Crash

Twilight Race boat capsizes and hits King Harbor Pier

Recommended Posts

 

In as far as I understand it, and in all the yacht insurance policies I've ever had, negligence doesn't matter towards a claim - they may decline to reinsure you afterwards if it was particularly negligent, button of the things that our insurance agents have always emphasized is that one of the major differences between marine insurance and most other types is that marine insurance also insures against negligence - I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but can't remember what it is.

A boat policy - at least in California - has several types of coverages - usually.

 

1. Property Damage - (damage to the insured vessel). Typically, this covers any damage to the boat subject to exclusions. If there is damage to the boat, there is coverage. No showing of negligence is required for coverage. However, the exclusions include, among other things, normal wear, tear, and age as well as defects in the vessel's materials and construction. Usually, if you say the damage resulted because "I f'ed up", there is coverage because you buy insurance in case you f' up. On the other hand, if you tell the insurance company that your mast came down and you say it wasn't your fault, then there may be no coverage because the insurance company will probably conclude that an exclusion based on normal wear and tear applies or there was a defect in the materials which the insurance does not cover.

 

2. Medical Payment Coverage - Covers medical expenses and no negligence is required. If a person steps on your boat and then does a face plant into the cockpit, there is coverage for their medical expenses. (This is an interesting coverage most people are not aware - and may not be as significant as most people have their own medical insurance policies.)

 

3. Liability Coverage - This is where fault or negligence comes in. If a person steps on your boat and does a face plant into the cockpit because of the boat owner's negligence, there is insurance coverage not only for medical expenses, but lost wages and pain and suffering.

 

If any of the above comes as a surprise, you should have a talk with your insurance broker and have them go over your coverage.

What he said.

 

If you unintentionally fuck up (drift into a pier with the main down, turn the wheel the wrong way on ice, run a red light while texting and driving, build a house that leaks, hire a crackhead bus driver, perform surgery and remove the wrong kidney, etc etc etc), that is negligence and that is what your liability insurance covers. That's what it's for. In fact it cannot cover most other things you get sued for that aren't negligence (breaching a contract, intentionally punching your kids soccer coach, running off with the petty cash, etc.)

Accidentally fucking up, even a little bit, is called negligence. I may pop off about shit I know nothing about on occasion but this one I'm pretty sure about. It's how I've been making car payments and paying for things like groceries and new spray tops for 20 years.

 

Back to your regular programming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another startling display of ineptitude. Good on the rescuers, gnarly job well done.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who was the swimmer , crew or rescue boat ?

top effort

 

...........................................

 
Great video.Thanks for sharing. The rescue was actually done by Redondo Beach Fire Department, rescue swimmer who dove in off their Harbor Patrol Boat. The Lifeguads assisted by towing the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=283&v=euARI7PkOiA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, one of the dive shop owners I used to work with sent this last video to me- that is one tough boat. Can't believe it was still floating and the rig still standing. 

57 minutes ago, silent bob said:

King Harbor tries to kill another:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, silent bob said:

King Harbor tries to kill another:

 

 

oops. beautiful sunset, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, silent bob said:

King Harbor tries to kill another:

 

 

Jesus!  Ignoring how the heck they got there top marks to the builder and rescuers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better check the keelbolts before heading for Hawaii after that little grounding! Tough boat and hats off to S2 if that is what it is. I would expect the far side of the hull to be torn wide open but the boat looks to be floating fine after it finally slithers down off the jetty. Did the swimmer ever get a line to the bow? Looks like a wave washed it off the rocks after it got turned just the right way. I managed to get a CSY 44 off the rocks in worse conditions by having a buddy in a RIB dash in right under the bow and I lowered an anchor to him which he took out as to the bitter end of the rode and then I winched it in tight to keep from going further up on the rocks. Then he zipped back in and I lowered the second anchor to him which he set off at a good angle as a kedge and when I winched it in that spun the bow in much the same manner you see here and after a couple more waves raked the boat from bow to stern it sort of slithered down from the rocks into the small cove in which it was embayed. We kedged the anchors out a couple more times and I was able to winch up to them and reset and got out of the cove and surfline. However there was a large rock rash hole punched in the hull right where the massive icebox was and there was no way to shore up to stop the inflow of water. It just spread out behind the foam in place insulation and water was coming out from behind the cabinetry on that side all over the place. My buddy was screaming at me from the RIB to abandon the boat and I literally have to step up into the RIB (liferaft). I could feel every crash against those rocks just watching this video. I'll have flashbacks tonight...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how the hell do people get in situations like that? is this a charter boat?

good breeze, sails up. large protective breakwater to weather: "hey, lets go jam ourselves in between the surf crashing on that rock jetty and the shorebreak"

don't know how much the repairs will cost or what the value of the boat might have been but when the cost of the repairs exceeds the value of the boat after the repair the boat is a total loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The moment the rescue showed up, I'd have been in the water and swimming away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Swimmer did not get to sailboat. Boat managed to sail itself off the jetty on top of a swell.Can't see if that was luck or the two(?) crew actually helped it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, longy said:

  Swimmer did not get to sailboat. Boat managed to sail itself off the jetty on top of a swell.Can't see if that was luck or the two(?) crew actually helped it.

As I initially thought. More then one in water, or floats...off to right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot see any way swimmer could have gotten on boat anyway, waves were too close together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Better check the keelbolts before heading for Hawaii after that little grounding! Tough boat and hats off to S2 if that is what it is. I would expect the far side of the hull to be torn wide open but the boat looks to be floating fine after it finally slithers down off the jetty. Did the swimmer ever get a line to the bow? Looks like a wave washed it off the rocks after it got turned just the right way. I managed to get a CSY 44 off the rocks in worse conditions by having a buddy in a RIB dash in right under the bow and I lowered an anchor to him which he took out as to the bitter end of the rode and then I winched it in tight to keep from going further up on the rocks. Then he zipped back in and I lowered the second anchor to him which he set off at a good angle as a kedge and when I winched it in that spun the bow in much the same manner you see here and after a couple more waves raked the boat from bow to stern it sort of slithered down from the rocks into the small cove in which it was embayed. We kedged the anchors out a couple more times and I was able to winch up to them and reset and got out of the cove and surfline. However there was a large rock rash hole punched in the hull right where the massive icebox was and there was no way to shore up to stop the inflow of water. It just spread out behind the foam in place insulation and water was coming out from behind the cabinetry on that side all over the place. My buddy was screaming at me from the RIB to abandon the boat and I literally have to step up into the RIB (liferaft). I could feel every crash against those rocks just watching this video. I'll have flashbacks tonight...

I would have expected much more visible damage after seeing the video.  Rudder shaft  bent nearly 90 degrees, and some good scuffs.  No idea what may have happened internally. 

05195647-9A0D-4155-B589-6CC23CAD1C43.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2017 at 9:45 PM, relm1 said:

Were they in the sailing race? If so, that presumes a higher level of experience than what it seemed in the video

Nope.  Meaning your presumption, I've no idea if they were racing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the passing of part of the seas between boat and rocks provide enough of a pressure/cushion to keep stbd side of hull from destruction?  I'm surprised she didn't sink on the spot.

How many times, as you watched this, did you find yourself saying, "back the damn jib!!  starboard sheet!!" during the several times when bow was to port of dead-upwind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, longy said:

  Swimmer did not get to sailboat. Boat managed to sail itself off the jetty on top of a swell.Can't see if that was luck or the two(?) crew actually helped it.

 

3 hours ago, BobBill said:

As I initially thought. More then one in water, or floats...off to right.

 

1 hour ago, longy said:

I cannot see any way swimmer could have gotten on boat anyway, waves were too close together.

 

 

17 hours ago, Mid said:
 
Great video.Thanks for sharing. The rescue was actually done by Redondo Beach Fire Department, rescue swimmer who dove in off their Harbor Patrol Boat. The Lifeguads assisted by towing the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=283&v=euARI7PkOiA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it HAD an outboard....

I though I saw one whipping around off the stern during the surf dancing.

With the rudder bent like that getting off had to be absolute chance.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

absolutely amazed that boat didnt sink as soon as it was off the rocks. Thats some M. Night Shyamalan twist right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mid said:

 

They did tow, but after boat freed itself. If you watch closely, just after she sails free you can see the first swimmer behind the boat. Tow was put on boat by 2nd lifegaurd boat, which backed swim step up to bow of sailboat.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

absolutely amazed that boat didnt sink as soon as it was off the rocks. Thats some M. Night Shyamalan twist right there.

I see dead people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

f-ing UNBELIEVABLE quality of the boat! unreal! would have thought stbd side to be 1/2 gone - but no hole!!!!!

our former (I consider very well built) aluminium boat would have looked like an old coke-tin the kids had been kicking around on these stones

I wonder: if it had had a skeg - would that have broken off? I guess so; better to have the spaderudder gone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

absolutely amazed that boat didnt sink as soon as it was off the rocks. Thats some M. Night Shyamalan twist right there.

S2 hulls (that one looks like the 8.5 28 footer...) the keel is integral to the hull which is hand laid glass mat, 3/4" thick way more on keel and hull transition. They are known to be very solid. Video is quite a testament to the strength of the hulls Slikkers built. Amazing the rudder post bent and didn't break. 

They probably came in from an angle ("red") with the wind and waves on the beam they were no doubt overpowered and lost leeway in the rip current as the waves rolled them. Given the wind force, the leeway that S2 would have, I would have reduced sail and made a more down wind perpendicular approach ("green") motorsailing and shot for getting to the lee of the outer break wall as quickly as possible....

oh, I own a 81' S2 9.2a...just bought new sails for it...so as gruesome this video is it makes me feel good to know that my boat is built the same way.

Screenshot from 2018-01-23 09-17-17.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, much better to stay as far to the left as possible in that inlet! one of those swells can move you 50 ft to the right, a couple more and youre on the rocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason to appreciate my S2 (7.9) 

Wish they were till being built 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mcsailor0303 said:

70 lb pit bull mix onboard as well!?

Well, it is the closest Harbor to the Inbred Empire.  Oh, I meant Inland Empire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES That WILL buff out. That boats tough as hell. Unbelievable LUCK that the crew managed to hang on, let alone get her off the rocks afloat. 

 

1B722366-6525-4079-9AD2-7A9F7806FEFD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 8:03 AM, AJ Oliver said:

Another reason to appreciate my S2 (7.9) 

Wish they were till being built 

 

S2 cruising line has non-cored (solid glass) hulls.  S2 racing line like your 7.9 have cored hulls.  Not sure a cored hull would have withstood that, even if it was built as well as S2 built their cored hulls...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Crash said:

S2 cruising line has non-cored (solid glass) hulls.  S2 racing line like your 7.9 have cored hulls.  Not sure a cored hull would have withstood that, even if it was built as well as S2 built their cored hulls...

I sorta follow the idea to "buy old!" Not always, but if it fits. God I still use the same Sears hoses and snow shovel I bought in 1967, and have one hand-made from 1916...Very good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn’t advocating buy only solid glass hulled boats...my last boat was a cored hull S2 9.1. 

 

I was only suggesting that even as well built as they are, I doubt an S2 built cored hull would have survived that encounter without being much more seriously damaged.  Better to stay off the rocks to begin with I think ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crash said:

S2 cruising line has non-cored (solid glass) hulls.  S2 racing line like your 7.9 have cored hulls.  Not sure a cored hull would have withstood that, even if it was built as well as S2 built their cored hulls...

You are likely correct - thanks for pointing that out. I knew the racers had cored hulls, but not that the non-racers did not. Am I being lucid? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobBill said:

I sorta follow the idea to "buy old!" Not always, but if it fits. God I still use the same Sears hoses and snow shovel I bought in 1967, and have one hand-made from 1916...Very good! 

I'm using the same axe from 40 years ago, though it's on it's third handle and second head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can see the wind is coming from the north. when coming in you need to round up as close as you can below the outer breakwater. Harden up and you might make it halfway up the channel before you have to throw in a tack, then tack back to make it all the way up and into the slips. North is a unusual wind but not a big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NW, but yeah exactly, this was a beam reach back from the RW Bell buoy to the harbor entrance; not very complicated..

i'm guessing they had a combined equipment and handling fuckup that stopped them from hardening up or tacking away from an object close aboard, similar to the guys who got eaten by the pier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now