Bull City

Escape summer heat

Summer in North Carolina is a hot beast. I hate it. This afternoon, we already had 90º temperatures. I would like to get away for a month, say July or August, and go someplace that is cool and not crowded.

Ireland, Scotland would be grand. Southern hemisphere is entirely doable. Spanish speaking country is OK too.

I am a 68 year old fart with an understanding wife.

Any suggestions?

Gasp!

If you want to go somewhere cooler and inexpensive, consider a charter out of the Apostle Islands, Lake Superior. There is something really cool about sailing on crystal clear fresh water (June - August).

For somewhere cooler and expensive come down here to Australia and charter in the Whitsunday Islands. (July-October).

It is very hard to go wrong with Ireland and Scotland.

Celtic lands are magic.

Norway is also lovely.

Newfoundland.

The mood will be set at the airport when the friendliest clerk in the world takes three hours to get you your rental car. And that's when you take a deep breath and say, "Shit happens when it happens." And then you are ready for Newfoundland.

Rain every third day, often followed by two days of rain. Good beer (made with iceberg water!) Great people. You absolutely can not be in a hurry.

This year, Canada is 150 years old, but that hardly matters to a sizeable minority of Newfoundlanders, who are sure the referendum to join Canada was fixed. Long live the Republic of Newfoundland! You can buy the flag. Hunt around, and someone will probably sell you one of the Republic's bonds, too. At less than par.

Gros Morne in the west. Twillingate and Fogo, central. The Avalon peninsula in the east. And, just for fun, you can take a boat to France for a day!

Some of the residents speak English. Nobody's quite sure what the others speak.

Essential reading before you go: Baltimore's Mansion, by Wayne Johnston.

• Like 1

+1

All park fees are waved this year in the Great White North because of the. 150 celebration. I'm thinking about doing the Trent Severn waterway this summer.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/trentsevern/

Free 150 Discover pass

http://www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/parksb2c

If you want to go somewhere cooler and inexpensive, consider a charter out of the Apostle Islands, Lake Superior. There is something really cool about sailing on crystal clear fresh water (June - August).

For somewhere cooler and expensive come down here to Australia and charter in the Whitsunday Islands. (July-October).

OMG yes. I was thinking north shore of Superior just now. Late July, August cool and warm enough. Gets warm late up there. Really any place in the upper Great Lakes is much nicer than NC in summer. Sitting in Durham today back home its in the cool 60s in the day time.Thats the night time low here. Comments I'm hearing her are already about "what's coming", The OBX could be a get away. Or up to Flat Top in summer cooler up there.

The Canadian maritimes are a great to visit in late Summer.

Newfoundland.

The mood will be set at the airport when the friendliest clerk in the world takes three hours to get you your rental car. And that's when you take a deep breath and say, "Shit happens when it happens." And then you are ready for Newfoundland.

Rain every third day, often followed by two days of rain. Good beer (made with iceberg water!) Great people. You absolutely can not be in a hurry.

This year, Canada is 150 years old, but that hardly matters to a sizeable minority of Newfoundlanders, who are sure the referendum to join Canada was fixed. Long live the Republic of Newfoundland! You can buy the flag. Hunt around, and someone will probably sell you one of the Republic's bonds, too. At less than par.

Gros Morne in the west. Twillingate and Fogo, central. The Avalon peninsula in the east. And, just for fun, you can take a boat to France for a day!

Some of the residents speak English. Nobody's quite sure what the others speak.

Essential reading before you go: Baltimore's Mansion, by Wayne Johnston.

Agreed. Nicest people on the planet. Come to Newfie, but don't tell anyone else, it's starting to get discovered. Make sure to get Screeched in. If you are on the Bonavista Peninsula during the last week of July or first week of August, stop by for a meal of fresh cod and scrunchions.

• Like 1

Bull, if you come through Montreal in your travels, you are always invited for a sail and a few beers

Since Newfoundland has been suggested (quite rightly), you may want to expand the cool options and go anywhere from Maine to Labrador. Hell, why not a northern cruise? On your own bottom or one chartered.

Summer in North Carolina is a hot beast. I hate it. This afternoon, we already had 90º temperatures. I would like to get away for a month, say July or August, and go someplace that is cool and not crowded.

Ireland, Scotland would be grand. Southern hemisphere is entirely doable. Spanish speaking country is OK too.

Any suggestions?

Gasp!

To think about spending a month somewhere exotic, I envy you! Here's my 2 cents:

While we've never been to Scotland in high summer we've made a few visits(daughter went to college there) in the shoulder season. I've never been hot in Scotland.

I especially love the Northern end of the Island, the Highlands, the coast, magnificent. This was Isle of Skye.

22393523065_69f95d743e_h.jpg

I'd be a bit leery (you might not) of going there in high season. Not for the weather, but for crowds and cost. It would be a challenge to find a month of lodging at an affordable rate in high season.

We travel pretty cheaply by going in the off season and spending time (and less$) off the beaten path. No crowds, more locals than tourists. AirBnB's are affordable, food is better and cheaper away from the hordes. We've never been able to spend more than a vacation week, though.

I'd recommend Maine highly, but I couldn't guarantee it won't be hot in mid-summer. We'll always have cool nights in July and August, but we can have days in a row hitting the 90's, and humid(I love the 'heat' here, but not everyone does). Not likely,...but it happens. Stay next to the water and you'll never be hot in Maine.

Even on a rare hot day in Maine, once the sun goes down, you put on a layer, and that feels good. Right now, I want to escape the freakin' cold and damp!

On cost: The coast of Maine is no deal compared to Scotland or Ireland, in high season. The farther downeast, the more affordable and cooler.

21748389630_8f48eefbed_h.jpg

We haven't been to Newfoundland but it would be a better bet for a guaranteed cool month, than Maine. Good knowledge from living nearby says Newfoundland is a great deal in cost. We're planning a trip soon.

You have some great suggestions here. Newfoundland is spectacular. Lake Superior is high on my list. However, what about The North Channel? Beautiful freshwater cruising. Good charter boats are available. Warm days, cool nights, perfect swimming water temperatures, blueberries, fishing, etc.

If not looking for a sailing holiday. Check out Cape Breton in Nova Scotia.

I also LOVE Nova Scotia. Especially Cape Breton.

PEI was also very nice, (except for the red mud all over the VW Vanagon.)

(This thread has SWMBO and me wanting to visit Newfoundland.)

Any suggestions?

Gasp!

Spanish speaking and cold is rather limited to the southern tip of South America!.

For somewhere Celtic but a bit warmer than Ireland, you can try Brittany. Some (but not all) places are crowded though. Temperatures rarely exceed 80ºF.

Another vote for the North Channel of Lake Huron. Good charter options, rocks, fantastic scenery and sailing, wilderness, clear water, rocks, friendly people. I chartered there one year and haul my 4 ksb up there from Texas each summer for a few weeks of sailing. If you charter, getting there from Toronto or Sudbury can be a chore. I can give you the name of a car service that will deliver you to the charter base.

Funny note. I was looking at the user-added notes in Navionics for the North Channel and someone added a note near a rock that basically said, "there's a second rock here that isn't shown on the chart. I saw propeller pieces scattered around the rock."

Any suggestions?

Gasp!

Lucky you!

One of the two heaters has failed on my boat and I'm still waiting for it to be fixed. At 50N need heat late evening and early morning in what passes for Summer in the UK.

Charter a boat out of Comox (bonus Swain sighting) or Campbell River, and do the Broughtons.

http://www.canadianyachting.ca/destinations/canada/1726-north-of-desolation-sound-the-broughtons-for-beginners+

After 9 glorious summers of it, I can highly recommend.

I now understand "summer" as a verb.

Several years ago, 2009 I believe, we visited the Maine coast, went on a 5-day Windjammer cruise out of Camden, did L.L. Bean, and went to Monhegan Island. It was a wonderful time. Then, in 2014, on the shoulder season, we went to Nova Scotia, Halifax, Cape Breton, Louisbourg, and other places. We really enjoyed the people and places.

Newfoundland sounds very nice. Thinking about it, I was in Gander in 1959. I was 10, and my family was returning to the U.S. from Europe. Our plane stopped there to re-fuel. I remember nothing.

It looks like there are dozens, maybe hundreds of lakes. If any of you have ideas about itineraries or places to stay for at least several days, I would love to hear about them. We like to be able to visit local markets and do some cooking.

Several years ago, 2009 I believe, we visited the Maine coast, went on a 5-day Windjammer cruise out of Camden, did L.L. Bean, and went to Monhegan Island. It was a wonderful time. Then, in 2014, on the shoulder season, we went to Nova Scotia, Halifax, Cape Breton, Louisbourg, and other places. We really enjoyed the people and places.

Newfoundland sounds very nice. Thinking about it, I was in Gander in 1959. I was 10, and my family was returning to the U.S. from Europe. Our plane stopped there to re-fuel. I remember nothing.

It looks like there are dozens, maybe hundreds of lakes. If any of you have ideas about itineraries or places to stay for at least several days, I would love to hear about them. We like to be able to visit local markets and do some cooking.

You can buy cod, cabbage, potatoes and rum. Get creative.

Bull:

I don't want to monopolize this conversation, but I do know a few things about Newfoundland, having travelled there quite a bit in the last few years.

First, the bad news. Newfoundland is an island, and islands have food problems. I don't think I've ever seen a farmers market there; that doesn't mean they don't exist. And they do grow food, especially around Deer Lake. But most food you find will be in bog-standard supermarkets, and the produce... meh. St John's isn't too bad, but outside there, the choice isn't great. Lots of fish everywhere, though.

You mention lakes... a few hundred. Actually, there are a few hundred per hectare. Almost as many lakes as moose.

Places... Gros Morne National Park, near Deer Lake, in the west. You can fly into Deer Lake. The boat trip on Western Brook Pond is an absolute must. If you can do it on a clear morning after it rained the night before, all the better, as the waterfalls will be in full bloom. And you will understand the island's penchant for understatement: it's not a pond, it's a fjord. Warning: pick up your groceries in Deer Lake. Not much to be had in the park. Great seafood restaurant in Trout River. Not hard to find; there's not much else in Trout River.

If you haven't heard of the Fogo Island Inn, research it. Interesting story. Local girl makes good, invests millions into her home town. If you go, check out the Four Corners of the Earth.

There is sailing in Newfoundland, especially around St John's, and near Twillingate. Check and see if your club has reciprocals.

Better stop now or this entry will start to rival Go the Cone.

(I can do a pretty good travelogue on the Outer Banks, too. Loved it there.)

I'll add another vote for Lake Superior. I will even go further and say it's better cruising than the North Channel of Huron unless you like crowded, noisy anchorages & express power cruiser wakes, with a dash of PWC's. Better fishing too.

There's a few charter options out of Bayfield, one of them has a fleet of newer Jeanneau's that looked like they had their shit together. Never used them or know them from Adam but I liked the time I spent in Bayfield and kayaking around the Apostle's. It's about as good as cruising the US side of the Great Lakes can get. Load up on Wisconsin craft beer & brats, with a few pies that Oprah loves so much she has an unpaid intern drive them down to Chicago, and you're golden. Halfway through July to the end of August the temps sound like they would be perfect for you, 80's air temp allegedly but with 60's water temp and breezes and a helluva lot less humidity it's downright perfect for the extra long summer daylight hours.

Dunno about crossing international borders on a US charter boat, but the Canadian side of Superior is simply breathtaking. New England/Newfoundland levels of scenery with ZERO traffic. Or any level of serious support or provisioning outside of Thunder Bay, so double stock up on the Wisconsin beer & Oprah pies. But the cruising grounds are a barely scratched gem. The Slate Islands are a must do, hand feeding carrots to Caribou on a protected beach is hard to pass up.

A foodie-vinter trip would be the Gulf Islands and the small towns in Washington state. You couldn't see it all one trip. The bugs are not Ont-erribley bad. Rentals and charters on both borders.

scotland will do it for escaping the heat

mid summer

mooring near skye

but when scotland is good it is bloody wonderful

• Like 1

Dylan, the second video is absolutely beautiful. Thank you.

B.C.

Just to throw in a klinker, in case you and your wife would prefer a more cosmopolitan vacation, come west to San Diego anytime between July 4 and Labor Day. Bring a light jacket or sweater for the evenings when the marine layer builds along the coast. It generally burns off by 10:30 AM and then it's sunny and mid seventies with 70% relative humidity, lots of sail charter options, world class zoo, restaurants and some nice beaches (although the water isn't for the types that like bathtub temps). Most easterners (that's everyone on the other side of the Rockies) think of the place as tropical. It isn't. It's a desert on the shores of a cool body of water. Very different from anything you'll encounter on the East Coast.

Dylan, the second video is absolutely beautiful. Thank you.

B.C.

thanks old chap

I think that scotland would offer anyone a cultural experience that would remain with them for the rest of their lives.

I would rent a car and drive around - use a smart phone to book places to stay as you go

D

Dylan and Kris C,

I think Scotland is ON, but for the shoulder season, or the full off season. We went to Ireland in February, and it was a blast. Right now we're doing some serious looking at Newfoundland for this summer.

BTW, Kris, the two pics you posted were terrific. The lobsters and wine, well, they just said eat me. One day on our last trip to Maine, I think I had three lobbies, a bottle of prosecco, with a few hot dogs, in one day.

The Isle of Skye beckoned me. I've always wanted to see Scapa Flow, where the British Fleet was based during WWI. Should be a piece of cake to get there.

B.C.

Scapa flow is an amazing place to sail

here is a bit of a film about the place

Orkney also has some wonderful beaches - they are like dynamic sculptures and you will never meet anyone else on them

the wild flowers in mid summer are also astonishing

there are some more films about Orkney made by some jowly old english wit and sailor somewhere on the web

D

Never came up with a plan for this summer, but booked a cottage in Vermont on Lake Champlain for a couple of weeks next summer. Would love to find a daysailer to go with it.

We plan no sailing in August and only change plans if the weather looks extra nice. We sometimes get a cold front and nice wind, but otherwise take the month off. Not every summer, but many, we go to Maine. I can say it is a ton of fun to get up first thing, ride a bike to the corner store, and grab a paper to read about the heat wave back in DC while you drink a coffee to warm up :D

As for Scotland or Ireland, for a short vacation trip, even in August, it is entirely possible to have cold rainy windy weather the ENTIRE TIME. My first trip for the summer as a wee lad I brought Maryland summer clothes and spent a ton of my cash on things like wool sweaters and long pants :rolleyes:

Also been in northern Scotland without a cloud in the sky and it was light something like 20 hours a day :D

We had a great time in Maine several years ago: 5-day Windjammer cruise, side trip to Monhegan Island, LL Bean, lobstas, clams.

Got to spend the summer at my cottage in NW LP Michigan last year from May-Sept due to a mix of weird reasons that I won't delve into.

Arrived at the cottage mid May and it smelled like a house living on Lake MI that's been closed up for 7 months so I cranked open all the windows and kicked on the furnace while I got the fireplaces going.

The windows were only closed twice the whole time due to storms. Most mornings involved stoking up a fire in the early AM before going fishing and letting it burn out by 10AM. It would hit 70 by noon and my dog and I would go for a swim. Damn that was great.

I can't do it this year as my role at work has changed and I'm 'people facing' again. Damn. That means working directly with leaders.

I hate 'leaders'. I'm a process tinkerer, not a politician.

Austin, I hear you bruddah. I used to be a relationship manager/consultative sales type in financial services, aka commercial banking. Then I was a marketing analyst for senior management in a chemical firm. Loved it. Then they wanted me to be a corporate cop -> end of love affair, retirement -> happiness, sailing. Kiss, kiss. Hug, hug.

Summer Heat.

It is so fucking hot here. This is NORTH Carolina and it's 100+ F degrees, as in Fucking Fahrenheit.

I would pay good money for that Delaware-size ice berg.

I just had to put a sweatshirt on. You don't need to go to all this trouble.

6 hours ago, Bull City said:

Summer Heat.

It is so fucking hot here. This is NORTH Carolina and it's 100+ F degrees, as in Fucking Fahrenheit.

I would pay good money for that Delaware-size ice berg.

Bull,

I should have responded earlier. But it is never too late ... come to Sweden! This weekend we are sailing in the Stockholm archipelago, today (Sat) it is forecasted to be 20-21 centigrade and tomorrow we will be hit by a heatwave getting 22 centigrade. You do not have to invest in any icebergs, just come.
If you do, you are invited for a sail in the archipelago.

Do not consider Scotland or Ireland, that's crowded.

In the south of Sweden there is the annual H-boat regatta 3-6 August (in Båstad, a small and lovely town, unfortunately crowded with riches from .... Stockholm). The race will be in open sea, ie not shielded by any islands (as there are none in that area).

BTW, there is a list of prejudice views on boat owners. On H-boats owners it says:
"H-båt: Duktiga seglare som aldrig kör motor. De enda seglarna som tränar innan en regatta. Älskar motvind. Kör franska småbilar."

(simple translated to: H-boat. Good sailors who never use the engine. The only sailors who practice prior to a regatta. Loves head wind. Drives small French cars. )

//J

Canada is fine... gulf of St Lawrence...Quebec, The Labrador.

The Baltic Sea ..Denmark, sweden , Finland , Russia....are fantastic during high summer. 

On 7/13/2017 at 9:48 PM, Bull City said:

Never came up with a plan for this summer, but booked a cottage in Vermont on Lake Champlain for a couple of weeks next summer. Would love to find a daysailer to go with it.

Where on the lake? We used to sail there out of Charlotte Vermont. 

By the way, I'm sitting in my kitchen in Rockport Me., with a jacket on,....

Kris,

The cottage is tiny. It's in North Hero, on the west bank(?) of the island. Looks to be about 20 miles north of Charlotte. There's a marina about a mile away, and it looks like they have a 23' Blue Jacket for rent (fin keel, fractional rig). I think it would be perfect.

I am sitting in my air-conditioned den with shorts on, drinking ice water with lemon. I played soccer this morning with my old fart friends, and my piss has been practically brown. So there!:P

B.C.

Bull City - I'm also in NC. I feel your pain.

If you can still get away, the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound are bucket list worthy. Also, great for painting.

I am in Oriental, NC getting my standing rigging refitted. On Friday, 102 deg F in the shade according to the thermometer on the wall, Heat index was around 110 deg F. 

3 hours ago, TXFZ1 said:

I am in Oriental, NC getting my standing rigging refitted. On Friday, 102 deg F in the shade according to the thermometer on the wall, Heat index was around 110 deg F. 

How's the sailing in Pamlico Sound? Enjoyable?

I am looking for a boat and plan to keep it in Oriental.

I have not been able to get out on the sound yet, I mostly motored up the ICW to get here for the refit. Will sail the Neuse river to tune the rigging and if the wind is right, will sail across the sound when I go north.

The "wind tide" as Steam Flyer mentioned is really strange as it even affects the slip in the creek. 

On 4/21/2017 at 9:14 PM, Ishmael said:

Charter a boat out of Comox (bonus Swain sighting) or Campbell River, and do the Broughtons.

http://www.canadianyachting.ca/destinations/canada/1726-north-of-desolation-sound-the-broughtons-for-beginners+

Had to turn the heater on this morning, brrr....

Flights connect from Seattle and Van. 80 bucks...rental boats in Comox.

The trwler behind us had a whale scoop baitfish right beside the boat! The whale bubbled them to the surface.

We saw 12 eagles and many seagulls going at the herring on the surface.

Just after we got shit for tacking into the Orca santuary from the warden, a cruise ship transiting from Blackfish Channel blows right through it!!

I had to put socks on this morning. First time in months. It was 63 degs F in my office. 78 was the high yesterday. Perfect.

A summer visit to Puget Sound and the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival is definitely on the bucket list. I hope to meet up with you PNW mugs.:D

On 7/16/2017 at 8:14 AM, ptm said:

Bull City - I'm also in NC. I feel your pain.

If you can still get away, the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound are bucket list worthy. Also, great for painting.

We're doing next week on Orcas in part to investigate San Juan Islands /PNW as potential retirement landing spot...

What is the opposite of a Snow Bird, i.e. one who flees the South during summer?

On 7/17/2017 at 6:29 PM, Crash said:

We're doing next week on Orcas in part to investigate San Juan Islands /PNW as potential retirement landing spot...

Lucky you. I'll see you there (when I am retired). In the summer, there is no more beautiful place on earth. 

On 7/15/2017 at 3:50 AM, Jaramaz said:

Bull,

I should have responded earlier. But it is never too late ... come to Sweden! This weekend we are sailing in the Stockholm archipelago, today (Sat) it is forecasted to be 20-21 centigrade and tomorrow we will be hit by a heatwave getting 22 centigrade. You do not have to invest in any icebergs, just come.
If you do, you are invited for a sail in the archipelago.

Do not consider Scotland or Ireland, that's crowded.

In the south of Sweden there is the annual H-boat regatta 3-6 August (in Båstad, a small and lovely town, unfortunately crowded with riches from .... Stockholm). The race will be in open sea, ie not shielded by any islands (as there are none in that area).

BTW, there is a list of prejudice views on boat owners. On H-boats owners it says:
"H-båt: Duktiga seglare som aldrig kör motor. De enda seglarna som tränar innan en regatta. Älskar motvind. Kör franska småbilar."

(simple translated to: H-boat. Good sailors who never use the engine. The only sailors who practice prior to a regatta. Loves head wind. Drives small French cars. )

//J

//J, that is a lovely invitation. Thank you. My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Denmark a few years ago on a teacher exchange program, during April, and loved the people and the country. We spent most of the time in Arhus, a few days in Copenhagen, and a few days exploring western Denmark. I managed to go rowing a few times, but it was early for sailing.

I would love to visit you in Sweden during the summer and go sailing, but only if you can come here in the winter! I'll PM you. 

A few pics of the Arhus sailing scene in April (very cool):

H-Boat:

P1000280.JPG.jpg.667bbf1918275e64227c201a074ea5d8.jpg

P1000306.JPG.jpg.2d503d4c67d567a5e6f617cb2e402f5b.jpg

Folkboats:

P1000303.JPG.jpg.97e5083f75ca7b8dfe24135330c22b83.jpgP1000309.JPG.jpg.9ddca681feb8488c6eaf9d26d722252f.jpg

Aarhus is a lovely town, been the at a number of occasions. Also sailed to Aarhus some few times. The Danes ... have a specific affection for long and slim boats. Looks like they have got a H-boat fleet in Aarhus, probably have a good beer-can racing in the bay; they do like their beer as well.
The Danes do know how to make it nice, special word for that is "hygge" (which now also has a more specific meaning, often to enjoy a good meal with good drinking).

So some Danish in our harbour

Ylva.thumb.jpg.79824e455f2fd31b145fcb22c1f41a4a.jpg

The closest is a Ylva, which was a budget boat still very nice. Sails good. The owner has converted it with a self-tacking track (note its length), in order to maintain sail area he has moved the forestay forward (yes, originally it is further aft). Note also the grab rails on the fore deck ...
The boat to the left is a Luffe, very nice boats, nice proportions and well built. Costly, of course. This one is a Luffe 37.

To increase the attraction I also show one of the older boats in the harbour, a SK 75

SK75.thumb.jpg.0bc5f02faa41335f7b8929c85c056955.jpg

OK, I have shown it before - but this picture was taken today. Built 1896, I think it was.

And, BTW, no risk of sweating today: peak temp was 20 centigrade.

//J

//J, very nice. Thank you. What kind of boat is Ylva?

8 hours ago, Bull City said:

//J, very nice. Thank you. What kind of boat is Ylva?

Not sure on how to respond to this, it's like wanting to tell the long & complex story but knowing it will not attract much interest.

So, I try a brief (??) story instead: Ylva is the name of the model, the boat's name I do not know. It was designed early 1970-ies or late 1960-ies, yet another attempt to get a reasonable simple boat, yet fast. It does not belong to any specific class, certainly not a SK.

Guess measures are like

LOA     40 ft
LwL      < 30 ft, ie with some overhangs
width     ~ 2,2 m
draft      ~ 1.6 m
Main      ~ 25 sqm
jib              15 sqm ??

There is a bunch of other long & slim danes from about the same time, the BB 10m, the Afrodite 101 (by Elvström & Kjearulf), the Molich X (my favourite among these, but ... all are nice). Elvström and Kjearulf designed some other long & slim, but the 101 is exceptionally neat.

In Sweden others on the same concept were developed, as Safir and Smaragd (both derivatives from 5.5 m), the Wasa 55, Swede 55, S30, ... Lotus, C40, Carrera, Cayenne  ...  there were many. As for example the lovely Omega 42 by Peter Norlin. All these are in the 40 ft range or more.

Many of these are very elegant with their long lines. Sails beautifully, easy to handle when sailing and in harbour.

There are some downside with these as well. Let's not go there just now.

//J

//J, I've been looking at the Ylva, and I lust for one. I understand ylva means she-wolf, which seems apt. What's not to like? What are the downsides you mentioned? The running backstays?

ylva54.thumb.jpg.f0b509593889301a72b63ac7b78a7a5a.jpg

Ylva_DM_2014.thumb.JPG.f0b5eafdb9986455745d22b39c811f69.JPG

Summer heat ? was ~50F this morning:

in Morgan Hill, will be ~90F at 1700,

Alameda will be ~ 80 at same time,

Out around Berkeley Circle it's ~ 70F. 

Mavericks will be in 60's 

Take your pick

104F (40C) tomorrow, and I will on (and mostly in) the water.  Race Day is Sunday, and it will be a chilly 97F (36C).  Even with a decent breeze, it's a little like being blown around by a hair dryer.

Off to White Lake, MI next weekend, although I don't know if I'll be sailing (anybody need crew?)

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

//J, I've been looking at the Ylva, and I lust for one. I understand ylva means she-wolf, which seems apt. What's not to like? What are the downsides you mentioned? The running backstays?

ylva54.thumb.jpg.f0b509593889301a72b63ac7b78a7a5a.jpg

Ylva_DM_2014.thumb.JPG.f0b5eafdb9986455745d22b39c811f69.JPG

Hi Bull,

"Downsides" was a general remark. All these long & slim, of this generation, are
1) small inside. Ylva has about the same inside usable volume as your H-boat.
2) not as fast as expected. (compared to the H-boat  Ylva is about 15% faster)

Back-stays on a boat like this is not so critical, it is just one pair (to be correct, no check-stays). As you see from the drawing the back-stays is behind the boom, it is possible to tension one before letting the other go. Involuntary gybing - can be handled with a preventer, the main is not so large.

Fully understand your lust :rolleyes:. Without being any kind of expert on this ...

Prices start from around $10k. Just checked on one Danish site, one is for sale with asking price ~ $35k, this is exceptionally high. OTOH the owner claims no racing sails for >$6k (never used, of course) and a new Yanmar, un-mounted, is also in the package (the old one still works, but is weak). As these are old boats, interest has declined, many owners want to pull out, I think it should be possible to get one for below $ 20k. Then condition of engine and sails play a role.

In total I thing about 100 were made, the first wooden. Original engine is probably a small 1-cyl thing (typical Danish, take the smallest possible engine).

Propose you have a look on the BB 10m and Molich X, as well as the Aphrodite 101. Think a 101 was mentioned in one thread on SA to be on sale in the US.

//J

So, SWMBO and I have booked a cottage on Lake Champlain on North Hero for a couple of weeks next summer to escape the dreadful North Carolina heat. We're planning  some sailing & biking. I'm thinking of bringing my Peinert 26 scull. Is this a good idea? If so, where should I launch?

Summer Heat Update:

Mrs. B.C. and just arrived at North Hero Island, Vermont for a week. Our cottage overlooks Lake Champlain. A sailboat is almost always in view. I am drinking a beer. I think we'll rent a Bluejacket 23 from a marina down the road in a day or two. High 84º F, Low 60º. I can live with that. Damn,I just finished the beer.

At the end of our week, we go to Quebec City for three nights, then Franconia, NH for a couple of days, then a reunion with a Navy shipmate in NYC who I haven't seen in about 45 years.

• Like 1

Quebec City could be muggy, depending on the weather systems. NYC will get you acclimatized to hot weather in anticipation of your return to N. Carolina. I have fond memories of Lake Champlain. Hope it is still as nice as I remember. Only downside is that beer tends to evaporate in that part of Vermont.

1 hour ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Only downside is that beer tends to evaporate in that part of Vermont.

Not only beer, but gin and wine too, per my experiments. The sun still sets beautifully in the west.

Mrs. B.C. and I just returned to muggy N.C. We did not escape summer heat. Our week in Vermont was enjoyable, mostly sunny, breezy, 60 - 86º F. We went sailing one afternoon, however, with a reefed main reefed jib, it was still wet and boisterous - not to Mrs. B.C.'s liking so we went in after a few hours.

We went to Quebec City for three days

On 7/27/2018 at 6:16 PM, Jim in Halifax said:

Quebec City could be muggy

Jim was right. It was muggy, but it was very interesting, and we had a nice time. This from "Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada"

On 8/5/2018 at 3:54 PM, Bull City said:

Eh? So last night, Mrs. BC & I went to typical French Canadian restaurant, Aux Anciens Canadiens, in a house dating from the 1600’s. I had “Grandma’s Treat” as my entree (Mrs. BC waved me off “Grandpa’s Treat.”) this on top of snails and pea soup. I couldn’t move. It included a slice of meat pie, two big meat balls, potatoes, brown gravy, baked beans and some other stuff. It was delicious.  Had I gone moose hunting in winter, it would have been ideal.

Today we went to the naval museum. It focused on convoy duty in WWII, and was very personal. Then we toured HMCS Moncton, a coastal defense vessel.

It seems the whole NE was warm and humid. Could it be... climate change?

Well, as the apochraphal Mark Twain saying goes "There's nothing colder than summer in San Francisco"

The farther you head up river toward Sacramento, the warmer it gets, so just stop where you find the temperature that you like.

I would kill for some summer heat right now.

20 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I would kill for some summer heat right now.

I know how you feel...

This is the current temperature where I live. However, it is a lot better than the 33-degrees below zero (f) that it was two weeks ago!

779790551_Tempthismorning.png.7b3647755b2058c44fef759c05c9ac72.png

We don't have that much snow this year, but winter is not over yet

1777197381_MNSnow.jpg.d2fe01d5a20aab545ea0b2be621753ac.jpg

This isn't summer heat related, but Mrs. B.C. and I are going to Greece in the fall. We're flying there, but I'd kind of like to go back to the U.S. east coast by sea. We would not have to leave from Greece; we could fly somewhere like Italy or Spain.

My travel agent and I have looked at a number of cruise lines, but nothing works. We're not interested in a gigantic carnival type of ship, and we're not interested in a lot of port visits (After 3 weeks away, we'd like to get home). It doesn't have to luxurious, but I would like comfort and good food. Our departure date would be October 15 +/-.

Anyone have any ideas of where to look? Thanks.

B.C.

23 minutes ago, Bull City said:

This isn't summer heat related, but Mrs. B.C. and I are going to Greece in the fall. We're flying there, but I'd kind of like to go back to the U.S. east coast by sea. We would not have to leave from Greece; we could fly somewhere like Italy or Spain.

My travel agent and I have looked at a number of cruise lines, but nothing works. We're not interested in a gigantic carnival type of ship, and we're not interested in a lot of port visits (After 3 weeks away, we'd like to get home). It doesn't have to luxurious, but I would like comfort and good food. Our departure date would be October 15 +/-.

Anyone have any ideas of where to look? Thanks.

B.C.

Take a look at this site, Mr. City. It might offer an alternitive for you.

http://www.cruisepeople.co.uk/transat.htm

On 2/19/2019 at 7:31 AM, QBF said:

I know how you feel...

This is the current temperature where I live. However, it is a lot better than the 33-degrees below zero (f) that it was two weeks ago!

779790551_Tempthismorning.png.7b3647755b2058c44fef759c05c9ac72.png

We don't have that much snow this year, but winter is not over yet

1777197381_MNSnow.jpg.d2fe01d5a20aab545ea0b2be621753ac.jpg

I spoke too soon! We have been slammed with snow this past week with a lot more on the way next week. Also the temps are forecast to drop to near 20-below zero again!  :mellow:

On this, the last day of Summer, we had to turn on our heat after overnight lows dipped into the 50s. Remarkable!

Turns out that setting the whole forest on fire also shuts off the summer, like a switch.   Forecast temperatures were around 90 but under the smoke, were more in the 60 range.  

just saw temps in the low 30's for the first time this year .......... celsius ;)