• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

So the past few weeks we've had lots of mostly juvenile Great White Sharks (8-10 footers) frequenting the inshore waters of LA and Orange County. Groups of 10-15 at a time driving along slowly, sometimes 20 feet off the beach in shallow water. Happens every year, but the numbers are a bit higher than usual. Still........every.....single.....morning......FOR HOURS, 3-5 news helicopters hover and circle the beach to get 10 seconds of footage to show on the news. Day after day......

Who woulda thought......sharks in the ocean........

Next thing you know we'll find out there are bears in the woods.

What a bunch of bleating sheep we have become. 

42 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

I won't believe there are sharks until a newscaster is eaten on live tv- 

That might be considered "unthinkable".  B)

1 hour ago, USA190520 said:

Preferably Jim Cantor with maybe a side of Anderson Cooper. 

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

I stopped watching the news many many years ago. It gives me more time to waste time learn stuff here.

FIFY

55 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I stopped watching the news many many years ago. It gives me more time to waste learn stuff here.

I gette my niewes hearre to.                  :)

Trolling for shark eating surfer footage.

This article popped up on a local fb page on the east coast-

if these numptys had a clue how many different species of shark frequent the waters here they'd shit a gluten free brick.

45 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

This article popped up on a local fb page on the east coast-

if these numptys had a clue how many different species of shark frequent the waters here they'd shit a gluten free brick.

I keep telling folks....the same thing I taught my kids....if you see one...okay get out of the water for a bit. Thats fair caution, but.............If you've swum or surfed in the ocean...you've been checked out by any number of sharks and critters......right up pretty close........and you didn't even know it.

Except that one time a real big dark shadow passed under my board at Sano while I sat with my legs dangling in the water waiting on the next set. :blink:  I paddled in. 

Last night around "sixish" we were doing the ILS 30 approach into Long Beach...  I was safety pilot for a guy looking to get current with his IFR... We took the LAX front side route in place of going through "the valley."  We were coming off the Catalina VOR with vectors for the approach, and when we got close to Seal Beach I saw three or four helicopters just hanging there about 2000 feet below us.  I was hoping there wasn't another mid collision like there was in 2001 as this is a "intensive training area" with its own frequency... and the angle of the sun at that time of night can blinding if facing WSW.  A quick scan of the surface and I saw no rescue operations going on so I figure it to be something else..

So they're looking for sharks huh?   WTF is up with that?

Just like around here when it may or may not snow.

A few years ago they started reporting snow to the tenth of an inch. Maybe 2.1 inches is more terrifying than 2 inches.

6 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

It only takes .1" of snow to melt into a puddle filled with sharks..

Thay falle outte the skye when conditertiones our rite.

sharknado.jpg

:)

Girls watch them from helicopters

Saw a beauty just last night while sailing my Impulse21 in Keehi lagoon - not sure what brand of Shark,  but definitely the Man in the Gray Suit,  about 7 feet long.

He passed in front of us headed downwind,  with his dark dorsal fin clearly showing smooth,  rapid progress.  Dude was moving 6+ knots,  easily.  Submerged when we got within about 2 boat lengths,  but could clearly make out the gray shadow in the murky water of the deep main channel.

Thought for a moment it might have been a small dark balloon floating/skipping on the surface it was moving so quickly,  until we got closer - "Dolphin ?" I asked,  doubting it even as I spoke. "Nope",  says Ned, "they rarely travel alone."  - and he's right,  you see one dolphin you always see some others playing around.  This guy was working solo - and then as we got closer, - that shape of the fin.   No.  Doubt.  Tax time.

The fishermen on the pier upwind had thrown a bunch of slices of bread on the water - that was attracting fish,  and fish afficianados...

What's the point with all the beach closures in NB & HB?   It's like one fin = closure.

WTF?  

Tell me the diff between "threat" and everyone out at 3rd street and then ten blocks away everyone's surfing at Goldenwest?    Huh?

20 hours ago, random said:

Girls watch them from helicopters

You're gonna need a bigger golf cart....

Somewhere, there's a kiwi who's pissed off about this thread and it's lack of fleecy Friday pics

32 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

Somewhere, there's a kiwi who's pissed off about this thread and it's lack of fleecy Friday pics

That there is funny!!!

I have a shark dedicated facebook community page that I've shared for about 7 years called, No soup for you! I started it to discuss shark fin soup and shark conservation. Anyway... I was reading articles ever morning having any thing to do with sharks world wide. The thing that made me just shake my head were every summer both northern and southern hemisphere a were all the, "OMG a shark sited" articles. Wow really someone saw a fish in the sea, amazing!

I don't do too much with the shark conservation any more since Sir Richard Branson and Prince Willy got on board for the cause, and the Chinese government banned sharkfin soup from all government sponcered functions which was a major win. My thing now is over fishing. I still think sharks are cool and diving with them when ever I can. Which hasn't been much this past year.

:(

4 hours ago, USA190520 said:

Nah, sheep isn't in a kiwis vocabulary. I think they call them 'dear'.

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Except if you look at the first one of the sheep walking they have 'shopped' it.  Not real dude.

Oh for fucks sake you tinfoil hat wearing stumpfuck- is everything fake in your paranoid little bubble?

Check out the 'legs' after 37 Secs.

Some of us have good bullshit detectors.

9 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

That there is funny!!!

I have a shark dedicated facebook community page that I've shared for about 7 years called, No soup for you! I started it to discuss shark fin soup and shark conservation. Anyway... I was reading articles ever morning having any thing to do with sharks world wide. The thing that made me just shake my head were every summer both northern and southern hemisphere a were all the, "OMG a shark sited" articles. Wow really someone saw a fish in the sea, amazing!

I don't do too much with the shark conservation any more since Sir Richard Branson and Prince Willy got on board for the cause, and the Chinese government banned sharkfin soup from all government sponcered functions which was a major win. My thing now is over fishing. I still think sharks are cool and diving with them when ever I can. Which hasn't been much this past year.

:(

I just came back from a dive last weekend.  They have a fish market in the port where the dive boat works out of.  I see this EVERY single time I'm there.  Its disgusting!

IMG_4619_zpslxhbdked.jpg

67C5C260-C6BC-4D32-94FA-D94B301B0A1F_zps

CD5A9E75-46C7-4214-A397-0CED1C0B7A5E_zps

We had the fucking weather channel here today.... cameras out, mike sidel reporting in his rubbber boots and ski goggles... 

it was raining.... in the background a 10k footrace was going by, yet he turned and faced a totally flat Surfline and stated there's the ocean, it's about 3'.... it was 6" tops and it was wind chop from the devistating 15kt breeze blowing... you'd think it was Armageddon... has no one ever been exposed to rainfall before? Wtf?

i watched he'd until I was sure no sharks were falling from the sky then I stabbed myself in the eye with a fork to relieve the pain. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:14 PM, Point Break said:

^ That was my favorite.............I was wondering if it would crack anybody else up................

I liked:

"I've seen the fin when the shark comes out. Baa, Baaa, Baaa. You could see the actual fin, one of the fins that come out .Baaaa, Baaaa, Baaa. But then they go back in because they don't really want to see people or big movement,  Baaa, Baaa, Baaa. " said Christian Rivera  Sheep #101 of Signal Hill Bo Peep house.

"

Mary Lee the adult female great white was pinged off my beach this morning. :)

And on a sad note it is believed that a rather famous adult female tiger shark that liked to interact with humans in the Bahamas washed up on the beach in Florida after what looks to be a prolonged battle with a fisherman. People many times mistakenly believe these big fish are invincible but the reality is they only have so much strength to output. If they get exhausted beyond endurance they drown. I personally know more than a few divers who were quite destressed about this shark's death, strange as that may seem to some.  

https://goo.gl/images/eXpJtf

Mary lee on her way back up to cape cod- she's a socialite- summers on the cape, winters in Bermuda.... she's awesome, 

bummed to to hear about the tiger- people suck

As far as I know, the best repellent is a dead shark- 

see the orca killing of a great white off cali a few yrs ago and the extreme drop off of great white activities in the area-

As far as I know, the best repellent is a dead shark- 

see the orca killing of a great white off cali a few yrs ago and the extreme drop off of great white activities in the area-

There's some validity to the shark's blood theory but I'm pretty sure it was the orcas hunting and killing an adult gw that really made them leave. I've seen that video and it is extraordinary how the orca put the big predator into tonic immobility then went in for the kill. Plus, sharks eat other sharks sometimes. 

I've fended off curious sharks with my scooter and even an underwater light but the surf line when it's murky makes my dip in really really quick! 

I was at the beach in Delray, FL one day and the water right by the land was unusually murky, not just surfline. You could see clear water a hundred feet out. It just looked creepy. I went in but came straight out. The next day, same park, a kid got his ankle bit. 

I can eye ball sharks but don't care to mix with them or the other big fish when I can't see them. Although being in murky deep water is still preferable to the surfline. Surfers are nuts!

10 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

And on a sad note it is believed that a rather famous adult female tiger shark that liked to interact with humans in the Bahamas washed up on the beach in Florida after what looks to be a prolonged battle with a fisherman. People many times mistakenly believe these big fish are invincible but the reality is they only have so much strength to output. If they get exhausted beyond endurance they drown. I personally know more than a few divers who were quite destressed about this shark's death, strange as that may seem to some.  

https://goo.gl/images/eXpJtf

Awww Shit!  Do you have any more info???  I hope it wasn't Emma!

43 minutes ago, sailingk8 said:

There's some validity to the shark's blood theory but I'm pretty sure it was the orcas hunting and killing an adult gw that really made them leave. I've seen that video and it is extraordinary how the orca put the big predator into tonic immobility then went in for the kill. Plus, sharks eat other sharks sometimes. 

I've fended off curious sharks with my scooter and even an underwater light but the surf line when it's murky makes my dip in really really quick! 

I was at the beach in Delray, FL one day and the water right by the land was unusually murky, not just surfline. You could see clear water a hundred feet out. It just looked creepy. I went in but came straight out. The next day, same park, a kid got his ankle bit. 

I can eye ball sharks but don't care to mix with them or the other big fish when I can't see them. Although being in murky deep water is still preferable to the surfline. Surfers are nuts!

This^^ 

Speaking of Orcas, are they dangerous to divers or snorkelers?  We had some Orcas show up off the coast of Oman recently and swim with the dive boat for a while when we were between dives.  Some of us thought about getting in with them, but wasn't sure enough about their behavior to chance it.   They were just kinda hanging out at the surface like Dolphins do sometimes when they swim next to boats.

Google?  Or was that just another "look at me" ...

8 hours ago, blunderfull said:

I'll take two:  https://www.sharkbanz.com/

SUP guy told Bliss mag he's turned away three with a 'banz.   Last one in April near HB pier.

The report above is suspect as most sharks approaching will do just that, turn away. 

2 hours ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

This^^ 

Speaking of Orcas, are they dangerous to divers or snorkelers?  We had some Orcas show up off the coast of Oman recently and swim with the dive boat for a while when we were between dives.  Some of us thought about getting in with them, but wasn't sure enough about their behavior to chance it.   They were just kinda hanging out at the surface like Dolphins do sometimes when they swim next to boats.

I have friends who have done scientific dives with orcas. From the accounts, like most whales, the orcas are curious, especially the young ones but for the most part they have a look, analyze, then move off. No human that I am aware of has ever been attracted by an orca. That said where I lucky enough to be in the water with them, I certainly would have major respect while trying to act like a bad ass and simultaneously peeing my drysuit.

36 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

Pretty sure tinfoil repelled sharks- give it a try. 

Tin foil hats only works as repellant when you add tuna decorations.

Yellow fins don't work, that I do know. That time I had to use my scooter to dissuade a shark, he was way too interested in my yum yum yellows.

2 hours ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

Awww Shit!  Do you have any more info???  I hope it wasn't Emma!

No not Emma. It was believed to be Hook. I haven't confirmed this, just saw a post from a friend who was pretty convinced the rostrum markings matched.

On 5/11/2017 at 2:05 PM, USA190520 said:

Or a weather reporter standing out in a hurricane is cut in half by a sheet of tin roofing.  What dumbasses.   

2 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

Tin foil hats only works as repellant when you add tuna decorations.

The biggets quetione my minde is howe do you gette the sharcke to wearre it?

4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

The biggets quetione my minde is howe do you gette the sharcke to wearre it?

Mounted right next to the frigging lasers!

10 hours ago, random said:

The report above is suspect as most sharks approaching will do just that, turn away. 

Yea, no source ID'd and Bliss would pimp anything for ad $$.

I cruise the local shops and not one wants to bother with this gizmo.  Actually, most think it's a hoax and think it's got zero chance with a GW.

More " sightings" = less kooks/crowds?   We'll see.

Still, the prob remains that the cities are freakin' closing beaches way too much given the few attacks (two) in last 2 years.  In the same time period you could find 20-25 cyclists dead on the roads around here and I don't see any fewer riders.   Fact is it's fatally dangerous to ride road around here and not so much to surf.

8 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

I cruise the local shops and not one wants to bother with this gizmo.  Actually, most think it's a hoax and think it's got zero chance with a GW.

Still, the prob remains that the cities are freakin' closing beaches way too much given the few attacks (two) in last 2 years.  In the same time period you could find 20-25 cyclists dead on the roads around here and I don't see any fewer riders.   Fact is it's fatally dangerous to ride road around here and not so much to surf.

I've posted that same sentiment here before and was surprised at the support the closings had.........buncha sheep........

:lol:

4 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

It's the "cookie monster" shark you should be wary of. They sneak up, and take a cookie shaped bite. I can't decide between them or the wobbiegone shark as to my favorite.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5817817/what-its-like-to-be-bitten-by-the-cookiecutter-shark

This is my favourite shark, scalloped Hammerhead .  I have personally never seen one as they occur in latitudes I don't spend a lot of time in.  But we do see some large ordinary one's here.  While mackerel fishing with my father, he had the back end of a large spanish removed on the way in ... at the gills.  The shark responsible then came and circled the 16' boat, not threatening, just curious.  it was about the same size as the boat, seemed bigger.

I wondered whether my memory was exaggerating but after checking just now I see they grow to 19', so it probably was that big.  Anyway dad threw a bait fish into the water.  The shark immediately turned and at about 1.5 knots, cruised over and ate it.  Then he got an identical fish, put a big hook in it and threw it over the side.  I was about 15 at the time and I protested loudly, scared at the prospect of becoming connected to the shark.

Again it heard the bait hit the water, again cruised over to the bait but this time just swam right over it without eating.  It knew the hook was there.

250px-Scalloped_hammerhead_cocos.jpg

On Sun May 21 2017 at 7:44 AM, Sportboat Jeff said:

This^^ 

Found this for you Jeff. Eli Martinez diving with orca:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1450401581649386&id=143630888993135

1 hour ago, oldgoatroper said:

:( "you must log in first" to view the vid

You could always join Farcebook. I only joined to follow the R2AK, then I discovered Bloom County was running on there again so I can't leave.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

You could always join Farcebook. I only joined to follow the R2AK, then I discovered Bloom County was running on there again so I can't leave.

Ha! well... actually I do have a Fakebook acct.... just can't remember what it is... :wacko:

It's the place where your most annoying acquaintances gather to Yammer.

There was a juvie Great White circling a stones throw in front of us before we jumped in last week for a two mile swim.  The one and only time I reported seeing two eight footers (I debated saying anything thinking I would feel pretty bad if someone got bit),  fisherman showed up and wiped them out.  We pretty much let them be now.   

3 hours ago, oldgoatroper said:

:( "you must log in first" to view the vid

Try this... Orcas at about 1:30

Edit: there is a video of Eli with a young orca (the Facebook one) I'll see if it's available off FB.

11 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

Screenshot_20170525-142738.jpg

DAMN YOU!  I about choked on my coffee.  

On 5/22/2017 at 8:25 AM, Point Break said:
On 5/22/2017 at 8:15 AM, blunderfull said:

I've posted that same sentiment here before and was surprised at the support the closings had.........buncha sheep........

I hear you. See here for another perspective. Not many cyclists where these people are talking about.

http://www.swellnet.com/news/surfpolitik/2011/02/21/living-sharks

Towards the end of the article, they talk of the late Sharkbait Phil. He lived through an attack by a huge GW and died when he got run over by a Greyhound bus.

6 hours ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

DAMN YOU!  I about choked on my coffee.  

Bugger! How am I going to get paid if I don't finish the job! :P

3 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

Haha, good one!

3 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

Ask for "progress payments" and promise to finish it up going forward. Then skip town and change your name.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Ask for "progress payments" and promise to finish it up going forward. Then skip town and change your name.

I've actually changed my name twice already. Last one was paid for by my ex, he hated that.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:03 PM, oldgoatroper said:

Ha! well... actually I do have a Fakebook acct.... just can't remember what it is... :wacko:

Mabey the name ist 'oldgoattroopere'?

:)

1 hour ago, sailingk8 said:

I've actually changed my name twice already. Last one was paid for by my ex, he hated that.

Many years ago I saw a very nice Porsche on the freeway driven by a nice looking woman. The personalized plate read "WAS HIS". I almost lost control of the car laughing......

On a topical note

great white shark Mary lee, 17' fully mature female just pinged on our beach and great white Cisco isn't too far behind her- 

gotta love ocearch! 

Tourists are tasty

nom nom nom. 

IMG_1320.JPG

9 hours ago, Point Break said:

Many years ago I saw a very nice Porsche on the freeway driven by a nice looking woman. The personalized plate read "WAS HIS". I almost lost control of the car laughing......

Ha!  That's awesome.

On a topical note

great white shark Mary lee, 17' fully mature female just pinged on our beach and great white Cisco isn't too far behind her- 

gotta love ocearch! 

Tourists are tasty

nom nom nom. 

IMG_1320.JPG

FUCK!  I WAS NOT TOLD THERE WERE FLYING SHARKS!!!  That changes EVERYTHING!