Sign in to follow this  
Fort2FortRace

New Annapolis/Baltimore Fort 2 Fort Races

Introducing new for Spring 2017, The Fort 2 Fort Races (www.fort2fortrace.com). The Fort 2 Fort Races are comprised of three separate record challenges in Annapolis and Baltimore, linking historical forts of Fort Severn (United States Naval Academy) and Fort McHenry. The three races are the Fort 2 Fort Race, the R2 Challenge, and the Star Spangled Banner Challenge. Each race is designed to be sailed in either direction to promote the best sailing conditions based on the weather window to set a new record.

The races can be entered between April 1st and November 1st each year. With each paid entry, your entry gives you the ability to enter all three challenges, a combination of the three, or the same challenge three times. Each entry must be submitted with a valid .gpx file to verify course times.

Eligible classes are Monohull A (15 Ft and below), Monohull B (16 Ft – 30 Ft), Monohull C (30+ FT), Multihull A (20 Ft and below), and Multihull B (21 Ft+). In addition to these classes, there will be an overall record, and PHRF record. If there are 5 or more One Design boats entered, than a One Design Class will also be scored.

The Fort 2 Fort Race is between Annapolis (Fort Severn/ Naval Academy) and Baltimore (Fort McHenry). The course is approximately 38 miles starting or finishing depending on the direction of choice from Triton Light at the Naval Academy, to Government Marks off Fort McHenry.

The R2 Challenge is between Triton Light at the Naval Academy and Severn River Marker R2. The course is approximately 3.8 miles and can be run from either direction.

The Star Spangled Banner Challenge is between Government Marks off Fort McHenry, and the Francis Scott Key Buoy near the Patapsco Bridge. Since the buoy is only in the water starting on June first each year, the Government Marks adjacent create a line through the buoy. The course is approximately 3.4 miles and can be run in either direction.

A portion of the entry fees will be donated to area organizations and foundations supporting sailing and the Chesapeake Bay.

For further information please visit www.fort2fortrace.com to view all race documents including a course diagram. If you have any questions please email racedirector@fort2fortrace.com.

As an added note, weekend forecast for the Annapolis Noods looks like a good opportunity to sail in from the courses and give it a go from R2 to Triton Light.

Who is the OA? Is CBYRA part of this? I tip my cap to whomever/whatever organization is spearheading this.

I have been pushing for something I took to calling the E2E (end to end) or B2B (bridge to bridge) challenge on the Chesapeake forever. Seems somebody took/ran with the idea and downsized it a bit for greater accessibility including dinghies. Outstanding. This is an even better idea from my perspective. OMG this is F-ing brilliant!!!!

Best of luck... I hope it catches on!!

Wess - We *used to have* a race from Baltimore light to Chesapeake light and back again AND a race entirely around the Delmarva peninsula.

If I get these "races" correctly, it is not a boat vs. boat race, you send in your GPS log. Kind of like the Blue Riband on a much smaller scale.

I love this. Boat is currently in Annapolis and F2F might be a good tune up for Down the Bay.

Make it interesting and add Fort Washington in the mix for us Upper Potomac boats. I come over to the Bay at least once a year......you guys should come to our extra-wide drainage ditch.

It's certainly an intriguing idea, forwarded it to the skipper. It was hard to tell from the website whether any boats have actually run it yet or are planning to. Might be nice if there was a "scratch sheet" for interested boats. I also didn't see anything about a prize. Obviously would'nt be anything substantial, but a perpetual trophy or plack with boat names/types and finish times would be cool and might encourage participation.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and ideas. As this is brand new and still in its infancy there is opportunities to adjust if needed in the future. The goal is to create a stable platform this year as we grow with submissions for the records. Overall, the feedback has presented opportunities to create new information on the website. Please stay tuned for more updates to the website and further information to come.

In response to Wess, the OA is going to be the website as we are not affiliated with any local organization.

Kent Island Sailor you are correct with the GPS log files. We ask for each submission of results to include .gpx files which can be downloaded from most chart plotters, Velocitek, Garmin, etc.

il195, one of the feedback suggestions would be to create a return record which starts and finishes in the same location. We will be looking into this further during the year and perhaps will have an additional creation in the future.

Wee Dram, the plan is to have a perpetual trophy for each of the three races for overall record. There will also be awards for each class for the year with the top performers receiving these awards. We may create other awards depending on the number of entries at our discretion.

If you all have other questions please email me at racedirector@fort2fortrace.com

Drew Beach - Race Director

Thanks for the update. Cool idea. Hope it catches on. Wess

Would you accept RaceQs files?

Ajax, Let me look into RaceQs further today and I will get back to you. As far as I know, they do not allow you to download via .gpx files but only in a csv file. I will also look into how often the gps track updates on the phone whereas most units like Velocitek update position every two seconds.

Ajax, Let me look into RaceQs further today and I will get back to you. As far as I know, they do not allow you to download via .gpx files but only in a csv file. I will also look into how often the gps track updates on the phone whereas most units like Velocitek update position every two seconds.

Ajax, while I like RaceQs app there seems to be an accuracy issue with save points the csv file logs. We all know gps in phones are not the same as standalone gps units. I took a test file while walking around the office this morning. In the first 15 plots, there is an average of 3.07164 seconds between the plotted save times. These times are anywhere from every 1.993 seconds, to 5.999 seconds. As you can imagine, this is a cause for concern at this point.

It's ok, I wasn't "married" to the concept. I just thought it was a convenient method of recording the event. If it's not accurate enough, that's cool.

I'm fine with uploading .gpx files.

In my case, I'm using an old, Raymarine C80 chartplotter. That dang thing saves files in a very proprietary Raymarine format when you export data.

Here's the hilarious thing: It allows you to export your tracks but no software exists that allows you to un-bundle and view your tracks. On the Raymarine Voyage Planner webpage it says "Coming Soon!" for that function. All I can export and view, are routes and waypoints, not tracks.

So, I'd need to run my Garmin handheld, which does let me export tracks as .gpx files.

Anyway, this is all my problem not yours. Thanks for answering my question.

Happy April 1st and the start of a hopeful new sailing season and opening of the entries for the Fort 2 Fort and subsequent races. While we didn't get any submissions for 2017, we are more than hopeful for a great 2018 if the weather starts cooperating.  I have been pushing the owners of the boats I race on with the hope we find a weather window this year. While we kept an eye out on the weather last year, we weren't able to submit our own run.  Fingers crossed, we will be able to have some more attempts this year.

New for 2018, we have updated the website with more information about the Founder and Race Director.  In addition, we have created a new award for the outright record holders for each of the three races with a tribute to our great area.  We will be using all proceeds from entries to support local sailing programs. Please submit recommendations for your favorite sailing program whether it is for juniors, veterans, etc  we look forward to helping our sailing community.  

We hope to see you all enter the races and grow participation of more fun events in the sailing community. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to me at racedirector@fort2fortrace.com

Cheers,
Drew

• Like 2

I assume your preference is still for files from a chartplotter, and not RaceQs?

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

I assume your preference is still for files from a chartplotter, and not RaceQs?

Ajax,

For 2018 we will allow RaceQs.  We certainly understand not everyone has access to a handheld GPS or a Chart Plotter especially smaller sport boats. We simply ask the file to be submitted along with  GPS start and finish times. Thank you for bringing this up again for 2018. 

Cheers,
Drew

• Like 1

Fellow Annapolis and Baltimore Racers, it is with good news we have our first boat signed up.  I have created a scratch sheet on the website to show who is pending a time submission. Looking forward to a great year.

Cheers,

Drew

Good Afternoon Annapolis and Baltimore area Racers,

This weekend is the Baltimore Harbor Cup. This race presents a great way/reason to log some GPS runs, and make the Baltimore side of the Fort 2 Fort Race official. All competitors of the Harbor Cup will be sailing on the course of the Star Spangled Banner Challenge by with the overall Harbor Cup Race. So while you are at it, you mine as well log a time and help build a new race idea.  The line by the Francis Scott Key buoy will be extended with the current SI's to ensure if tactics dictate, everyone  who enters can log a time.  I will be posting an amendment this evening to take this into effect..  With that said, if you stay Saturday night, you can also not only try again on the way out of the harbor. If you are headed back to Annapolis and want to sail, with a current NW forecast for Sunday, you might also want to continue the whole overall Fort 2 Fort Race between Baltimore and Annapolis, and then subsequently log a time for the Annapolis leg of R2 to the Naval Academy.  As a reminder, one entry gives you the ability to log a time for each race, and as well as repeated entries. We ask you to use GPS verified timing and will accept RaceQs as well. 

A discount code of Baltimore18 can be used for the weekend which gives a $10 discount for race entry.  

Please visit www.fort2fortrace.com for all documents and entries. If you have any questions please email racedirector@fort2fortrace.com and I will gladly answer any questions or concerns. 

Please pass this on to any crew members you know racing. It would be great to end the season with some recorded times.

Hope to see everyone in Baltimore during the party.

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

Looks like nobody has done this yet?

Not yet. However, I do know one boat will be registering a time on Saturday, and perhaps the whole course Sunday on the return to have a base number regardless of conditions. 

Good Day fellow Marylander's, and all those who may visit.

The Fort 2 Fort races are open for the 2019 season, and the updated NOR and SIs have been posted.

You may notice a few changes for this year which includes an extension of the season to December 1st. The season as it stands will be April 1st to December 1st. Last year during the Race to Baltimore we also extended the start and finish line as a method to increase submissions. Since you were already sailing through it, you could log a time if you chose to do so. For 2019, we have made this feature permanent. So if you are out racing in Baltimore on Tuesday night and the course happens to be as such, you could also log a time.  

May the wind be in the right direction more often than not this season. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out racedirector@fort2fortrace.com. Looking forward to someone knocking T-Bone off the top spot in Baltimore.