Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joelark81

Best Laser Hiking Pants

I am a junior laser sailor from North Cape Yacht Club in Western Lake Erie. I am in need of some new hiking pants and I'm not sure what to buy. I need them to have battons and suspenders, it would be great if they were 3/4 length too. If anyone can offer up advice to guide me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Sandiline. By far the best. You can't buy them in the us. Try suntouched in the UK.

The long johns that I see most commonly on Laser sailors, and which fit your description perfectly, are made by the Australian brand SEA and are available in the US. Try the web site for West Coast Sailing, which is geared almost entirely to dinghy sailors. Landfall (CT) and APS (Annapolis) are also possible sources.

Zhik is a great way to go. But the truth is they have to fit. If you can make your way to a sailing shop to try a few on, do that.

I have never liked hiking pants with suspenders. I bought the SEA with the waist-lock feature a few years ago, and I've had no issue with them riding down. They come in both breathable Airprene for warmer weather and full neoprene for colder.

Torrid and I are partly on opposite ends of this one . I wear suspendered hiking pants because belts and drawstrings exert pressures on parts of my body i prefer not to stress.

Lots of my friends have left dinghy sailing because their lower backs, kidney areas, and similar give them pain.

I think the suspenders do me less harm

As I cannot test my theory without hurting myself??? Suspenders or no hiking pants

I have never liked hiking pants with suspenders. I bought the SEA with the waist-lock feature a few years ago, and I've had no issue with them riding down. They come in both breathable Airprene for warmer weather and full neoprene for colder.

+1

I love the waist lock SEA, but short leg. Love the back support. Plus, I never liked how the neoprene feels behind the knee on the 3/4. Airprene short layers well too, so no need for warm/cold pairs. Just throw on a 1/2mm neoprene or some zhik layer under.

Rooster, designed for Laser sailors by a great Laser sailor.

Zhik is a great way to go. But the truth is they have to fit. If you can make your way to a sailing shop to try a few on, do that.

+1 on the fit.

If you are close to a shop try them on. If not I highly recommend that you pay close attention to the size and measurement charts of the different brands. I was looking for hiking pants and a wetsuit for my 13 year old daughter last week. She grew a lot last year, but she is still not close to the built of an average adult (her hip is a size m, her waist is between sizes xs and s). So, I ended up ordering from Zhik for her for the simple reason that the Zhik stuff is very stretchy. It worked out perfectly and stuff fits her well.

There is a bunch of the old style 3/4 hikers on sale at the Zhik clearance sale for 70% off

So a lot of people I know who have seas they're like falling apart. I like the idea of movable battons too so I'm not sure about the rooster ones, the zhiks would be ideal so I think I might go for those if I can get them cheap enough, I really wish my current magic marine pants still fit because they're ideal, thanks for all the help.

Sandiline. By far the best. You can't buy them in the us. Try suntouched in the UK.

+ 1. These are what almost everyone in the finn fleet wears, and they know about hiking. That said, I like the SEA waistlock ( no suspenders ).

Rooster, designed for Laser sailors by a great Laser sailor.

Brendan Casey is/was a Laser sailer as well, so the same can be said for SEA.

I have the shorty suspender hikers for warm weather and the 3/4 suspender hikers for colder times.

My SEA gear is going on year 3 and shows little wear after at least once a week use on Lake Michigan from April to November. That said, Laser gear in general wears out pretty quick. It's pretty hard to say that Rooster, Zhik or SEA wear out any better than the other.

My favorite pair were made by Queen Sport in Australia, I got them free when I ordered a new sail from Laser many moons ago.

Now I use Rooster 3/4 length classic hikers with a pair of lycra shorts over the top. I've worn out two pairs of shorts so far, but the hikers are still like new after more than five years of all year round use.

One tip is you really need to try them on before you buy & get them a size too small, as neoprene has quite a lot of stretch when it's wet & the pads won't stay in place very well.

There is a bunch of the old style 3/4 hikers on sale at the Zhik clearance sale for 70% off

I love this place!!

Just bought some Wettie 3/4 hikers in the weekend. NZ $99 inc tax. Very comfortable for my 100kg frame.

My $60 Zhik hikers showed up today. Just have to figure out what to do with that stack of pads that came with the pants.

OP....I am from NCYC.....live in Sylvania area. I have got a pair of 3/4 hiking pants with battens and suspenders...barely used...if they fit you, can be had for a good deal. Send me a PM if interested.

My $60 Zhik hikers showed up today. Just have to figure out what to do with that stack of pads that came with the pants.

Look inside the pants legs. There pockets to insert them into

The part that wasn't obvious is that there are 3 pads for each side. The 2 battened ones and then 4 extras. The 4 without battens are just padding thickness adjusters for comfort I suppose?

Yes^^^

The extra height will change your life-

I cannot and will not sail without my zhiks- they're in tatters after years of hiking and I still wear em-

Note: this is not a waranty issue, they've been used hard and put away wet for 7 years and even without an ass they work, although I need to wear shorts over em now so as not to advertise crack for sale...

If they had my size avail I'd have grabbed another set but I don't sail dinghys as much anymore so it wasn't a huge disappointment.

I stand firmly by my opinion that everything Zhik makes rocks and their customer service in the event of a problem is second to none...

Enjoy your new pants

The part that wasn't obvious is that there are 3 pads for each side. The 2 battened ones and then 4 extras. The 4 without battens are just padding thickness adjusters for comfort I suppose?

The batten pads go against the thigh side, and the soft eva pads go on the outside of the stack. We originally thought the hardness of the batten pad would create a wear spot on the hikers and we added the eva pad to avoid a chafe spot. We also included a separate eva pad in the kit in case the original eva pad wore out quickly. What you received is one of our early sets with the extra eva pads. You can wear the eva pads by themselves, but don't try that with the batten pads, it will cause excessive wear on the hikers over time.

-Mike