Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B.J. Porter

New Version - Official Issues/Comment Thread

On 5/19/2017 at 7:29 PM, B.J. Porter said:

We need to find a way to delete some name change history first, so the people that had their login names (not display names) exposed and 'outed' get some protection.

The feature is back, but we had to shut it off for the short term.

I was poking around yesterday and looked at the name change screen. It said I had changed my name within the last 30 days and couldn't change it.

I can't find out when I did change it but I'm pretty sure I've been Uncooperative for more than 30 days? Or did that reset with the forum upgrade?

I don't care at the moment. I have no intention of changing it before July. Just wondering.

So what is the next label?  Cyborg Tom?  :D

48 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I was poking around yesterday and looked at the name change screen. It said I had changed my name within the last 30 days and couldn't change it.

I can't find out when I did change it but I'm pretty sure I've been Uncooperative for more than 30 days? Or did that reset with the forum upgrade?

I don't care at the moment. I have no intention of changing it before July. Just wondering.

I guess you missed the Announcment that was flashing across the top of you screen last week. Yeah, there was an issue with the upgrade and Display names, so we made an open period for everyone to change it.

You changed your name from the default of your original login name (not display name) to Uncooperative Tom on 5/6/17, so you should be able to change it on or about 6/5/17.

10 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

The Top Posters feature seems to have disappeared, or at least I haven't found it.

I know one of the things the software did was re-calculate all the posts in post counts for all users. I can spot recalc a user, too, or set he count manually if I had to. I'll try a recalc on you, see what happens.

In the last version, I think getting a post deleted (or deleting it yourself) didn't decrement your post count total. Recalculating your counts would fix that.

TheMightyFalling.png

2 hours ago, oldgoatroper said:

why am I not surprised woody has a screenshot of top posters from the previous version of the forum

I think that is from the new version, if DA-WOODY would share with the class how he did it, it would be helpful.

18 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

With no idea how you are mousing & clicking around, I can't really tell.

But there ARE ways to "Mark a Forum Read" with one or two clicks that you may be hitting as you move around.

I just wondered if it was a known issue.  It only ever happens when there are only a few unread threads left, so I am moderately sure that I am not accidentally hitting something.  Anyway, I can live with it.

15 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

The wide ads still make mobile scrolling difficult. 

Agreed. I think that's a matter of having to create special ads for the mobile site. I'll bring it to Scot's attention, I don't set up the ads.

2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I think that is from the new version, if DA-WOODY would share with the class how he did it, it would be helpful.

Oh? THe new version has square avatars? Is that somewhere in our config? I'd love to know cuz I don't much like the circular ones...

12 minutes ago, oldgoatroper said:

Oh? THe new version has square avatars? Is that somewhere in our config? I'd love to know cuz I don't much like the circular ones...

Nope, it was the old site.

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:
1 hour ago, oldgoatroper said:

Nope, it was the old site.

Can you change that option at all? Could we have a different shape every month, just to really mess with people?

I am finding whenever I click on a post or topic thread the "A few simple rules" expands to show the whole lot then quickly shrinks back to the first two lines, very annoying, both Chrome and IE

20170525_111240_resized.jpg

34 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

I am finding whenever I click on a post or topic thread the "A few simple rules" expands to show the whole lot then quickly shrinks back to the first two lines, very annoying, both Chrome and IE

It's annoying thing, and I'm still trying to figure out a better way to have something on top of every forum like that which isn't annoying.

The other Announcements weren't as annoying, so it is probably the length.

4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Agreed. I think that's a matter of having to create special ads for the mobile site. I'll bring it to Scot's attention, I don't set up the ads.

Perhaps you can mandate or filter your way to fully responsive ads. You shouldn't have to micromanage pixel widths.

There used to be this feature, that I think was called "my content" under the user name in the top right. It basically sort of listed all the same threads that are starred in the main forum lists. I see that the threads are still starred in the forums. I assume it still means that I posted in that thread. Is there a way to get to a list of the starred threads across forums?

7 hours ago, nroose said:

There used to be this feature, that I think was called "my content" under the user name in the top right. It basically sort of listed all the same threads that are starred in the main forum lists. I see that the threads are still starred in the forums. I assume it still means that I posted in that thread. Is there a way to get to a list of the starred threads across forums?

If you tweak the "Unread Content" link, you can tweak the "Ownership" column to "Content I Have Posted In" which should do it for you.

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

If you tweak the "Unread Content" link, you can tweak the "Ownership" column to "Content I Have Posted In" which should do it for you.

Thanks!

On 6/4/2017 at 1:54 PM, Ishmael said:

The new Search function sucks balls. It is totally useless.

That's not very...specific.

I've not had trouble with it, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I had a hard time inserting a Youtube video, so I tried to use the search option to learn how to do it and it was useless... 

I was using  Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V to paste the link, I finally found out that I had to right-click and paste as "text only" the link yo insert the video.

Are there any help topics or something?

BTW: Are we getting the lost posts back or they're lost forever?

8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

That's not very...specific.

I've not had trouble with it, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Searching for the original Bondurant Sea Witch thread, I discovered that there is no longer a search function for archived threads, or if there was I couldn't find it. I eventually had to go through Google site search to find it, so I know the thread is there.

Overall, the search function seems to have improved since the change, but right after the change it couldn't find anything.

6 hours ago, chuso007 said:

I had a hard time inserting a Youtube video, so I tried to use the search option to learn how to do it and it was useless... 

I was using  Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V to paste the link, I finally found out that I had to right-click and paste as "text only" the link yo insert the video.

Are there any help topics or something?

BTW: Are we getting the lost posts back or they're lost forever?

What lost posts?

I've been able to paste videos in just by pasting the link. Removing or changing them is a different trouble though.

46 minutes ago, Happie Jack said:

OK i am well over 30 days since last name change...

When did you lock off the member name thing, i thought the 6th?

I don't remember, but you last changed your name on May 10th. So you're almost there.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:07 PM, Point Break said:

Dude, give a guy a warning! The lady sitting next to me in the dentist waiting room has a whole different impression of me now.............

:o

she now thinks you are not gay?

nttiawwt

4 hours ago, Happie Jack said:

cheers, signed poopie pantz butel B)

Don't go poopie on us, that operation is irreversible. I must admit the thought of eating half your own brain fried with onions does give me a little frisson.

1 hour ago, Happie Jack said:
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Don't go poopie on us, that operation is irreversible. I must admit the thought of eating half your own brain fried with onions does give me a little frisson.

We really need a like button or a rofl one, on the options, so as not to spoil the effect of a great post!

There is a content rating/reputation system built into the forum software, we've just not enabled it.

Frankly, I really like the idea of using it to autopromote new accounts to full privileges. It would be hell on both socks and spammers if they actually had to create actual content that people though wasn't just shitposting before they could create new topics, etc.

But I have little patience left for those two classes of assholes.

2 hours ago, Happie Jack said:
2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

There is a content rating/reputation system built into the forum software, we've just not enabled it.

Frankly, I really like the idea of using it to autopromote new accounts to full privileges. It would be hell on both socks and spammers if they actually had to create actual content that people though wasn't just shitposting before they could create new topics, etc.

But I have little patience left for those two classes of assholes.

The peer rating with likes makes the no post without mod approval automatic after the 1st post?, just give poopie & moderate limited mod post approval status, as minions, to allow their sock collections to become "valid"

Edited by Happie Jack

I was thinking more like restrict access with flood control (limits on posts/PMs per unit of time), creation of new threads, maybe block a few subforums where people play a lot of sock bullshit, limited access to the PM system, limit uploads and attachments, and a few other things.

The board allows for "auto promotion" to a full Member based on certain criteria...number of posts, Reputation, time passed, etc. You could set the bar pretty low for Reputation and keep most spammers and socks on training wheels forever if no one ever gave them a thumbs up. Or make it posts...require a certain amount of content and activity before unlocking everything. That would help it so when a Spammer DOES make it through, their damage is limited.

You could also create a "Hoary Old Veterans" group, too, which granted more privileges - like a larger PM box, greater control of their own edit history and content, etc. We've been batting these ideas around too, see if there's some way to reward the people that stick around and make content.

If we were to do any of the above it would require some thought and planning and wouldn't just be thrown out there.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:47 AM, Bill E Goat said:

If you double click on it you get the whole book.

17 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

What lost posts?

Not that it really matters, but I broke 2.000 posts long time ago. Now I have 196x, I think.

Just curious because I think I read that was temporary

6 hours ago, chuso007 said:
23 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

What lost posts?

Not that it really matters, but I broke 2.000 posts long time ago. Now I have 196x, I think.

Just curious because I think I read that was temporary

I don't believe any posts were lost - the new forums are better at counting.

I'm pretty sure the old forum version didn't reduce your post count if you deleted a post. So if you made five posts and deleted two, your post count would still show five posts. The new software, as part of the upgrade, automatically updates the post counts from the existing posts in the database. There is an option to update/refresh post totals periodically for all if we wish to do so, but it may not immediately decrement your counts now if you delete, but it will when you are recalculated.

I do know also that some way old posts were removed years ago when we were experience performance problems with the boards. Now we have the "Archives" set up, but a while back some stuff had to get removed because at the time I don't think there was an alternative. But this was YEARS ago, long before this upgrade.

It is possible if that long ago purge were taken into account, it could have dropped your post total.

Thanks BJ, I was just curious, is not really important anyway.

Cheers

I see the "warning point" section is not there anymore... Did Scooter up for the undercoating/paint protection package instead?

(Whatta grape!)

On 6/10/2017 at 4:30 AM, hobot said:

I see the "warning point" section is not there anymore... Did Scooter up for the undercoating/paint protection package instead?

(Whatta grape!)

I don't know you can see it or not, but Warning Points are still around.

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

I don't see any warning points. 

Click your own profile, you should see a spot for Warnings there. At least on my test user account I do even though there are no warnings, so you should too.

You won't see anyone else's warning points.

26 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Click your own profile, you should see a spot for Warnings there. At least on my test user account I do even though there are no warnings, so you should too.

You won't see anyone else's warning points.

Yep, you're right. I see the spot. I never look at my profile. Thanks!

it would be fun to see everyone else's.......sorta.......

On 2017-5-17 at 8:13 PM, bowman81 said:

Hey BJ, 

any chance of looking at the width of the banner ads to remove the extra space on the right? .  It seems to only happen on some sub forums. 

Cheers 

Any news on this BJ? 

45 minutes ago, bowman81 said:
On 5/17/2017 at 8:13 PM, bowman81 said:

Hey BJ, 

any chance of looking at the width of the banner ads to remove the extra space on the right? .  It seems to only happen on some sub forums. 

Cheers 

Any news on this BJ? 

No.