FlyTheCode

Sailing Simulator

Hello everyone. Thought you might enjoy this as much as I have. There is a new game that simulates the entire ocean from real weather. You can go anywhere you want. And, it simulates the sails/lines accurately. It's awesome. I've played it. Even though it's new and working some bugs out, it is great.

It allows racing. So, you can do that far away ocean race without all the expense and time off work.
ss_0112b91ae952a55a1c247d92f928163ae8255
ss_4c79fd8f0287d12774952ba750c130b7984e8

Nice graphics.

I like Posey's "Sailing Tactics Simulator"

The graphics are low-res but the action is truly useful.

Specifically, it is super useful for understanding how wind patterns effect the entire fleet and where you want to be relative to the fleet when a shift is anticipated. This simulator clearly illustrates the concept of gaining "leverage;" in this game it really pays to take your lumps to get over to the favored side of the course. Boat speed controls are pretty minimal so you concentrate on getting your ass to the best places on the course.

I find if I do a few simulated races in the morning of a regatta, I am more tuned in to wind shifts and fleet positioning when I get out on the water.

• Like 1

Nice graphics.

Specifically, it is super useful for understanding how wind patterns effect the entire fleet and where you want to be relative to the fleet when a shift is anticipated. This simulator clearly illustrates the concept of gaining "leverage;" in this game it really pays to take your lumps to get over to the favored side of the course. Boat speed controls are pretty minimal so you concentrate on getting your ass to the best places on the course.

I find if I do a few simulated races in the morning of a regatta, I am more tuned in to wind shifts and fleet positioning when I get out on the water.

Thanks for pointing me to that one. I will have to try it too.

buy an ad.

Sorry, I didn't realize I needed your approval before sharing something sailing related that I thought others might enjoy.

www.sailx.com

you're racing against real people. Good ones

Sail X is a great game too. I've spent a lot of time playing that and I think it is awesome!

What, no jokes about the Cruising simulator where you stand fully clothed in your shower under the cold water ripping up fifty dollar bills ?

• Like 1

What, no jokes about the Cruising simulator where you stand fully clothed in your shower under the cold water ripping up fifty dollar bills ?

50s?... Amateur

• Like 3

I put some thoughts before the launch of this simulator on an earlier post:

http://www.psychologyofsailing.com/when-sailing-is-only-a-game-sailaway-the-ultimate-sailing-simulator/

What really clashes here is the idea of reproducing an outdoor activity into a virtual reality world from the comforts of your home. Simulators are a good learning tool though, and allow to be on the piece when other circumstances won't allow you to be on the water.

The other thing is that you can stop or pause a videogame, but you can't with a boat. You have to finish your journey or go back to safe waters, or wait for the wind to pick up.

About our ever increasing dependence on the machines I read an interesting article on how Airline Pilots make mistakes when they have to resume manual controls in case of computer failures.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/11/the-great-forgetting/309516/

Many recent accidents are attributed to human error. Because pilots fly less and less under manual controls they are loosing their skills. I hope the same won't happen to sailors.

sailaway3.jpg?resize=320%2C180

After playing this for the past couple days (I have a lot of down time right now), I have a few impressions:

• Yes, the cockpit is a mess and you can't clean it up. It's bothersome, but there is often so much to do that it doesn't become noticeable.
  • The sail trim is VERY realistic. The boat in the picture can be adjusted via the following control lines: vang, cunningham, outhaul, reef lines (3 of them), traveler, main sheet, genoa halyard, genoa sheet, genoa lead car, genoa furler and backstay. There are also different headsails on this and the other boats. So far I have seen a gennaker, code zero, genoa, jib, and a number 4. The appropriate sheets are available depending on what headsail is up. All the control lines effect the sails as they should. It is awesome.
  • The sail trim, on expert setting, is a constant task. Every wind shift and change appropriately effects the sails. So, sailing to a heading requires constant adjustment just like on a real boat.
  • There are three boats: a mini transat, a 38 foot ocean cruiser, and a old canoe stern design. The boats handle in a realistic manner. The 38 is closest to what I have sailed on in real life and everything there "feels" the way it should. The mini and the old canoe stern boat all "feel" the way I imagine them.
  • The color of all the lines are configurable. So, if the boat you sail in real life has a white and red genoa halyard, your virtual boat can also have a white and red genoa halyard. This is oddly satisfying.

This game is perfect for getting some sailing in when short on time. Getting on a real boat, for me, takes a 45 minute drive both ways and being away from all other tasks during my time on the water. So, if I just have an hour I can't get a on a real boat. But, I can fire this up and get some sailing enjoyment out of that time. And, not to mention, I also live in an area with a specific sailing season. I typically can't sail in the winter months. This game will help there too.

Also, this provides a realistic and risk free environment to practice long distance weather routing. It's a persistent world. So, when you sign off your boat keeps going according to your autopilot. Right now, my virtual boat is crossing the Atlantic from New York to Ireland. I wouldn't even have enough vacation time to do that in real life (anytime soon). Not to mention the costs for a capable boat, all the gear, provisions, and paying off my significant other to let me go. I don't have to rip up 50's, 100's, or an entire retirement fund. I can just buy the game and use a computer I already have.

I don't expect or want this to replace real sailing. That is still way better. Like Pyschosailing's article mentioned, the hardship (work, pain, effort, etc) can't be made virtual. Real sailing will always be better for that. But, this is great for what it is. I'm happy someone took the time to make this game.

Lastly, this is a great tool to expose people to sailing and to allow them to learn. Just like Sail X is great for learning tactics, this game is great for learning and practicing sail trim. If someone has no experience on a sailboat, playing this game for a short time would be a huge help. Sure it can't be a complete learning experience. But, for getting someone up to a basic level of understanding, this is a great tool. I have met people in the game that have never sailed before and are falling in love with the concept. This is good for sailing. Hopefully, they will make their way to a real boat and help grow the sport.

More screenshots can be seen here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/552920/screenshots/

While writing this post, I have had the game open in another window. I needed to stop after about every sentence to ease or trim something on the boat. But, the virtual boat is making 7knts in 18knts of true wind at a TWA of 159. Now, I need to go trim the kite.

After playing this for the past couple days (I have a lot of down time right now), I have a few impressions:

• Yes, the cockpit is a mess and you can't clean it up. It's bothersome, but there is often so much to do that it doesn't become noticeable.
  • The sail trim is VERY realistic. The boat in the picture can be adjusted via the following control lines: vang, cunningham, outhaul, reef lines (3 of them), traveler, main sheet, genoa halyard, genoa sheet, genoa lead car, genoa furler and backstay. There are also different headsails on this and the other boats. So far I have seen a gennaker, code zero, genoa, jib, and a number 4. The appropriate sheets are available depending on what headsail is up. All the control lines effect the sails as they should. It is awesome.
  • The sail trim, on expert setting, is a constant task. Every wind shift and change appropriately effects the sails. So, sailing to a heading requires constant adjustment just like on a real boat.
  • There are three boats: a mini transat, a 38 foot ocean cruiser, and a old canoe stern design. The boats handle in a realistic manner. The 38 is closest to what I have sailed on in real life and everything there "feels" the way it should. The mini and the old canoe stern boat all "feel" the way I imagine them.
  • The color of all the lines are configurable. So, if the boat you sail in real life has a white and red genoa halyard, your virtual boat can also have a white and red genoa halyard. This is oddly satisfying.

This game is perfect for getting some sailing in when short on time. Getting on a real boat, for me, takes a 45 minute drive both ways and being away from all other tasks during my time on the water. So, if I just have an hour I can't get a on a real boat. But, I can fire this up and get some sailing enjoyment out of that time. And, not to mention, I also live in an area with a specific sailing season. I typically can't sail in the winter months. This game will help there too.

Also, this provides a realistic and risk free environment to practice long distance weather routing. It's a persistent world. So, when you sign off your boat keeps going according to your autopilot. Right now, my virtual boat is crossing the Atlantic from New York to Ireland. I wouldn't even have enough vacation time to do that in real life (anytime soon). Not to mention the costs for a capable boat, all the gear, provisions, and paying off my significant other to let me go. I don't have to rip up 50's, 100's, or an entire retirement fund. I can just buy the game and use a computer I already have.

I don't expect or want this to replace real sailing. That is still way better. Like Pyschosailing's article mentioned, the hardship (work, pain, effort, etc) can't be made virtual. Real sailing will always be better for that. But, this is great for what it is. I'm happy someone took the time to make this game.

Lastly, this is a great tool to expose people to sailing and to allow them to learn. Just like Sail X is great for learning tactics, this game is great for learning and practicing sail trim. If someone has no experience on a sailboat, playing this game for a short time would be a huge help. Sure it can't be a complete learning experience. But, for getting someone up to a basic level of understanding, this is a great tool. I have met people in the game that have never sailed before and are falling in love with the concept. This is good for sailing. Hopefully, they will make their way to a real boat and help grow the sport.

More screenshots can be seen here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/552920/screenshots/

While writing this post, I have had the game open in another window. I needed to stop after about every sentence to ease or trim something on the boat. But, the virtual boat is making 7knts in 18knts of true wind at a TWA of 159. Now, I need to go trim the kite.

You can't clean the lines in the cockpit? If you want to race one a real boat come with me and you can sort lines all day long.

Although keen, when it comes to sailing, I'm a complete novice, so it was put to me that I 'get to know some stuff' before doing the real thing.  Simulators were the recommendation...

The newest one I've found (so perhaps the best I'm thinking?) is eSail (https://www.esailyachtsimulator.com) - released March this year.  I've been giving it a try and, so far, found it to be great.  As a complete novice, I have studiously completed the 'Learn Yachting...' tutorials and since then, tackled a variety of 'Challenges' (even a race or two).  So now it's a question of whether I'm brave enough to attempt the 'Live Sailing' mode.  Of course, those of you who sail already will probably go straight for the Quickstart option and then head for horizon...  Please tell me what's out there....

I've been trying to simulate sailing for 50 years....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NickDG said:

ghghghgf3.jpg

GOLD!

• Like 1

I'll confess to being both a newb and having bought the sim... Was rather expensive at $40 for what I'd use it for, but when compared to the cost of boat parts, it ain't all that bad.

I've acquired a Force 5 dinghy and a '79 O'Day 19, both of which need repair before they hit the water. I picked up the sim intending to use it as practice memorizing the names of the sheets and lines... Any realistic sail trimming was a bonus.

Considered posting about the sim before, but didn't want to come across as either advertising or a completely clueless newb pushing a fancy toy. :P

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 12:50 AM, Somebody Else said:

Nice graphics.

Old but great. Had it for years but keep going back to it occasionally. Completely agree the graphics are rudimentary but very clearly illustrated effects on fleet of shifts

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 2:34 AM, hoppy said:

Massive LOL... who would be so dumb to suggest that...

But wait, it's your first post and you are advertising a link.. Hmmmm

Potential yachting holiday and owners of the boat would prefer I knew something rather than nothing.  From my POV, I'd like to know enough so as not to feel like the outsider and maybe even to get involved, and taking this route was suggested as the safest way with limited time (and no water) available.  Open to ideas but it seemed like a good choice for the learning tutorials and a safe environment to "practice my guts" - bit scared really!  Best of all, I'm actually beginning to feel some excitement towards a first-time holiday on water...

I'm not suggesting simulators are sufficient on their own, of course, but if it gets me on the water with a bit more awareness (not to be confused with experience) than I would otherwise have, surely that's gotta be a good thing.  Guess I'll see for myself when the time comes and enjoy the 'game' in the meantime.  Thanks anyway.

I can't vouch for its realism regarding trimming the sails, but I have noticed it lacking in a few other areas:

- Damage: no worries about uncontrolled gybes, dipping a boom into the water, dragging the jib's clew (and more) through the waves isn't a problem.

- Hydrodynamics: heeling to an excessive degree doesn't seem to slow the boat at all, e.g. Nordic Folkboat at 40 degress still clips along,  despite the boom and jib visibily dragging through the waves. Reefing the mainsail at that point slows the boat in addition to reducing the heel.

I'll certainly continue using the sim, keeping in mind its limitations.

I think simulators have value. As a younger man I played a lot of flight simulators. When I was getting into radio control airplanes I used the flight sim to get a handle on how things would work when viewing a plane from a distance. On my first flight my instructor had a few habits to correct but otherwise couldn't believe how well I flew the plane, landing it not far from our feet.

I can't speak for the accuracy of this specific sailing simulator but I can say that they definitely have some value in giving a newbie at least some idea about how a sailboat works. Perhaps not enough to let that newbie out on their own, but at least it is better than starting from absolute zero IMO. In the case of SailX, I think it does a great job of getting some of the rules of racing ingrained before heading onto the race course to bump boats.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:50 PM, Somebody Else said:

Nice graphics.

Do yo by any chance still have a copy? I've been looking for this simulator for months now... Help appreciated

i seem to remember a thread somewhere about Sail Simulator 5: https://www.sailsimulator.com/ though it looks like its no longer supported.

anybody around still sailing any of these in multiplayer? Was thinking of getting my kid a sailing game for his new PC