Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StephenMaturin

Passport 40, Westsail 39

Has anyone sailed on either of these? How close can they point? The Westsail 39/Fair Weather Mariner 39 purportedly can pinch up to 30deg apparent according to a review... sounds waaaayyyy better than I'd expect. I think they share a similar underbody (plus or minus a foot of length).

Thanks in advance.

I have sailed on both of those boats.

I actually know something about them.

I designed both of them.

30 degrees is pretty tight, unless you are feathering the boat up in a gust, but to live there, nah. Lots better VMG to weather by pressing the bow down and let the foils work.

Gee Bob, that is almost a naval architect haiku...

Bird:

I never figured that Haiku stuff out. I just worked hard at figuring out English.

30 degs AWA for either of those boats is optimistic. Better look at VMG's.

" Hey look, I'm pointing 29 degs AWA!"

"Yes but you VMG is 3.2 knots."

Except for the coachroof, the Westsail/FWM has always looked like a 14/15th scale Passport 40 to me. Granted, the chronology is the reverse of that but I'd love to hear Bob's thoughts on the relative merits of the designs, and their construction. Both are on the list of Boats I Want to Retire On.

GBERON:
That's exactly why I offer professional consultation as described on my web site at: We could explore the two designs in depth.

www.perryboat.com

Those two hulls have very little in common. Rigs are similar.

Bob, I plan to take advantage of your services when I get closer to buying. Right now I'm still looking at designs and trying to decide what size my next boat will be. Kicking the fenders, so to speak.

GB:
Both are good sailing boats with strong builds Lots of variations in the interior layouts of both boats. Might just come down t finding the right one of either for you..

I always enjoy these threads, where someone asks about a particular boat/design...a chance to expand my knowledge. I never knew anything about them, and had assumed that at Westsail 39 was simply a larger version of a W32. Appears not at all to be the case (after looking at sailboatdata.com).

Very reasonable price for this Westsail 39, relatively new too...nice looking boat. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/Westsail-39-Custom-3073610/San-Diego/CA/United-States#.WOQmLYZfPYV

But one simple question - where's the saloon table? Am viewing the listing on my phone and not all the pics will load, but one interior pic shows no table...

I always enjoy these threads, where someone asks about a particular boat/design...a chance to expand my knowledge. I never knew anything about them, and had assumed that at Westsail 39 was simply a larger version of a W32. Appears not at all to be the case (after looking at sailboatdata.com).

Very reasonable price for this Westsail 39, relatively new too...nice looking boat. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/Westsail-39-Custom-3073610/San-Diego/CA/United-States#.WOQmLYZfPYV

But one simple question - where's the saloon table? Am viewing the listing on my phone and not all the pics will load, but one interior pic shows no table...

There ain't no table there. No sign of one anywhere, nothing on the floor or bulkhead to mount to. Maybe it's like my neighbour's Hunter 34 and they use a card table.

I'm not sure how a 1998 Westsail 39 could be possible. I've heard there were some owner-completed hulls, but the hull number would still show an earlier date even if it took almost 20 years to finish. If that is indeed the case, it might explain the lack of a table.

I took a closer look and the cabin sole does appear to have a mounting point for a table. That boat also has the nicest wooden binnacle I've ever seen. The wheel looks like it came from an Ocean Alexander motor yacht.

post-122407-0-45887700-1491430548_thumb.jpg

GB:

I'd say that shows some careful work. If the rest of the boat is like that it might be the one.

Yes, there were a handful of owner completed boats. Not many though. Maybe three.

I took a closer look and the cabin sole does appear to have a mounting point for a table. That boat also has the nicest wooden binnacle I've ever seen. The wheel looks like it came from an Ocean Alexander motor yacht.

I often hear people with the confused idea that the Westsail 39 had some resemblance of the 32 or 42/43. I can vouch that there is hardly any difference other than the name Westsail. Otherwise, completely different boats. Bob did well upgrading the cruising boat with modern features. If I didn't already have a 32 I would likely have a 39 and owe a hundy-G to the bank.

That binnacle is worthy of a Wally. Curving, tapering - gorgeous

Where do you see the table hardware? I see is a couple pulls for bilge access but that's about it.

I like the name.

Too bad it's got in-mast furling.

I made what I thought was a solid offer on one in the SF bay area a few years ago. Didn't get it, seller held out for a couple grand more and I was too slow with a second offer.

Here you go!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Fair-Weather-Mariner-39-3019550/Superior/WI/United-States#.WOY5uYWcFjo

Is there anything designed with stowing a dinghy on deck anymore? Phuk davits!

If I had enough money to own that big yacht I would immediately have those hatches switched for flush models.

Not sure I'd call my boat that, but I think the biggest crime went to whoever set up the chessboard:

5435677_20151102141253209_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Where do you see the table hardware? I see is a couple pulls for bilge access but that's about it.

I like the name.

I made what I thought was a solid offer on one in the SF bay area a few years ago. Didn't get it, seller held out for a couple grand more and I was too slow with a second offer.

Here you go!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Fair-Weather-Mariner-39-3019550/Superior/WI/United-States#.WOY5uYWcFjo

This one has a table, but I don't see a captain's hat!

That binnacle is worthy of a Wally. Curving, tapering - gorgeous

It seems they forgot the compass. WTF?

When you got GPS and all those other square instruments you don't need no stinkin' compass.

Yea, because the electrical system will always be there working!

Along with the hydraulic sail controls for one person sailing.

I'll resurrect this thread as I'm going to look at a Saga 35 Monday followed by another Fairweather Mariner 39 in a week or so.  I'm a fan of your designs, Bob Perry.  Almost bought a Passport 40 previously.  I also dream of the Nordic/Norstar 40, but haven't come across any in my price range.

I'm lusting after the Saga, but not the price tag.  Our last boat was a C&C 34/36+ and I was very pleasantly surprised to find a newer construction build with good performance characteristics... designed by someone who's work I do admire.  The FWM is 50k cheaper, which will probably just about pay for the eventual repower of the 1988 Perkins currently in there.

Also, for what its worth,  I did call the listing broker of the boat linked above and was told that the seller was a retired aerospace engineer who took his time putting together a very nice FWM 39 from a kit.  I was scared off by the one-off-ness of it, but I see that that boat has now sold. 

I like the head room in the FWM 39 better than the P40. There was a dealer in San Pedro Ca in the 80s that had a new one when I was working out of 22nd Street Landing.

Big differences between the FWM and the Saga 35.

Saga 35 is a little hot rod and a lot of fun to sail. I imagine I would enjoy owning that boat a lot.

FWM is a solid lam, heavily built tank ofa boat capable of sailing comfortably offshore.If you were not considering offshore passages I'd stay with the Saga 35. It would be a lot more fun to day sail or race occasionally. Of course, you could do offshore work with it but tanklage is a bit scant for long passages. You'd be more comfy on the FWM.

I suspect that owner finished FWM is really the early Westsail build. Not sure Walt ever sold FWM's as "kits". I don't recall it.

Walt the importer was a very honest guy. He was always excited when he called me to tell me another royalty check was in the mail. He tried hard to build a very good boat.

Thanks for the kind words.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:35 AM, DFL1010 said:

Not sure I'd call my boat that, but I think the biggest crime went to whoever set up the chessboard:

5435677_20151102141253209_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

You're right about the kit being a Westsail 39 rather than a FWM 39.

We went to see the Saga 35.  She is a little hot rod for sure!  Unfortunately, I don't think our two growing boys will fit in there once we've got them out of diapers.  What a nicely put together boat though.  A perfect single-hander.

We checked out a Wauquiez 42 while we were up on lake union.  A very pretty behemoth.  Huge and solid.

Maybe the FWM 39 will be just right for this goldilocks family. 

21 minutes ago, StephenMaturin said:

We checked out a Wauquiez 42 while we were up on lake union.  A very pretty behemoth.  Huge and solid.

The Wauquiez 42 was a very seaworthy and well built boat. It's a bit heavy and the genoa a bit big but still manageable.

On 06/04/2017 at 5:49 AM, bmiller said:

I like the name.

Here you go!

Wow, that thing is gorgeous.