Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RKoch

Spotted in a backyard, Newport RI

MacXX. Designed and built by Billy MaGowan. Uses Mumm 30 spars and sails. One of several garage rockets racing out of Ft Adams.

SHC

Sailed on MacX my first year in Newport, a long time ago.

Bill came up to me in the IYAC and asked if I wanted to go sailing the next day for a lap of Jamestown. Didn't even think to ask what the boat was or what the conditions would likely be. So its blowing stink and I roll up to Ft Adams and see the yellow rocket. Super excited. All is going well, sailing great in flat water. Nice down wind leg from Newport to the top of the Island. The we fetch up the westside of Jamestown, hauling ass, hiking our guts out. The standard Rhode Island Sound swell is really kicking up off Beavertail. After a tough bear away, we pop the chute, a symmetrical back in those days. The boat surfs down one wave and we pop over it. Going like a scalded cat. Next wave we surf down and the bow buries. Massive broach. On our side, I just hear Bill yelling "we're sinking! We're sinking!"  As we go to get the kite down I ask one of the regular guys, are we really going to sink? His reply really got me nervous. Nah, we added some buoyancy over the winter, we think she won't sink anymore....I'm thinking that maybe I should have left all my stuff in a car onshore instead of throwing my bag below. 

The spin halyard gets let go, we pop upright and she still floats. Relief! We retrieve the kite and sail to the finish under main and jib. Still in the high teens. No need for a kite.

Moral of the story; When strange men walk up to you in a bar and ask if you want a ride? Always say yes!

2 hours ago, Simple Jeff said:

What does it rate?

83 last I check.  As mentioned it's Billy Mac's old boat.  Custom built, marine plywood, mumm 30 rig.  It's submarined a few times but is fast as hell with his crew.  He stopped racing it a few years ago due to drama on the race course a few years ago (shouting match from another boat over some BS).  He not will bomb the tuesday night course a few time a season in loon.

I remember it being in the drysail area at fort Adams when we sailed the Canoe Nationals in 2015.
I think Steve told me what it was then but until I read his post above I had forgotten the details.

6 hours ago, Soley said:

Sailed on MacX my first year in Newport, a long time ago.

Bill came up to me in the IYAC and asked if I wanted to go sailing the next day for a lap of Jamestown. Didn't even think to ask what the boat was or what the conditions would likely be. So its blowing stink and I roll up to Ft Adams and see the yellow rocket. Super excited. All is going well, sailing great in flat water. Nice down wind leg from Newport to the top of the Island. The we fetch up the westside of Jamestown, hauling ass, hiking our guts out. The standard Rhode Island Sound swell is really kicking up off Beavertail. After a tough bear away, we pop the chute, a symmetrical back in those days. The boat surfs down one wave and we pop over it. Going like a scalded cat. Next wave we surf down and the bow buries. Massive broach. On our side, I just hear Bill yelling "we're sinking! We're sinking!"  As we go to get the kite down I ask one of the regular guys, are we really going to sink? His reply really got me nervous. Nah, we added some buoyancy over the winter, we think she won't sink anymore....I'm thinking that maybe I should have left all my stuff in a car onshore instead of throwing my bag below. 

The spin halyard gets let go, we pop upright and she still floats. Relief! We retrieve the kite and sail to the finish under main and jib. Still in the high teens. No need for a kite.

Moral of the story; When strange men walk up to you in a bar and ask if you want a ride? Always say yes!

Soley - You still sailing Vipers?  I haven't seen you since Charleston years ago!

12 hours ago, Soley said:

...   ...

But leave your kit in the car! Great story, cool looking boat. I bet a big assy on a long sprit would lift the bow and make the problem much less problematic

FB- Doug

It's a V-bottom, Chined hull, flattens out aft. Dual rudders. Looks pretty sexy for a home-built.

Looks uncannily like a christmas tree that someone threw out the back door.....

21 hours ago, sailordude69 said:

Soley - You still sailing Vipers?  I haven't seen you since Charleston years ago!

Still have the Viper, haven't traveled to regattas in a while. House ownership killed that.

10 hours ago, RKoch said:

It's a V-bottom, Chined hull, flattens out aft. Dual rudders. Looks pretty sexy for a home-built.

The boat has a lot more control now days but the super low freeboard means that when the bow buries, it keeps on going.

1 hour ago, Soley said:

Still have the Viper, haven't traveled to regattas in a while. House ownership killed that.

House ownership is somewhat overrated!! After 30 years on the water on an acre to take care, of and 2400 sq. ft. to insure, heat and cool, clean, etc., it's now a joy to be in a 1,000 SF walkup apartment in the center of a small Village, where we can walk to 5 or 6 different pubs and restaurants.