• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
B.J. Porter

New Version - Official Issues/Comment Thread

I'm going to pin this on the top of GA for now...

This new version of the Forumware is a HUGE upgrade. And pretty much mandatory. Official support for the old version we were running ended on 4/1/17, so we literally had no choice but to upgrade in order to keep getting security enhancements, or even basic problems and questions dealt with. So when it comes to whining about hating the change, you need to just HTFU and recognize this had to happen to keep the site functional and secure. There was is no going back, and we had to move forward.

That being said, the software has changed a LOT of how we used to do things on SA. Some features seem to have disappeared (e.g. "User Name History") and many custom settings and tweaks we made were either over ridden or reset to the "Default" option for the board. The Moderation team is still learning the ins and outs of the software. Unfortunately, due to the critical rush to get the upgrade done it wasn't possible to take a leisure time running a staging site where I could learn all this new stuff and set it back to what we're used to. So we're going to have to sort it, find it, and fix it. And we might like some of the new stuff.

To wit, I've started this thread explicitly to get your comments, thoughts, bug reports, odd features, and "it didn't used to do THAT" observations all in one place.

Please don't whine, bitch and moan about how you hate the new board in this thread. A lot of you don't like change, I get that...I listened to all the pissing and moaning last time we did a major upgrade.

But what I DO want is all the weird shit you've noticed that no longer works the same way, doesn't work the way you've like it, etc.

I'll start with a couple of things I've noticed:

• "New Content" no longer excludes PA. You will have to deal with this for a while. This is a specific tweak that Dave T. did back in the day, and I don't know how he did it. It was done once, it can be repeated, but I need to track down the snippet of code that got over written.
  • Certain default notifications that didn't exist before are on, and enabled by default. Eg. "When someone quotes me", "When someone mentions me", etc. You can turn them off in your own profiles, so I'm not going to disable the defaults for now. I may later, depending on user feedback if it's bugging the crap out of everyone.
  • For a brief moment you could edit your account labels...that used to be disabled, I re-disabled it.
  • It seems you need to go back to your original login name to log in, it's not clear what has happened to Display Names that were defined at the time of the upgrade.
  • The "Display Name History" feature seems to have gone away. I dislike this, and want to figure out how to bring it back.
  • You always had a one Name Change/30 days rule, though some of you are discovering it for the first time this week...

So, here is what I want from you guys in this thread...IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING.

If there is some feature that is missing, or is weird, or is new and irritating...post it here.

First unread post on a thread.

i have been clicking on the biggest page number but I still have to scroll to get to where I left off. 

I used to couch onntge most recent post and back up to where I left off.

can we do either of those?? I haven't figured out how yet

and:

i just found notes from both you and Scott issuing me warning points a long time ago. I may have seen your. It's but I never had previously seen Scott's note. 

Previous mobile version took you to the first new post when you clickes on the thread title. Now you need to specifically hit the round or star icon next to the thread. Not a big deal but would be nice ro have back. 

The announcement at the top of the page takes up an entire screen at the top of every page. I realise it's required but maybe only on the main forum page? 

Previously you could click the 'next' button at the end of a thread and it would take you back to the top of the page. This no longer works. Would be nice to have back. 

Thanks

numbering of individual posts in a thread are no longer numbered. Was good reference point rather than quoting the post in question.

1 hour ago, Merrill Levi said:

numbering of individual posts in a thread are no longer numbered. Was good reference point rather than quoting the post in question.

That's a humongous bitch-fest item over on the IPB support forums. They just...eliminated it...without asking, or telling anyone. And a lot of forums refer to it.

I found a plug in that re-installs it, we'll see about trying it out over the next few days.

BB Code

This is a pretty big change, if you were one of those that used the "View Code" button.

BB Code is an older markup language that harkens back to the days before WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) visual editors. It allowed you to mark your plain text code up with square bracket [  ] tags in a standardized format to stick in links, bold, italics, quotes, font changes, and whatever else you could make it do.

In the old version of the Forums, when you hit the "View Source" button on the upper left, it took you to the BB Code mockup of what the post would look like.

It appears the decision was made that since BB Code is essentially an old, legacy tool that is no longer needed with a visual editor, that they could get away from direct support of it. So from how I'm seeing it and testing it, you CAN drop BBCode into your posts. But if you edit them again it won't be there, it will just be formatted again in the Editor, and no BB Code will show.

If you click the Source button now, what you get now is actual HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language), which is the raw stuff of web pages. In theory, it's better because you can really do a lot more with it...assuming you know HTML. Most of you do not, however, so it will do you less good to fiddle with it.

But the takeaway...

• If you like formatting your posts with [  ] BB Code tags, you still can. It WILL work for the most part
  • If you later Edit a post you put BB Code into, the BB Code will likely not be there.

Oh yeah, remember to close your tags. That means use the [/ ] close tag for whatever you've BB Coded.

If you don't things get ugly fast.

Unfortunately I can't easily and explicitly type out examples, because the second I type in some BB Code, it gets interpreted into the post and disappears.

If you didn't use this feature, don't worry about it.

I like the blue line indicating limit of previously read posts in a thread.

I would really like to see the "first unread post" and "most recent post" preview button back in threads - gives us the option of marking a thread read without having to go to it and without being blind about the content we are skipping.

No doubt there are other features I haven't figured out yet, but I do tend to learn the minimum function of a programme and then move on to other things....

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

That's a humongous bitch-fest item over on the IPB support forums. They just...eliminated it...without asking, or telling anyone. And a lot of forums refer to it.

I found a plug in that re-installs it, we'll see about trying it out over the next few days.

Hmmm...it seems that quotes are NOT nesting. This should have Merrill Levi's quote inside it.

I'm thinking there is a switch out there somewhere I've got to throw to turn it back on.

5 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

First unread post on a thread.

i have been clicking on the biggest page number but I still have to scroll to get to where I left off. 

I used to couch onntge most recent post and back up to where I left off.

can we do either of those?? I haven't figured out how yet

and:

i just found notes from both you and Scott issuing me warning points a long time ago. I may have seen your. It's but I never had previously seen Scott's note. 

I think you can click the star (or the dot, if you haven't posted in it) to the left of the thread title in the main forum list to get to the first unread.

25 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Hmmm...it seems that quotes are NOT nesting. This should have Merrill Levi's quote inside it.

I'm thinking there is a switch out there somewhere I've got to throw to turn it back on.

Yep, I was going to post that nested quotes are not working, but you found it already.  You can seemingly quote the immediate text of the previous poster, but not the rest of the history of the post that person was quoting.  That will be a Bigly change if there isn't a way to turn that back on.

5 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I think you can click the star (or the dot, if you haven't posted in it) to the left of the thread title in the main forum list to get to the first unread.

Correct.  That works the way it always did AFAICT.  I think clicking on the thread title always took you to the first post even if you had previously been in there before.  So clicking the star or the dot was the only way to go to last unread post IME.

Nested quotes are an abomination that creates unreadable textwalls. If I've lost the plot, I'm happy to scroll back up. Attempting to edit out the extra crap often breaks the quote which is even worse. Just wanted to get my vote in there. 

Can you enable users to select how many posts per page are displayed? The old setting is way too many posts/page. If you are coming in to a thread that has a lot of posts already,  the only way to be sure you see it all is to read an entire page at once. Currently that can take a large chunk of time. 30/page seems like a reasonable setting. Fewer posts/page setting probably hammers the server more, if that is a concern, but generates more ad views too.

In the spirit of anarchy, any chance of letting users add tags to threads they didn't create? I promise not to make too many jokes in the tags.

Thanks for the hard work, B.J.

There is no "undo" icon that I've found.

There is no font alternative feature.

There is to "move indent" feature.

11 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately) - there is no jocal505 to English translation button either.  

18 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

Those are easy to add in. I already put the "Remove Format" button back.

I need talk to da boss man before I start wholesale overhauling stuff on the UI, though

25 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

Undo -- just use your standard keyboard shortcut, jocal -- in Windows it is Ctrl-Z, and I don't know what it is for a Mac. You don't need a button for everything...

And it is quite strange that the editor supports numbered and bulleted lists, but not indenting. That's wacky.

And I certainly hope that font selection can be added back -- not used a lot but can be quite useful, say, when inserting some text from an article.

<edit> I just saw your reply, BJ

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

Those are easy to add in. I already put the "Remove Format" button back.

I need talk to da boss man before I start wholesale overhauling stuff on the UI, though

Screw it, I put 'em all back on. I think I need to reorder them though, move the font stuff next to the bold, etc.

3 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Screw it, I put 'em all back on. I think I need to reorder them though, move the font stuff next to the bold, etc.

The Undo/Redo got unwieldy so I took them off.

Otherwise, I think it's better.

5 minutes ago, oldgoatroper said:

Undo -- just use your standard keyboard shortcut, jocal -- in Windows it is Ctrl-Z, and I don't know what it is for a Mac. You don't need a button for everything...

And it is quite strange that the editor supports numbered and bulleted lists, but not indenting. That's wacky.

And I certainly hope that font selection can be added back -- not used a lot but can be quite useful, say, when inserting some text from an article.

<edit> I just saw your reply, BJ

I wonder if I can come up with a single button to flag something with the Sarcasm Font automatically.

And I was not notified of this impending Neanderthalistic drastic make-over......why?.....

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

BB Code

This is a pretty big change, if you were one of those that used the "View Code" button.

BB Code is an older markup language that harkens back to the days before WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) visual editors. It allowed you to mark your plain text code up with square bracket [  ] tags in a standardized format to stick in links, bold, italics, quotes, font changes, and whatever else you could make it do.

In the old version of the Forums, when you hit the "View Source" button on the upper left, it took you to the BB Code mockup of what the post would look like.

It appears the decision was made that since BB Code is essentially an old, legacy tool that is no longer needed with a visual editor, that they could get away from direct support of it. So from how I'm seeing it and testing it, you CAN drop BBCode into your posts. But if you edit them again it won't be there, it will just be formatted again in the Editor, and no BB Code will show.

If you click the Source button now, what you get now is actual HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language), which is the raw stuff of web pages. In theory, it's better because you can really do a lot more with it...assuming you know HTML. Most of you do not, however, so it will do you less good to fiddle with it.

But the takeaway...

• If you like formatting your posts with [  ] BB Code tags, you still can. It WILL work for the most part
  • If you later Edit a post you put BB Code into, the BB Code will likely not be there.

Oh yeah, remember to close your tags. That means use the [/ ] close tag for whatever you've BB Coded.

If you don't things get ugly fast.

Unfortunately I can't easily and explicitly type out examples, because the second I type in some BB Code, it gets interpreted into the post and disappears.

If you didn't use this feature, don't worry about it.

Where is the "Source" button?  I would really miss that ability to edit raw text (bbcode or HTML).  Makes cleaning up quote tags and creating "complex" posts easier.

The Undo/Redo got unwieldy so I took them off.

Otherwise, I think it's better.

Oh no!  Undo is fundamental to recovering from accidents, please don't remove that.

The "Code" tag ("<>") usually supports any wacky text you want to type into it:

I would like to [b]emphasize[/b] this
[url]http://www.hello.com[/url]

Inserting an image from a url no longer has an icon?  But can be done using the "Insert other media" at bottom right...?  Will try it below; seems to work as before:

flaps_divided.png

3 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Where is the "Source" button?  I would really miss that ability to edit raw text (bbcode or HTML).  Makes cleaning up quote tags and creating "complex" posts easier.

Oh no!  Undo is fundamental to recovering from accidents, please don't remove that.

The "Code" tag ("<>") usually supports any wacky text you want to type into it:

I would like to [b]emphasize[/b] this
[url]http://www.hello.com[/url]

Inserting an image from a url no longer has an icon?  But can be done using the "Insert other media" at bottom right...?  Will try it below; seems to work as before:

flaps_divided.png

Someone else pointed out that Undo is a system hotkey on every OS.

I can easily add it if people want it, but it's just Ctrl-Z on your Windows PC.

The "Source" button is in the upper left hand corner, next to Bold.

There is an add-in out there that will replace that HTML source with BB Code for editing. I do not know 1) what if costs and 2) if we really want to do that.

Dex is spot on. 

Nested quotes were  a pain in the ass here. Especially on a smartphone. Maybe a limit of 3 or 4 and then the early posts get dropped. I recall scrolling 50+ swipes to get to the unread portion of a single post. 

I was as grumpy as Jeffy In an airport full of slow fat smokers

10 minutes ago, Rick Booth said:

And I was not notified of this impending Neanderthalistic drastic make-over......why?.....

We thought you was turned into a toad.

3 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

The "Source" button is in the upper left hand corner, next to Bold.

Maybe cuz you're an admin, BJ

7 minutes ago, Rick Booth said:

We knew it would confuse and irritate you, so we wanted it to be a surprise.

Just now, oldgoatroper said:

Maybe cuz you're an admin, BJ

Oh yeah, you're right. It's where the old view BB Code button is.

I'll have to look into getting that BB Code editor to replace the missing button.

Now for the real Money Shot, at least as far as I'm concerned. The upgraded BBS and it's Spam checking capabilities shitcanned 22 spammers in the last 24 hours without my being bothered one bit by it. Didn't have to do a thing, they just got boxed out and blocked.

2 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

We knew it would confuse and irritate you, so we wanted it to be a surprise.

That's some first-class, SA-style moderation right there. I like this place a lot.

16 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I wonder if I can come up with a single button to flag something with the Sarcasm Font automatically.

Yeah, I was about to ask how the heck you can do sarcasm without the correct font and color.  A single sarcasm click button would be amazing!!!

1 minute ago, atefooterz said:

Major bummer not being able to explain why [ urgh ] insert dribble [ / uggh] legacy things are so yesterday..

65147358.jpg

1 minute ago, IStream said:

That's some first-class, SA-style moderation right there. I like this place a lot.

Personal service is our hallmark.

9 minutes ago, dorado said:

Dex is spot on. 

Nested quotes were  a pain in the ass here. Especially on a smartphone. Maybe a limit of 3 or 4 and then the early posts get dropped. I recall scrolling 50+ swipes to get to the unread portion of a single post. 

I was as grumpy as Jeffy In an airport full of slow fat smokers

HA!  Now THAT is grumpy!

I'm staring to agree with the nested quotes.  Works fine in a full laptop, but a HUGE PITA on a smartphone!  Maybe we could have a max of two nested quotes rather than just one?  Sometimes without that context of the one post before, a reply often makes no sense.

Is there gonna be a more official/intricate 'desk top' version for when you're using you're phone? 'Cuz right now on my EyeFone it looks about as sophisticated and detailed as the very first internet porn site ever made......

9 minutes ago, dorado said:

We thought you was turned into a toad.

HE'S ALIVE!!!!

Just now, atefooterz said:

How long? i saw stuff from Korea that lasted over 2 hours, it would have been a pain & almost taken that long manually, if different accounts.

They never got in here.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, we had a module that I had Scot install that searched a known database of reported spammers based on username, e-mail, and IP addresses reported from various forums. That broke, and we couldn't make it work with our old, unsupported software version.

The new version has that functionality built it. So anyone trying to register with any information like that that matches a known spammer database will be blocked at registration and not allowed to create accounts.

By the time the spam shows up here as a post, it's too late - they're in and have a login. A moderator (usually Zapata or me) has to go and flag them as a Spammer, which bans them and nukes all their content.

I've noticed that the new board is putting a lot more vertical space in for a carriage return than the old board and that is making some signatures very long -- mine was taking up half my screen.

But... I found that instead of using the <Enter> key between lines, and using <Shift-Enter>, instead -- reduces the amount of space between lines, but quite a bit...

1 minute ago, Rick Booth said:

Is there gonna be a more official/intricate 'desk top' version for when you're using you're phone? 'Cuz right now on my EyeFone it looks about as sophisticated and detailed as the very first internet porn site ever made......

Well, at least you'll be used to using it one handed then.

What's there is what's there, there are supposed to be improvements. I don't have one of those Apple phones, so I can't tell how awful it looks. It looks OK on my Android.

3 minutes ago, Simple Jeff said:

HA!  Now THAT is grumpy!

I'm staring to agree with the nested quotes.  Works fine in a full laptop, but a HUGE PITA on a smartphone!  Maybe we could have a max of two nested quotes rather than just one?  Sometimes without that context of the one post before, a reply often makes no sense.

Right now nesting any quotes is somewhat problematic. I'm having difficulty finding ANY references to it in IBP v4. It might be gone.

3 minutes ago, atefooterz said:

I have a bloke crush of Jeffie atm; after he labelled me a " nose in phone millenial"  #winnin

You can live your life in your phone all you want as long as you fuck off and do it on someone else's lawn.

#Jesuslovesgunz

4 minutes ago, atefooterz said:

^ Re: Spammers

So the 20+ posts that did get in still had to be manually cleansed?  Looked like 1 baddie posting repeditive muck.

Yes, once they are posting it's a manual cleanup.

The good news is we can flag a user as a spammer, and it cleans up all their threads and posts in one pass. So it's only a couple of mouse clicks if it's only one person churning out 30 spams.

There are some things we COULD do with user management to also throttle that back.

Right now, as soon as you clear Validation you become a "Member", with full posting privileges. To fight spam, we could put new accounts into a Newbie group, with flood control on the posts (as in you have to wait XX seconds between posts) or even restricting creation of topics until you've cleared certain benchmarks, like made Y number of posts on other topics. We could autopromote them to Member after a certain amount of time or # of posts. We've chosen not to do that, because it's unwelcoming to noobs.

But it would hamper spammers that still cleared the database lookups.

Just a question: have older posts been purged? I'm certain my post count was over 4,000, but now it's under 3900. Not that it matters, but just curious. Maybe some of my embarrassing first posts are now gone...

1 minute ago, oldgoatroper said:

Just a question: have older posts been purged? I'm certain my post count was over 4,000, but now it's under 3900. Not that it matters, but just curious. Maybe some of my embarrassing first posts are now gone...

According to the Admin center, there are a bunch of jobs scheduled to be run. One of them is recalculating user post counts and thread statistics. I am assuming that archived posts will count in that. But it is certainly possible that some posts were removed years ago to make room or increase performance. An older version of the board started getting troublesome when things got too full.

There's also a bunch of indexing being done, which should make some things faster.

1 minute ago, atefooterz said:

Sounds time efficient.

The "Flag as Spammer" button was a life saver when we finally got it. It was much more of a pain in the ass before that.

On EyePhone the upgrade has been an enormous improvement for how fast and clean it loads. That trumps any nits I could mention.

Fwiw, I vote to definitely keep the 1 quote nesting for now; unless after people get over it you keep getting a lot of complaints.

Overall: A+

On the old board's thread listing, each thread entry had "xxx Replies" column that, when clicked on, would pop up a window listing all posters and number of posts each. That is now gone or disabled.

I'm not fond of the circular avatars, and I really miss the "More Reply Options" or whatever the raw format editor was called. And I miss post numbers.

And summer rains. And walks on a moonlit beach. And the smell of freshly cut grass.  And Friends.....

I just posted a reply somewhere in a thread, and I inserted a link to a site using copy/paste, the good thing was that the software immediately recognised it as an url, but the not so good thing (comes to me as a bit of a bug) is that when you next start to type it gets to be part of the url... if that's not clear as an explanation, just try it, you'll see.

the other thing, as shown here, a linefeed seems to be an alinea feed, look at the distance between this line and previous one....had same problem on thunderbird mail a while ago , was a setting

8 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

And summer rains. And walks on a moonlit beach. And the smell of freshly cut grass.  And Friends.....

Who are you and what have you done with brother Rickie?

33 minutes ago, michaelw said:

My user name has changed from Whinging Pom to my log in name. How do I change it?

for starters... by reading the thread ? and next go to settings

the irony is also that there is this rule on SA that if you out somebody you get banned, like in your case my name was also outed by this software update, so who gets banned ? :rolleyes:

The signature is back the hot links were lost now I'll be dragging around the YouTube windows for a while. That's a pain....

33 minutes ago, Albatros said:

frrfor starters... by reading the thread ? and next go to settings

the irony is also that there is this rule on SA that if you out somebody you get banned, like in your case my name was also outed by this software update, so who gets banned ? :rolleyes:

Would the mgmt. list be helpful, serve to refresh your addled memory??

The only major complaint/observation I have is that even with the patient advice from fellow forumites, posting direct links is still a 1/10 situation.

I highlight the Youtube URL, I hit the direct link icon. I get a hyper link instead of an embed. I try to post a picture, I get a hyperlink to my photophucket....... usually...... Sometimes it embeds. And this is the only forum where I have this problem, so I don't think it's all me.

I am not able to cut and paste or drag and drop from Word, to a post. Same with pics. I had to convert the word doc to html to paste.

Paste has been hit or miss before, with some file extensions not supported. I am just joe average for user knowledge. Win8 and Firefox, Adblock Plus.

2 hours ago, Whinging Pom said:

My user name has changed from Whinging Pom to my log in name. How do I change it?

Yeah my screename is now my login name, and I cant change it? It says I changed it 30 days ago? My screename is in another field? bit of a mapping fail there. :)

18 minutes ago, TBone said:

Are there options for the screen background? Awfully white as is

I prefer white.

28 minutes ago, TBone said:

Are there options for the screen background? Awfully white as is

We may do some work on the basic skin layouts, but for now I think functionality is job #1.

26 minutes ago, HardOnWind said:

I prefer white.

+1

I like the contrast. 

1 hour ago, HardOnWind said:

Conservatives don't like change!

Most conservatives are really reactionaries.

2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I am not able to cut and paste or drag and drop from Word, to a post. Same with pics. I had to convert the word doc to html to paste.

Paste has been hit or miss before, with some file extensions not supported. I am just joe average for user knowledge. Win8 and Firefox, Adblock Plus.

I'm going to try a copy/paste with stupid fonts. When I paste it, it tells me it has formatting. Let's se how this comes out. Not sure about drag and drop.

This is some crap I typed in word to test.

With Stupid Formatting and fonts to see if it carried over.

I really appreciate the ability of adding a code block. I expect to use that a lot on the Political Anarchy board when sharing my latest work.

$db = get_db_handle();
// Look up YC name to make an abbreviation
$result = mysqli_query($db,"SELECT `YCname` FROM `reciprocalclubs` WHERE `id` = $id ");
if(mysqli_num_rows($result) < 1) exit("No Records Found");
$row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result);
$parts = explode(" ",$row['YCname']);
$abbr = "";
foreach($parts as $value){
    $abbr .= strtoupper($value{0});
}
$query =<<<SQL
    SELECT relationships.*, reciprocalclubs.YCname, reciprocalclubs.regionIndex, reciprocalclubs.YCcountry
    FROM `relationships`, `reciprocalclubs`
    WHERE reciprocalclubs.id = relationships.thatClub AND relationships.thisClub = $id AND (relationships.lastAction = 'renew' OR relationships.lastAction = 'confirmed')
    ORDER BY reciprocalclubs.YCcountry ASC, reciprocalclubs.regionIndex ASC, reciprocalclubs.YCname ASC
SQL;
$result = mysqli_query($db,$query) or die(mysqli_error($db));
if(mysqli_num_rows($result) < 1) exit("No Records Found");

I went to Account Settings and chose "Do not send me notifications," but I'm still getting email notifications when someone posts in a thread that I also posted in, even though I haven't posted in either thread for quite a long time.  It's not consistent, and it seems limited to just a couple of threads in GA.

OK..... So the little chain link dealie just posts a hyperlink, but by c&ping directly to the text block I got a direct link......

42 minutes ago, mainsheetsister said:

I went to Account Settings and chose "Do not send me notifications," but I'm still getting email notifications when someone posts in a thread that I also posted in, even though I haven't posted in either thread for quite a long time.  It's not consistent, and it seems limited to just a couple of threads in GA.

Unsubscribe from the your email account. worked for me.

The online user thingy is really annoying. you get pages of everyone online to the whole forum inc guests. rather than just who's online on a particular thread or sub forum.

1 hour ago, HardOnWind said:

How do you get to the html edit BJ ?

Apparently it has something to do with having Admin privileges, I have since learned. You all don't have that option.

I thought that the "Preview" button would access the advanced edit page, but no luck. It just shows you that you fucked up, but doesn't let you fix it.

Apparently it has something to do with having Admin privileges, I have since learned. You all don't have that option.

Can I bribe you with something? I promise to be good.

1 hour ago, mainsheetsister said:

It may be that you are subscribed to the threads, with notifications on.

Check under your account Settings, "Manage Followed Content", to see if you have any active subscriptions.

Just now, Ishmael said:

I thought that the "Preview" button would access the advanced edit page, but no luck. It just shows you that you fucked up, but doesn't let you fix it.

Can I bribe you with something? I promise to be good.

No, you preview, then have to click the 'X' to "return to edit" which puts you back in the editor. It's more like Print Preview in Word, where you can't edit there.

Just now, B.J. Porter said:

No, you preview, then have to click the 'X' to "return to edit" which puts you back in the editor. It's more like Print Preview in Word, where you can't edit there.

See, this is why we need at least some nested quotes.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

I agree. It supports nested quotes, if you look in some of the old threads they work fine. But the quote function itself seems to not be nesting them automatically at all.

7 hours ago, Albatros said:

for starters... by reading the thread ? and next go to settings

Yeah! I got bitten by this one too.  After several hours of scrambling I found "Settings" and the global change let me crawl back into my shell.

Still learning the tweaks of the upgraded software but gotta say I like it.

26 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
27 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Oooh...look what I did!

To nest quotes, you can select the quote you want to nest AND the new quote. Hover the mouse over the selection (don't include the nested quote header) and a "Quote This" option pops up.

Click it, and Voila! A nested quote.

In a way, it may be smarter. Default, no nesting to keep things clean. But give you the option to do it intentionally if you need it.

With practice it will probably be easier. I will play with some deeper nesting.

28 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
29 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Oooh...look what I did!

To nest quotes, you can select the quote you want to nest AND the new quote. Hover the mouse over the selection (don't include the nested quote header) and a "Quote This" option pops up.

In a way, it may be smarter. Default, no nesting to keep things clean. But give you the option to do it intentionally if you need it.

So how many times can I nest this?

28 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
30 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Oooh...look what I did!

So how many times can I nest this?

And again...

You CAN include the quote header, the "Quote This" just pops up.

I like that. Opt in if multi-quotes are important to your post. 

On outing; you have always been able to view a list of prior screen names when you view a user's profile. Am I missing something? Did anyone think their past names were unlearnable?

And again...

You CAN include the quote header, the "Quote This" just pops up.

Here's a screen shot:

NestingQuotes.jpg