• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Gladiator is heading to the west coast  Soon from Rhode Island .my question is how can all these boat be deemed to be one design now.

bad pak and the hand higher freeboard for inshore 

FOX  Inshore and the rule built around her ? 

RIO inshore 

Beau Geste IRC BOAT 

gladiator IRC 

3 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Box rule is not One Design.

Let's repeat this over and over... Box rule is not one design....

They race level.  They are not one design.

Looks like PHAEDO 3 is part of karl  stable its heading to N.Z. could he coming to OZ to to try for the sydney -hobart record

7 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

Holy smokes.   BG cleaning up at BBS!

They are murdering everyone. No surprise really they always dominate TP52 racing in IRC events too. Makes you wonder why they don't enter the TP52 Super Series? Given their TP52 experience jumping on the PAC52 would have been a natural progression. Gavin Brady runs a serious campaign for Karl Kwok. 

17 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Surprised that Beau Geste could race an IRC boat against the PAC52's which are more aimed at Blue Water sailing? 

Huh? BG and Fox are sisters.  Rio is designed more as an inshore boat.  Bad Pak and IH are designed with offshore racing in mind.

6 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

Huh? BG and Fox are sisters.  Rio is designed more as an inshore boat.  Bad Pak and IH are designed with offshore racing in mind.

Yes aware of that . Perhaps my misconception? I thought PAC52's were all offshore designed 52's compared to the inshore TP52's? Therefore I thought it was interesting to see them all racing inshore together. And the results ended up obviously in favour of the inshore designs.

Inshore/offshore focus has more to do with the way control lines and halyards are lead (above/below deck), and of course some of the interior fit-out. 

BG is sailing an IRC52, So similar hull, but not constraint to engine (lighter options are available) or rig rules (longer, lighter) are basic differences versus Transpac52. And in the 52superseries the class no longer allows IRC52s to compete as the boats (even if rating is very similar) are generally too different.

Looking at Sorcha: it is no longer a TP52 but is grand-fathered: rod rigging and marginally deeper fin to offset extra rig weight. Boat is still very fast however not sailing a 52 for 8-10 weeks a year as a crew makes a huge difference in this fleet.

On 9/20/2017 at 7:13 PM, terrafirma said:

Yes aware of that . Perhaps my misconception? I thought PAC52's were all offshore designed 52's compared to the inshore TP52's? Therefore I thought it was interesting to see them all racing inshore together. And the results ended up obviously in favour of the inshore designs.

That's one of the many interesting things about pac52's...there is some freedom.  IH and BP habe higher freeboard as well.  But both have won w/l inshore races.