Sign in to follow this  
crc1965

NKE Gyropilot settings/adjustment

I have a NKE Gyropilot which has worked nicely out of box...but trying to wring a little more performance out of it. For anyone with this pilot can you share.....my boat is a J/88 light not ultralight planing hull (uses an asym kite)

Dead angle....what do you set it to/when why

Wind dampening...when do you use auto when do you use a setting?

Counter rudder....when do you use auto when a setting?

Rudder coef. (this causes rudder to move less at higher boat speeds.....seems to be a little counter to gain....) how when do you balance this vs gain.....

I have done a lot of searches and can't find details on this....apologies if I am posting something already covered.

I am trying to setup 9 pre set functions for Upwind, Reaching, Downwind in Light/Medium/Heavy conditions....

I think all you really need is a rudder coefficient setting for displacement mode and planing mode, maybe change wind dampening for sea state as well. The quick access gain setting with auto counter rudder will cover the response effort for the point of sail and conditions. Don't think more than that will yield a lot. The manual says a Figaro2 would be rudder coefficient of 15.

I think the HR pilot has a lot more types of behavior settings for the level of customization you're suggesting

Just my 2 cents

Was that French or English?

I disagree that gain is the only thing to worry about. The other parameters drive the behavior a lot more and once you get the hang of it, you can reduce power consumption by 50% and still keep the big kite up in 20 knots of wind with the pilot steering.

Basic rules we use on the mini:

Gain: light winds 1-3, medium winds 4-6, proper wind, 7-9. It basically controls, how often per second the pilot will make course changes. Watch your power consumption when you increase this.

Rudder coeff. should be 1.5 to 2x boat speed. Don't set to anything higher than 18 (at least on the mini). It might break your rudder setup.
Counter rudder: You can leave this at Auto most of the time, in which case it is the same value as gain. When downwind or reaching in heavy sea state, I tend to set it to Gain+1 or even +2.
Wind damping: low winds 3 (sec), then work your way down to 1 second for high winds and sea state. You can also use auto, in which case it will again be the same as Gain.

Mode:

Upwind, AWA obviously works best, for reaching I recommend Compass mode or AWA, for downwind it depends on the sea state, AWA or TWA.
In the very light, try compass mode or even rudder angle mode and trim the spi manually, works a treat!

I did not go through the trouble of preprogramming the settings, just have a laminated settings sheet in the cockpit and tweak the settings for the conditions i'm in at the moment.