• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

SWMBO is doing a business trip to Atlanta next week and dragging me along for moral support etc. What are some of the must see, must do for a guy who has never been East of Colorado!

WL

There aint a whole lot to do/see. I spent too much time working there. A couple of years ago I was able to score Braves tickets after the 1st pitch for next to nothing. Traffic sucks. But I wouldn't say there's a whole lot more to see than what Max saId.

Aquarium is pretty good. Trip out to Stone Mountain might be worth the trip.

Check traffic patterns. They recently had a fire/collapse of a major overpass that will have downtown commuter traffic screwed for some time.

Oh..........I am an aquarium geek, and I have visited EVERY major aquarium in the US so you have to take that into account but............the aquarium........yep.

I live in suburban ATL.

The aquarium is really good. Lots of good restaurants bars in little five points. Downtown Decatur has a good scene as well. Chai Pani in Decatur has great Indian food. Braves game at the new park might be good. Hiking at Chattahoochee river and Kennesaw Mountain. Rent bikes and ride along the Beltline. For a longer ride, the Silver Comet runs from west of town all the way to Alabama.

Or come up to acworth And help me put my boat back together!

Awesome, many thanks. I will definitely be trying to get out and try some adventuring (except for the putting a boat back together :) )

WL

Awesome, many thanks. I will definitely be trying to get out and try some adventuring (except for the putting a boat back together :) )

WL

Too bad. This week is centerboard fairing! So much fun. So. Much.

Ugh.

Have a great visit.

Worked there for 2 years mon thru fri, lived in viginia highlands. The place is a racist shithole. We lived in the only halfway real neighborhood that I saw. Go eat at the bar with philip at surin of thailand. The italian at la tivola is first rate. Restaurants are all the place has going for it. Put a pin in the center of downtown and all the good stuff is from midnight to 3 a mile or two from the pin. Good luck.

Never been there, but I heard or read somewhere that it is a fairly young city, population wise, and has a decent music club scene, or did I dream that?

The local music scene was happening. Lots of live music and bands recording purely analog to vinyl. The guy who manages the majestic diner can hook you up with whatever is happening thats on the edge of the wave. Food isnt bad either. Super nice guy. Truly the coolest zone in atlanta is from ponce to virginia down highland. Its the only place you can pretend you arent really in atlanta.

Oh, and if you want to go to movie theater and watch a movie with no trailers or ads the plaza theater is the place. Real butter on thr popcorn and the 8 oclock movie starts at 8 oclock. You sit in the theater in the quiet and at 8 the lights go down and the movie starts. Thats it. Probably my favorite thing in atlanta other than the art installations in the underground halls between terminals at the airport. Dont ride the train. Walk.

Aquarium is pretty good. Trip out to Stone Mountain might be worth the trip.

Check traffic patterns. They recently had a fire/collapse of a major overpass that will have downtown commuter traffic screwed for some time.

I've heard the aquarium is a must do.. not sure how crowded it is nowadays , but check into getting tickets before hand... Stone Mtn, definitely go to the top..

as said, Varsity, try the sweet tea... then make appoinment to be checked for diabetes..

Well, it's hot and humid! Rode the MARTA from airport. Very abandoned area South of downtown. Only business still up are surrounded by razorwire.

Apparently Trump was in town earlier today and LE and protesters are freaking everywhere.

WL

SWMBO grew up in Juneau and then the PNW. I am giggling at her jaw dropping every time we walk around a corner. Small town girl in the big city..

;)

WL

SWMBO grew up in Juneau and then the PNW. I am giggling at her jaw dropping every time we walk around a corner. Small town girl in the big city..

;)

WL

Never been to Sea-Tac area, but aren't those fairly large cities?

;)

WL

Never been to Sea-Tac area, but aren't those fairly large cities?

They are. We avoid them. Trips to Seahawks or Mariners games. The occasional dinner. But never out wandering about through downtown.

We live in a town of 15k and think it's gotten overcrowded.

;)

WL

PB, you will need to put the aquarium on your list. Walking through a glass tunnel with 3 large whale sharks swimming overhead is almost surreal.

The Botanical gardens are very cool as well.

Hoping to head to Stone Mt. tomorrow!

WL

PB, you will need to put the aquarium on your list. Walking through a glass tunnel with 3 large whale sharks swimming overhead is almost surreal.

The Botanical gardens are very cool as well.

Hoping to head to Stone Mt. tomorrow!

WL

Yep, been to that one. The tunnel is way cool. It's #4 on my list of best ever aquariums.

Oh..........I am an aquarium geek, and I have visited EVERY major aquarium in the US so you have to take that into account but............the aquarium........yep.

So how do you rate Monterey Bay against the others you have seen? Been there, the Shed and Boston, but no others. I thought Monterey was the best of those three.

So how do you rate Monterey Bay against the others you have seen? Been there, the Shed and Boston, but no others. I thought Monterey was the best of those three.

So far.......

#1 Baltimore Inner Harbor

#2 Monterey

#3 Atlanta

#4 San Diego Birch Aquarium

#5 Steinhart San Francisco

I like Shed......never been to Boston.

new england aquarium is pretty small. wasn't very impressive 20+ years ago. doubt it has changed much. well maybe the rusty barge they held the dolphin show in finally sank.

but thanks. now I have that stupid penguin line from the tv commercials stuck in my head. :)

So far.......

#2 Monterey

#3 Atlanta

Thanks for that. Sorry I never went to Birch when I lived in SDG. I get To Baltimore occasionally, will have to check it out

So far.......

#2 Monterey

#3 Atlanta

Thanks for that. Sorry I never went to Birch when I lived in SDG. I get To Baltimore occasionally, will have to check it out
It's visually way cool. A central continuous circular ramp going up with displays all the way around. You look over the railing down into center, and the ground floor is a huge tank with sharks and rays swimming around. You get to the top and go through a pair of doors into a rooftop rainforest with spiders, birds, frogs, salamanders, and plants. Hugely cool!

https://goo.gl/images/KP2Pia

I have to be in ATL in July of all times! How's the freeway traffic after that fire?

I have to be in ATL in July of all times! How's the freeway traffic after that fire?

Supposed to be completed in June. Traffic will still suck...

World of Coke is cool too as is the CNN tour and Piedmont Park.

Eh, my employer sent me to Chicago in December once.

That means the boss wants to ensure you don't make it into a vacation....!