• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esoxproblem

J/33 Backstay

8 posts in this topic

In full disclosure, we bought this boat in October, and I havn't even sailed it yet.

I keep thinking about the backstay and that little hand pump for it wayyyyy back behind everything.

I am used to sailing smaller boats and being able to drive and adjust backstay any and all the time.

Obviously, you can't do that on the 33.

Has anyone ever replaced a hydraulic backstay on a boat this size for a mechanical cascade system run to the driver?

Maybe the spar is to stiff and you need the hydraulic...

Maybe that is why the checks are so important..

Do keep more tension on the backstay than you would on a smaller boat and then use the checks to put more power back in to the main??

Thanks

Talk to some class guys for how much headstay tension you need. There should be a tuning guide available either from the class or from Jboats. I doubt you'll get enough tension with a cascade. Checks will indeed pull shape back into main, they will also limit bend - depending on how flexible the rig is - to transfer the force to the headstay. As to being able to adjust from the helm, if you're driving (I'm assuming you're racing?), you have no business doing anything but driving. Your main trimmer should be doing that in conjunction with your headsail trimmer to balance the helm and change gears. If it's awkward for the main trimmer to reach, maybe tactician or your honey can sit back there and do it while she rubs your neck and holds your beer! Enjoy your new toy. Leroi

I couldn't see any advantage switching over to a multiple part purchase system. Going from a integral unit to a panel with a pump would be preferred IMHO. The power and ease of repeatable settings goes way beyond appeasing any small boat inclinations that you might be having. Save that for simplifying deck layout and sailhandling. I think youll quickly find that the backstay is the throttle as you gain familiarity with the boat, sail combinations and settings. I also wouldn't discount using the checkstays. I assume the boat is set up with a bunny retractor system ala J/35? If not, do it.

I couldn't see any advantage switching over to a multiple part purchase system. Going from a integral unit to a panel with a pump would be preferred IMHO. The power and ease of repeatable settings goes way beyond appeasing any small boat inclinations that you might be having. Save that for simplifying deck layout and sailhandling. I think youll quickly find that the backstay is the throttle as you gain familiarity with the boat, sail combinations and settings. I also wouldn't discount using the checkstays. I assume the boat is set up with a bunny retractor system ala J/35? If not, do it.

I sail a displacement 26' with masthead rig, with a cascade 24:1 backstay. It takes me everything I have to get the final bit of rig on in a breeze. Keep the hydraulic unit. Panel and pump if you can do it, integral works fine too.

the checkstays are an important element in trimming the main. they bend the middle third of the mast back towards the stern. This changes the shape of the main considerably. Play with them til you see how the main was cut for the boat.

never seen a J33 with a hydraulic backstay? 35 yes but most 33's i have seen are cascade.

Also most 30'-33' boats i have sailed on (105 the exception) have had cascades not hydraulics.

Second or third the checkstays being the primary adjuster on the J-35. Not enough time on a 33, but as they are pretty much the same boat I suspect the same rules apply

never seen a J33 with a hydraulic backstay? 35 yes but most 33's i have seen are cascade.

Also most 30'-33' boats i have sailed on (105 the exception) have had cascades not hydraulics.

Second or third the checkstays being the primary adjuster on the J-35. Not enough time on a 33, but as they are pretty much the same boat I suspect the same rules apply

Are you talking J/33's for sure? They came from J boats brand spanking new with a hydraulic backstay standard....... Don't confuse the issue with misinformation. As for most 30-33' boats having a block and tackle adjustmen. That's a very open ednded statment. Are we talking masthead or fractional? Cruiser or racer? Tree trunk or multiple spreader bendy rig? Lots of variables.

We will be racing a pair of J 35's + others mixed phrf raceers. Can the 33 point equally high as the 35 w/out pinching??

We are going to be slow boat in class at 84.

Being slow boat and not matching point is generally bad..

We have a good main and a good #1, but so do they :(