• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
nwslider

Melges 30 converted to Melges 32

24 posts in this topic

Looking for experience and advice. I'm looking at a 1999 Melges 32 for sale, was told it was hull #1 converted to a 32 by Melges, 32 mast, inboard removed, 32 bow sprite, and I believe 32 keel. I'm worried about a couple things, I really want to do more one design and traveling but hearing the Melges 32 fleets in the NW US are on the decline, and wanting to hear how easy the boat travels, mainly how easy is it to setup and tear down time and effort wise. I'm assuming I would need a hoist/crane for the mast?!?

Also worried about crew size requirements, could be tough to find 7 - 9 crew on a weekly basis, is this still expected for the 32 or was this an artifact of the runners and bow sprite on the 30?

Also wondering about wind, my weekly races will have wind averaging 18 - 30 with higher gusts, my crew prefers heavy wind so I know the crew will be fine wondering if I'm going to be happy with this boat in consistently heavier wind.

Are parts and sails going to be as easy and ordering for a Melges 32?

And finally the really tough question, price? I'm not seeing much history on 30's converted to 32's. I'm seeing like 1 or 2 listings over the last 5-10 years of 35-40K and one for 25K, anyone have any idea what they are actually selling for?

Which 32 are you looking at?

If you're actually from the PNW you'll know that our breeze does not average 18-30. We're a variable venue where we can have drifters to nukers.

32's have historically done well in the PNW, Mischief won RTC overall in 2016.

In light air you could get away with 5-6. As the breeze builds the boat needs weight upwind or else it will go sideways.

Send me a pm.

Gorge being the exception. Are you from hood river by chance?

18-30 typically?

The M32 is fully loaded at 8kts

Gonna need a boatload of rail meat and some serious talent.

May also want to get the name/number of the dude who put Scooter's boat back together.

If you're looking to sail in Hood River I might recommend finding a different boat...You're looking at about a minute in-between gybes going downwind and depth can be an issue in certain areas of the river....

There's a reason why all the gorge rats have Express 27s and Moore 24's

Not in the Gorge, on the Oregon Coast, and yeah during the summer 18 - 30 by noon.

What about a Melges 24? Would it be a better option? We want to be able to travel more and do some one design events. I would really like something that is easy to travel/trailer, easier than my keel boat anyway. Lining up for the crane at the port can be tough when the commercial guys are hammering fish, and I'll never get used to seeing my boat swinging in the air 40' above the water, depending on tide.

If its the 32 that was in Tahoe and Cali (Muddy Waters) I think. It was a factory converted 32. Keep in mind the actual 32 was built a little different and somewhere else. 32's are getting real cheap buy on of them unless this boat is in great shape and very cheap. Sails are expensive as hell, used sails are hard to come by as the fleet has declined. in any breeze you will need 8-9 to hold the boat down. A 24 is a great option if you want to go fast with only 4-5.

In its heyday, the Melges 32 dramatically reduced the cost of grand prix racing. You could run a competent budget program for $100k. per year (obviously some spent a lot more than that)

You can spend even less than that if you travel less and are not worried about staying competitive in a one design fleet, but an M32 will always be a substantial expense to run.

The Melges 24 might work for you better. There is a strong rebound in competitive amateur fleets so you dont have to hire pros. The costs of sails and travel are a fraction of a M32 program. It is an easier boat to move around. There is still a lot of M24 racing and a lot of boats.It would allow you to travel more, sail one design and have plenty of money left over for a crew T shirt.

Great info and advice everyone, thank you, exactly what I was looking for!!

Any other suggestions for small sport boats, mostly inland/inside the bay, but day trips/races for sure in the Ocean, nothing over 100 miles.

PNW has some big regattas coming up in m24.

North Americans are in july 2017 in the Gorge

Worlds are in june 2018 in Victoria, BC.

the PNW melges 24 fleet is one of the strongest in the country. learn the rig and all its depowering tools, make sure you stay at max weight (or higher, depending on what PHRF in your area allows), and go crush in Oregon and then go play at Whidby with the fleet. Older boats hold their value well, and there is a strong overseas market (or at least there was when the dollar was weak)

Not in the Gorge, on the Oregon Coast, and yeah during the summer 18 - 30 by noon.

What about a Melges 24? Would it be a better option? We want to be able to travel more and do some one design events. I would really like something that is easy to travel/trailer, easier than my keel boat anyway. Lining up for the crane at the port can be tough when the commercial guys are hammering fish, and I'll never get used to seeing my boat swinging in the air 40' above the water, depending on tide.

If you want to do one design keelboat racing in the PNW, you have two (maybe 3) choices... J24 and Melges 24 (and a smaller, but active Farr 30 fleet).

Looking for experience and advice. I'm looking at a 1999 Melges 32 for sale, was told it was hull #1 converted to a 32 by Melges, 32 mast, inboard removed, 32 bow sprite, and I believe 32 keel. I'm worried about a couple things, I really want to do more one design and traveling but hearing the Melges 32 fleets in the NW US are on the decline, and wanting to hear how easy the boat travels, mainly how easy is it to setup and tear down time and effort wise. I'm assuming I would need a hoist/crane for the mast?!?

Also worried about crew size requirements, could be tough to find 7 - 9 crew on a weekly basis, is this still expected for the 32 or was this an artifact of the runners and bow sprite on the 30?

Also wondering about wind, my weekly races will have wind averaging 18 - 30 with higher gusts, my crew prefers heavy wind so I know the crew will be fine wondering if I'm going to be happy with this boat in consistently heavier wind.

Are parts and sails going to be as easy and ordering for a Melges 32?

And finally the really tough question, price? I'm not seeing much history on 30's converted to 32's. I'm seeing like 1 or 2 listings over the last 5-10 years of 35-40K and one for 25K, anyone have any idea what they are actually selling for?

There is a reason they are cheap. They will not make it in an OD race against 32's

If you're actually from the PNW you'll know that our breeze does not average 18-30. We're a variable venue where we can have drifters to nukers.

In light air you could get away with 5-6. As the breeze builds the boat needs weight upwind or else it will go sideways.

Send me a pm.

Oh, so at 17 you're not an expert on Melges 32s and he should PM you?

Maybe you should suggest he talk to someone actually racing in the class, as opposed to an underaged PHRF weekend warrior who incorrectly suggests he sail the boat 5-6 up.

Send me a pm.

Oh, so at 17 you're not an expert on Melges 32s and he should PM you?

Maybe you should suggest he talk to someone actually racing in the class, as opposed to an underaged PHRF weekend warrior who incorrectly suggests he sail the boat 5-6 up.

To which I suggested he buy an M24. People hardly go to SA for expert advice...

It's an honor to have such a distinguished sock have hard on for me though..

I assume you are in Astoria, or maybe Newport.

Buy an Olson 30 (or even better find an Olson 29) and race OD/level with the local fleet and sail a ton and have fun.

We brought the Cheetah 30 to Astoria a few times. Like a Melges 32 or 24 it will crush the Olson in most typical Astoria conditions, but it would be more fun to sail OD or level with those guys.

Hell buy that Carrera 290 for cheap, clean it up, learn how to sail it and CRUSH the locals. That boat is a serious sleeper and has never been sailed even close to its rating.

But if you are serious about a Pacific Coast/PNW road warrior OD boat the choice is easy... Melges 24.

If you are looking at a Melges 24, you should also be looking at a Viper 640.

There are a couple of good melges 24 for sale north of the border. Find the FB pages Melges24 pnw

If you are looking at a Melges 24, you should also be looking at a Viper 640.

Go on....

Perhaps this is already a necrothread. But FWIW I've been refurbishing our 1994 Melges 24 and thus far they've had every part in stock and shipped in a day.