• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

I am considering an Ultimate 20 for my next boat. Would be racing PHRF in bay conditions with winds mostly 10-15 some chop also lake racing on Wednesday.

Crew is inexperienced so looking for easy to handle, stable platform.

Thoughts on the boat from anyone with experience.

Similar size options in the under $20K price range.

I've taken people who never sailed before and flew the asym in planning conditions 15+ knots. Very easy boat to learn and maintain.

The boat is light so chop greater than 3' can start to become a nuisance. It's also overpowered at 15 knots so you'll want meat on the rail and to reef the main until you're more comfortable.

Wonderful boat for your needs. Good luck.

Pretty much dead. Maybe 14 boats at a national championship. Great boat, but the competition has moved on (ie, Bostons). Heck, the lowly J24 still attracts way more competitors than that. If racing is your game, best to look elsewhere.

NA's was a little light due to the location on the West Coast and folks not being able to travel.  The fleet is alive and well.  Boston's still sail in the NA's and are already on the board for 2018.  Expect good numbers as it's in a central (East/West) location. Great sailors in the fleet.  Very competitive racing.  You don't have to buy a new set of sails every year either.  Still a great boat! 

Viper 640's are awesome.  Choose if you want to hike and be wet or not.    I like the idea of towing a viper behind a 4 cylinder car, but my family won't go with me on a viper.  I can take them on the U20 no problem.   Different animals. 

As for boats for sale, we usually have a few in the spring (5 or 6) and they dry up by mid summer.  Get them while their available. :)

Hey I still sail the boat! The last few regattas have been on conflicted dates with some other programs I sail on. I am planning on both Kansas events and then I really hope to be back in NC for the two winter events.

The 20 is a great boat and is still probably my favorite of the 20'er sport boats. Yes the #'s are down but the boat and the people in the boat are awesome and that is why I continue to go back!
Cheers

Owned one for 8 years and would recommend them to anyone who wants a friendly, fun group to sail with.  The boat is very easy to take out friends on and sail with a kite up in 1-15 kts of breeze. Still think about getting another one almost every Spring. Our kids grew up on ours and we had some really great days of family sailing and competitive OD racing. Not a Viper 640 or VX One style boat but it's got a great niche and a reasonably skilled U20 OD skipper can do well in PHRF with one. Easily double handed too.

Sailed U20 #121 for 10 years with my teenage kids in the Midwest and on the West Coast.  Great OD class! Great fun sailing PHRF too. Even great just going out for a daysail.  The U20 is fast and fun.