• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Dog

Climate news

630 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I am hearin ya. Does it snow in Dover?

Guess you've found out by now but it's looking like a half decent day for early spring, so enjoy.

Well, Dover - not much *to* enjoy there except maybe leaving again. There are worse places though. Ceduna comes to mind.

FKT

On 7/25/2017 at 1:11 PM, Lark said:

Your party is doing everything they can to promote the cause.  They are 100% pro climate change, don't worry.   They just left the limited but entire world united deal and encouraged others to leave and renegotiate with the US.   They also want to kill CAFE standards, not because they are imperfect but because they restrict our right to commute alone in the carpool lane in big heavy fuel guzzling SUVs with mudders.    How many chemicals do I keep adding to my fuel tank, because the Republicans insist on diluting gasoline with ethanol grown by heavily fertilized carbon negative corn?   That even has the fringe benefit of promoting algae blooms in the great lakes, so Republicans can win twice by diluting the clean water act.   

You act like making the actions have cost is a net loss.   If done properly it is a net gain, by reducing FEMA budgets, real estate lost to rising sea levels and erosion, levee costs as the army corpse changes the definition of 100 year and 50 year events to match the new reality of three this century.    Carbon tax is a way of making the guy who causes the problem and makes mega money from the problem pay for the damage.  Republicans are more comfortable with the trickle down theory.  The flood trickles into your kitchen, my taxers trickle away to pay for the declared emergency, but the oil company etc gets some rebates and the billionaire CEO gets a tax deduction so he can import a foreign green card nanny cheaply.   Some of her salary remains in the US and trickles down via the laundry mat to the repair guy.   The repair guy drives a macho truck to haul his 100 hp pontoon boat, increasing global warming further, but making the oil billionaire even more money.   If we tax the source slowly the economy adjusts, and actions that have cost to others are minimized, or at least generate sufficient revenue to pay for the damage.   

Wow, I was right in with this post.    I was reading back trying to figure out why I started the cow tipping discussion.    Who wants to go snipe hunting Friday?

19 hours ago, Lark said:

Wow, I was right in with this post.    I was reading back trying to figure out why I started the cow tipping discussion.    Who wants to go snipe hunting Friday?

Oh, Is Friday a full moon?  Also, are you bringing the red flashlight, the "medium" sized rocks (at least 20 each) and the "medium" switch (stick to beat the bushes with)?  :P:D  

Who would have thought!  More extreme weather events?

Trio of hurricanes in Atlantic Ocean baffles weather scientists

Hurricane scientists say they've "never seen anything like this in the modern record".

Satellite images show three hurricanes currently lined up in the Atlantic Ocean threatening to make landfall.

The US National Hurricane Centre (NHC) has issued advisories on Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Jose, and Hurricane Katia, all of which have the potential to hit land at the same time.

10 minutes ago, random said:

Who would have thought!  More extreme weather events?

Trio of hurricanes in Atlantic Ocean baffles weather scientists

Hurricane scientists say they've "never seen anything like this in the modern record".

Satellite images show three hurricanes currently lined up in the Atlantic Ocean threatening to make landfall.

The US National Hurricane Centre (NHC) has issued advisories on Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Jose, and Hurricane Katia, all of which have the potential to hit land at the same time.

No historic floods will occur this time.    That would be wildly improbable.   

It is possible that these storms become normal in that part of the world.  That would render it uninhabitable.

On 9/5/2017 at 1:12 PM, Lark said:

I grew up outside of Beloit, trust me, you aint tipping a cow.

But Snipes...

My brother offers Snipe hunting on the family farm. In season only.

Guaranteed hunts $750. Reserve early.

Well, at least he didn't say "God will judge ....".

Pope Francis on climate change -

“If someone is doubtful that this is true, they should ask scientists. They are very clear. These are not opinions made on the fly. They are very clear. Then each person can decide and history will judge the decisions"

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-irma-pope-climatechange/pope-says-humanity-will-go-down-if-it-does-not-address-climate-change-idUSKCN1BM1M4?

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Well, at least he didn't say "God will judge ....".

Pope Francis on climate change -

“If someone is doubtful that this is true, they should ask scientists. They are very clear. These are not opinions made on the fly. They are very clear. Then each person can decide and history will judge the decisions"

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-irma-pope-climatechange/pope-says-humanity-will-go-down-if-it-does-not-address-climate-change-idUSKCN1BM1M4?

The pope was very impressive in the statement, considering that the scientists can't support his God theory. 

And those who do not support that will go to hell, apparently.  Oh, and they will if they use contraception, or don't go to church or a few other things.  Bit if they confess (and maybe put a few pennies in the plate) ... they are forgiven!  Fucking awesome religion that one.  Do it, confess, do it, confess.

Our local Weatherman pointed out an interesting factoid.'

the top four most powerful hurricanes happened in the last two years.

trend? Aberration? Can't say yet 

2 hours ago, random said:

The pope was very impressive in the statement,......, Fucking awesome religion that one.  

You are free to practice none or whatever religion you choose. 

Why rip on other people's opium?? 

Who knew Nelly was a climate scientist?

It's getting hot in here, so hot, so take off all your clothes 
I am, getting so hot, I wanna take my clothes off 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjW3q6I_J_WAhUrs1QKHeEuC8wQyCkIKzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGeZZr_p6vB8&usg=AFQjCNFbnwGJ6aQ02iTwakh0UP14yfkpKg

2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

It's a bit rude to discuss climate change so close to two mega storms.  Think of the victims.  Like discussing guns after a mass shooting.  Give it a few months to take some the edge off it.  

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Who knew Nelly was a climate scientist?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjW3q6I_J_WAhUrs1QKHeEuC8wQyCkIKzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGeZZr_p6vB8&usg=AFQjCNFbnwGJ6aQ02iTwakh0UP14yfkpKg

It is a difficult choice for me:

Do I have more hate for country music or for rap?

38 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

It is a difficult choice for me:

Do I have more hate for country music or for rap?

let's see

It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes 

vs

I've been washed down the sink of your conscience In the theater of your love I lost my part And now you say you've got me out of your conscience I've been flushed from the bathroom of your heart

Hmmm. Not that hard to decide. really.

5 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

You are free to practice none or whatever religion you choose. 

Why rip on other people's opium?? 

Well I dunno ... maybe in some twisted way I am doing my part to stop the planet being torn apart by deluded fuckwits?

7 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Journalism perhaps? Just because weathermen are hired because of their nice teeth doesn't mean they know jack shit about what they are reading of the teleprompter.

A week ago we had 'the Thousand year storm'. This week we had 'the storm of the century'. All brought to you by Walmart and MacDonalds.

You and Randy-pandy should get a room and a large tube of KY jelly.

10 hours ago, random said:

The pope was very impressive in the statement, considering that the scientists can't support his God theory. 

And those who do not support that will go to hell, apparently.  Oh, and they will if they use contraception, or don't go to church or a few other things.  Bit if they confess (and maybe put a few pennies in the plate) ... they are forgiven!  Fucking awesome religion that one.  Do it, confess, do it, confess.

Mate if you can't leave that shit alone maybe just smoke the leaf.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, Gouvernail said:

Irma was only the 7th  (or 17th) most powerful tropical storm ,,,, so ,,, no...

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, Gouvernail said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/8-most-powerful-storms-record-make-landfall-f2D11570756

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_intense_tropical_cyclones#North_Atlantic_Ocean

Find another weatherman

8 hours ago, warbird said:

Irma was only the 7th  (or 17th) most powerful tropical storm ,,,, so ,,, no...

Definitely not the most powerful on record, unless you're talking only the Atlantic excluding the Gulf and Caribbean.

http://time.com/4935449/hurricane-irma-records/

Irma set plenty of records, according to a two-page list compiled by Colorado State University researcher Phil Klotzbach:

• Its 185 mph (297 kph) winds were the highest on record for the open Atlantic ocean, outside the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean sea. Only one other storm in the entire Atlantic basin — 1980's Allen — was stronger.
  • It spent three consecutive days as a top-of-the-scale Category 5 hurricane, the longest in the satellite era.
  • It generated the second most Accumulated Cyclone Energy — a key measurement that combines strength and duration — in the satellite era. Irma generated about as much as energy as entire normal Atlantic hurricane season.
  • It was the strongest storm to hit the Leeward Islands.
  • It's the first Category 5 hurricane to hit Cuba, which regularly gets assaulted by hurricanes, in nearly 100 years.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Definitely not the most powerful on record, unless you're talking only the Atlantic excluding the Gulf and Caribbean.

http://time.com/4935449/hurricane-irma-records/

Irma set plenty of records, according to a two-page list compiled by Colorado State University researcher Phil Klotzbach:

• Its 185 mph (297 kph) winds were the highest on record for the open Atlantic ocean, outside the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean sea. Only one other storm in the entire Atlantic basin — 1980's Allen — was stronger.
  • It spent three consecutive days as a top-of-the-scale Category 5 hurricane, the longest in the satellite era.
  • It generated the second most Accumulated Cyclone Energy — a key measurement that combines strength and duration — in the satellite era. Irma generated about as much as energy as entire normal Atlantic hurricane season.
  • It was the strongest storm to hit the Leeward Islands.
  • It's the first Category 5 hurricane to hit Cuba, which regularly gets assaulted by hurricanes, in nearly 100 years.

"Allen" and "Cuba" also had 185 mph winds.

1 hour ago, warbird said:

"Allen" and "Cuba" also had 185 mph winds.

Actually closer to 186 mph. Nearly blew some dinosaurs over! 

So trump has said Harvey and Irma were the biggest storms ever and his admin was doing a great job dealing with them.  Then when the logical next question is asked about does he think climate change is responsible, he contradicts himself saying that there were lots of storms bigger.  Do trump supporters get nauseous from all the flip flops?

On 9/12/2017 at 3:41 PM, austin1972 said:

I saw this the other day and though of you :)  Time for a new tractor!

scan0017.jpg

More scientists are moderating their positions on warming. Anyone who suspected that the warming threat was overstated has been labeled a denier by the believers around here which raises an interesting question... If a scientist believes that prior predictions overstated the threat does he also become a denier?

"Myles Allen, professor of geosystem science at the University of Oxford and one of the study’s authors told The Times: “We haven’t seen that rapid acceleration in warming after 2000 that we see in the models. We haven’t seen that in the observations.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-global-warming-paris-climate-agreement-nature-geoscience-myles-allen-michael-grubb-a7954496.html

2 hours ago, cmilliken said:

I saw this the other day and though of you :)  Time for a new tractor!

scan0017.jpg

Ha, yeah you could probably buy 2 new Ferraris for that kit. I'm just a little farm. The only new equipment I have is a 60" Exmark ZTR to mow the yard. Some of my stuff goes back to the 1960s.

David Rose Fudged Numbers To Claim Climate Scientists "Confess[ed]" To Lower Warming. The Mail on Sunday published an article on September 14 originally titled "World's top climate scientists confess: Global warming is just HALF what we thought." In the article, reporter David Rose claimed that the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was set to admit that the world is warming more slowly than previously thought. A climate scientist explained to the UK watchdog group Carbon Brief why Rose's numbers were "completely incorrect" and that the true revision was minor -- from 0.13 degrees Celsius per decade to 0.12 degrees Celsius:

However, three of those four scientists subsequently criticized Rose, with two saying they were misrepresented in the article. Climate scientist Myles Allen said that Rose misrepresented his view by claiming that he now thought the world was on the course for much lower warming than he previously thought. Allen said that he "certainly never suggested to David that my assessment of the odds on any particular level of warming by 2100 had changed."