• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Captain Bob

Cool good looking Cruiser/Racers from 80s early 90s

Looking around at the 2nd hand boat market for older cruiser/racers that both have the speed, looks and quality.

Being Danish I have of course looked at the boats that made me turn my head when I was a kid and still have some qualities that I don't find with todays boats.

Please enlighten me with your favourite picks from that period.

On my own list of favorites are.

Luffe 44, good looking light and stylish

Baltic 35, high build quality well designed.

Dynamic 4000, the good looks, light and more canvas than you would see on boats today.

Please share your favorites

i have a bit of a boat-crush on the Farr 39ML CR currently on YW. Price is too high for a used racer, but sure looks sweet.

I've sailed on a Baltic 35 and Ericson 36 ( Ron Holland design) that were both very nice sailing boats. As R/Cers, cockpit layout was a bit compromised for hardcore racing, but you could live with it. The NY 36 didn't sail quite as nice as the aforementioned 2, but it did sail ok. Overall, a J-35 will sail circles around any IOR-influenced boat of similar LOA. I'd suggest going that direction.

Mr Bob, that Dynamic 4000 is a new one to me, damn, nice boat. Got more information about that one ?

I've always liked the X's. The slightly older race oriented ones are a bargain, as no one wants one.

I always liked the 99, the runners scare cruisers off so they're very cheap, might be a bit smaller than you're looking at. The IMXs are bigger.

I mean, c'mon - you knew this was coming....

The 1989 Hunter 40 is a great looking boat - and fast-ish (96).

15DSC00780_zps71bc4252.jpg

She's fun to sail and mighty roomy. No complaints.

Frers designed First 42. IMO one of the best looking boats ever.

4010437_2_20120703025843_0_0.jpg&w=924&h

I looked at a 38 and the 42. Loved them. I came >< that close on the 38. Both of those boats are screamers - no doubt. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the interiors. Those old foam headliners were serious hot messes.

Yep - love my First 405! Very similar boat. And the PO removed the headliner from the aft cabin!

post-121273-0-99641500-1492218268_thumb.jpg

Mr Bob, that Dynamic 4000 is a new one to me, damn, nice boat. Got more information about that one ?

They did several boats in the last halv of the 80s. Started with the Dynamic 35 ( which is still produced I southern Germany for sailing on the lakes. Also there was a 37, 43, 3000 & 2000.

The 2000 and 3000 are now called diamant 2000 and diamant 3000.

In general the whole series were nicely canvassed and did not have any IOR influence.

They were build on Bachs boat yard which had a high standard.

I especially like the 4000 as it is both slick and has space for weekend cruising. In light wind it should still sail from most modern cruiser racers.

The foam headliner on the mid-80s Firsts killed them for me too.

I was disappointed by the j/35 interior, I'm not very tall and couldn't stand upright in most of the boat. It was one of the top boats on my list until I actually got on one.

I love my Express 37. More racer/cruiser than c/r, but we love the interior for cruising.

The foam headliner on the mid-80s Firsts killed them for me too.

I was disappointed by the j/35 interior, I'm not very tall and couldn't stand upright in most of the boat. It was one of the top boats on my list until I actually got on one.

I love my Express 37. More racer/cruiser than c/r, but we love the interior.

Agreed Express 37 looks like good design and nicertified quality

I think the J/42 has gorgeous lines. Easier to do when your primary concern is performance and handling rather than jamming in a complex interior.

bravolee2-1207-913-470-100-c.jpg

A boat that sails well and a boat that anchors well are two different boats.

I'm guessing yours does. Size matters?

One boat I've always admired but you never see down in SoCal is the CS 40. This one in Seattle has a nice look to it. It's been on the market about a year.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/Cs-Yachts-40-2780154/Seattle---Our-Docks%21/WA/United-States#.WPFIqtIrIcA

"Frers designed First 42. IMO one of the best looking boats ever."

only until you see the 51:

usa_first_51_22131848.jpg

And I'll raise all of you with the Frers CS50...

6094211_20170206113525086_1_XLARGE.jpg

It has been my lust/taunting object all Spring.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/Canadian-Sailcraft-50-3058052/Fort-Lauderdale/FL/United-States#.WPPOzKK1uCg

Holy crap CS50. That is a hell of a lot of really nice boat for the $$. I'd never heard of it. Looks nicely done up too.

the hinckley competition 41 makes my pants tight. prettiest boat they ever made in my opinion, and one of the prettiest production boats ever. and it just makes the cut for this thread, I think they built them until 81.

Hinckley-4101.jpg

Calypos%20On%20Mooring.jpg

the hinckley competition 41 makes my pants tight. prettiest boat they ever made in my opinion, and one of the prettiest production boats ever.

Very nice! - but not built in the 80's or 90's. :)

Holy crap CS50. That is a hell of a lot of really nice boat for the $$. I'd never heard of it. Looks nicely done up too.

I believe that's the only one they built.

A real dreamboat

A real dreamboat

Uh oh. Wife likes it

the hinckley competition 41 makes my pants tight. prettiest boat they ever made in my opinion, and one of the prettiest production boats ever. and it just makes the cut for this thread, I think they built them until 81.

Hinckley-4101.jpg

That's the regular hinckley 41, and not the Competition 41 - the Competition 41 has the same hull but a spade rudder.

A real dreamboat

Uh oh. Wife likes it

I remember seeing her when she was first splashed in Lake Ontario. The story as near as I can remember was that they had half a dozen hulls built offshore (S.America or Taiwan, I've heard different versions in different bars), but only one was fitted out at the Canadian Sailcraft yard to be the boss's personal family cruising boat. Basically a family cruiserized Swan 51. The other five hulls were offered for sale, presumably to offset costs, but it was too heavy to race, and too overbuilt to compete with the First 51's on price. Pretty much a Canadian production yard built boat at Swan price's. So only the first one was ever launched.

It was, and still is, a purty boat. Slow for a 50' Frers design, but a Metric buttload of boat for the money.

If I had the spare dosh it would already be mine...so somebody buy the damn thing.

Hinckley-4101.jpg

That's the regular hinckley 41, and not the Competition 41 - the Competition 41 has the same hull but a spade rudder.

same hull above the waterline but yes you're correct, the competition 41 does have a spade rudder, also has a taller rig and more ballast in the keel.

Another call out on the Express 37, one of the finest sailing boats I have been on, very functional interior and I say a really great sailboat? Carl Schumacher's death was sad, would be interesting how his designs would have evolved. A beautiful Schumacher 50 is being re-fitted at Bett's yard in Anacortes and I have a serious case of boat envy.

Another call out on the Express 37, one of the finest sailing boats I have been on, very functional interior and I say a really great sailboat? Carl Schumacher's death was sad, would be interesting how his designs would have evolved. A beautiful Schumacher 50 is being re-fitted at Bett's yard in Anacortes and I have a serious case of boat envy.

Loved my 37, wasn't up to snuff for the wife being a early 80s design. She likes more comfort and systems (systems that drive me nuts)

The C&C looks like a decent compromise, not a bad price either if she's only a few years from a PacCup. I'm looking for a paccup 2020 ride. Maybe that Andrews 43 and put some interior in it... or a Sydney 41... J130...

Loved my 37, wasn't up to snuff for the wife being a early 80s design. She likes more comfort and systems (systems that drive me nuts)

The C&C looks like a decent compromise, not a bad price either if she's only a few years from a PacCup. I'm looking for a paccup 2020 ride. Maybe that Andrews 43 and put some interior in it... or a Sydney 41... J130...

Moore 24...like the cool guys drive.

Full crew, will include 2, 16 year olds

Or a 70+ Y.O. singlehander.

That sounds about right. It will certainly cut down on their masturbating.

Hinckley-4101.jpg

same hull above the waterline but yes you're correct, the competition 41 does have a spade rudder, also has a taller rig and more ballast in the keel.

Very Sweet boat, and agreed one of the nicest production boats

post-23834-0-37495200-1492533720_thumb.jpg

1991 Wauquiez 42. The interior isn't for everyone but works for us and the bridgedeck elicits moans of complaints from less nimble crewmembers. I think Ed DuBois did a nice job designing her.

Ahh, whenever I see a Hinckley my heart beats faster. You know they are just so well appointed inside...

Capt. Bob: My boat was made in Copenhagen, and it says hello!

+1 for thw C&C 37R

Maggie isn't an "R". She's an XL

...which means she has the "R" hull (including, in this case the open stern from the "R", unusual in an XL), the "R" keel and rig, but she also has the full blown comfortable interior from the 37/40+ cruising version, two staterooms, large heads with separate shower, etc.. ...and some ugly green upholstery. Unless you are Irish, then she's beautiful.

+1 for thw C&C 37R

...which means she has the "R" hull (including, in this case the open stern from the "R", unusual in an XL), the "R" keel and rig, but she also has the full blown comfortable interior from the 37/40+ cruising version, two staterooms, large heads with separate shower, etc.. ...and some ugly green upholstery. Unless you are Irish, then she's beautiful.

C&C went crazy in that period with the names 37/40???what was there a retractable piece? Xl, +, R...sheesh.

She didn't do too well in the 2012 PacCup, a day behind an express37, similar rating.... ouch

Nothing can beat the Swan 46:

Cruising-on-Eclipse-Swan-46.jpg

or Swan 53 from that era. Pure elegance and performance.

swan53_3p.jpg

Nothing can beat the Swan 46:

Cruising-on-Eclipse-Swan-46.jpg

or Swan 53 from that era. Pure elegance and performance.

swan53_3p.jpg

Nice looking. Except price wise back then they were over priced (and with inferior systems) to the bejesus compared to other production builds of that era. That Swan price differential continues to this day on the used market for boats of that era with nothing to substantiate that difference. Beneteau going down market build wise in the late 90's has just perpetuated the Swan myth. PS I have done more miles on Swans than most for the last 30 years so have some idea.

Why is it that when Swans are mentioned, the first thing that comes to mind is their relatively high cost. They are good looking and built like a rock. If i were to cross an ocean on a 20 year old boat, i would definately choose a Swan than a Beneteau.

Growing up we had one of these. I spent a lot of time sleeping between those twin spinnaker poles between the mast and the winches. Very easy to handle boat, even for a teenager. Much later we had a 48, but that sailed like truck.

14894B0Hj1iueGd3PoRbsDSXHhbPa2JO.jpg

Why is it that when Swans are mentioned, the first thing that comes to mind is their relatively high cost. They are good looking and built like a rock. If i were to cross an ocean on a 20 year old boat, i would definately choose a Swan than a Beneteau.

If they are both 20+ years old I would love to hear your reasoning and trans ocean experience with same if you have any...your post suggests you don't.

Is that a 43 Jamie? Or a 44?

43 - I think it was also sold/marketed as the PJ 43. All of them developed soft decks right behind the mast. Ours had the trim tab glassed in and the rudder enlarged and moved aft.

I sailed that boat for a week years ago. I thought it sailed like a truck! But it was good looking. A bit heavy on the helm for my taste.

I remember when the first Swan 38 showed up here in the mid 70's. It was mesmerizing - totally in a class by itself. Like seeing your first Ferrari or Lambo back then.

I would have sold my soul for that boat but now I can't imagine even wanting it.

I love those older Swans. Not very practical for racing or cruising but beautiful.

How come not practical for cruising? Aren't most of them cruised around the world?

The gib sea 414 that later became Dufour 414

The "plus" version used to win everything.

gib-sea-414-2356605200913102564849555748

I love those older Swans. Not very practical for racing or cruising but beautiful.

How come not practical for cruising? Aren't most of them cruised around the world?

Once you've tacked one, you don't really want to use it as a cruiser.

I have, but we had power winches, so wasn't hard work. The 46 I was on was setup for minimal crew. Only used a 130% jib, etc... I totally get the Racing comment because I have raced on them with full crew and its a rugby team to get it up to full potential, but for faffing around the globe, I didnt think it was too terrible. But, Bob might be thinking of how easy other designs are to handle comparatively. That's my assumption.

Manhole hatches, near impossible to fit a dodger, decks covered in hardware, enormous jibs & tiny mains - shall I continue?

If the genoa is on a furler though, I think it would be easier to reef than the main. I love Swans but don't think they would be too easy to sail offshore shorthanded looking at the deck arrangements.

I have, but we had power winches, so wasn't hard work. The 46 I was on was setup for minimal crew. Only used a 130% jib, etc... I totally get the Racing comment because I have raced on them with full crew and its a rugby team to get it up to full potential, but for faffing around the globe, I didnt think it was too terrible. But, Bob might be thinking of how easy other designs are to handle comparatively. That's my assumption.

I've sailed a 441 around brittany in the late 90s, we weren't even racing but when we got to the west of Brittany, we got breezy conditions during all the night and next morning we were just exhausted reefing, tacking, even luffing, everything was hard on the crew. I wouldn't want to be alone with wife and kids. The boat had no power winchers, autopilot etc.. and a gigantic genoa, we were 3 experienced guys on board, it never got to the point where it was marginal but today alone with my wife, I wouldn't be strong enough to do it again. I suppose I would have to stop the boat and wait.

Some of those boats are gorgeous eye candy. Like SloopJonB, the Swan 38 struck at the time as a thing of extraordinary beauty.

But now I find most of those 80s boats pretty only in an abstract sort of way. As soon as I start to consider function, my view of them falls apart.

Huge, overlapping headsails, good only for going uphill on one tack, and fit to exhaust your crew if you try to go about and have to get that lapper round the babstay. Pinched bows to bury downwind. Pinched sterns to serve as a chastity belt against surfing downwind.

Ridiculous climb-up-the-sky mainhatch to place you ten miles into the sky when you go below, and isolate the cabin from the cockpit. Companionway ladder that looks like something out a posh lighthouse. Interior a dark cave.

So, like Sloopy, I don't want one. I wouldn't take one for free, and even with a dowry I'd still hesitate.

If you like the look of the Baltic 35, perhaps you should have a look at the C&C 37/40 XL?

Maggie is for sale in Berkeley, CA

5798628_20160512184421044_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/C-%26-C-37-XLplus-2965372/Berkeley/CA/United-States#.WPVzLvnytaQ

Was I the only one mentally half way through the window replacement project the moment they saw that picture? I bet the bastards used that sealant you can't actually clean off but doesn't seal.

If you like the look of the Baltic 35, perhaps you should have a look at the C&C 37/40 XL?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/C-%26-C-37-XLplus-2965372/Berkeley/CA/United-States#.WPVzLvnytaQ

Was I the only one mentally half way through the window replacement project the moment they saw that picture? I bet the bastards used that sealant you can't actually clean off but doesn't seal.

I think that era of C&C windows was done with methacrylate adhesive, which is fine until it starts to crumble. Judging by all the screws in the windows, they leak.

I think that era of C&C windows was done with methacrylate adhesive, which is fine until it starts to crumble. Judging by all the screws in the windows, they leak.

yep....IIRC, metacrylic adhesive was 2 part with a pretty pricy gun to apply? replaced ports on a C&C 29 a few years ago....

Here's my pick. Probably a bit more racer than cruiser but still cruiseable in my opinion. The lines on this Frers beauty are too sweet to not include in this thread, again, in my opinion.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Ekrolon---Frers-48%27-2267548/French-Riviera---Cote-d%27Azur/France

You have a valid opinion.

Gorgeous.

yep....IIRC, metacrylic adhesive was 2 part with a pretty pricy gun to apply? replaced ports on a C&C 29 a few years ago....

Yes, they used a product similar to Plexus MA-(pick a number). I remember much cursing about the guns.

Nowadays the go-to is 3M VHB tape and Dow 795 to back it up/make it pretty.

The demise of IOR saw better looking and more sail friendly boats come off the drawing board in the early 90's. Unfortunately it also coincided with a hicup in the world economy so production numbers were not great. That financial situation was probably responsible for the subsequent changes to build quality.

I'm 99.99% certain that Bandana is the ex-Lark which was built for a good friend of mine. I spent a lot of time on that boat offshore and inshore on the Chesapeake Bay, doing a Bermuda Race and delivery back. Loved, loved, loved that boat. Carl Schumacher design that sailed really nicely. Built like the proverbial sh*t brick house. True story: the boat was shipped from England aboard a freighter with its custom steel cradle. Somewhere along the way it was lifted either on or off, not sure which, using lines clipped to the toenail, not the cradle.

Made a mess of of the aluminum toenail but the hull was fine...

Good choice.

+1 for thw C&C 37R

C&C went crazy in that period with the names 37/40???what was there a retractable piece? Xl, +, R...sheesh.

In the year 1988 the then newest version of the C&C 37 went to market. They called it the C&C 37+ to distinguish it from the previous version of the C&C 37. This new boat was actually had an LOA of 39' 6". Eventually they realized they had mad a mistake calling it a 37 so started marketing it as the C&C 37/40+

There was a stripped down racing version called the C&C 37R with different hull layup with more kevlar, and a taller rig, deeper keel, a stick built interior more suited to racing than cruising. This version was about 1000 lbs lighter than the cruising 37+

Then some customers asked for the R hull layup, rig and keel, but with the 37+ interior. C&C was very accommodating to paying customers so built the boat the customer asked for.

so now you have the:

C&C 37+ (cruising)

C&C 37 R (racing)

and the C&C 37 XL which was a combination of the two above.

Not so complicated is it?

Ahh, whenever I see a Hinckley my heart beats faster. You know they are just so well appointed inside...

Capt. Bob: My boat was made in Copenhagen, and it says hello!

Greetings to your Boat KraftWerk, which one is it?

Here's my pick. Probably a bit more racer than cruiser but still cruiseable in my opinion. The lines on this Frers beauty are too sweet to not include in this thread, again, in my opinion.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Ekrolon---Frers-48%27-2267548/French-Riviera---Cote-d%27Azur/France

The bot doesn't do a lot for me, but I love the blurb:

"She is in aluminium and can ospite 6 persons."

"Performance are guaranteed!!!"

The demise of IOR saw better looking and more sail friendly boats come off the drawing board in the early 90's.

Your comment about "better looking" is very debatable.

Find us better looking 90's boats.

Kialoa+III_2.jpg

Screen-shot-2015-05-18-at-10.07.50-411x4

ajaxnetphoto-10th-may-1975-solent-englan