frozenhawaiian

do you think the melges 14 will catch on?

On our end, any masters Laser sailors that talk about switching or have switched to other boats talk exclusively about the Aero. But as it's been said, seems to be all about geography. 

On 6/26/2017 at 8:48 AM, xonk1 said:

This thread began with the question " do you think the Melges 14 will catch on? " Here at the Lake Lanier Sailing Club just north of Atlanta the answer seems to be a definite YES. After the Melges traveling demo team came to our club we now have FIVE ( 5 ) brand new 14s on our ramp. Number SIX ( 6 ) has been ordered to be delivered soon. Seems pretty clear that once sailors try the 14 they love it. Arrange a demo in your area and you might be surprised. The reaction here has been very positive. More members are expressing an interest as the new boats sail. The only problem seems to be what to do with all the old Lasers? Check it out.

give them to the opti kids...

I just wish M had an event near me...    we have a largish (30+)  laser fleet, but most of the sailors are getting older and less manueverable  so comfort is starting to be a factor..  and like me my weight (225lb) prevents me from competing in the boat..

Does anyone know the approximate production rates for the Melges 14 ?  There seems to be plenty of activity with many regatta/demo sailing days scheduled across the country but some buyers with down payments paid seem to wait a long time for their boats. Is the boat just too popular? Is the demand well beyond expectations? Hope so? 

^^^

lol.

Melges does not have the best reputation when it comes to building dinghies. 
You saw the mess they made in the few years they built 29ers?

I imagine there are delays, because, it's Melges, and you do whatever they tell you to do and be happy about it.

Super fun boat, we have 5 at Privateer yacht club in Chattanooga and look like we are going to be adding at least 2 more to our fleet shortly.  I have been an MC Scow racer so I am a little behind on the learning curve but it is a blast to sail.

Puffdaddy, Glad to hear things at Privateer are going so well for the Melges 14.  Here at Lake Lanier Sailing Club ( Atlanta ) we now have six. Big news is that Team Melges is coming south for our ( LLSC ) annual Halloween Regatta Oct 28-29. I have already reserved a charter boat for the regatta. Excellent deal at $300. for three days. Contact Eddie Cox at Melges. He is heading up the Melges 14 push here for our Halloween Regatta. Hope some of your Melges 14 guys can join us for the regatta. Great chance for the interested folks to charter and try it in a friendly race environment. Come on Down!

Things are looking really good for the annual Halloween Regatta here at Lake Lanier Sailing club with the arrival of " Team Melges ' to support the growing Melges 14 fleet ( now 6 boats ). They are bringing charter boats and we expect a good showing from the Melges14 fleet at Privateer Yacht Club in Chattanooga. Could be as many as 15 boats for racing. Details next week. Happy Sailing!

I took a Melges 14 for a spin after the Annapolis Boat Show.

It was super light when I started and when you have to kneel in the boat or stand up and rock it while pumping the sail, it's a pleasure.  Heading towards Greenbury Pt. the breeze picked up and the boat really came alive.  What I was most impressed with was the seat of the pants feel to acceleration, the boat tugs much more actively than I was used to with either the Laser Standard or the Laser with the Intensity Powerhead, or from the test sails of the Aero 9.  The boat is very lively.  Coming back in I had a lot of power boat chop to surf on and it only took the slightly s-curve effort from Laser sailing to induce a short surf that I know is too light to experience on a Laser.

I really liked the boat.  It was very comfortable, stable, easy downwind, quick on a reach and stable, stable, stable.  I purposefully took the restriction knot out of the sheet and allowed the main out beyond 90 and sailed aggressively by the lee to the point of auto gybing a few times.  The boat communicated its intent with a pause in speed, loose rudder feel, and then as the sail came through I felt like I had all the time in the world to adjust my weight.  I never felt the urge to throw myself against the gybe, it was a stable transition.

The only reason I didn't write a check that day with the sale that was going on was because I'm in Annapolis and for a singlehander you either sail a Laser or take up mountain biking.

I recently saw a dealer demo for sale - Sail # 538 but the add mentioned hull # 38. Any idea of how many boats made so far?

Andy Burdick  ( Melges ) says the HULL NUMBERS are sequential and represent the number a particular boat was in the production sequence. I think sail numbers are meaningless with regard to your question. Happy Sailing

17 hours ago, xonk1 said:

Andy Burdick  ( Melges ) says the HULL NUMBERS are sequential and represent the number a particular boat was in the production sequence. I think sail numbers are meaningless with regard to your question. Happy Sailing

Thanks for the info. Any idea how many hulls have been produced?

My GUESS ( and it's only my guess ) is 300 world wide. Let's hope someone with direct knowledge can give you an exact number.

PW-

I'd like to get one, too. Avon NY is just a bit too far. Not sure why all the local guys are buying Finns when something 1/2 the price (new vs. new) and 70 years newer is available.

Probably easier to get a new one from Zenda.

Thanks for your reply.

On 8/14/2017 at 12:17 PM, Mystique said:

at least someone knows how to build quality boats.....

i've heard M14 production has been picking up too

IMG_1240.thumb.PNG.9e141c88f0764b66c085a5d08cc84fb6.png

Yes this was certainly unfortunate but the failure rate of 3 out of 2300+ isn't too shabby. 

2 of those happened in the U.S.

Both times this happened in the U.S. we replaced the hulls and in both cases it wasn't related to this quality issue or others.  These are the only hull integrity issues I've had with the RS Aero North America, and we really did the best we could to support these customers, I'd say their happy!

We learned that the issue was related to not gluing the transom screws in well enough, when they loosened they torqued that area around and this was the result.  

• Like 1

Whether you are a fan of the Aero or not, great to see them stand behind their product and be transparent about the issue. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RSsailingNA said:

Yes this was certainly unfortunate but the failure rate of 3 out of 2300+ isn't too shabby. 

2 of those happened in the U.S.

Both times this happened in the U.S. we replaced the hulls and in both cases it wasn't related to this quality issue or others.  These are the only hull integrity issues I've had with the RS Aero North America, and we really did the best we could to support these customers, I'd say their happy!

We learned that the issue was related to not gluing the transom screws in well enough, when they loosened they torqued that area around and this was the result.  

I sailed both the M14 and the Aero. Liked both, but would buy the M14 because it felt more comfortable to me. Regardless of my preference, I am extremely happy both are selling well.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 2:50 PM, Running with Scissors said:

I'd guess more like 600 boats. How can I find out about the dealer demo that might be for sale? What part of the country? Or any Melges 14's that might be for sale?

Thanks.

Sold, about a week!

http://shorelinesailboats.com/used-sailboats/

Yeah, that's the price of a new one, but the road trailer is the extra bonus.

Was it too much $ for him or too much physically?

I've read that they are easy to depower. Anyone have experience with how physical the boat it? Say compared to a Laser or Finn?

1 hour ago, Running with Scissors said:

Yeah, that's the price of a new one, but the road trailer is the extra bonus.

Was it too much $ for him or too much physically?

I've read that they are easy to depower. Anyone have experience with how physical the boat it? Say compared to a Laser or Finn?

He's older, but I think if he went to a smaller rig he'd have been fine. I find it easier to depower than a Laser, but if you don't pull the strings you've got a pretty powerful sail on your hands. When I first started sailing the Laser I had a day that kicked my ass so hard I questioned seriously if I was done with it. Fortunately I got over that and figured it out. I think he had a similar experience in Sarasota but went the other direction. I wish he'd give it another go, but I get where he's coming from. I believe the boat has been sailed a couple times.