• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
mid-fleet buoy racer

Is D.C.'s Schock 35 class legal?

Geez..I dunno. Not this shit again. DC has been down that road many times. I can't comment with this creation but he has played by the rules. Right to the fringe of the rules of course. He did a CF 27 that was tricked out like that that was almost unrecognizable and there was a big hue & cry with what he did. Might have taken advantage that was open to him - to the nth degree. The boat was immaculate and pretty spanky. And there is the DC factor when actually racing the boat. It might have been a 50K (or more) CF27 but was available to do that for anyone. Still - it wasn't banned or penalized if remember correctly.

And ya, it was shit storm then.

As Smokey Yunick once said (quite correctly) about auto racing - "If the rules don't say I can't do it then I have to assume I can".

I believe a "SHIT STORM" was the intent of the OP...

Slow day for trolling, I reckon? Lots more easy biting fish over in PA, but the water there is quite polluted!

Geez..I dunno. Not this shit again. DC has been down that road many times. I can't comment with this creation but he has played by the rules. Right to the fringe of the rules of course. He did a CF 27 that was tricked out like that that was almost unrecognizable and there was a big hue & cry with what he did. Might have taken advantage that was open to him - to the nth degree. The boat was immaculate and pretty spanky. And there is the DC factor when actually racing the boat. It might have been a 50K (or more) CF27 but was available to do that for anyone. Still - it wasn't banned or penalized if remember correctly.

Maxx - you know some of the story but clearly didn't see the boat up close. It was just painted with faired foils and had the masthead crane removed and no backstay. Still, a good story for the bar sea lawyers...

-Snap

Maxx - you know some of the story but clearly didn't see the boat up close. It was just painted with faired foils and had the masthead crane removed and no backstay. Still, a good story for the bar sea lawyers...

-Snap

Yeah I remember reading that story (Sailing World, Seahorse?).

No backstay? Thought he just removed the partners so's he could tilt all the way forward and yeah deck was hodgepodge of what was there already. If it didn't produce speed he ignored it.

-Snap

I did see it in SD up and personal just when it was just launched.Even then I thought WTF? There's going to be a hurting or full on resurrection and I saw the Sailing piece too. It was to the point that he can do that under the rules. Yes, bar sea lawyers were having kittens I'm sure. I just thought it was the same thing. Wasn't him that said about "No stone unturned" or something? Or was it someone else like that? Still he does that. Get you use to it.

-Snap

I did see it in SD up and personal just when it was just launched.Even then I thought WTF? There's going to be a hurting or full on resurrection and I saw the Sailing piece too. It was to the point that he can do that under the rules. Yes, bar sea lawyers were having kittens I'm sure. I just thought it was the same thing. Wasn't him that said about "No stone unturned" or something? Or was it someone else like that? Still he does that. Get you use to it.

IIRC, it was "No Excuse to Lose". He wrote a book with the same title.

-Snap

I raced the boat for a while before DC picked it up. The hull and foils were painted in about two weeks before Yachting Cup so of course it looked nice then. The deck, interior, and luckily the velvet painting hanging down below were not touched. The boat was rode hard and put away wet in prior years so the hull started looked rough after a bit. Still, a fun and fast boat. The issues at yachting cup were the undeclared removal of the crane and pro driver (not DC).

-Snap

Re: the CF27: The biggest cause of people getting upset was the fairing job--specifically the man/hours poured into long-boarding the bottom. It was an unreasonable and out-of-proportion amount of labor lavished on a 27' PHRF day-racer. As the boats were delivered by Choate, the hulls were reasonably fair--at least compared to most So. Cal. production builders. And the boats were raced and rated with those bottoms. It could be argued that Menace X??? was faired to the point that it was no longer the same as the other CF27s. Toward the end of the hay-day of Schock 35 one-design racing, that sort of fairing was de rigueur and all the competitive boats were thus prepared.

And then there is the selective fairing. Maybe fair just a little bit more by that IOR bump. Certainly, difference smaller than that have caused all the Star sailors to abandon one builder for another.

The rigging mods were simply another take on rig control; it didn't directly affect the boatspeed. Other forms of mast control and fraculators could be as effective.

In the end, everyone agreed it was just a VERY well prepped CF27. I expect the Schock 35 is the same.

As an aside, a serious fairing is relatively temporary. Even the better jobs (and there are a lot of not-so-good jobs) will age differently as the materials of the hull and of the fairing expand and contract differently and absorb water differently. Buying a boat on the basis of a 15-year-old fairing job might not be as much of a slam/dunk as one might hope for.

If it is Buttercup, then yes.

DC's Schock is Buttercup. That boat was always one of the best in the fleet.

It's been a really long time but I remember finding it funny that everyone was being beat by a boat called Buttercup with that yellow deck and as I recall a crew of older but very good sailors. I guess that was the point of the name though.

John Cazier, great guy, great boat, like many of the owners in that class in its day, there was a time that class was the place to be if you wanted OD.

I have it on good authority that the boat is class legal.

The rules don't specify what color the mast should be just that it be paint. DC's is clear coated, so painted. There is a specific provision in the class rules for that boat being it has the foam deck (additional corrector weights). All corrector weights for items removed are in place as defined by the rules. The boat will be sailed with class sails.

The boat is a 7 time Lipton Cup winner and so I'm sure that it's been inspected a few times. It's a VERY well prepared Schock 35 (isn't that the first rule of racing?)

The big news is that the Schock 35 fleet is back, with enthusiastic owners and 8 boats competing in this event coming from SD to SB and all in between. I think we are in for a great event.

The fleet has several OD events planned for 2017 up and down SoCal. If anyone wanted an affordable boat that can cruise in comfort to Catalina one weekend and race One Design against a multiple world champion the next they should seriously consider the Schock 35.

DC could race in any class he wanted to, I'm personally stoked that DC is competing with us. I expect to learn much from him.

MB.

In the end, everyone agreed it was just a VERY well prepped CF27.

Yup.

IIRC, Dave Culver did the work on the 27. Great guy, part of the S&S-88 campaign, boat captain on Sayonara, Wizard, others. Not too many better at prepping a boat. If he's doing the Schock, it'll be a weapon (although it was already one of the best boats in that class...)

But, as you note, it boils down to things that can be done to just about any boat. DC's model for prep is cliche, but those who don't do the same thing(s) are pretty much ensuring that they have 'excuses to lose'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DC could race in any class he wanted to, I'm personally stoked that DC is competing with us. I expect to learn much from him.

MB.

When DC stepped down a few classes to race VIM some whankers of cra whined about it being unfair

YES everyone is going to finish 1 place back from the norm

BUT for anyone desiring to "Learn from The Best" Exactly what & how to do in our local waters To Win, it was a "Golden Opportunity"

"IF" you keep it to "Improving SAILING" And what You might do to help the World of sailing

DC is one of the most Approachable, Helpful & Generous "Legends of any Sport"

Just Don't Bug him

This thread would have been better posted as a reply over in --> A quiet drink with...

...DC's model for prep is cliche, but those who don't do the same thing(s) are pretty much ensuring that they have 'excuses to lose'.

By cliche, do you mean a well prepared bottom, good recent sails, as light as legal boat and all hardware in working order? Or is there more to it?

What kind of ego does it take to lose to Dennis Conner and blame it on him cheating the class rules?

you want that list chronologically, alphabetically or according to the age of the complainant?

By cliche, do you mean

By cliche (*), I mean his adoption of the phrase "no excuse to lose", writing about wins in stars and ton-classes by making sure that his boat was better prepared than anyone else's. It's been his idiom (**) for a very long time.

* "a phrase that is so over-used it is no longer considered original"

** "characteristic form of expression"

What kind of ego does it take to lose to Dennis Conner and blame it on him cheating the class rules?

you want that list chronologically, alphabetically or according to the age of the complainant?

Thread winner!

Thread winner!

+1

Yup.

IIRC, Dave Culver did the work on the 27. Great guy, part of the S&S-88 campaign, boat captain on Sayonara, Wizard, others. Not too many better at prepping a boat. If he's doing the Schock, it'll be a weapon (although it was already one of the best boats in that class...)

But, as you note, it boils down to things that can be done to just about any boat. DC's model for prep is cliche, but those who don't do the same thing(s) are pretty much ensuring that they have 'excuses to lose'.

DC's model for prep included using an illegal professional to steer the boat in his absence. Should everyone do that?

Did Culver build a new rudder for the 27? Word on the street is there was a non-stock rudder on the boat that weighed a LOT less than stock. Should everyone do that? Of course this should have been reported to PHRF and they should have considered that in the rating process.

But some animals are more equal than others.

Yup.

DC's model for prep included using an illegal professional to steer the boat in his absence. Should everyone do that?

Did Culver build a new rudder for the 27? Word on the street is there was a non-stock rudder on the boat that weighed a LOT less than stock. Should everyone do that? Of course this should have been reported to PHRF and they should have considered that in the rating process.

Whoa there pardner, the applicable class rules only address dimensionality and require a boat to be optimized before you can complain get a rating adjustment. As long as the dimensions remain the same there is no violation. Consider it to being akin to removing excess weight on a boat with a carbon boom or spinnaker pole, perhaps putting on a smaller outboard, cushions or such. As long as the dimensions of the boat remain the same there is no foul. On the other hand if the rudder was a different shape, laterally or longitudinally, or the weight savings was moved from the rudder to the keel/ballast then that would have been a mandatory report/review situation.

But I do agree that requiring all boats to go crazy with optimization in order to remain competitive defeats the underlying purpose of PHRF.

Any version will do..... go for it

Edit.

I don't remember hearing to many stories, did I miss something?

It wasn't as if he sailed a fibreglass 12m. Ducking. Lol

Yup.

Whoa there pardner, the applicable class rules only address dimensionality and require a boat to be optimized before you can complain get a rating adjustment. As long as the dimensions remain the same there is no violation. Consider it to being akin to removing excess weight on a boat with a carbon boom or spinnaker pole, perhaps putting on a smaller outboard, cushions or such. As long as the dimensions of the boat remain the same there is no foul. On the other hand if the rudder was a different shape, laterally or longitudinally, or the weight savings was moved from the rudder to the keel/ballast then that would have been a mandatory report/review situation.

But I do agree that requiring all boats to go crazy with optimization in order to remain competitive defeats the underlying purpose of PHRF.

That's sounds like an awful lot of weight trimming operations available, how often do boats have get an adjustment and how long does it take? Sorry knowledge of PHRF is limited, apart the shitfighting it always seems to cause here.

The S35 rules have a minimum weight for the boat. So that's much less of an issue than in PHRF and some hulls are drier than others. Everyone knows that particular hull is "special" and as such has an appropriate penalty to bring it up to spec. However I personally wish W.D Schock never made the damn thing regardless of who owns it. It has caused problems in that fleet for years.

John Cazier, great guy, great boat, like many of the owners in that class in its day, there was a time that class was the place to be if you wanted OD.

word

The S35 rules have a minimum weight for the boat. So that's much less of an issue than in PHRF and some hulls are drier than others. Everyone knows that particular hull is "special" and as such has an appropriate penalty to bring it up to spec. However I personally wish W.D Schock never made the damn thing regardless of who owns it. It has caused problems in that fleet for years.

Just go find a decent one (any former top 3 boat in Lipton Cup or Nationals-Outlier, Mischief, Bold Forbes, Wings, Shilleleigh) and make sure the bottom is still ok and the core isn't trashed. Then take off any rigging that doesnt make the boat go faster or turn around the mark better. Then take all the shit out of the draweers, chart table, etc, everything that isn't glassed in and lay it all on the dock. Then put things back on the boat ONLY if the class rules require it, or it makes the boat go faster, and put eveything else in the garage where it belongs.

Then make sure the mast is in the right place, and get new sails. The just go sailing a lot, with the same people.

Then go beat DC. Think how stoked you'll be

They were a blast 25 years ago no reason they can't be a blast now. Not bad PHRF/Catalina weekend boats too

Part of the game, at least at higher levels, is to figure out what can be done that is technically legal that will produce an edge over the competition. mark Donohue's "The Unfair Advantage" is a fun read that speaks to this idea a bit. But a good rules shit-storm is always fun to watch, to...

Just go find a decent one (any former top 3 boat in Lipton Cup or Nationals-Outlier, Mischief, Bold Forbes, Wings, Shilleleigh) and make sure the bottom is still ok and the core isn't trashed. Then take off any rigging that doesnt make the boat go faster or turn around the mark better. Then take all the shit out of the draweers, chart table, etc, everything that isn't glassed in and lay it all on the dock. Then put things back on the boat ONLY if the class rules require it, or it makes the boat go faster, and put eveything else in the garage where it belongs.

Then make sure the mast is in the right place, and get new sails. The just go sailing a lot, with the same people.

They were a blast 25 years ago no reason they can't be a blast now. Not bad PHRF/Catalina weekend boats too

the go sailing part with regular pals is key. I think the year after DC bought Buttercup he got spanked pretty bad at Lipton Cup.

The old Mischief is now called Excalibur. The boat is definitely quick, always felt quicker than the Mako boat that came up here for a while.

Mischief was fast but not much, if at all, measurably faster than the others. It was well prepped and maintained, dry, and with nothing onboard that wasn't required.

And don't discount the crew; Mischief had a rotating pool of not-quite-pros who really knew their tactics and boat-handling and really enjoyed sailing with each other.

Mischief was fast but not much, if at all, measurably faster than the others. It was well prepped and maintained, dry, and with nothing onboard that wasn't required.

And don't discount the crew; Mischief had a rotating pool of not-quite-pros who really knew their tactics and boat-handling and really enjoyed sailing with each other.

Just a note, Schnick owns ex-Mischief now.

Over the past few years we've had: Mischief, Mako, and Psycho Betty in Van. Looks like Mischief is pretty much the only one left now.

Ullman Sails too.

The rules don't specify what color the mast should be just that it be paint. DC's is clear coated, so painted. There is a specific provision in the class rules for that boat being it has the foam deck (additional corrector weights). All corrector weights for items removed are in place as defined by the rules. The boat will be sailed with class sails.

The boat is a 7 time Lipton Cup winner and so I'm sure that it's been inspected a few times. It's a VERY well prepared Schock 35 (isn't that the first rule of racing?)

The big news is that the Schock 35 fleet is back, with enthusiastic owners and 8 boats competing in this event coming from SD to SB and all in between. I think we are in for a great event.

The fleet has several OD events planned for 2017 up and down SoCal. If anyone wanted an affordable boat that can cruise in comfort to Catalina one weekend and race One Design against a multiple world champion the next they should seriously consider the Schock 35.

MB.

OMG, there are still thinking adults left on this site! Tip of the cap to you Sir!

Back in the 90's the yard I managed faired and painted the hulls, keels and rudders of several of the top Schock 35's. I believe we did Water Mocassin first, then Mischief and Butter Cup. We did a few others as well.

I think longy did Mischief. Not sure if that was through a yard or on his own, but his name was always spoken with reverence on the boat for the way he took care of the details of boat prep for Carolyn.

Wings (ex Hombre) was a fast boat. Dennis Case sold her off to somebody in Houston, TX. Ended up a total loss when it was sunk at the HYC docks by Hurricane Ike in 2008.

I'm biased, but Super Gnat was also a well kept and fast hull. Cliffy sold it right after winning "SDYC Yacht of the Year" in 2003. Renamed Joann. No idea where she is now?

Wings (ex Hombre) was a fast boat. Dennis Case sold her off to somebody in Houston, TX. Ended up a total loss when it was sunk at the HYC docks by Hurricane Ike in 2008.

I'm biased, but Super Gnat was also a well kept and fast hull. Cliffy sold it right after winning "SDYC Yacht of the Year" in 2003. Renamed Joann. No idea where she is now?

Was nice to see Cliffy yesterday on the Gnat

Needing to hit Havasu

The Only PRO I ever knew to snag the RC boat while racing :o:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back in the 90's the yard I managed faired and painted the hulls, keels and rudders of several of the top Schock 35's. I believe we did Water Mocassin first, then Mischief and Butter Cup. We did a few others as well.

remember watermoc had to have the entire keel removed after it was found to be ever so slightly, totally and completely, in the wrong place

attention to detail with that builder was never a strong suit

The big news is that the Schock 35 fleet is back

So when should we expect the other 3 horsemen of the apocalypse to show up?

remember watermoc had to have the entire keel removed after it was found to be ever so slightly, totally and completely, in the wrong place

And wait, there's more....keel was asymmetrical and I think the rudder wasn't square to the centerline either.

Felt like a totally different boat after it came out of the yard.

The apocalypse will occur when the ID35 fleet shows back up in SD...

After the deck stickers the last one got in DAGO

I don't think another will risk coming

1D35 is Not a DAGO ride

And wait, there's more....keel was asymmetrical and I think the rudder wasn't square to the centerline either.

Kinda like early j24s, 3 digit boat took 40# of lead of one side to make it fit template!

Kinda like early j24s, 3 digit boat took 40# of lead of one side to make it fit template!

Yes, we put a lot of work into straightening, foiling to the templates and fairing the bottom of several Schock 35's. As I recall when Judy first reported back, she said when other 35's would catch a wave for a wave length they would go three.

One of the fairing issues of the Schock 35 was inherited from the donor boat, the Santana 35.

When Woody Royce finished up the Santana 35 plug one afternoon, management decided that it was too late in the day to start laying up the mold and did not want to pay overtime. So the perfectly faired and smooth plug sat overnight in an open shed, under a tin roof. Overnight it was dewy.

Next morning the once fair plug had visibly swelled overnight and the planking joints on the plug were clearly visible. But no time to waste and the lamination of the mold commenced. You can clearly see these planking artifacts on the entire Santana 35 and the aft 2/3 of the Schock 35 hulls.

Do any of you guys know how well the Coronado YC S35 Ultrashock went in the day?

FWIW - In the early 90's the soon to be wife and I crewed on Ultrashock for a few San Diego regattas. Was more of a mercy mission. I Forget the owner's name. Boat was not as prepared as the top performing boats. I remember it had an old grandfathered Kevlar main that looked like crap. Regardless, we did manage to eek out a few good finishes. Never thought the boat was a dog. In the end, I think the owner was more interested in the cruising aspects of the boat. Never saw her race after that in any of the "hot and heavy" fleet races of the mid-90s.

One of the fairing issues of the Schock 35 was inherited from the donor boat, the Santana 35.

When Woody Royce finished up the Santana 35 plug one afternoon, management decided that it was too late in the day to start laying up the mold and did not want to pay overtime. So the perfectly faired and smooth plug sat overnight in an open shed, under a tin roof. Overnight it was dewy.

Next morning the once fair plug had visibly swelled overnight and the planking joints on the plug were clearly visible. But no time to waste and the lamination of the mold commenced. You can clearly see these planking artifacts on the entire Santana 35 and the aft 2/3 of the Schock 35 hulls.

this

this

+the fact that these boats were never one design, in that a bus is not one design, a truck is not one design ... ad nauseaum.

Bitter, thanks for the response, that's about what I expected. The boat is fully tricked out with all the cruising options on offer at the time so definitely max weight.

The up side the hull and spars are excellent condition as she was never raced "hot and heavy". Although she was pretty dirty and left to rot when I got her she is back to fine form now after months of cleaning and restoration. Now named Kookaburra.

IIRC, Hombre had the keel in the wrong place, too. And not by a little.

yep, and that boat ended up being named Wings. Basement to penthouse after the keel was put in the correct place

The apocalypse will occur when the ID35 fleet shows back up in SD...

I never lost any skin to the deck of a 1D35, so I would welcome their return (as long as I'm not the guy trying to flick kelp off the keel with one of those god awful flossing sticks).