Sign in to follow this  
robjwilkinson

Hobie cat 16 Trampoline options...

Hi there, been a while since I posted on this part of the site. Hobie Cat 16, been a while since she last sailed, tramp is getting a bit tired out. I got some really strong fishing type net (really small mesh size, strands are easily para cord thickness) was wondering on a neat and tidy solution to using this. Any ideas? I cant quite justify £500 sterling for a proper one. No, I don't race..tis the only Hobie cat in my part of the world.

Was wondering if I can utilise the bolt rope areas on the frames...though might just lace over these parts?

Cheers

Rob

Contact Steve Murray @ murrays sports.com. He has forgotten more about H16 than we will Know.

If you can get it tight enough i don't see any problems. The tramp does alot to stop the frame/hulls moving about. Seeing as the frame is basically made from mast section you may be able to use a heap of sail slugs to tie it to the frame as well.

you'll need to use slugs on the front and back beams if nowhere else (otherwise lacing will effect tracks). So you might as well use them throughout to make a tidy job of it.

Having said that you're looking at about 150 slugs which will add up quickly.

http://www.forward-sailing.com/en/147-trampoline-hobie-16.html

http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/hobie-16-3/

Wondering if slugs can be made? hmm, I got some S/S tubing that might just be small enough to slide inside the tracks.

Would love the proper tramp, but its going to be pricey enough to replace the standing rigging and trap wires. Shes an old boat and been stored outside all these years so would be a good idea to get the wires changed.

If it is just stitching let go and eyelets stretched out then you can just sew in some webbing like seatbelt material and double the number of eyelets. I did this with my 35 year old tramp and expect another 35 years out of it.

Mabey.

Small D shackles or little pad eyes can also be used instead of slugs. They will slide into the track. Failing that sew your mesh to your old tramp bolt rope.

And just how soft are the hulls?

Hulls are good, as far as I know. Which parts should I Be looking at? she was built in 91 and hardly ever been used. Previous owner kept crashing the thing along with inexperienced crew. I bought it all for £1200 sterling

I might just go with the stitch the net onto the tramp thing for now....the newer mesh type tramps look to be pretty well made.

The most common place for delamination is just in front of the forward pylons on the top of each hull. If it is bad it will also be o the sides of the hulls in front of th we forward pylons. You can tell by pushing on the fibreglass and if there is any deflection you have delamination. The fix is to injecr epoxy into the core of the hulls. Check the internet for guides on how to do this.

What can happen if not repaired is your hulls can break in two in front of the pylon. Check the internet for examples of this also.

The repair is not too difficult.

Google Hobie 16 trampoline and there are non class legal ones available typically in the US with the first one up at $199 USD. Don't waste your time trying to cobble something together as it will cost more and be a pita.

Hulls are in very good condition, have poked and prodded the areas mentioned and they are sound.

Question, I am not happy paying 400+ pounds sterling for a Trampoline...any UK based places that make such a thing for the Hobie?

Rudder uplock/downlock cams at 40 odd pounds EACH!!! screw me sideways...one bit of plastic costs that?

Hulls are in very good condition, have poked and prodded the areas mentioned and they are sound.

Question, I am not happy paying 400+ pounds sterling for a Trampoline...any UK based places that make such a thing for the Hobie?

Rudder uplock/downlock cams at 40 odd pounds EACH!!! screw me sideways...one bit of plastic costs that?

That seems a lot.

From memory I purchased 2 x springs, cams, locking nut and screw pin for the Hobie 18 mid 2016.. All up was A$70

If you are not racing and have the mesh already, then get a commercial sewer to sew some 600gm PVC and rope to suit the rope tracks. Punch some SP4 eyelets in and booyaa, you're sailing a surprisingly good bang-for-buck beachie.

Sailrite has some better tramp material lately. But the tramp is so integral to the structure and stiffness of the Hobie, that were it my choice, I'd spring for the one of the proper welded tramps. They last forever and you can lash them real tight to stiffen the boat.