• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Crossland

How to watch live races?

622 posts in this topic

Oracle are total ingrates for racing in the Louis Vuitton challenger series.

So if you push the + button on Sky NZ you can turn the commentary off but it keeps the other sound.

Anyone got better audio to tune into?

Ken read is doing a great job talking on BT

FFS It's easier getting a broadcast of junior curling from Korea.

Awesome.  As expected, the coverage disappeared for 5 minutes of ads and the race was entirely turned around.  Go NBCSN.

Yeah the BT Sport producers have the good sense to stay the fuck out of the way

1 hour ago, vibroman said:

Not sure how you get that stinger

i only see virtual eye and leaderboard

ios in usa

Not sure either but I've had a perfect, commercial-free video feed via the app since the first start, it's terrific especially with headphones. Loving it!

ios in usa

26 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Not sure either but I've had a perfect, commercial-free video feed via the app since the first start, it's terrific especially with headphones. Loving it!

ios in usa

Seriously? The broadcast video? Or is it one of those extra-footage platforms where you choose a weird camera angle and stick with it?

You don't have a geoblocker or anything?

20 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

Seriously? The broadcast video? Or is it one of those extra-footage platforms where you choose a weird camera angle and stick with it?

You don't have a geoblocker or anything?

Yes, I get all 6 channels. Live broadcast, Technical, BoatA-1, BoatA-2, BoatB-1, BoatB-2, all of it.

It is ~possible~ that back when I was helping that Kiwi company with troubleshoot their app, that they flipped a switch on my account and that it never got reset back to normal. Which would be fine by me, as long as it stays that way :)

13 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Yes, I get all 6 channels. Live broadcast, Technical, BoatA-1, BoatA-2, BoatB-1, BoatB-2, all of it.

It is ~possible~ that back when I was helping that Kiwi company troubleshot some stuff, that they flipped a switch on my account and that it never got reset back to normal. Which would be fine by me, as long as it stays that way :)

Lucky! Even when I go through a VPN (tried Canada, Austria, and Singapore) when I click on 'Live broadcast' I'm only seeing Yacht-A:1 through to Yach-B:2. No regular broadcast stream. Experimentation suggests you have to have location services on to see any stream, so maybe they can still tell I'm in the US even with the VPN.

Just want to say that the direction and parts of the production on these broadcasts is straight trash. Why the fuck are we seeing crowd shots when there's crucial action going on? Why do we spend so much of the race unable to see course positions and distances? It's cool they have all these on-board cameras and everything, but they should put more effort into broadcasting it like a sport, rather than a youtube video marketing highlights.

4 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Does anyone have full race replays yet?

I'm scouring every source looking for replays as well....

1 hour ago, jawjaw said:

Lucky! Even when I go through a VPN (tried Canada, Austria, and Singapore) when I click on 'Live broadcast' I'm only seeing Yacht-A:1 through to Yach-B:2. No regular broadcast stream. Experimentation suggests you have to have location services on to see any stream, so maybe they can still tell I'm in the US even with the VPN.

Yes, I doubt that a VPN affects the location that iOS provides to the app.

There's a good chance my account was made location-agnostic back when I helped them debug a couple things, back-when.

5 minutes ago, jjhplus9 said:

In case all else fails: My guess is that you'll be able to purchase replays via the AC App for 99c each, once they are uploaded and made available. And watch that replay as often as you like.

6 minutes ago, jjhplus9 said:

Watching on tv.youtube.com now. I saw the first and then the last 2 live. Had to go in the middle. Very easy and great on youtube tv.

6 minutes ago, nroose said:

Watching on tv.youtube.com now. I saw the first and then the last 2 live. Had to go in the middle. Very easy and great on youtube tv.

Can't do tv.youtube.com from the U.K. (Even with vpn)

anyone else got them elsewhere?

Just signed up for youtube tv too. I've set it to record from no on, but is there a way to get recordings from today's races?

9 minutes ago, jjhplus9 said:

Can't do tv.youtube.com from the U.K. (Even with vpn)

anyone else got them elsewhere?

Make sure the VPN is based in NY, LA, SF, CHI, or PHI - those are the only places YT TV is offered, so a VPN elsewhere in the US won't do. Maybe it won't work even with a VPN in those locations, but worth a shot.

16 minutes ago, ozchrisb said:

Just signed up for youtube tv too. I've set it to record from no on, but is there a way to get recordings from today's races?

Some shows can be watched after broadcast even if you haven't recorded them, but I'm not sure this is one, unfortunately.

Also, FYI, there are shows called both 'America's Cup' and 'America's Cup: Fleet Racing'. Make sure you set both to record - today's was under the 'Fleet Racing' name, which is dumb but that's how it is. The June 2nd racing seems to be scheduled under the other one. Not sure about other days.

19 minutes ago, ozchrisb said:

They are all listed for me. If you search for "America's Cup" you get a page full of videos and list of scheduled ones.

https://tv.youtube.com/search?q=americas cup

7 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

Some shows can be watched after broadcast even if you haven't recorded them, but I'm not sure this is one, unfortunately.

Also, FYI, there are shows called both 'America's Cup' and 'America's Cup: Fleet Racing'. Make sure you set both to record - today's was under the 'Fleet Racing' name, which is dumb but that's how it is. The June 2nd racing seems to be scheduled under the other one. Not sure about other days.

Yup saw that. 

8 minutes ago, nroose said:

They are all listed for me. If you search for "America's Cup" you get a page full of videos and list of scheduled ones.

https://tv.youtube.com/search?q=americas cup

That's what I did, but I don't see today's races in the list, only Sunday onwards. And "Fleet Racing" umm yeah good start NBC Sports.

4 minutes ago, ozchrisb said:

That's what I did, but I don't see today's races in the list, only Sunday onwards. And "Fleet Racing" umm yeah good start NBC Sports.

That 3 hours of fleet racing from 4 hours ago is today's racing. If you care about a few letters, you are going to have a hard time getting through life.

Stingers,

As you are one of those who has the App do they show Full Replay Days? They did for the ACWS per a friend of mine.

Where to watch replays?

i watched it using sky go. all was good.. there was little to no virtual eye bits. it would have been nice to show that sometimes.. we got overlay data, but no top down views to show how overtaking was done

not a fan of the ken guy commentating - but that is because i am from NZ and he is an oracle fan.

its almost worth just listening to a live NZ audio feed and then watching virtual eye on the app..

love seeing the boats though. sky feed is 40 seconds behind the virtual eye...

20 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Stingers,

As you are one of those who has the App do they show Full Replay Days? They did for the ACWS per a friend of mine.

I don't see it yet but expect them to be available starting shortly. Will post back about that.

7 minutes ago, starlyte said:

i watched it using sky go. all was good.. there was little to no virtual eye bits. it would have been nice to show that sometimes.. we got overlay data, but no top down views to show how overtaking was done

not a fan of the ken guy commentating - but that is because i am from NZ and he is an oracle fan.

its almost worth just listening to a live NZ audio feed and then watching virtual eye on the app..

love seeing the boats though. sky feed is 40 seconds behind the virtual eye...

Pretty sure Sky Go is showing exactly the same 'world feed' as everywhere else - same data overlay, etc.

Virtual eye was also ahead of NBC. Not sure if by more or less and Sky Go, but maybe I'll compare the two tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

Pretty sure Sky Go is showing exactly the same 'world feed' as everywhere else - same data overlay, etc.

Virtual eye was also ahead of NBC. Not sure if by more or less and Sky Go, but maybe I'll compare the two tomorrow.

Im going to see if i can pause sky go and play it behind.. try and line it up with virtual eye.

Last time when TVNZ covered, we had kiwi commentators which was nice

^The problem is that sky is already behind. If you pause it it's just going to get further behind. What you need is to pause virtual eye, which I don't think works.

And yeah, I'd take just about anything over Ken Read, too.

7 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

^The problem is that sky is already behind. If you pause it it's just going to get further behind. What you need is to pause virtual eye, which I don't think works.

And yeah, I'd take just about anything over Ken Read, too.

oh doh.. i was thinking backwards :(

does anyone know if you can watch races after they're completed on the stupid fucking useless piece of shit app? or did i pay only to be able to access the content live (ie. when i'm busy doing other stuff like sailing)...

Just now, Rudder_NZ said:

Does this have the replay of today's races?

Yes

2 minutes ago, nroose said:

Yes

Looks like I need to set up a vpn and give it a try.

8 minutes ago, nroose said:

Yes

Are you sure that's true for everyone, and it's not just the case that you've set it to record AC broadcasts when they air?

4 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

Are you sure that's true for everyone, and it's not just the case that you've set it to record AC broadcasts when they air?

I signed up for youtube tv last night. I heard the ad that says you can record stuff. But I am not sure what they mean. I may have clicked on a + sign on the listing for that video before it played. That seems like it would be a bad UI decision. Youtube doesn't usually require anything like that. So, I am not sure. I certainly don't have it recorded on my computer.

21 minutes ago, nroose said:

I signed up for youtube tv last night. I heard the ad that says you can record stuff. But I am not sure what they mean. I may have clicked on a + sign on the listing for that video before it played. That seems like it would be a bad UI decision. Youtube doesn't usually require anything like that. So, I am not sure. I certainly don't have it recorded on my computer.

Yeah, that plus sign is how you add it to your record list. They probably calling it 'subscribing' to that show, but I'm not totally sure. If you click 'library' at the top it'll take you to everything you've recorded. There are some shows for which everyone can see past broadcasts, but I'm not sure that the AC is one of them. So the fact that you're seeing it won't necessarily mean others can.

To me this just highlights that there should be a way to share recordings. They already have it on their servers - why can't you or I (or anyone else who has it recorded) share that recording with other subscribers who forgot to record it? Seems dumb.

Virtual eye replays are up. I can see every race on the ios app, although can't figure out how to switch races when viewing on the website.

^ Click on the 'finished' button for the race you want to watch, and then pick the Virtual Eye tab from within the race result page.  Terrible UX, but that's not unexpected at this point.

EDIT: even that doesn't seem to work.

8 hours ago, chocoa said:

Oracle are total ingrates for racing in the Louis Vuitton challenger series.

BIG, big advantage to the, Defenders. Who negotiated that fuck-up again? Oh that's right. The Aussies went bush.

Anyone have a link to a replay of the racing? Thanks

Stingers,

I have to say my capper over on HD-SportBits seems to be a pretty reliable one. I just got the Full Recording from BT Sport 1 from yesterday. It's 2:47 Hours long, commercials are edited out. Unfortunately I'm prohibited to share with SA otherwise I get banned from HD-SportBits.

FYI ....  I posted awhile back about a deal that was available for "DIRECT TV NOW" = 200+ channels for $35 a month all-up

This morning I found that  NBC-SN is one of them 

I have it on my 4K PC Monitor (Don't use the smart TV stuff) as well as my phone & tablet

I'll be turning wrenches on a Harley today but might as well let it run on the tablet

of note DIRECT TV NOW won't run on phone or tablet unless you enable Location (I leave it Off less I need it)

But it works on my PC so what does that tell you about yer privacy on a home 

I won't stop what I'm doing to watch but if I can be where-ever I would otherwise and have it on I'll do that

in hopes that Ben saws ORACLE in quarters,  too bad RC can't be on the rail !!!!!

Youtube.tv has a 30 day free trial.   Sign in with your Google account and set your cc number for payment of $35 a month after the trial. 

Anybody have a live feed without the permanent wind whistle and clicking?? I am on the technical feed on the app, to Chromecast.

3 minutes ago, db7 said:

Anybody have a live feed without the permanent wind whistle and clicking?? I am on the technical feed on the app, to Chromecast.

My thoughts are WTF, how much more would cost to filter that out ??

I think they are trying to emulate the excitement of a police chase view from a helicopter with the high-pitched screeching noise 

there is a filter that cut it out 100% it can be found on yer remote

look for the button that says MUTE ;)

Awesome solution.  Works in Aus.

Seems that I was more interested in gaining access to it without paying Fox, than I was in watching.

51 minutes ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Here are some replays. Download and watch in VLC. 
Sorry. My recording failed for the first and last race.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Here are some replays.
Sorry. My recording failed for the first and last race.

Thank you so much for this.

6 minutes ago, InnerVoid said:

Thank you so much for this.

No problem. I will upload more tomorrow. Check out this thread. 

3 hours ago, generative.design said:

Thanks!

Thanks for these. Great.

On 2017-5-27 at 4:36 PM, TurmoilJ said:

If you have the error I saw this will make sense: click on the debug button on the error window; then delete the highlighted line of code. At this point you can click the green arrow at the top of the VBA window and all should be good. Or for a more permanent fix so you don't have to do that each time you open the file, click the square (stop) to end the program and then save. 

Mike has uploaded a new file that fixes the problem I had.It's on the same link. You have it if the file name is Tactical Seagull C.

I've tried Mike's spreadsheet, that looks like a serious piece of work, nice !! 

However i use a Mac at home, and I'm not coming into work at 5am to watch the racing. Have Sky NZ, it's ok-ish, the cuts to the "bored crowd" scenes, where the peeps are all looking at their phones, presumably also trying to get the app to work, and downloading Mike Drummond's spreadsheet instead, are amusing at first.....

Really miss having a virtual eye to watch beside the video, especially when the video cuts at the interesting bits... The A/C app doesn't provide this in NZ it seems, thanks, pricks, but the streaming data is available. Has anyone found any other sites that a Mac using IT illiterate can use to view a virtual eye type display?

3 hours ago, Nodrog said:

I've tried Mike's spreadsheet, that looks like a serious piece of work, nice !! 

However i use a Mac at home, and I'm not coming into work at 5am to watch the racing. Have Sky NZ, it's ok-ish, the cuts to the "bored crowd" scenes, where the peeps are all looking at their phones, presumably also trying to get the app to work, and downloading Mike Drummond's spreadsheet instead, are amusing at first.....

Really miss having a virtual eye to watch beside the video, especially when the video cuts at the interesting bits... The A/C app doesn't provide this in NZ it seems, thanks, pricks, but the streaming data is available. Has anyone found any other sites that a Mac using IT illiterate can use to view a virtual eye type display?

I did try it on a Mac (we are a mixed household), but unfortunately it loads read-only and says it needs several Win specific bits...and I doubt a port is simple.

Today we raced the Oceanside to San Diego race.  None of the 8 on board watched the races, most did not know they were going on, certainly nobody commented on them.

This AC said it was going to be "new", and it certainly is.  It is "new" for sailors to not give a shit about the America's Cup.

18 minutes ago, TurmoilJ said:

I did try it on a Mac (we are a mixed household), but unfortunately it loads read-only and says it needs several Win specific bits...and I doubt a port is simple.

Mixed household? I'm married to vietnamese but marrying a mac user?

That's some crazy shit!

Actually the main mix in our marriage is transatlantic, and it pre-dates Macs:)

Geoff Waller's utube channel has a mix of vid summary's that are also worth a view... Michael Douglas being the tourism chump of Bermuda it seems....lol

Spanish TV is not broadcasting the races live....:angry:

5 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Spanish TV is not broadcasting the races live....:angry:

They did yesterday - with no commercial breaks :). Are you saying they won't today?

21 hours ago, Rudder_NZ said:

I'm hoping not, but you "might" get a tap on the shoulder about this, just remember, everyone in the thread is able and happy to receive PMs from you :)

Or just go the torrent option.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:27 AM, db7 said:

FFS It's easier getting a broadcast of junior curling from Korea.

No kidding!

This media coverage if full-on Amateur Hour!

Here's a great idea: let's grow the sport and pump up interest in AC by making it impossible to watch! Good idea! Good idea!

On 5/27/2017 at 10:40 PM, jjhplus9 said:

that would be nice. would like to watch the ETNZ ORACLE one.

because currently, I feel like we have gone backwards from the pinnacle of spectator sailing, AC34.

I only say this, because guess what, i can see Oracle vs ETNZ, in san francisco, every minute of all 19 races 

2 hours ago, Flags said:

I'm hoping not, but you "might" get a tap on the shoulder about this, just remember, everyone in the thread is able and happy to receive PMs from you :)

how does one search for sailing torrents..it's not like we normally want to watch old stuff!

the cycling equivalent has been very 'successful' http://www.cyclingtorrents.nl/login.php?returnto=%2F

On 5/29/2017 at 5:32 AM, Rudder_NZ said:

How did the recording go today?

8 hours ago, shebeen said:

how does one search for sailing torrents..

You post them to a well known forum of all-sports completed streams like Rojadirecta from where you could download all the qualifying, practice and full race sessions in 1080p FHD goodness for the Indy 500 + Monaco GP as well as the FA Cup final just this weekend alone. Lots of rugby, futbol, baseball, NASCAR, tennis, boxing, MMA, MotoGP, DTM, WSBK... even cycling races on there. Just no sailing yet. That needs to change.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:14 PM, Chainlocker said:

If you want to see all of the racing, the app is the only way to go in the US. If you have an Android device with HDMI out or casting (wired best) then you can watch everything on a regular - larger size TV.

The NBC family of OA, cable and streaming networks will not devote the time to broadcast a full sailing regatta, let alone races of "foreign" boats.

The LV final coverage will depend on the teams involved, but to see every race, again the app, coverage will be split between NBCSports on cable and the streaming service.

The entire AC (Finals) will be on NBC this year with poorly placed commercial breaks (like roundings, crossings or whenever something important happens) so the app again is the best for "raw coverage".

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but how does the app work?  I'm happy to pay for it.  Is it a fee for the entire regatta or do you pay for each race?  I do the same for the Tour de France - i.e. buy the whole tour package on the NBC website so I can run it on my big TV in HD.  Is there anyway to get the full coverage on a Mac (or PC) rather than a tablet or phone?  I want to be able to do HDMI streaming to get a better pic.  

Does the app let you go back and watch replays so I don't have to sit and watch live if I'm in bed when the racing is going on?

I have VPN for pretty much any country, so if needed - I can go that route too.  

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Flags said:

Me too!! 

On 5/27/2017 at 2:30 PM, nroose said:

That 3 hours of fleet racing from 4 hours ago is today's racing. If you care about a few letters, you are going to have a hard time getting through life.

Yes, asking someone who's is charging me money for something to get the label correct is a completely unreasonable expectation. Let's hope I can overcome the incompetence I'm surrounded by and make my way in the world...

On 2017-5-29 at 5:40 PM, TurmoilJ said:

They did yesterday - with no commercial breaks :). Are you saying they won't today?

I guess during the weekend they were more on the football (Estudio Estadio) and other weekend sports. The last couple of days they've been good boys.:rolleyes:

Okay so today being a planned layday are the races going to be shown live on any of the links posted in this thread?  I don't see it on any of the schedules

12 minutes ago, LoopyGirdleSniffer said:

Okay so today being a planned layday are the races going to be shown live on any of the links posted in this thread?  I don't see it on any of the schedules

BT Sport, who are showing the AC in the UK, have it in today's schedule.

2 minutes ago, marlowe said:

BT Sport, who are showing the AC in the UK, have it in today's schedule.

got a link

NBCSN lists todays racing beginning at 11:00 am Mountain Daylight Time.  The schedule updated only ten minutes ago to show racing in place of the Mecum Auto Auction.

Has anyone else been having all sorts of trouble getting into Live Virtualeye feeds?

Seems to get stuck a lot on the first page saying there is no connection.

Sometimes mashing the Live button eventually works but doesn't seem particularly reliable, took me till about half way through the Basher Ben vs ETNZ race to get in, completely missed OR-JPN vs GTF.

1 hour ago, hoom said:

Has anyone else been having all sorts of trouble getting into Live Virtualeye feeds?

Seems to get stuck a lot on the first page saying there is no connection.

Sometimes mashing the Live button eventually works but doesn't seem particularly reliable, took me till about half way through the Basher Ben vs ETNZ race to get in, completely missed OR-JPN vs GTF.

Yup, that happens to me as well.  I have to hit the live button a few times before connecting, which doesn't always work and get nothing. 

I wish they could allow the progress bar at the bottom to rewind while in the prestart, so that I can sync with the live TV coverage before the start.  Right now, I am waiting for the on screen TV timer to hit 0:00 and then drag the the VirtualEye progress indicator to the far left to sync it.  Doing it this way, I have to keep VirtualEye out of view up to that point,  so that I don't ruin what's happening on TV. 

Haven't used VE in a while but iirc it does several separate downloads if it needs to refresh terrain or other data so you have to be patient if things went stale on you.

There is also a way to up the memory allowed to the player, whatever it's called, WebGL or Unity or some such.

So, up until now I've been able to access Virtual Eye player via app on Android. It updated today, and now there's no sign of virtual player in the app any more. Anyone got any idea where this is accessed now? Is there a PC/web option?

Today I can't get into the Historical races, just gets stuck on Loading :wacko:

24 minutes ago, hoom said:

To err is human, to fuck something up completely requires ACEA...

27 minutes ago, hoom said:

Same for me.

And the new stats info in results on americascup.com is a mess. We're a week into the competition!

Butbutbut this is the highest techest bestest most viewerfriendlyest AC evar!

Watch the racing from the comfort of your bed on the Mobdro app for android. Works really well*, with minimal ads that don't interrupt the viewing. Much more pleasant experience than using a browser and some of the streams are quite high quality.

*I've been reliably informed by "a friend"

Anyone having luck with Virtualeye today?