• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Doug Lord

Voilavion 16' Foiler

Newsletter received today:

25aqk3t.jpg

Beautiful boat, looks well executed, but not sure that tilting mast+simple belong in one sentence? They also specify A-class/F18 Cirrus R, which is rather confusing, along with the "standard Cirrus spares"...nothing on that boat looks like a standard Cirrus anything, except maybe the main sheet? Regardless, some videos would be great to show the stability and overall sailability of the platform, the width certainly makes it attractive for those who may not want to trapeze! One sail is also pretty simple!

200 kg isn't light either.

Some photos show 2 wands per hull and others only show 1. Any idea what the final setup will be?

Impressive width at 14' too. The F18 beam is normally 8'6". It definitely looks like F18 hulls which would explain the 200kg. The F18 is 180kg. Good for cost control and if they can get it to foil in a stable way in light-ish airs, why not?

Wow (and not in a good way!)

How many places are there where a 14 foot wide cat can be comfortably launched and sailed? I am also not a great fan of big bits sticking out from the side of boats, like the extended front beam. I can see the appeal as a single hander, but as a boat for 2 or 3, after the initial buzz of being a passenger, what's in it for the "crew"? As a single hander, 200 kgs with a 36 foot mast to manage on your own is going to be "interesting". I cannot see how his becomes a mass market boat.

It is interesting for a few reasons. The position of the foils and main beam is way ahead of anything we have seen recently and that will be watched with interest by many, while the canting rig is also something that will spark interest. So a cool project, but it seems to me to be flawed.

Is it just me or is this thing quickly going to get nicknamed "violation"?

Mex

I thought it was just you :-)... until even google search got it like that. Yes I think they fucked up with that name