or similar voip telephony. They also ban certain features within sites like Facebook Live and youtube live.

I've tried two different good VPNs - fairly expensive ones that have worked for me for UAE and China - but can't seem to get around it.

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

Butte, you do?

Do I love sailing for its own sake? Yer damned right. Getting to sea saved my life, and continues to save it every few weeks. Even watching sailing helps my brain keep from eating itself.

Ron White

Navigator

Peregrine

Butte, you do?

Do I love sailing for its own sake? Yer damned right. Getting to sea saved my life, and continues to save it every few weeks. Even watching sailing helps my brain keep from eating itself.

I licke it Bro! :)

For those of you who are interested in little facts about Cuban life, know that the government restricts all sorts of internet usage with the outside world, and anyone bringing in comms that are not monitorable - satphones for instance - has them sealed in a special envelope by customs when you enter, and any damage they see to the seal when you leave gets you fined or worse.

Uploading things to youtube or facebook is extremely difficult. Neither skype nor any VOIP works either. Calls are around 3$/min depending on carrier, and you can't buy burner phones.

FWIW, I have sat in central squares in many Cuban towns next to people who were chatting with family in another Cuban town on their laptop. They might not have been using Skype, but they were using something like it.

For the 500th anniversary of Cuba a few years ago, the government put wi-fi hotspots in public squares in a lot of towns. They also have internet cafes (remember those?) in most towns.

I have no idea if the government blocks access to social media sites. They might just be making life miserable for Americans, which is a sport Cuban government officials really enjoy. I have never had any difficulty accessing any website I wanted, including Sailing Anarchy. Things might take a while to load, but that's Cuba.

I'm sure they viewed your satphone with utmost suspicion. That's Cuba, too.

Friendliest people on earth. Enjoy your time there.

OK, so if it did go on the nose, that explains why Mirage "only" got 3rd and 5th overall. Good for Christian and crew, and maybe I need to drag my Andrews 28 down to do this one too.

Cheers, Greg

FWIW, I have sat in central squares in many Cuban towns next to people who were chatting with family in another Cuban town on their laptop. They might not have been using Skype, but they were using something like it.

For the 500th anniversary of Cuba a few years ago, the government put wi-fi hotspots in public squares in a lot of towns. They also have internet cafes (remember those?) in most towns.

I have no idea if the government blocks access to social media sites. They might just be making life miserable for Americans, which is a sport Cuban government officials really enjoy. I have never had any difficulty accessing any website I wanted, including Sailing Anarchy. Things might take a while to load, but that's Cuba.

I'm sure they viewed your satphone with utmost suspicion. That's Cuba, too.

Friendliest people on earth. Enjoy your time there.

What we are running up against is really slow upload times more than anything. The wifi cards that they sell are good for one hour. Any video (and I shot a ton of it yesterday, including finish and arrivals), takes over an hour to upload, even when compressed, so the connection gets cut when the card runs out and we are back to square one. Of course, it is a time consuming waste to find out whether a method or connection is going to work.

Back to just taking pics. Updates up on the main race page and the SORC FB page. Off to get more shots and will be revising the finish sheet as skippers give us times.

Got one up!  Only costed 9 dollars and 6 hours of my life...and that's just a 480p downgrade @80 MB!

When I was there in January, Hemingway Marina WiFi was barely functional. Best bet was at the Hotel National. You buy a login at the business center on the 2nd floor. Access Point in the courtyard sucks, but the small inside bar to the west of the courtyard worked well (for Cuba at least)

Skype didn't work, but some folks from Germany were using some other VOIP service successfully. Book of faces was hit/miss

Thanks for that Max. Just found it, is called IMO. Might get to talk to my little girl finally!

Sounds mostly right on the previous names for Simon Says with the addition of Grins after Front Runner and before Titan.. That boat has sailed a lot of races since the first one in 1991, good to see sailors still enjoying the ride.

Testing Life, Chico, and Dragon - PHRF Class winners - all followed more or less the same line, which just so happens to be the most westerly. All were looking for the rightie, and all got it.

Testing Life, Chico, and Dragon - PHRF Class winners - all followed more or less the same line, which just so happens to be the most westerly. All were looking for the rightie, and all got it.

Jim and the Chico 2 TEAM killed it!

Sounds like internet speeds down there still suck Clean. I thought it would improve.