• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Wess

Nap NOODs bigger than Charleston RW?

Recommended Posts

Didn't count but gotta be close to the Naps NOODs having more boats than Charleston RW this year.

Clean must be cursing, given his "love" for Annapolis, LOL.  But seriously I think both regattas had about 200 OD boats out racing and having fun.

Is sailing dead yet?

Wess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wess said:

Didn't count but gotta be close to the Naps NOODs having more boats than Charleston RW this year.

Clean must be cursing, given his "love" for Annapolis, LOL.  But seriously I think both regattas had about 200 OD boats out racing and having fun.

Is sailing dead yet?

Wess

186 Boats scored at least one race. Many registered but did not race.  Weekend had everything from partial sinking of an Ensign, an 80 breaking a mast, and 30 knots on the dial.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, trimfast said:

186 Boats scored at least one race. Many registered but did not race.  Weekend had everything from partial sinking of an Ensign, an 80 breaking a mast, and 30 knots on the dial.  

Geeze Trim, now ya made me go count.  You are right.  Both regattas registered over 200 boats with Naps having a few more.  Naps had more boats opt not sail though so Charleston had more actually racing.  Guess folks didn't like our 30 knot breezes, and just did the party, LOL!  Got a text from a guy who won his class last night... "so sore..."

 

Newflash: Ibuprofen sales spike in Annapolis...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, trimfast said:

186 Boats scored at least one race. Many registered but did not race.  Weekend had everything from partial sinking of an Ensign, an 80 breaking a mast, and 30 knots on the dial.  

Ouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Wess said:

Geeze Trim, now ya made me go count.  You are right.  Both regattas registered over 200 boats with Naps having a few more.  Naps had more boats opt not sail though so Charleston had more actually racing.  Guess folks didn't like our 30 knot breezes, and just did the party, LOL!  Got a text from a guy who won his class last night... "so sore..."

 

Newflash: Ibuprofen sales spike in Annapolis...

30 Kts would have been more fun if the RC on course 4 could have put it together rather than reaching back and forth for an hour plus.  Should have just did that new race in town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

220 boats were registered. I know at least one skipper who chose not to sail his boat in those winds. I saw quite a few broaches yesterday with many boats heading home early. It was definitely sporty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

What classes were on course 4?

C&C 30, J111, Farr 30, J35, & J105.  The C&C 30 had 1 start which was a general recall. So instead of going back to the line, RC decided to give them an instant restart which allowed the 1 and only race on the course for the day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

j24s, j22, j70 vipers  all got in more races than the "BIG" boats ...AYC has to step up 'Ya got some splaining' to do!   winds hovering at 22 with gusts to 26 and lulls to 17 and no racing  something is not right.  fittingly we heard no calls to the RC for a great weekend of racing.  they need to stick to optis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Left for Dead said:

j24s, j22, j70 vipers  all got in more races than the "BIG" boats ...AYC has to step up 'Ya got some splaining' to do!   winds hovering at 22 with gusts to 26 and lulls to 17 and no racing  something is not right.  fittingly we heard no calls to the RC for a great weekend of racing.  they need to stick to optis. 

I'm not into hatin on any volunteers ever.  But can say that the J22 circle are my SSA boyz and girlz on RC kicking it!  Love em!  Miss em!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Wess said:

I'm not into hatin on any volunteers ever.  But can say that the J22 circle are my SSA boyz and girlz on RC kicking it!  Love em!

I think anyone should feel free to hate on the volunteer RC all they want! *

 

* one condition, they get their own boat out there and spend their time and gas on doing it better ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having two OD events so close together in both date and distance can only be good for both.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, echo said:

Having two OD events so close together in both date and distance can only be good for both.

  

Of course.

We just enjoy busting Clean's and Ed's balls because of their frequent "We have no idea why anyone would own a sailboat in Annapolis, it has to be the worst possible place to sail except maybe the Sahara desert and meanwhile Charleston is the best race and venue ever in the history of the galaxy" shtick ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charleston and Annapolis both boast brown water. So.. there's that.

ive done both events for years... not sure which one I dislike more... at least the drive home from Annapolis is only 3hrs as opposed to 13 from south cuntucky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, trimfast said:

C&C 30, J111, Farr 30, J35, & J105.  The C&C 30 had 1 start which was a general recall. So instead of going back to the line, RC decided to give them an instant restart which allowed the 1 and only race on the course for the day.  

Sending them to the back is not the proper procedure per RRS unless it is specifically altered in the NOR for i SI's   At least that is what they taught us in the Advanced RC course :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

Sending them to the back is not the proper procedure per RRS unless it is specifically altered in the NOR for i SI's   At least that is what they taught us in the Advanced RC course :-)

Your'e 100% correct. I just dislike the rule so I stated my displeasure. Why should other fleets be penalized for a fleet that hasn't gotten their act together... but I will give them slack in this race as the marks were probably moving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the line was anywhere near square the first start would have gone off without a general.  The committee on course 4 could not react to wind changes with their large "lunch" mark boat. it was painful to watch them try to reset the starting pin. It took 20 minutes to move it half as far as it needed to go. I don't want to rag on the RC as i have spent many hours out there in tough conditions in SF but this was weak considering the local Annapolis talent. I enjoyed my time there but as an out of town boat it was not a good ROI. 

Nick G. Skeleton Key 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nick G said:

If the line was anywhere near square the first start would have gone off without a general.  The committee on course 4 could not react to wind changes with their large "lunch" mark boat. it was painful to watch them try to reset the starting pin. It took 20 minutes to move it half as far as it needed to go. I don't want to rag on the RC as i have spent many hours out there in tough conditions in SF but this was weak considering the local Annapolis talent. I enjoyed my time there but as an out of town boat it was not a good ROI. 

Nick G. Skeleton Key 

 

Back in the day the race would have just gone off with whatever wind there was.

So...given a suboptimal mark boat, would modern racers rather get the race off or have a perfect course? I tend to send them off as long as there is at least one tack involved to get upwind, the competitors seemed to be happier getting enough races in for a throughout vs. perfect legs.
YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nick G said:

If the line was anywhere near square the first start would have gone off without a general.  The committee on course 4 could not react to wind changes with their large "lunch" mark boat. it was painful to watch them try to reset the starting pin. It took 20 minutes to move it half as far as it needed to go. I don't want to rag on the RC as i have spent many hours out there in tough conditions in SF but this was weak considering the local Annapolis talent. I enjoyed my time there but as an out of town boat it was not a good ROI. 

Nick G. Skeleton Key 

 

Square or not, it is up to them to cross or not cross the line regardless. So I don't really think that should be a main point. Reaching start, downwind start, et al, don't cross the line is pretty simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

Interesting that there were no handicap fleets to speak of.  This shows where the action is.

How many handicap fleets would you expect at a national offshore one design regatta (NOOD)?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

How many handicap fleets would you expect at a national offshore one design regatta (NOOD)?

 

 

 

There were about 20 times more PHRF boats than usual, if not 50.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(20 x 0 = 0 :rolleyes:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, USA190520 said:

How many handicap fleets would you expect at a national offshore one design regatta (NOOD)?

 

 

 

Well to be fair there are other NOOD regattas that did/do (?) encourage and allow non-OD fleets entry.  But one of the reasons I suspect sailing is still strong in the Naps area is because of the emphasis on OD.  There are clubs in town you can't join unless you are sailing in an OD fleet.

Surprised at the general tone here though maybe I shouldn't be given its SA.  On my phone there are 5 text threads with various friends talking about 6 or 7 of the classes and how much fun everyone had.  On SA you just seem to get folks complaining.

Oh well.  I'll close and bail after extending complements to 244 and 550 for stopping and rending assistance to the Ensign... and to RC for granting them redress.  That move may have cost 244 the regatta so hat's off to them for doing the right thing.  Classy group of folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wess said:

Well to be fair there are other NOOD regattas that did/do (?) encourage and allow non-OD fleets entry.  But one of the reasons I suspect sailing is still strong in the Naps area is because of the emphasis on OD.  There are clubs in town you can't join unless you are sailing in an OD fleet.

Surprised at the general tone here though maybe I shouldn't be given its SA.  On my phone there are 5 text threads with various friends talking about 6 or 7 of the classes and how much fun everyone had.  On SA you just seem to get folks complaining.

Oh well.  I'll close and bail after extending complements to 244 and 550 for stopping and rending assistance to the Ensign... and to RC for granting them redress.  That move may have cost 244 the regatta so hat's off to them for doing the right thing.  Classy group of folks.

The Race Management Team on the Viper course did an outstanding job.

Com on down to Hampton for SBRW for the same professional  treatment. ...Best value on the East coast!

And Tons of Free Parking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wess said:

Well to be fair there are other NOOD regattas that did/do (?) encourage and allow non-OD fleets entry.  But one of the reasons I suspect sailing is still strong in the Naps area is because of the emphasis on OD.  There are clubs in town you can't join unless you are sailing in an OD fleet.

Surprised at the general tone here though maybe I shouldn't be given its SA.  On my phone there are 5 text threads with various friends talking about 6 or 7 of the classes and how much fun everyone had.  On SA you just seem to get folks complaining.

Oh well.  I'll close and bail after extending complements to 244 and 550 for stopping and rending assistance to the Ensign... and to RC for granting them redress.  That move may have cost 244 the regatta so hat's off to them for doing the right thing.  Classy group of folks.

Wess, 

Do you know what is the criteria NOOD used to determine the "most competitive class"? I would think that a class in which the top 4 boats were within 1 point would be the most competitive. No?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, maggie40738 said:

Wess, 

Do you know what is the criteria NOOD used to determine the "most competitive class"? I would think that a class in which the top 4 boats were within 1 point would be the most competitive. No?

I do not and think you know I don't speak for that class.  That said, while there will always be politics and I have no issue with the selection of the J80 skipper and crew, I personally would have selected a different class and boat 244 even though they did not win the class. I would have looked to that class for the reasons you noted (and others) and to 244 specifically because they were in a tight battle, knew every position mattered in every race, knew they would likely significantly improve their position if they continued to race while they would instead risk a redress hearing and getting finished in the position they were in when they stopped (their worst score of the regatta) if they stopped to render assistance, but yet they still stopped to assist.  I was not there to see it but knowing them I doubt there was any thought or hesitation.  Had they been awarded average finish in the redress hearing they win the regatta.

That whole class is a bunch of stand up folks and I have no doubt 244 would gladly and without hesitation do the same thing all over again knowing exactly how it would end.  So for that reason in my mind they are the boat/crew of the regatta.  The politics say otherwise and to be fair the level of sailing at the pointy end of those classes is likely different.  I get that and am fine with the selection made.  Do you disagree? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now