Laraco

Trailer Winch F27

Just purchased an F27 that needs some attention.

I am looking for a trailer winch. Currently it has a winch that brakes automatically but is showing it's age. What rating should I look for to be able to handle mast raising and trailering?

I was looking at this winch:

https://www.amazon.ca/Fulton-K25500101-2500-Winch-Brake/dp/B002085MGM/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1493052633&sr=1-2&keywords=trailer+winch+boat+2500

Does anyone have recommendations for a brand or model?

Go to the Yahoo F-boat forums to check in greater depth but you might want to go up one size (will not cost you much to do so) on the winch. Check the Pacific Trailer website as well. Raising and lowering the mast does not approach the winch capacity at all. Its easy. Its the boat you care about and it likely weighs just a bit more than that winch is rated for (2500 lbs). Loaded boat almost certainly does weigh a bit more (guessing pushing 3000 lbs). Boat and trailer usually are pushing about 4000 lbs plus if I recall. Oh and good luck with her. Corsair F27s are great boats!! Wess

PS - If the winch is shot check over the trailer well. They usually need some love after a bit and skimping on it is a fast way to damage a nice boat!

Thanks for the advice Wess will check into all that you mentioned. Good point about the trailer will check it over too. It is a Pacific Trailer still so will have a look at their site. Hoping to bring her back into good condition soon!

Happy to help. Do join both the Yahoo F-boat(s) forums. Both the forum posts and files are useful. You can also find the manual there. Best of luck with the boat. Wess

Wess gave some great advice. Of course the winch doesn't have to lift the dead weight of the boat but it is one place where overkill is nice. On mast raising/lowering, always use two halyards. Also, look at your pivot fixtures on deck and follow them to the cabin. From memory, you have to remove a cover but IIRC, those fixtures are screwed in. You want to replace the screws with bolts and backing plates. Back to the winch, when on the trailer stored, I would use a short length of line to hold the boat in place and cover the winch/line to avoid any UV damage.

The Yahoo group is more than helpful. If you choose to not use their search feature, be sure to ask about tow vehicles (sorry, no ability for purple font).

The F27 is a phenomenal boat. The level of detail in that boat is beyond compare. Have fun!

Wess gave some great advice. Of course the winch doesn't have to lift the dead weight of the boat but it is one place where overkill is nice. On mast raising/lowering, always use two halyards. Also, look at your pivot fixtures on deck and follow them to the cabin. From memory, you have to remove a cover but IIRC, those fixtures are screwed in. You want to replace the screws with bolts and backing plates. Back to the winch, when on the trailer stored, I would use a short length of line to hold the boat in place and cover the winch/line to avoid any UV damage.

The Yahoo group is more than helpful. If you choose to not use their search feature, be sure to ask about tow vehicles (sorry, no ability for purple font).

The F27 is a phenomenal boat. The level of detail in that boat is beyond compare. Have fun!

Cal20Sailor - Peed my pants laughing about that!!

Larasco - He means we lack a sarcasm font on SA which was needed with that comment. There are some (many?) on the Yahoo F-boat(s) forums that are extremely anal about what you tow with, LOL. They are a great resource but can go off on the oddest of things!

Oh and saw your post on the forum... loosen the nets a bit more and the beams/floats will fully fold in. Be sure to pin them in place fully folded... any old junk small screwdriver will do as the pin.

so what should I buy to tow an F27.... not seen a tow thread for a very long time...... and it was not trolling it must be a genuine US and Aus truck thing.....

Being a Brit then only a Defender will do ;P

I only use the winch to raise my TT720 mast and belay the forestay with a rope to lower (person doing this is on the ground and only acting as a safety as I control the decent with wraps around the primary in the cockpit)

Note I use the jib halyard around a primary winch as my backup for both raising and lowering

Thanks for all the info everyone really good points. I will be sure to ask about tow vehicles! I am sure the 10 foot U-Haul that I rented would not be recommended.

I will have a look at brake winches. Trying to find something I can use a rope on instead of a strap. Will try to loosen nets, I guess the screwdriver is to keep the net intact while towing?

Do a good search on the yahoo forum, adequate tow vehicles have been discussed at length.

Any winch you get will work with rope, you just have to replace the webbing. This is a requirement because webbing has been known to fail on several f-boats.

Thanks for all the info everyone really good points. I will be sure to ask about tow vehicles! I am sure the 10 foot U-Haul that I rented would not be recommended.

I will have a look at brake winches. Trying to find something I can use a rope on instead of a strap. Will try to loosen nets, I guess the screwdriver is to keep the net intact while towing?

No the screwdriver (if the pin does not easily fit or is lost) serves to lock the beam and float to the main hull when fully folded. If moving the boat on the trailer you really want the locking pin (or screwdriver in its place) inserted. Or the beam can start to unfold and hit the trailer fender or continue to unfold and...

Don't ask me how I know. Just glad I was at the marina moving slowly, and have lots of friends all of whom came running. It all ended with not even a scratch on anything but it could have and should have gone pear shaped and been a mess due to my rushing and not bothering with the missing pin for the 50 yard move to the ramp.

Not sure why a webbing would fail unless its been exposed to too much sun or just too old. But this is another good reason to always have a backup belay using your jib halyard to a primary winch on deck

On my strap I sewed a sunbrella sleeve on the first 300mm (from hook), so that it acts as a cover just like one does on furling jibs.

Not sure why a webbing would fail unless its been exposed to too much sun or just too old. But this is another good reason to always have a backup belay using your jib halyard to a primary winch on deck

On my strap I sewed a sunbrella sleeve on the first 300mm (from hook), so that it acts as a cover just like one does on furling jibs.

It is not the sun but how the strap can distort when raising mast, which means it can tear easily. The normal bow roller used to raise mast has a concave roller, which forms the strap into a U shape, which can then tear on the sides of the roller frame. I used one about 5 times on the original F-27, and then it suddenly broke by tearing. Have thus always removed such straps since and replaced by line. Would be okay if bow roller was same width as strap and a parallel cylinder, but these do not work well as bow rollers for anchoring.

So best to avoid straps when also being used to raise mast.

Ian Farrier