• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
dr_dave

Sir Robin Knox Johnson - brilliant

Brilliant story:

"I was out sailing with my grandchildren in the harbour here, they were all in lifejackets and I wasn’t wearing one, and the patrol came up and said, “You should be wearing a lifejacket. It’s the law.” And I said “No it isn’t. The reason I’m not wearing a lifejacket is that if one of them falls in, I want to be able to swim after them. A lifejacket would be a hindrance.” “Well our advice is that you should wear one.” And I said, “So what qualifications have you got?” He said, “I’ve got my Boatman’s Licence.” And I said, “Well I’ve got a class one Masters’ Certificate, and I don’t need advice from a ruddy boatman. So fuck off.” It was only because he was officious that he upset me."

Full story - https://www.avauntma...n-knox-johnston

Dr Dave

Funny story.

During one one of the Clipper pit stops we were up all the rigs fixing stuff. My green to sailing gal is hauling tools up the ramp in the cart. RKJ is doing an interview mid ramp blocking her way. She kindly asks him for room and he ignores her, so she asks again not so nice. Someone whispers in her ear explaining who he was. She says loudly 'I don't give a shit who he is, he is in my fucking way'.

Cameras zoom in and crowd gasps. He gracefully steps aside and helps her up the ramp.

She's a keeper.

Law makers rarely have experience in the fields in which they seek to govern the lives of others.

And I said, “Well I’ve got a class one Masters’ Certificate, and I don’t need advice from a ruddy boatman. So fuck off.” It was only because he was officious that he upset me."

A case of "don't you know who I am?". Arse.

another quote from RKJ I very much like:

at his last participation in a singlehanded rtw-race he was asked what with his age (which was somewhat advanced already..), & he answered:

"what a crazy concept to measure age in numbers!"

Yea, because out of the THOUSANDS of daily interactions across the United States of America, Law Enforcement always resorts to pulling a gun!

Fucking JACKASS, who's sock puppet are you oh "rejected" one? Your ongoing shtick is a pretty stupid one.

And I said, “Well I’ve got a class one Masters’ Certificate, and I don’t need advice from a ruddy boatman. So fuck off.” It was only because he was officious that he upset me."

A case of "don't you know who I am?". Arse.

The patrolman? ....he started it

Met Sir Robin in line at Heathrow airport a few years back. He was headed to give out an award in Newport RI. The award was in a box as tall as he was. We spoke in line for about 20 min as we queued to the desk. Upon getting there, he immediately asked to have the trophy considered "carry on" luggage. The argument that ensued was epic, especially when the British Airways folks wanted him to open the crate and show them the trophy. He was still arguing when I moved on to the boarding lounge.

However, 20 minutes before boarding, here comes RKJ with the trophy on a dolly being pulled by a British Airways staffer.

Sir Robin wins again!

That story doesn't reflect well on him. If it won't go in the overhead it's not carry-on - period.

Only an asshole would try to get a "person sized" package on as carry-on.

That story does sound like "Don't you know who I am".

Knights are supposed to have better manners than that.

That story doesn't reflect well on him. If it won't go in the overhead it's not carry-on - period.

Limited experience of business and first classes? Overhead bin - that's monkey class.

/J

Which trophy might that have been, JEB?

I met Sir Robin during the '86 TwoStar. I think he sailed a big catamaran BRITISH AIRWAYS that year. They have been sort of a perpetual sponsor for him so I imagine that he would get his way when dealing with them.

At the awards ceremony for the TwoStar in Newport, class winners were awarded a very nice Royal Copenhagen (ceramics manufacturer) vase with the 'Little Mermaid' bronze statue glazed onto one side. A very lovely and fitting trophy since Carlsberg was the sponsor that year. I got back to my tablemates from the podium and took it out of its box to show and fellow Class 5 competitor Pete Goss filled it with champagne and handed it back for my first toast. Pete was next to quaff and then his co-skipper (a big burly Royal Marine) drained it dry. It got refilled and emptied repeatedly until a little gray haired English lady who had witnessed the came over and chastised up for being such ruffians and not appreciating what a fine piece that lovely vase truly was. I sheepishly started to wrap it in the wrapping paper and fit it back to its equally nice case when RKJ himself come over and took the irate lady by the elbow and told her in very gracious terms just how exiting to have won is such an event and let us boys have their fun as it was our dues!

She was quite taken aback and stammered a bit while I took the vase and refilled it with bubbly and handed it to Sir Robin to join in and further make his point. He took it and shook my hand and then offered it to the little old lady who after a moment took her quaff. Sir Robin then did likewise and told me to leave the trophy with the lady for safekeeping before we went out on the town for further revelry. Seems she was a member of the Royal Western Yacht Club race committee and I'm sure that the vase would not have survived that night without her caretaking. I'm surprised that I survived the antics of Sgt Goss and his mate, those boys sure can party and drink!

540x360.jpg

gb~yrmar.gif

quote-if-you-are-going-to-do-something-d

I sailed in a 2 boat Clipper trip from Greenland to Iceland with Sir Robin (and Alex Thomson). One of the other crew wrote a poem about Sir Robin call "Knox Nutter":

My name is Knox Knutter,

My ship Ariel is a clipper cutter
A well build ship is she,
for I have tested her quiet a few times you see
Icebergs, there are many
And anchor, well they're ten a penny
Well I'm off on a new adventure,
To keep happy those with a debenture
So off to Greenland we did trek,
Only to be nearly wrecked
Inuit guides the crew did request,
But BLOODY HELL - I KNOW WHAT'S BEST!
I told Antiope to follow me,
But I've lost her now we're at sea
So I'm heading West,
Right there over that crest
So follow me if you dare,
For complete nutters are rare.

----

Sir Robin loved it! I've met him a couple of times since and no - he doesn't remember my name :)

Those of you slagging him off with the 'don't you know who I am' angle need to read the linked article.

He's clearly just got the shits with the over-reach of authority, safety audits, lawyers and the nanny state.

Good on him - fuckin legend.

I was fortunate to have dinner with Sir Robin in Shanghai many years ago. The opening few lines were "Pleasure to meet you Sir Robin" the response "Just Robin, please".

I will never forget that - in a blink he put me at ease.

That he suffers fools badly is a trait I have to say I share myself and as a) the first man to complete a non-stop solo circumnavigation AND with a set of charts, a watch, a sextant and a (for much of the trip).a non-functioning radio and B) to do it again when he should have been travelling using his bus pass grants him a little 'slack'.

Add to that, the fact that he founded and still is very involved with an organisation that has probably introduce more than any other to offshore sailing while being conscious of the need for safety to an almost paranoid degree I would say it goes without saying that he is aware of the benefits of a lifejackets or (at times) being without a lifejacket.

Yes, we all know, we should wear a lifejackets (in most circumstances) but as he so correctly pointed out, there is a time when they are a hindrance rather than a help (the exception that proves the rule).

We also don't know the entire circumstances but as we all know, give some people a badge and a cap and they rule the world (or at least their little part of it) and want everyone to understand that in, often, the most strident tones.

God the world needs characters, we don't have to always agree with them.

More power to you Sir Robin, sorry, Robin.

See ya on the water

SS

I bet he didn't say the "fuck off" bit in front of his grand kids. He's telling a story and it adds colour, which is his schtick.

Years ago, I did plenty of miles with him...

I tried channelling RKJ once...while driving I was pulled over by the police for failing to indicate at a left hand only turn and whereby the younger of two officers enquired why I hadn't indicated?

I said "It was no ones business but my own as to where I was bloody well travelling to".

He stammered a bit and then the older one stepped in saying I was free to go and cautioning against that approach as next time I would be fined.

The Stanley Cup counts as carry on, ever since it missed a checked luggage transfer.

Yea, because out of the THOUSANDS of daily interactions across the United States of America, Law Enforcement always resorts to pulling a gun!

Fucking JACKASS, who's sock puppet are you oh "rejected" one? Your ongoing shtick is a pretty stupid one.

Well Mr Hobot of 22,000 posts living in a Hollow in Washington State, I reject your observation as rather a sign of distemper at best. Calm down and take some more valium or whatever with your libation and try not to kill yourself with angst. RKJ can defend himself as a knight of the realm. He doesn't need a yobo such as yourself for help. Back to your cave little man. You are rejected.

He is a true legend, but unfortunately, insert here ......your own opinion if you have actually spent more than 5 minutes with RKJ...Yeah it only takes 5 minutes.

My view is he is a total legend without peer, probably never ever to be repeated again on planet earth..but unfortunately for some people they can't discard the pommy/english dickhead in them and which they were born with no matter their subsequent achievments.

It is called irony...the world is like that.

The Stanley Cup counts as carry on, ever since it missed a checked luggage transfer.

They buy it a seat.

If he fell overboard himself and was saved he would probably give his rescuers a fucking lecture too. Or, since this incident was in the UK, if he was half-drowned and went to hospital he would expect to be treated by the NHS at no cost to himself. Similarly the "carry on" incident on the aircraft with his ridiculous person-sized award that was only an inconvenience to others, not to his arrogant self. An obnoxious motherfucker whose only claim to fame is what he did nearly 50 years ago - and has been living off ever since.

Or, since this incident was in the UK

Was it? I've been sailing here for most of a lifetime and never experienced or heard of anyone experiencing an official telling anyone to wear a life jacket. Sounds more like the kind of thing that happens in the USA.

...whose only claim to fame is what he did nearly 50 years ago - and has been living off ever since.

Just google him dickhead - he's done more than you've bothered to notice.

...whose only claim to fame is what he did nearly 50 years ago - and has been living off ever since.

ding ding ding, we have a winner here.....

+1 (and I have a few hundred minutes of experience)

"A few hundred minutes" and "+1" is all you have to offer? Were you stalking him?

+1!