Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INTER 20

Windy Tower Race Santa Barbara 4/8/17

I love those boats. No drama, not a lot of work, just go like f%ck!

I love those boats. No drama, not a lot of work, just go like f%ck!

Says a SC37 man!

Great vid, great boats.

Apologies for the obnoxious throw back...

I think I'll share your video with my crew.

Maybe we should have the SB-KH Race in April!

Second that.

Instead of the enchilada derby.

Course was out to Platform Habitat to Platform Hogan and back. Max. wind 31 knots.

next time you need rail meat hit me up ! that looks so fun !

Course was out to Platform Habitat to Platform Hogan and back. Max. wind 31 knots.

Can we get a 6th J/125 to enter transpac??

I think we still need to get a 5th entered. then 6, 7,

Two years and we're there...maybe ;)

There was dock talk of one more J125 signing up, getting a little late now but you never know. Would be nice to have our own class for Transpac.

How many J125 will we get for for the SoCal 300?

There was dock talk of one more J125 signing up, getting a little late now but you never know. Would be nice to have our own class for Transpac.

How many J125 will we get for for the SoCal 300?

For 2017 Warrior will probably stay closer to home. SB to KH will the furthest we'll be going. Next year might be a different story.

I heard on the docks that a new J-111 lost its rudder in this race. Rock and Roll was dnf. Anyone know what happened?

I heard on the docks that a new J-111 lost its rudder in this race. Rock and Roll was dnf. Anyone know what happened?

It is new to Santa Barbara but an early J-111. The rudder post broke just above the stainless steel collar and below the quadrant. Eventually the rudder worked it's way out and was found floating a day later. All on board were safe.

they were lucky it happened in the open ocean instead of on a lee shore.

It is new to Santa Barbara but an early J-111. The rudder post broke just above the stainless steel collar and below the quadrant. Eventually the rudder worked it's way out and was found floating a day later. All on board were safe.

rudder post made out of.....?

I believe it was carbon with foam core.

Looked at this J-111 keel in the boat yard. To me it appears that the tall skinny keel lacks sufficient area for lateral resistance moving part of that load to the rudder. could that be an issue in the failure?

I believe it was carbon with foam core.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why would a rudder post ever have a foam core??!!

Rudder post failure is a common issue with offshore raced J/111's from the early batch. Hull #1 "Django" nee. "Stella" lost their rudder and sank in New Zealand a couple years back. "Blast" hull #? lost their rudder and limped to shore in the windy 2011 Halifax Race

Call Bennett G from Perseverance, he might have a spare Rudder hanging around.

:P

Do you think it's class legal?

Call Bennett G from Perseverance, he might have a spare Rudder hanging around.

:P

Do you think it's class legal?

Does that matter ?!

;)

I am not a naval architect, just an insurance underwriter but I think building a stronger rudder post is not the final answer. From where I sit it looks like that skinny keel is placing tremendous forces on the rudder which is providing lateral resistance on a high wind reach. I went to the J-111 web site and they have about 2 dozen pictures of the boat, none showing anything below the water line. I know these boats are fast but insurance underwriters get off on safe.

I don't know what happened but Rock and Roll is in the yard. Maybe a coincidence.

I am not a naval architect, just an insurance underwriter but I think building a stronger rudder post is not the final answer. From where I sit it looks like that skinny keel is placing tremendous forces on the rudder which is providing lateral resistance on a high wind reach. I went to the J-111 web site and they have about 2 dozen pictures of the boat, none showing anything below the water line. I know these boats are fast but insurance underwriters get off on safe.

You know nothing about the boat's seven year lifespan. It's on at least its third owner. Rudders can easily get damaged during transport. You might not see this damage until later. They may have hit debris or a whale in the water. A boat I worked on had its Mast damaged while it was boxed up for shipping. You couldn't see the damage, it looked like a two inch scratch. We started diggin, and the damage went thru the tube wall of a very expensive spar. Done, had to have it replaced. It may not have failed the first time out, but it would have eventually come down.

it could have been transport damage but on another thread J-111 hull #1 lost its rudder and sank and hulls number 3 , 4 and 5 all lost their rudders hard reaching in a blow - maybe its a coincidence that Rock and Roll is in the yard without a rudder. You are right, I know nothing - just speculating...

is that an LED,kelper or a mini cam?

I believe it's a mini cam, not positive. I have a cam on my J105 for my rudder. Mine is an aftermarket auto backup camera with its own small display mounted just inside the companionway. Works great. Cost less than a $100.

is that an LED,kelper or a mini cam?

I believe it's a mini cam, not positive. I have a cam on my J105 for my rudder. Mine is an aftermarket auto backup camera with its own small display mounted just inside the companionway. Works great. Cost less than a $100.

So maybe they have tape of the rudder breaking off?

6 hours ago, INTER 20 said:

Same windy Wednesday in Santa BarbaraIMG_5708.thumb.PNG.afa9ba87403d49b3af0b0d41707f1c38.PNG

any pics of the aftermath ? looks like it got ugly.

i don't see a protest flag so any protest is disallowed.

1 hour ago, Team Subterfuge said:

Inter 20 - Are you the new Janer keeping us current on all things Santa Barbara?

That hurts.

5 hours ago, INTER 20 said:

That hurts.

Wow, I'll say.  Although it is a nice job you are doing lately.

On 5/8/2017 at 8:28 AM, INTER 20 said:

Windy Wet Wednesday April 26th.

You guys going to be out on May 31st?  We will be down for the start of the SoCal 300, would be fun to have some heads up J/125 racing.   

I dig the shots of the boat reaching on a plane.  But, why so much water in the cockpit?  Doesn't the boat have an open transom or at least have transom scuppers?  I use to race an FJ in the late 60s and early 70s and we had scuppers in the transom with flaps on them.