• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Speaking of Sharks off CA beaches.....

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/29/530240481/how-an-interview-with-a-shark-researcher-wound-up-starring-a-shark

Los Angeles-area beaches are basically the nursery for white sharks in the northeast Pacific, he says. "And we need those sharks. They're really important in keeping our oceans healthy. So while the public always has some concerns about the fact that there are white sharks off their beaches, what they have to remember is that these are babies and they're coming to these beaches for the same reason they do: they want a safe place to hang out and enjoy life."

shark-cartoon-94.jpg?w=1400

41 minutes ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

Exactly! It's not a new phenomenon. Couple of factors contribute to the.......situation.

1) there's more this year - we think that because

2) drone and aerial interest/filming makes easier to spot

3) a couple recent bites including a real serious one at a beach that hasn't had one......ever that I remember

4) from the water it's tough to distinguish between the  juvenile munching rays and fish and the adult looking for seals etc 

5) the media's incessant drama filled reporting

It has quieted down a bit though......

Juvy great whites have been there longer than Californians. They are after fish or the equivalent. Juvy GWs eat fish, they don't eat seals or surfers until they are adults which takes 26-33 yrs. depending on their sex. Source

Young sharks are less inhibited than the adults because they eat 24 hrs a day, unlike adults that generally prey at dawn and dusk when the light is in their favor to attack from below. The young generally go after what ever they think they can get, like most teenagers. When you hear of people getting bit in shallow water it's usually a juvy shark mistaking a flailing limb for a fish or a ray.

Yep, I've seen a few from water level over the years surfing. Like I said not new...but the numbers are up and so are the drones, hence the bleating of the sheep. I will say,  from water level it's pretty hard to tell juvie from adult. Water isn't that clear at that level. Dark shape goes by, swirl of water 8 feet away, maybe small break of surface with a fin. I get out when they're that close and curious. You know that you've been checked out every day at this time of year and didn't notice but it's a little different when it's so obvious. Plus, inside the surfline mistakes are easy to make.

Well, they said to hang off at 15 feet for 5 minutes no matter what........so the shark is just gonna have to wait. Looks like he cheated at 13 but I'll give him credit.......

I love it! :lol:

I think I would have let the shark have the lion fish at that point....  Ho Lee Fuk!

Talk about sucking air! My guess is the shark was attracted by smell and sense of dying fish then saw those tasty-looking, fluttering blue fins. 

Did a wreck dive off NC hunting Lionfish and kept attracting Sand Tigers. We pulled off the fish and let them have it, not one shark was tempted to eat them. Tasty fish but with the spines I imagine the sharks in the Atlantic think, no thanks I don't eat fire cactus. Only Atlantic fish I ever heard of that will eat them was a trained grouper in the Bahamas.

The numbers may be up because the news media is now chumming the beaches to get better photo ops. (ABC news this morning.

2 hours ago, 4ktsb said:

The numbers may be up because the news media is now chumming the beaches to get better photo ops. (ABC news this morning.

Not just media.....the average dumbass with a Go-Pro or drone camera are at it as well. Harbor Patrol looking to hand out tickets to discourage it.

sheesh...........

Read a snippet in the Irish Times this morning, (can't locate it just now), which compared the number of deaths by something new with number of deaths by shark.

From memory (Jeez, it was only this morning FFS), 5 sharks have been killed by sharks so far this year. The other thing is responsible for 34 deaths so far this year.

The other thing? Taking selfies.

We don't need to worry about flying sharks with lasers to kill us off, we're doing it ourselves.

That's in pretty shallow......can't be more than 30-50 feet off the beach, although it's down by river mouth where there is kinda a channel and little deeper. Juvie......but I'd still get out. Water is pretty churned up down there......recipe for a feeding mistake. 

Nice little right in the background. That's the second break, the reef a little further out where the first break is needs a bigger swell. Sucks out over a rock in the middle of the wave though.....I've clanged my skeg there more than once going right.....

Wait........what?

sheep1.jpg