JoeBleaux

Proline Epoxy Bottom Paint

Anyone have a source for this stuff that can ship? I can't find it locally, or any online distributors. Maybe I'm searching the wrong name?

ProLine make Epoxy Barrier Coat and Bottom Paint, but I don't think that they make an Epoxy Bottom Paint. Try San Diego Marine Exchange. They have shipped it within California for me. Had to pay a bit for hazardous materials.

Also, try your local Sherwin Williams paint shop. They won't have it in stock, but may be able to order it for you.

Thanks Bob. Tried my Sherwin Williams shop first thing, no clue what I was talking about. I believe the part number is 3066, is this the barrier coat? I'll give San Diego Marine Exchange a call on Monday.

ProLine make Epoxy Barrier Coat and Bottom Paint, but I don't think that they make an Epoxy Bottom Paint. Try San Diego Marine Exchange. They have shipped it within California for me. Had to pay a bit for hazardous materials.

Also, try your local Sherwin Williams paint shop. They won't have it in stock, but may be able to order it for you.

Do you mean proline 1088 ? Not epoxy, but their racing bottom paint. Not compatible with anything else, so if you go down that road your stuck. Very hard, sand able and burnish able, but not easy to do either.

3066 is the Epoxy Barrier, 1088 is the Pottom Paint. 1088 is a hard vinyl paint, loaded with copper. I have this combination on my boat in SoCal. I had asked my diver what HE wanted, as HE keeps it CLEAN. I also asked if he wanted the graphite in it, he said "NO!" Three years in, and WE have no complaints. I would love a lighter color, but that's not going to happen with a cupperous oxide paint.

Why no on the graphite? Curious as I have Baltoplate and was going to go the 1088 w/graphite based on several recommendations..... from owners, not divers.

Gochta, I'm going with 3066, It's for a dry sailed J24.

3066 is the Epoxy Barrier, 1088 is the Pottom Paint. 1088 is a hard vinyl paint, loaded with copper. I have this combination on my boat in SoCal. I had asked my diver what HE wanted, as HE keeps it CLEAN. I also asked if he wanted the graphite in it, he said "NO!" Three years in, and WE have no complaints. I would love a lighter color, but that's not going to happen with a cupperous oxide paint.

Why no on the graphite? Curious as I have Baltoplate and was going to go the 1088 w/graphite based on several recommendations..... from owners, not divers.

Solo, my diver said it's easier for him to smooth out with a Scotchbrite pad. We didn't wetsand or burnish. He's as gentle as he can be. We've gotten 3+ years out of it. No complaints about speed. Probably going to haul and paint later this spring. It should only take a light pressure wash, then paint.

Joe, 3066 is great for drysailed boats. Spray on fairly heavy. Wetsand 400, 600, 1000, then polish. It does get a little yellow with age. Just wetsand it out and polish again! I did one boat that you could see your reflection clearly!

No comment ;-)

Just got it ordered... San Diego Marine couldn't ship it to me because of hazmat issues; but they did give me the phone number for Manny at Proline. Ships same day, if anyone needs the phone number to order it shoot me a PM.

Solo, my diver said it's easier for him to smooth out with a Scotchbrite pad. We didn't wetsand or burnish. He's as gentle as he can be. We've gotten 3+ years out of it. No complaints about speed. Probably going to haul and paint later this spring. It should only take a light pressure wash, then paint.

Joe, 3066 is great for drysailed boats. Spray on fairly heavy. Wetsand 400, 600, 1000, then polish. It does get a little yellow with age. Just wetsand it out and polish again! I did one boat that you could see your reflection clearly!

Proline used to provide paint for the Navy ships in San Diego. I don't know if they still do but since it must mean millions in operating costs for the fleet I figure that's good enough for me. I've used 1088 for many years and I can get about two years on a bottom job in our local waters. I've heard it can't go on over some other hard paints but I don't know which ones. Check with your yard manager or, for the real scoop, call Wayne Morrison who runs Shelter Island Boat Yard, (619) 222-0481. He's only got about a hundred years with the product.

Just an update guys... I talked to Wayne at shelter Island. As of Aug 2018 he can no longer buy Proline 1088. No longer allowed in CA

Really too bad. I just hauled at SIBY  but it was a moot issue and the previous owner had used an epoxy type which the 1088 wouldn't bond with. FWIW, really happy with the service there. 

I finished the bottom a while ago. If I remember correctly I spoke with A guy named Manny at proline. He shipped directly to New Orleans. If you want I can try to dig his email address up. 

Proline Paint 
2640 Main St
San Diego, CA 92113

(619) 231-2313

I don't purchase directly.  I go to San Diego Marine and they ship.

Better double check in your area. I think I heard something about Proline not being allowed in California after the first of the year. Or maybe that was just in San Diego. 

17 hours ago, kinardly said:

Better double check in your area. I think I heard something about Proline not being allowed in California after the first of the year. Or maybe that was just in San Diego. 

Beginning July 1, 2018, California's new regulations limiting anti fouling paint biocide leach rates went into effect and Proline 1088 exceeds them. That said, boatyards have two years to sell any leftover inventory. 

Just got some of the last local on hand stock of 1088 for my next refresh.

does proline still make an epoxy top coat.

heard it was similar to durepox.  

this is for a trailer sailor bottom job.

1 hour ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

does proline still make an epoxy top coat.

heard it was similar to durepox.  

this is for a trailer sailor bottom job.

I believe it’s still available, 3066 for white, 3062 for grey.  Both turn a bit yellow with u/v exposure. Can be sanded and buffed out, if you have enough material on.