• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Raptorsailor

Quick, easy and simple 'keep warm' hack

Was going to post this in dinghy anarchy but realised it could to apply to many more.

In Winter, many of us are used to sailing with neoprene gloves. I use 3mm gloves, which stops my fingers from getting numb but that's all. To get warmer, get those really cheap disposable plastic gloves. Put them on as your first layer of glove, under the neoprene layer. Not only do I find it easier to put on the gloves, it also makes the hands MUCH warmer. Just remember to put the disposable gloves on in a warm area. It also keeps your hands quite a bit drier. If you want to stop water getting into them completely you can always wrap an elastic band around them. That's all. :D

chomp chomp

-raptor

Surprising how warm a thin pair of rubber gloves are. In the fall when I'm working on the truck, boat, or welding I usually wear a pair on cold days.

In the 60's I used to sail a Finn in the winter on LIS. Two dive suits, wool Millar mits then 6mm dive gloves. Plenty of wind, but I lost my hearing because the bones in my ears grew together. Please wear a hood or at least good earplugs to keep from needing an involved ear surgery. The guys that fished the sound at the turn of the century under sail must have been animals to survive those conditions.

Would fleece gloves underneath work even better? The neoprene ones on the outside should keep them mostly dry, and if they do get wet they squeeze out well.

Piss yourself! Gets you warm really quickly.

You know this from experience?

I have had this inspirational advice from several cold-water divers. Nobody cares except you.

That's a well known technique, but it scratches like hell on earth afterwards.

Would fleece gloves underneath work even better? The neoprene ones on the outside should keep them mostly dry, and if they do get wet they squeeze out well.

I'm not sure, but from experience, the neoprene doesn't stop water coming in, it simply traps the water and lets the body temperature heat it, those fleece gloves will get a bit soaked me thinks ;)

Doesn't everybody?

Safetey at Sea tolde us it woud the hi-lite oure daye if overeboarde.

Theires to kindes of peopel, thoise that pee theire wettesuite and thoise that lie abote it.

Similar trick:

if you have an old oilskin which ins't so water proof any more, just wear a Tyvek under it. It will keep you dry and warm.

Doesn't everybody?

Theires to kindes of peopel, thoise that pee theire wettesuite and thoise that lie abote it.

Had a dive instructor who only offered to share his coffee with divers in dry suits.

Doesn't everybody?

Had a dive instructor who only offered to share his coffee with divers in dry suits.

Had a diving instructor who's wetsuit caused the majority of students to dry heave.

I like dipping my hands in gas then lighting them. Warms them right up. Great hack.