Hugh Jorgan

2017 California Offshore Race Week

I am excited to do the whole series this year. We have pulled out in SB the past 2 years, this year the boat need to end up in LA.

I am excited to do the whole series this year. We have pulled out in SB the past 2 years, this year the boat need to end up in LA.

We did Spin Cup last year. Had so much fun I kept asking myself why we didn't do the other legs. Really looking forward to going all the way down to SD this time around! Sure hope the SC 50 and 70 crews don't drink all the beer by the time we finish and get to the bar.

So far the forecast for Spinnaker Cup is on the light side. Coastal Cup is starting to look pretty Fun! And, even though we are a week out from So Cal 300 the forecast is at least improving.

Bummed I'm missing Spin Cup for the first time in 10 years.  Was supposedly doing it on a friend's SC50 and when that fell through last minutish did not have enough time to get the crew logistics in place to do it in my boat :-(

Reminded me of why I usually do my own thing on my own boat...

1 hour ago, daddle said:

Lee vs. Lee. A 14 knot drag race to Monterey.

merlin rates lower than a SC70 ?

Merlin apparently owes Catapult a few seconds. I thought it was the other way around. But lotsa mods in those two.

Very promising forecast through out the week.

Coastal Water Point Reyes to Pigeon Pt. Out 10 Nm

BRISK NORTHERLY WINDS WILL CONTINUE OVER THE COASTAL WATERS AS HIGH PRESSURE REMAINS STRONG OFF THE WEST COAST. THE GUSTY WINDS WILL PRODUCE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS WITH STEEPER WIND WAVES AND FRESH SWELL. WINDS WILL DECREASE TUESDAY NIGHT AS A WEAK FRONTAL SYSTEM MOVES THROUGH THE COASTAL WATERS. 

Tonight
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft at 11 seconds. Patchy fog after midnight. Patchy drizzle after midnight.
Memorial Day
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft at 10 seconds. Patchy fog in the morning. Patchy drizzle in the morning.
Mon Night
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft at 10 seconds. Patchy drizzle after midnight.
Tue
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft at 10 seconds. Patchy drizzle in the morning.
Tue Night
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft at 11 seconds. Slight chance of showers after midnight.

Pigeon Pt. to Pt. Pinos out 10 Nm

Mon Night
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft at 10 seconds. Patchy drizzle after midnight.
Tue
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft at 10 seconds. Patchy drizzle in the morning.
Tue Night
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft at 11 seconds. Slight chance of showers after midnight.
Wed
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft...shifting to the west. Slight chance of showers.

Pt. Pinos to Peidras Blancas.
Tue
Tue Night
Wed
NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 ft. Slight chance of showers. Patchy fog.

Piedras Blancas to Pt Sal.  Note the building sea state.

Tue
NW winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming 15 to 25 kt with local gusts to 30 kt in the afternoon. Combined seas 5 to 6 ft dominant period 8 seconds.
Tue Night
NW winds 15 to 25 kt with local gusts to 30 kt in the evening...becoming 10 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Combined seas 5 to 6 ft dominant period 8 seconds.
Wed
NW winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the afternoon. Combined seas 5 to 7 dominant period 8 seconds.

I'm doing the SoCal 300 leg, so see some of you anarchists on the docks Thursday.

Ya, ChimChim gybing inshore, out of the good breeze, did not help. Slowed way down. The SC70 are sailing at 20+ to Chim's 12 or so. They are all far offshore my cabin here. The haze hides them. The Swan's were just visible: looked like no chutes for them.

Azure, the Cal 40, is going by my bedroom window now. No spinnaker. Calm wind here on shore, however it looks very windy out there with seas to match.

looks like horizon and lucky duck doing a horizon job on the rest of their class.

Looks like Snafu, the Moore 24, is in some kind of difficulty. Two nearby boats headed their way.

More info on Snafu on that other bay area sailing website.  

The lead boats crushed this leg. Average speeds of around 11.45!  Probably faster, as I don't have the exact finish times. 

Scratch that.The SC 70's finished around 0200. So averages in the 16.0 range!

Horizon and Lucky Duck around 0600.  So averages in the 12.0 range!

Thanks for the tip Ian.  Snafu dismasted and abandoned! 

great to see both were pulled off safely.

Now Snafu is making a straight drift to the rocks.  Hopefully someone in Morro Bay YC can head out and drag her home

Wow what a night.  Glad to hear they are safe.

reminds me of another story of a short boat pitch poling just south of that area. ;)

TJR  

It was a wild ride last night aboard Horizon ! New top boat speed of 28.7 knots to Max. Lots of 30 knot plus breeze. Pretty funky sea state. Had a slight delay when a quartering wave spun me into a round down. But, thanks to a great crew and well prepared boat plus an awesome job from our navigator "Elvis" we were first boat to finish in class C. Now we just have to get it back together for the SoCal 300.

ChimChim, the Gunboat 62, broke a rudder, withdrew, motored in (Lat38).

On 5/30/2017 at 3:29 PM, Tom O'Keefe said:

It was a wild ride last night aboard Horizon ! New top boat speed of 28.7 knots to Max. Lots of 30 knot plus breeze. Pretty funky sea state. Had a slight delay when a quartering wave spun me into a round down. But, thanks to a great crew and well prepared boat plus an awesome job from our navigator "Elvis" we were first boat to finish in class C. Now we just have to get it back together for the SoCal 300.

i can only imagine the noises the hull makes at that speed ! congrats buddy.

Thanks for posting that video, did they hit something with the rudder or was it just due to speed and sea conditions

Very cool.  Which boat? and what was the top speed in this clip?

Thanks for sharing