• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
markpre_3802

Velocitek ProStart Feedback

19 posts in this topic

I race a J24 and thinking about a new compass. Now that J24s allow GPS I was looking into Velocitek's ProStart. What do you all think of the product, does it work as you expect?

Good product and well supported. Get GPSAR (paid version) to review your tracks at home and post on sailingrecord.com for bragging rights.Course and lift/header display not as good as the Shift, but more than good enough.

Velocitek makes a solid product. I have a Volocitek S10 (the precursor to the SpeedPuck) from like 2008 that still functions like new. I lost the manual and customer service was able to point me in the direction of instructions for it.

Have no complaints against the prostart, we made a few enhancements for the J88 we race and you could argue that they have small effects on overall performance, however I can safely say that the prostart has won isn't a couple of races by being able to make an early break on the first leg

Only complaint is the compass is not magnetic. It is based on GPS COG.

have it on my j/24. love it for speed and course

Good product and well supported. Get GPSAR (paid version) to review your tracks at home and post on sailingrecord.com for bragging rights.Course and lift/header display not as good as the Shift, but more than good enough.

Do you mean GPS Action Relay? Free for 2 months??

http://gpsactionreplay.free.fr/

Does this work for the Speed Puck too?

I love the Shift. I have a shift and speed puck for my boat. I also use the speed puck on my Blokart. 58 knts top speed so far.

Do you mean GPS Action Relay? Free for 2 months??

http://gpsactionreplay.free.fr/

Does this work for the Speed Puck too?

I love the Shift. I have a shift and speed puck for my boat. I also use the speed puck on my Blokart. 58 knts top speed so far.

Yes GPSAR should work with Speed Puck files as they are generated by the same Velocitek Control Center software.

Yes, GPS Action Replay works with SpeedPuck and ProStart files. In fact, GPS Action Replay is bundled in the Velocitek Control Center download. GPS Action Replay works with .GPX files which is one of the three file formats which you can use for data download from your SpeedPuck or ProStart. You can launch GPS Action Replay directly from Velocitek Control Center:

1. Open Velocitek Control Center and connect your ProStart or SpeedPuck
  2. Select the desired track and click Download
  3. In the File View popup, select Play with GPS Action Replay

Or you can download your data as .GPX files and save it for later:

1. Open Velocitek Control Center and connect your ProStart or SpeedPuck
  2. Select the desired track and click Download
  3. In the File View popup, select Export and select the desired file format from the drop down menu

Aside from .GPX the other file formats are .VCC (a Velocitek file format), and .KML (Google Earth).

Best,

Charles

Charles Swanson
Sales & Support Manager

Velocitek
Web: www.velocitek.com
Toll free USA & Canada: 1-866-498-6737 ex. 103
Worldwide: +1-650-529-4519 ex. 103
Fax: +1-(650)-618-2679

Quick question as I can't find it in the manual.

Does the pro-start retain start line information. I ask because the club I sail in has a permanent start line from a buoy to a land based pole. If I ping them once, will it retain that line for all time until i ping somewhere else?

@Sundreamer,

Yes, the ProStart does retain the start line information. However we recommend re-pinging the line each race. There is an error vector that increases over time and fresh pings are more accurate than old ones.

Best,

Charles

Charles Swanson
Sales & Support Manager

Velocitek
Web: www.velocitek.com

18 hours ago, velocitek said:

@Sundreamer,

Yes, the ProStart does retain the start line information. However we recommend re-pinging the line each race. There is an error vector that increases over time and fresh pings are more accurate than old ones.

That is awesome. The Shore based pole is not far from my house so I can swing by there on my way to the boat, but sometimes I'll forget or not have time. I can ping the buoy easily enough. I'll be getting one and my son can have my speed-puck for his A-Class. 

On 5/28/2017 at 9:41 AM, velocitek said:

@Sundreamer,

Best,

Charles

Charles Swanson
Sales & Support Manager

Velocitek
Web: www.velocitek.com

Any way to change the heading to read magnetic?

@crashtestdummy,

The factory default for the ProStart is degrees true. To get the ProStart to display in degrees magnetic you need to enter your local magnetic declination.

Here's how to enter your local magnetic declination:

1. Look up your local magnetic declination here: https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#declination
  2. If your declination is East, enter a positive declination angle into your ProStart. If your declination is West, enter a negative declination angle into your ProStart.
  3. Press and hold RESET on your ProStart for 5 seconds.
  4. Enter your local magnetic declination, rounded to the nearest whole number, using the line set buttons on the front of your ProStart. Pin (triangle) is -1 and RC (square) is +1.
  5. Press GUN until your ProStart exits the user setup mode (one or two presses) and returns to normal operation.

It is also worth noting that the ProStart is strictly GPS based and the ProStart's "GPS heading" is actually Course Over Ground (COG). The difference between COG and heading is that COG is the direction your boat is moving and heading is the direction your boat is pointing.

The distance to the line feature takes some practice to get used to. It is not because of the device itself, but because of crowded startlines there is not always that much time for the helmsman to process the extra information...

The boatspeed it shows has a lot of delay making it Not so useful for trimming or steering.

As a compass it is okay when racing in places with no current. I have a tactick micro just above the prostart, but the prostart does the job just as well.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:04 PM, velocitek said:

Yes, GPS Action Replay works with SpeedPuck and ProStart files. In fact, GPS Action Replay is bundled in the Velocitek Control Center download. GPS Action Replay works with .GPX files which is one of the three file formats which you can use for data download from your SpeedPuck or ProStart. You can launch GPS Action Replay directly from Velocitek Control Center:

I just got the Prostart and used it for one race. Now I'm trying to use GPS AR but there's  no manual, your site says no support for this sofware since 2007. 

Is there any way I can find either the manual or another software, preferrably free or at least not very expensive that you can recommend? I mean something from  this era, not ten year old software, which in computer years must be like two hundred...

Thanks a lot

It is true that GPS AR is not actively updated, but it is still a good program and to my knowledge there is nothing else around except very expensive options. I suggest you go to http://gpsactionreplay.free.fr/ and download the paid version which is much better. It comes with a 2 months free trial and has a manual.

If you just want to look at the traces you can unpload the kml files to google earth or to http://www.sailingrecord.com/