Sign in to follow this  
A guy in the Chesapeake

Anyone ever tie a kite to a SOT kayak?

Was just wondering whether or not anyone had hooked up a kiteboarding kite to a kayak? Seems that it might work, and eliminate the need to have outriggers ala the Hobie AI.

Caveat - if this is a dumb question, mea culpa - I have ZERO experience in this. I ordered a trainer kite a couple days ago - and was just thinking about different ways it might be put to use.

Last May I spent a week camping at Assateague with a couple of friends from college. Two of us are kiters, the other one has a Hobie Tandem Island. One day it wasn't windy enough to kiteboard, but it was windy enough to fly the kite, so we headed out on the kayak. One guy flew the kite with his legs braced on the outriggers, one steered, and I held onto the guy with the kite. We had a good time.. Got some good speed with the 18m kite.

Then we took the kayak into the surf and played around. That was fun. Nearly pitchpoled, but had some good rides.

So, possible, but you need a centerboard to go upwind

Been done by lots of people. They even sell kites (small, single line) specifically for driving a kayak downwind. A trainer kite will do, just don't let it go in the water.

Been done by lots of people. They even sell kites (small, single line) specifically for driving a kayak downwind. A trainer kite will do, just don't let it go in the water.

As a complete and utter newb, can I ask why?

Because it won't relaunch out of the water like an inflatable kite can. So once you crash it, you are done.

As a complete and utter newb, can I ask why?

Because it won't relaunch out of the water like an inflatable kite can. So once you crash it, you are done.

Ahh - didn't realize that the trainer kites didn't have the inflatable leading edge/ribs. Mine's not gotten here yet.

Thanks!

Why limit yourself to one kayak?

RV9mrM1_2_qa3A71hun3xmowhzrmsAZej-_wo0ZE

I could see my paddling crew on a saturday after Friday night's festivities doing something like that - we rafted up 8 abreast down the Shenandoah when it was running high - one person designated as the helmsman to keep us off the riverbanks.

there are a few leading edge inflatable training kites

i have used a small foil kite on a kayak - as long as you want to go downwind-ish, it works ok

otherwise you will need some sort of leeboard or something

the rounded hulls of most kayaks don't give them much edging ability.., and they also mean that the kayak kind of wants to roll over if you get the kite in what would be a reaching position

there are a few leading edge inflatable training kites

i have used a small foil kite on a kayak - as long as you want to go downwind-ish, it works ok

otherwise you will need some sort of leeboard or something

the rounded hulls of most kayaks don't give them much edging ability.., and they also mean that the kayak kind of wants to roll over if you get the kite in what would be a reaching position

Understood completely - was thinking that I could use my paddle blade like a daggerboard. My SOT is a big flat barge - (Tarpon 160), and I've got a rudder on it.

I don't know that I'd want to try on any of my sit-IN kayaks, as they're tippy even empty. We do a couple trips a year out to Caper's island (off the coast of Charleston, SC) and was thinking that something like this might make the trip out to the island a little more fun, as well as when I go play in the ocean.

When I get my kite (hopefully today!) I'll get used to it, and then figure out a quick-release mount to the boat, and add a couple lines to dump lift outta the kite as well. Thinking that running a loop of line thru the forward footwell scuppers might give me a solid and well balanced point thru which to tie the kite to the kayak.

I appreciate the comments, and will let y'all know how it works (or doesn't).

I'd like to hear how this turned out. Most trainer kites are 2 line and fly pretty quick. I have a 2m trainer that would easily pull a yak on a windy day but I wouldn't attach it to the boat. I've thought about trying it from a SUP or even one my longboard surfboards. As stated above, if it crashes, I'm done. Swim to the kite and wait for the boat to pick me up.

Still learning how to fly the kite - and working out a jury-rigged quick release & a lift-dump line (don't know what it's properly called, sorry!) before I try connecting it to my Tarpon. having fun w/the kite - I can see this getting to be an obsession.

what kite did you get?

some trainer kites have depower ability, and emergency releases.., but mostly not...

on "real" kites there are generally two ways to depower - in ordinary use.., just pushing the bar away from you is equivalent to easing the sheet - it reduces the angle of attack, and depowers the kite

this works, because unlike most trainer kites, which have only 2 lines, on real kites, there are 4 lines - back lines and front lines, which are controlled independently

there is also an adjustable trim line, that changes the range of sheeting (the range of angle of attack) available when one pushes or pulls on the bar. this is usually used only once or twice a session.., it's not something that is continually adjusted

on these kites, the first response in an emergency is just to let go of the bar, you will still be attached to the kite at the harness, but the kite will be unsheeted, or nearly so- it's more or less equivalent to luffing

I got the "Real" brand B2 Slingshot trainer kite. Could one re-tie the control lines to that in a 4-line configuration?

in principle i'm sure you could..., you would have to add two more lines, as that is a 2-line kite, and redo the whole bridle

but i wouldn't recommend it - there are already lot's of good 4-line kites out there - even very small trainer-sized kites. there are also some 3-line trainer kites that depower - they tend to be cheaper.

anyway, practically speaking..,, i would say no, you can't do it

even if you did, you would still need a bar for a 4-line kite - they are not the same...

a modern 4-line kite is really a beautiful piece of technology, the design of the kite, the bar, the way all the lines are rigged, and the safety systems have been evolving for many years now, and for the most part, everything works really well

I got the "Real" brand B2 Slingshot trainer kite. Could one re-tie the control lines to that in a 4-line configuration?

in principle i'm sure you could..., you would have to add two more lines, as that is a 2-line kite, and redo the whole bridle

but i wouldn't recommend it - there are already lot's of good 4-line kites out there - even very small trainer-sized kites. there are also some 3-line trainer kites that depower - they tend to be cheaper.

anyway, practically speaking..,, i would say no, you can't do it

even if you did, you would still need a bar for a 4-line kite - they are not the same...

a modern 4-line kite is really a beautiful piece of technology, the design of the kite, the bar, the way all the lines are rigged, and the safety systems have been evolving for many years now, and for the most part, everything works really well

Thanks - appreciate the benefit of your experience. I was thinking "cheap" - need to just get the right stuff.