• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
nbs3431

Shoes for big boat racing

Does anyone have recommendations for a pair of shoes for big boat racing? I've tried Vans but they get pretty nasty after a season and I had a pair of the Slam shoes and didn't like them.

Was thinking one of these three:

https://www.zhik.com/zkg-lime.html?___store=us_sail

http://www.sperry.com/en/sperry-7-seas-boat-shoe/28371M.html?dwvar_28371M_color=STS15527&from=QuickView

http://www.zappos.com/p/adidas-outdoor-climacool-boat-lace-col-navy-chalk-white-black/product/8251743/color/529843

I own the Zhiks and the Adidas. The Zhiks are great but not as durable as the Adidas as the neoprene upper can tear. The Zhiks have a bit snugger feel fit for me.

When big boat racing you need big shoes.

I prefer Converse tall boys .

That extra 8.5 cm of high water clearance realy helps to keep your feet dry when the going gets tough.

post-47414-0-94664000-1489605646_thumb.jpg

Foredeck work in warm weather = Zhik ZKG's. Best grip period.

Offshore, Dubarry's. You can whine and b$tch about the sole problem and I'm sure there are some bad apples but mine have been transatlantic and have two Newport to Bermuda's on them. Grippy, durable, DRY. I have the gray ones, I take care of them and they take care of me. Like all boat shoes, they never get worn off the boat!!!

Been wearing a pair of the Sperry's recently and been pretty impressed with them - they're comfortable barefoot or with socks, dry quickly, drain pretty well, don't smell (so far!), and are super grippy on our patchy non-skid deck.

For the day to day ,seven day a week , 10,000 mile grind , traditional leather topsiders rule. Easy in, easy out, dont stink the cabin up when wet, versatile enough to attend wedding , go to the bar, appear before the judge.....

For racing, when you need to use your feet as tools to stomp a sail into a bag or kick assholes out of a sheet, good quality sports trainer type shoes do the trick .

post-47414-0-15844500-1489782460_thumb.jpg

Adidas all the way. Our crew of 10 have been wearing them for the past 3-4 seasons. They can be had for cheap, don't smell, have awesome drainage and dry quickly, and retain their grip as long as you don't wear them off the boat. I know some guys these days who just get a pair of Rocky Socks and wear them with the Adidas on medium distance races (Vineyard, Block, Chi-Mac, etc) too.

Presuming Ed, wash in the dishwasher not the washing machine. Though usually rinising with fresh water after gnarly weather and then a good soak every so often should be sufficient.

For the day to day ,seven day a week , 10,000 mile grind , traditional leather topsiders rule. Easy in, easy out, dont stink the cabin up when wet, versatile enough to attend wedding , go to the bar, appear before the judge.....

For racing, when you need to use your feet as tools to stomp a sail into a bag or kick assholes out of a sheet, good quality sports trainer type shoes do the trick .

Ditto!

Presuming Ed, wash in the dishwasher not the washing machine. Though usually rinising with fresh water after gnarly weather and then a good soak every so often should be sufficient.

Not a bad idea. Our washing machine has a sports shoe cycle, which is what I've been using. Chuck a towel in, too.

fuft006_platinum_1.jpg

Wash in washing machine after every weekend.

love my Mustos...........

Found the Zhiks to be good, just try what fits your feet best, if the shoe fits...

Chuck Taylor high Tops!

cause they haven't improved shoes since the 50's ( note sarcasm )

love the zhik's, very grippy

I like the Zhik's.

I slipped and broke my ankle on an offshore race, and was determined to get the grippiest boat shoe when I got back on the boat.

Sat in a shop and tried on a good selection of shoes before settling on the Zhiks.

I think that they would be a cold shoe when damp though so it might depend on the climate you're sailing in.

What the hell happened to the Sperrys? They've discontinued the SeaRacers. Finally get shoes I like that will last for a season, and all that's available is size 8, (avoiding a small hands joke here). Guess they are going for the dockominium market.

Those ^^^^ suck ass as the coating wears off the sole and they become sponges for dirt- I hate them and the people who traipse dirty fucking footprints all over the boat-

May as well wear lug soled work boots ya filthy knuckle dragging heathen...

No dirt smearing shit soled crocs with laces....no, never.

So....here's a blonde question. I'm going to a regatta in Antigua in a few weeks, and the owner has advised us to not wear regular sailing shoes, as they will never dry. He said Crocs will be a better idea. I think Crocs are the ugliest shoes EVER but have now purchased the least ugly pair I could find.

But they are black. Will they be OK to use on a white deck? I mean, I guess there's a difference between a rubber sole on a regular shoe, and the firm plastic on the Crocs?

So....here's a blonde question. I'm going to a regatta in Antigua in a few weeks, and the owner has advised us to not wear regular sailing shoes, as they will never dry. He said Crocs will be a better idea. I think Crocs are the ugliest shoes EVER but have now purchased the least ugly pair I could find.

But they are black. Will they be OK to use on a white deck? I mean, I guess there's a difference between a rubber sole on a regular shoe, and the firm plastic on the Crocs?

Be alert...unless you are going as galley crew it sounds like the person you are sailing with is a wanker.

If the boat requires you wear crocs , be sure to also .... wear a crash helmut, lifevest , take out extra accident insurance and have your lawyers phone number ready on speed dial . Your new gang sounds dangerous.

Dont do it ... Tell the wanker to take a hike.....crocs for a seaman are a terrible choice.

Conventional leather deck shoes or a pair of clean trainer type shoes.

White shoe soles. Something with good traction that strap securely onto your foot

To be a competent seaman your shoes must stay on your feet when youre kicking ass.

A typical crew uniform for something like antigua week would be ......long bermuda shorts...to your knee...sailing gloves, knee pads if youre a mast or forward crew, baseball cap, sun block numer 1000000 and strap on sunglasses. A long sleave shirt is not a bad idea. A lightweight sailing jacket, wind breaker, spray deflector is also needed .

Be alert

Be alert...unless you are going as galley crew it sounds like the person you are sailing with is a wanker.

If the boat requires you wear crocs , be sure to also .... wear a crash helmut, lifevest , take out extra accident insurance and have your lawyers phone number ready on speed dial . Your new gang sounds dangerous.

Dont do it ... Tell the wanker to take a hike.....crocs for a seaman are a terrible choice.

Conventional leather deck shoes or a pair of clean trainer type shoes.

White shoe soles. Something with good traction that strap securely onto your foot

To be a competent seaman your shoes must stay on your feet when youre kicking ass.

A typical crew uniform for something like antigua week would be ......long bermuda shorts...to your knee...sailing gloves, knee pads if youre a mast or forward crew, baseball cap, sun block numer 1000000 and strap on sunglasses. A long sleave shirt is not a bad idea. A lightweight sailing jacket, wind breaker, spray deflector is also needed .

Be alert

Hm. The crocs I bought have straps and seem to sit just as good as my regular HH sailing shoes....but maybe I should bring them as a backup. I was mostly concerned about the color and if it will rub off on the deck?

As for long bermuda shorts: I'm not a dude! :P

Long bermudas have deep pockets.....sail ties, tape, woolies...or whatever your position requires goes in those pockets

Long bermudas protect the back of your legs when sitting out on the rail and they protect you from rope burns if a line runs while you are Sitting on it

You may Do as you please....

Long bermudas have deep pockets.....sail ties, tape, woolies...or whatever your position requires goes in those pockets

Long bermudas protect the back of your legs when sitting out on the rail and they protect you from rope burns if a line runs while you are Sitting on it

You may Do as you please....

My regular sailing shorts/skirts also have room for all my gear :) I usually carry a knife, tape, a soft shackle, gloves, and chocolate in my pockets, and sail rope around my waste and a spike connected to my belt with a stretch rope.

sitting on ropes is forbidden, btw!

I think us7070 has the real answer right here. Any of the shoes discussed in this thread will work fine, as long as they're used as true boat shoes. Carry your shoes to the boat, only put 'em on once you're onboard. The only time the shoes I race in touch dry land is when I forget to take them off before docking.

Don't wear them to drive over, don't wear them on the lawn. If you save them for the boat, they'll last ages, and if the skipper is enough of a weenie that he objects to the weight of your extra flip flops, he damn well better be able to point to some Super Series or AC results to back up that ego.

Yes^^ except for the flip flop part

My adidas are going into their second season and are basically brand new-

I think us7070 has the real answer right here. Any of the shoes discussed in this thread will work fine, as long as they're used as true boat shoes. Carry your shoes to the boat, only put 'em on once you're onboard. The only time the shoes I race in touch dry land is when I forget to take them off before docking.

Don't wear them to drive over, don't wear them on the lawn. If you save them for the boat, they'll last ages, and if the skipper is enough of a weenie that he objects to the weight of your extra flip flops, he damn well better be able to point to some Super Series or AC results to back up that ego.

Flops stay on the dock. End of story...

Flops stay on the dock. End of story...

^^ this , unless you are point to point racing and need them on the other end.

If there's a dock sure, but moorings complicate that.

Maybe I just need to HTFU.

that goes without saying....

cant beat gum rubber soles on slippery boats. Top siders work well for me. Vans are $50 and comparable w/gum rubber soles. soles might be a bit thick. need to be broken in. the breathable shoes let water and air in, might be an issue for long duration sailing or cold water and/or cold wind. top siders have the bases covered here.

I usually wear shoes from Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik, they have great shoes that are very comfortable!

Best boat shoes ever were "canvas" style Topsiders with nylon uppers and insoles, they'd dry during your offwatch, didn't stink, and were light-weight. Of course, Sperry stopped making them back in the eighties when they decided to go for the fashion market. Too bad. More recent models based on running shoes with sponge backing on the uppers are a big problem when they get wet.

To dry your shoes overnight, stuff them with newspaper.

Gotta say I've just found the best (personally) boat shoe I've ever put on; Addidas Terrex Climacool; cheaper than Sperrys, grippy AF, amazingly light, soft, flexible.

And they come in black.

HW

I buy New Balance tennis shoes. There must be differences with "sailing" shoes but I can't find them.

On 7/1/2017 at 4:10 PM, equivocator said:

Best boat shoes ever were "canvas" style Topsiders with nylon uppers and insoles, they'd dry during your offwatch, didn't stink, and were light-weight. Of course, Sperry stopped making them back in the eighties when they decided to go for the fashion market. Too bad. More recent models based on running shoes with sponge backing on the uppers are a big problem when they get wet.

To dry your shoes overnight, stuff them with newspaper.

I couldn't find a newspaper, so I shoved my iPad in.  Now it doesn't work!

Addidas Climacools.  Crazy grip, great in hot weather due to draining and light construction, decent in cool weather, just wear scuba socks. 

Sperry SeaRacer.

Best boat shoe I have ever worn....

Into second season and grip is still very good.

Shoes are light, comfortable, drain well, dry quickly.

download.jpg

Good water shoe should with real grip and cushion sole. Dry fast and can be kicked off if you fall in and need to swim distance.  I wear Keenes from car to dock. Water shoes from then on.

Speedo makes good water shoes. Buy 3 for the price off those speciality sailing shoes above.

586689402_tp.jpg

People keep speccing "white soles" you don't need white soles. You need non-marking soles. 

I've worn wetsuit booties for winter stuff in the PNW. When I bought them at the dive shop I went it ND rubbed them in the deck of his dive boat to be sure whether won't leave a mark  many shoes with colored soles will be fine. 

The booties give good grip and are great for keeping you feet warm in wet conditions. But no arch support and for long distance stuff they may start to stink, bit great for rxes like round the county or southern straits. 

For fair weather races I prefer circa skatboard shoes. 

Given up with 'Boat shoes'. I just wear the newest pair of sneakers I own. Always buy non-marking. I just check them for stones and dirt before going sailing.

Flame away

On 8/4/2017 at 4:11 PM, Soley said:

Given up with 'Boat shoes'. I just wear the newest pair of sneakers I own. Always buy non-marking. I just check them for stones and dirt before going sailing.

Flame away

Duly flamed.

In my experience, sneakers (particularly running shoes) have too much cushion in the sole and they lack lateral stability--which really sucks when you're scrambling around on a heeling deck.  I usually do bow, so I do a lot of scrambling.

Also, the soles don't grip like a good boat shoe.

Based on the recommendations here, I bought the Zhiks when my Sperry soles suddenly turned hard and useless.  With three races on them now, I am a big fan.  I just bought a pair for my wife.

Bought Zhiks a couple years ago for myself and my wife.  they were great on the marginal non-skid on our new to us boat.  I was unable to sail for a year due to a medical challenge - now the sole of the Zhiks has gotten a bit hard - slippery on a dry deck - still good on a wet deck.

On 8/23/2017 at 1:19 AM, rodjun53 said:

I find Shiks very comfortable and grippy. So far I have no complaints.

+1 on Zhiks!

Grippyest shoes I have had n a long time.

(look like clown shoes though)

On 7/6/2017 at 3:52 PM, Lex Teredo said:

Addidas Climacools.  Crazy grip, great in hot weather due to draining and light construction, decent in cool weather, just wear scuba socks. 

As much as I hate to post in ANOTHER shoe thread, This...  I have had them for a few years, skip on the 20 and crew on some big boats.  Haven't broken down yet, don't stink (never wear sox,) still sticky, are light as crap and dry quickly.  I never really let them touch the dock though.  Will buy another pair when these die, but so far so good.   

Any Merrell product. Unbelievably grippy , mostly water proof. Last for ever. Wear them on the way to the boat , rinse off the soles on the dock, go sailing.my 2 cents

On 8/31/2017 at 3:34 PM, vdm said:

+1 on Zhiks!

Grippyest shoes I have had n a long time.

(look like clown shoes though)

Same here.  tried a bunch of shoes.  the new Zhiks kick ass.  If you really beat them up and theyre wet a lot, one piece of rubber tends to peel off, but i'm a new pair each year guy and theyre my favorite deck shoes i've tried.  If it's wet, wear boots, if it's dry the zhik's are great.

On 7/30/2017 at 9:38 AM, Black Jack said:

Good water shoe should with real grip and cushion sole. Dry fast and can be kicked off if you fall in and need to swim distance.  I wear Keenes from car to dock. Water shoes from then on.

Speedo makes good water shoes. Buy 3 for the price off those speciality sailing shoes above.

586689402_tp.jpg

trouble i find with the watershoe and some sailing shoes are the deep grooves on the sole, so instead of a solid flat surface..  then the sole starts to peel away from the foam bottom ...  have had a couple of  brands do this and I do wear them on the boat..  last one is a pair of sperry's ,  haven't found a glue that will work yet.