Dex Sawash

Forum change

13 minutes ago, dacapo said:

forum change and now we have a shitton of spam in SA ;-)

A previously unannounced feature of the new scheme.<_<

5 hours ago, Simple Jeff said:

I actually think lack of signature is a good thing.  They were getting stupidly out of control.

That's because only stupid people had them....

5 hours ago, ease the sheet said:

That's because only stupid people had them....

Smart people learnt to block them a long time ago. 

Just sayin' 

I keenly miss being able to 'preview' the most recent un-read post and most recent post, with number of unread posts shown, and option to mark as read, go to first unread, or back out with no changes.  Can you bring that back, B.J.?!  Assuming it isn't there already and I just haven't found it again...

48 minutes ago, groundhog said:

I keenly miss being able to 'preview' the most recent un-read post and most recent post, with number of unread posts shown, and option to mark as read, go to first unread, or back out with no changes.  Can you bring that back, B.J.?!  Assuming it isn't there already and I just haven't found it again...

+1

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

I must say the screen name thing has been pretty funny.

Like looking at a high school yearbook 

It sure is a lot of work tp learn the new system but it pretty much provides the same experience .

i miss the days when every new update had oodles of nifty new features 

anyway.. 

as boys  seem to be wearing their pants this way these days I figured I should join in 

IMG_2663.JPG

• Like 1

God I hate change. I wonder if everyone's ignore lists got wiped...

Tony.jpg

I do like that you can now see your Warning point history. And that you can now pick your own title.

Very good work.

14 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I do like that you can now see your Warning point history. And that you can now pick your own title.

Very good work.

I think other members should be able to change your title/puff piece.

49 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Very good work.

That may go away. It was intentionally disabled in the old version. 

At first glanceit looks like the board got configured to Default/Vanilla config.

We'll be anchoring in an our or so l, I'll start digging in more then.

That "a few simple rules" appears at the top of every single page. Is there a way to turn that off?

On 5/6/2017 at 1:21 AM, MisterMoon said:

My big complaint so far is all the Political Anarchy crap showing up in "Unread Posts". 

That was a special tweak somewhere that I think Dave T figured out. It must have gotten over written in the upgrade.

We'll get to it...

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

That "a few simple rules" appears at the top of every single page. Is there a way to turn that off?

Ought to be gone now.

The Default with "Announcements" now seems to be "Annoy the Living Crap Out of Everyone With It Until You Take it Down" which is sort of a stupid mode.

Probably have to find a way to do it differently, with a pinned topic or something. Again, I'm just exploring stuff, too.

1 hour ago, inhiding said:

So we are depending on a guy out sailing somewhere to fix things?

Piss poor way to run things.

You get what you pay for. ;)

23 minutes ago, mad said:

Free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!! :D

29 minutes ago, mad said:

While you may not get what you pay for, you most certainly will not get what you don't pay for.

Forgive my ignorance.  I just tried to include a link the way you guys taught me to do it - by bracketing the url with those prefixes and suffixes.  I just tried that in this post, and the inclusion of them made it all wonky, so I edited them out.

I just want to be able to include a link that says "Read this" and by clicking on those words, the reader can do so.

41 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Forgive my ignorance.  I just tried to include a link the way you guys taught me to do it - by bracketing the url with those prefixes and suffixes.  I just tried that in this post, and the inclusion of them made it all wonky, so I edited them out.

I just want to be able to include a link that says "Read this" and by clicking on those words, the reader can do so.

I'm not sure quote what you are trying to do here...

26 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I tried including a link in PA the way I've always done it.  Instead of the link being a comment I made, underlined and in blue text, I got the url showing as if I just pasted it in the middle of a sentence.  Maybe I made a careless mistake.  Will try again.

28 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I think what he is trying to achieve is like your link to your blog in the last line of your signature

but I could be wrong

1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

I tried including a link in PA the way I've always done it.  Instead of the link being a comment I made, underlined and in blue text, I got the url showing as if I just pasted it in the middle of a sentence.  Maybe I made a careless mistake.  Will try again.

I always just selected the text, then clicked the link button, then pasted the link in. Like this link to my blog....

It seems the BBCode option has disappeared; for me I see a SOURCE link now with takes me to raw HTTP, not to the old BBCode that uses the square bracket links.

8 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

"BBCode" is basically a tag based HTTP lite that a lot of forums use to let you directly tag things.

I just did a test. You CAN paste the BBCode  with the Square bracket and URL tag.

This is a test below, typed in with the [u r l] tag (spaces to prevent execution).

THis is a guide to making links with BBCode

The new version of the board seems to take the [ ] BBCode tags and interprets them correctly, BUT you can't go back and edit it again with BBCode.

I think that's another..."issue"...with the new version. There are threads on the Invision suppport boards.

On Fri May 05 2017 at 0:14 PM, SloopJonB said:

Exactly - different but the same.

How much effort does our society put into this sort of time wasting? I have probably spent more time learning to use new phones than I did learning to be a mainframe computer operator at IBM in the early 70's.

If you ain't making it better, leave it alone.

I wonder this myself, the hours we waste learning the new way. We could have invented the wheel by now. On the flip side it keeps our brains functioning. Think of an up-grade as an anti-dementia exersize. 

On another note, I've never understood why people change their screen names. It's not like the personality changes with the new name. It ends up being just another name to add to the ignor list!

18 minutes ago, sailingk8 said:

I wonder this myself, the hours we waste learning the new way. We could have invented the wheel by now. On the flip side it keeps our brains functioning. Think of an up-grade as an anti-dementia exersize. 

On another note, I've never understood why people change their screen names. It's not like the personality changes with the new name. It ends up being just another name to add to the ignor list!

You don't even need to add the new name to the ignore list!

Problem is technology keeps progressing, and there are better, easier ways to do things that used to be harder.

BUT...once we over-developed monkey beings find a way we like to do things, we really dislike having to learn a new way to do it.

The BB Code feature is a good example. Those [tag codes] made tons and tons of sense in the old plain text days of formatless editors. They STILL make sense if you hang out on someplace like Reddit that does have a modern editor. But they don't make so much sense when you have a fully functional, word processor style editor.

But if you make it go away, a lot of people that used to know how to do something all of a sudden are left screaming because it doesn't work any more. So you have to leave it out there, make it backwards compatible, but maybe not have it sitting in the foreground as the way it's done any more.

Credit where credit is due:

1. After posting and hitting the browser's back button, the old site used to re-open the post editor page, this one's smart enough to take me back to the thread.

2. If you're viewing a list of unread posts and click on one to go to the thread, when you return via the back button the list has been updated without needing to refresh the page

3. If someone posts to a thread while you're editing, the site will notify you if a new post has been added even as you edit. 

Basically, it seems like the new software is doing a lot more dynamic updating rather than waiting for the web client to request updated content. 

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

"BBCode" is basically a tag based HTTP lite that a lot of forums use to let you directly tag things.

I just did a test. You CAN paste the BBCode  with the Square bracket and URL tag.

This is a test below, typed in with the [u r l] tag (spaces to prevent execution).

THis is a guide to making links with BBCode

The new version of the board seems to take the [ ] BBCode tags and interprets them correctly, BUT you can't go back and edit it again with BBCode.

I think that's another..."issue"...with the new version. There are threads on the Invision suppport boards.

BJ, I was sure you had mentioned that you can't put example code in a post as it will just be executed, and I know that previous versions of SA have had code quotes disabled, but it appears its been enabled as it is on most other forums (the angle brackets button on the edit tool bar). <>

Linking with no link title
[url]https://www.bbcode.org/[/url]
Linking to a named site
[url=https://www.bbcode.org/]This be bbcode.org![/url]

1 minute ago, oldgoatroper said:

BJ, I was sure you had mentioned that you can't put example code in a post as it will just be executed, and I know that previous versions of SA have had code quotes disabled, but it appears its been enabled as it is on most other forums (the angle brackets button on the edit tool bar). <>

Linking with no link title
[url]https://www.bbcode.org/[/url]
Linking to a named site
[url=https://www.bbcode.org/]This be bbcode.org![/url]

Cool, good to see it can be done.

I could be wrong, but isn't that basically a way to kluge it? Essentially you're telling the editor "This is a hunk of HTML and interpret it as such" then typing in BB Code instead?

It works though, so you can end around it. You just can't type the BB Code in straight.

[b]This should be bold[/b]

I'm still learning the capabilities of this new software too. I don't actually have a "What to know if you just upgraded from version 3" guide or any documentation I've not found on the Invision site myself yet.

20 minutes ago, IStream said:

Credit where credit is due:

1. After posting and hitting the browser's back button, the old site used to re-open the post editor page, this one's smart enough to take me back to the thread.

2. If you're viewing a list of unread posts and click on one to go to the thread, when you return via the back button the list has been updated without needing to refresh the page

3. If someone posts to a thread while you're editing, the site will notify you if a new post has been added even as you edit. 

Basically, it seems like the new software is doing a lot more dynamic updating rather than waiting for the web client to request updated content. 

My understanding is Version 4 of the forum software is basically a ground up re-write. So it's not a new interface bolted onto the old architecture, so they've re-thought how a lot of things can work when they re-did it.

They've managed to allow the databases to be migrated, but even then it's likely there is some new data in V4 that doesn't show up on legacy data. But that should be mostly transparent to us.

8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Ought to be gone now.

The Default with "Announcements" now seems to be "Annoy the Living Crap Out of Everyone With It Until You Take it Down" which is sort of a stupid mode.

Probably have to find a way to do it differently, with a pinned topic or something. Again, I'm just exploring stuff, too.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

Thanks

The old software just put a one line note at the top you could click. This seems to want to show most of the message, if it's long like the "Few Simple Rules" announcement was.

17 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Holy shit, my screen name reverted back to..... oh wait, I have always been BiilDBastard!

Any clue how to change your screen name? I didn't see an option. In fact I can't even find a 'user cp' fukamacallit thingy.....

4 minutes ago, Rick Booth said:

Any clue how to change your screen name? I didn't see an option. In fact I can't even find a 'user cp' fukamacallit thingy.....

It's in the upper right hand corner, where your name is.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:49 PM, Alex W said:

I posted directions for this earlier in the thread. It was the first thing that I figured out when I saw the new software. 

Thank you

5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

You don't even need to add the new name to the ignore list!

Problem is technology keeps progressing, and there are better, easier ways to do things that used to be harder.

BUT...once we over-developed monkey beings find a way we like to do things, we really dislike having to learn a new way to do it.

The BB Code feature is a good example. Those [tag codes] made tons and tons of sense in the old plain text days of formatless editors. They STILL make sense if you hang out on someplace like Reddit that does have a modern editor. But they don't make so much sense when you have a fully functional, word processor style editor.

But if you make it go away, a lot of people that used to know how to do something all of a sudden are left screaming because it doesn't work any more. So you have to leave it out there, make it backwards compatible, but maybe not have it sitting in the foreground as the way it's done any more.

I wasn't referring to just this issue. Being involved with graphic design the corps are always coming up with new or improved programs to learn. I taught myself QuarkxPress and Photoshop back in the dark ages, so after those not much trips me up. (Except programming, gag. Although playing around with the old forum even taught me a little about that. I had Basic in college but the teacher had such a thick Indian accent and all those endless loops made me dizzy. I'll leave that crap up to you BJ).

5 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Gottit.....

Tourist!

5 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

See moan, essay....

:lol:

3 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

I wasn't referring to just this issue. Being involved with graphic design the corps are always coming up with new or improved programs to learn. I taught myself QuarkxPress and Photoshop back in the dark ages, so after those not much trips me up. (Except programming, gag. Although playing around with the old forum even taught me a little about that. I had Basic in college but the teacher had such a thick Indian accent and all those endless loops made me dizzy. I'll leave that crap up to you BJ).

I took Basic in the early 90's, having not worked at programming at the time is was all gibberish. Once you get your hands into the work it all comes together.

I'm now better at reading code and knowing what it is doing than writing it. Probably just age.

As to the upgrade, security is always the driving force. But before I ever ran any upgrades, I always ran a dry run (on my own server) and had skins ready to go. Do you guys ever remember an upgrade that took so long and looked so plain for so long? Free help is hard to come by.

1 hour ago, meet wad said:

I took Basic in the early 90's, having not worked at programming at the time is was all gibberish. Once you get your hands into the work it all comes together.

I'm now better at reading code and knowing what it is doing than writing it. Probably just age.

As to the upgrade, security is always the driving force. But before I ever ran any upgrades, I always ran a dry run (on my own server) and had skins ready to go. Do you guys ever remember an upgrade that took so long and looked so plain for so long? Free help is hard to come by.

This could have been smoother; I wasn't much involved. It was done by the web support guys.

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

This could have been smoother; I wasn't much involved. It was done by the web support guys.

Hell, we're not blaming you. It's good of you to step up and work on it, considering you are gone cruising.

Just now, Ishmael said:

Hell, we're not blaming you. It's good of you to step up and work on it, considering you are gone cruising.

Well, I was the one that bitched loudly and kept pestering Scot to get it done, since I was sick to death of manually approving new user accounts to prevent spammers.

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm not laying blame, I am just saying that shit like this takes some planning. Never jump into an upgrade without looking at the finished product first. It takes a bit of work, but that is the nature of the beast. If you pay for it, it had better go smooth or you better have someone who has your back.

1 minute ago, meet wad said:

I'm not laying blame, I am just saying that shit like this takes some planning. Never jump into an upgrade without looking at the finished product first. It takes a bit of work, but that is the nature of the beast. If you pay for it, it had better go smooth or you better have someone who has your back.

Yeah, there should be a staging/testing server in any environment where you want to maintain consistency and up time during upgrades and changes.

The worst part of this for me is that I had ZERO chance to see the Moderator side of this, or any of the real feature set changes before it happened.

When we moved to the new forums back in 2003, by the time they went live I knew the tools fairly well. I've been learning this by feel since the upgrade happened, so I've not been as useful as I could have.

28 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Yeah, there should be a staging/testing server in any environment where you want to maintain consistency and up time during upgrades and changes.

The worst part of this for me is that I had ZERO chance to see the Moderator side of this, or any of the real feature set changes before it happened.

When we moved to the new forums back in 2003, by the time they went live I knew the tools fairly well. I've been learning this by feel since the upgrade happened, so I've not been as useful as I could have.

I hear ya. I had my own domain and always ran the new software prior too implementation.

One good thing I see about this upgrade is when quoting, you do not get all the prior quotes. So there is no need to see the code to make sure you have the correct number of opening and closing tags.

Someone was thinking.

Just now, meet wad said:
31 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I hear ya. I had my own domain and always ran the new software prior too implementation.

One good thing I see about this upgrade is when quoting, you do not get all the prior quotes. So there is no need to see the code to make sure you have the correct number of opening and closing tags.

Someone was thinking.

But you can still nest quotes! You just have to do it intentionally, instead of accidentally.

Select all the text with the quote you want to nest, wait a second and "Quote This" pops up. Click and a go.

cool new feature, CRTL+W opens up some cool views that i don't think were in the old version, 

got me, too... :D

cool new feature, CRTL+W opens up some cool views that i don't think were in the old version, 

Oh, and by the way, this was in the old version...

On 8/05/2017 at 2:12 PM, B.J. Porter said:
On 8/05/2017 at 2:11 PM, meet wad said:
On 8/05/2017 at 1:40 PM, B.J. Porter said:

Someone was thinking.

But you can still nest quotes! You just have to do it intentionally, instead of accidentally.

Select all the text with the quote you want to nest, wait a second and "Quote This" pops up. Click and a go.

Ohh, now I get it.  Thanks BJ.

Just now, floating dutchman said:
On 8/05/2017 at 2:12 PM, B.J. Porter said:
On 8/05/2017 at 2:11 PM, meet wad said:

Someone was thinking.

Ohh, now I get it.  Thanks BJ.

I could get used to this.

Jesus jumping jihadist crispy Christ on a cracked crutch- 

i go away for 5 days racing and you bucket cunted cock jockeys go and remodel the place after some saltine discussion forum... 

im not a fan... of saltines or the new format. 

Of course I realize my opinion is worthless but given the fact that they're free and abundant I figured I'd lob one out there-

inbred hillbilly stumpfucks fucking with shit...knock it off!

From the forum home screen, I keep hitting the blue dot to enter a subforum.

That blue dot marks the subforum "read". Frustrating but you have to be smarter than the GUI.

3 hours ago, USA190520 said:

Jesus jumping jihadist crispy Christ on a cracked crutch- 

i go away for 5 days racing and you bucket cunted cock jockeys go and remodel the place after some saltine discussion forum... 

im not a fan... of saltines or the new format. 

Of course I realize my opinion is worthless but given the fact that they're free and abundant I figured I'd lob one out there-

inbred hillbilly stumpfucks fucking with shit...knock it off!

Welcome to the real world where shit happens.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't keep a straight face.

Fucking smarmy-ass racer with matching foulies, headband and underwear.

See? Nothing's changed.

I dunno...maybe it has.

Let's run a test;

Dan "Grifter" ************.

Clock starts now....

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Welcome to the real world where shit happens.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't keep a straight face.

Fucking smarmy-ass racer with matching foulies, headband and underwear.

See? Nothing's changed.

No headband, no underwear

free your head

15 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

15 hours ago, oldgoatroper said:

got me, too... :D

Oh, and by the way, this was in the old version...

15 hours ago, hobot said:

Facker!!

:lol:

14 hours ago, d'ranger said:

That may be the most productive shortcut ever.  :D

y'all should try ALT-F4 as well, that actually reverts you back to the old forum. Don't tell BJ, though. 

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

y'all should try ALT-F4 as well, that actually reverts you back to the old forum. Don't tell BJ, though. 

ALT-F4, yea, isn't that the one that trips opens the trapdoor beneath the victim's feet and then they slide down a chute into a windowless room where there is a television playing VOID HO non-stop?

Yea, not gonna fall for that one!

21 hours ago, hobot said:

ALT-F4, yea, isn't that the one that trips opens the trapdoor beneath the victim's feet and then they slide down a chute into a windowless room where there is a television playing VOID HO non-stop?

Yea, not gonna fall for that one!

Same here.  

Just like jumping off a bridge because my friends did it.  

Not gonna do that...............................................again.