You still gotta tie it up somewhere.   ....and I'd not want to guess the remaining hull thickness....!

Yeah it is lovely but as Veeger said where do you park it? ....And I'm thinking not too far from home, mind you can you imagine the AIR B&B rates on that baby in NY or London.......

9 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Not Craigslist.  

Not a sailboat.

Not mocking, looks intriguing, for someone else.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1912/houseboat-custom-3243838/?fbclid=IwAR1mPfqDRKJKk0-1y-kTNjJcneUQNrFqEoLey2NeUGmcp2kURRuMO-z324w

...    ...    ...

image.png.15d0ab56747a25306fe9aca5712e477e.png

...    ...    ...

Asking for a friend?

Needs a garage, and as Veeger said, might be due for hull replacement

Other than that, I love it!

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Asking for a friend?

FB- Doug

Hahahaha..   not my cup of tea, but I was impressed with how the interior looked.  Never expected that.   There is a "houseboat barge" at my marina in East Boston.  I dont think the interior looks half as good as this one does.  There are some AirBnB barges in the Northend of Boston.  Not sure name of the marina but a sailor at our marina said they left that marina because it was being overtaken by these AirBnB barges.

2 minutes ago, kinardly said:

What's it rate?

4 stars on AirBnB

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Asking for a friend?

FB- Doug

I'd park it on the tidal flat right out the front of my place.

Alternatively I'd drag it over the foreshore and onto my property, level it and use it as guest accommodation. Where I live, as long as I pay the annual registration fee (peanuts) I'm golden as far as the rules go. A registered boat on my own property is exempt from local government property regulations WRT second dwellings etc etc. And we don't have personal property tax, thank god.

FKT

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Alternatively I'd drag it over the foreshore and onto my property, level it and use it as guest accommodation. Where I live, as long as I pay the annual registration fee (peanuts) I'm golden as far as the rules go. A registered boat on my own property is exempt from local government property regulations WRT second dwellings etc etc.

Guests are going to shit. Then what?

I look at it and think it's likely to burn before it sinks. Just a hunch. Window air conditioners and boats don't mix and people who think they do are going to have other strange ideas, some of them sparky.

• Like 1

It reminds me of the floating barracks that were sometimes docked at the shipyard where I used to work.  

floating_barracks2.jpg

As the ad says

“move this hunk of steel”

Knock $200,000 off for hull replacement.

45b42418a9b6141dca9c52bac2f74c0f.jpg

Two Story Executive House-Boat Corporate Entertaining Vessel For Sale.70'x30'Has two 15' exterior spuds with manual winch.One 30KW generator for the house. Sleeps 15.Four bedrooms,three ful baths.Lounge area,front porch.Full galley.USCG approved MSD system.In immaculate condition. Great for personal or corporate use.Beautifully appointed with spiral staircase,hardwood floors and rich cabinetry.

US Gulf Coast for $350

9 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

Guests are going to shit. Then what?

Easy enough to deal with if it's on the land. Put in a composting head and a grey water system. I know what the rules are here.

I built my house *and* all its plumbing, black & grey water systems. Inspected, certified and signed off by the licensed plumbers etc and totally legal so don't even think to tell me I can't do what I say I can do. Steam Flyer can set you straight if you don't want to take my word for it.

FKT

5 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Easy enough to deal with if it's on the land. Put in a composting head and a grey water system. I know what the rules are here.

I built my house *and* all its plumbing, black & grey water systems. Inspected, certified and signed off by the licensed plumbers etc and totally legal so don't even think to tell me I can't do what I say I can do. Steam Flyer can set you straight if you don't want to take my word for it.

FKT

I just asked a question. Geez, don't treat me like an ignoramus who came along and made some blatantly wrong assertion on something you know stuff about or something. That's not what happened here, though that kind of thing has been known to happen around the forum at times.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:53 AM, KC375 said:

45b42418a9b6141dca9c52bac2f74c0f.jpg

Two Story Executive House-Boat Corporate Entertaining Vessel For Sale.70'x30'Has two 15' exterior spuds with manual winch.One 30KW generator for the house. Sleeps 15.Four bedrooms,three ful baths.Lounge area,front porch.Full galley.USCG approved MSD system.In immaculate condition. Great for personal or corporate use.Beautifully appointed with spiral staircase,hardwood floors and rich cabinetry.

US Gulf Coast for $350

What the hell are "spuds" and why only on one side?

6 minutes ago, paps49 said:

They are posts that you can drive into the bottom so you stay put. 13' spuds wouldn't be much use around here, the tidal range is more than that.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 3:19 AM, paps49 said:

First thought was that they were fans of DEVO.

R-13329-1459540737-9983.jpeg.jpg

- Stumbling

• Like 2

On 12/5/2018 at 11:33 AM, woahboy said:

That pedestal sure looks to be in the way.

Still for sale I see. I'm not sure why they call it a 34. It was basically the original design for the Chaser 33 in the '70's. Bayliner bought the molds and made it into the Buccaneer/US 335. I think San Juan had the molds in Washington St. for a short time then was sold to a Korean company after SJ went T.U. I raced one in the hole at Tswassen YC for two seasons. And raced the Bucc in 1980 and lost a rig at Race Passage at Swiftsure. The Korean was far better build but I can't comment on any core deck issues after the fact. The cockpit design from Peterson was never intended to be wheel driven. And in due respect to our fallen designer, Doug, the rudder was very, very heavy-handed. Even more so with the Korean one. A real handful when powered up.      

I'd love to see more photos of that.

Oddly, I would like to see that boat with a nice windshield or dodger. That cockpit and cabin top have a curious "barren" quality to them.

Advert says Roplene hull. Eh? 

Internet says:

<<Roplene is LDPE plastic>>

How queer

39 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Advert says Roplene hull. Eh? 

Internet says:

<<Roplene is LDPE plastic>>

How queer

Further in the ad:

Carvel Mahogany Planking on 2x2 Keyaki Frames, Bronz Fastened.

Laminated Stem Sternpost and Horn Timber.

Where the hell did the "Roplene" come from?

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Hmmm...

I know it's the wrong thread, but,

Additional

• Forward cabin top replaced with Lloyds of London approved Plywood from France and fiber glassed over.
  • 3/4 of the decking replaced and fiber glassed over.
  • Cockpit rebuilt. Original bench seats remain.
  • Aft cabin, total rebuilt with new bulk head.
  • All cabin top hardware rebedded when re-installed
  • New mast step.
  • Back Up bilge pump added.
  • Flooring all secure and sanded.
  • New cushion for V birth and cockpit.
  • We got a very good deal on used cushions (nice) for all sleeping berths.
  • Motor all filters replaced, new alternator, new starter.
  • New Inline water strainer for engine water intake.
  • New head, y valve and holding tank with all new plumbing.
  • All new bronz seacock’s (9) with backing boards
  •  We doubled the number of Keel bolts from 6 to 12.
  • Every bronze screw which came out was still in good shape, so original bronze keel bolts would be in good shape ( buried in the ribs of the boat)
  • Extremely hard wood from China used to build boat. Vessel built in China by Choey Lee.
  • Non skid paint on decking.
  • Large cabin heater.
  • New Compression Post in Main saloon.
  • New teak trim work.
  • Outside teak maintained and varnished.
  • All work done by qualified ship wrights and systems people.
  • Original Architectural Drawing
  • New batteries.
  • New Starter and Alternator- 2014
  • 2- Scupper Drains in Cockpit- New 2012

It's probably not a good idea to put unedited owner notes into the actual ad. Someone might have a little fun with it.

Nice boat though. Reading between the lines a bit, it's about due for a new mixing elbow, but such is life.

I trust you neglected the purple font on that "obscure" bit?

5 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I trust you neglected the purple font on that "obscure" bit?

I figured in here it was a given. The only one not getting it would be The Jamster.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

These keep landing in the wrong thread.

There is one propeller: 18"x 13", shaft size: 1 1/4". One rudder. Shaft bearings: Cutlass. Gear Ratio: 3.2:1 Solar panel for battery charge maintanence. Battery bank recently replaced. Anchors: three (22# Bruce, 30# CQR, 12# Danforth. Chain: 300 feet 5/16" pc galvanized. PFDs onboard. Fire extinguishers: two, current. No EPIRB. Richie 4# helm compass, VHF radio w/ antenna, Autohelm #3000 automatic pilot. Steering system: Wagner, hydraulic/duel station, recently overhauled.

I can't mock the one prop and rudder layout?

Or question whether the overhaul involved repairing bullet holes from the duel?

• Like 1

They mean the brightwork.

If it Ain’t shiny it ain’t t worth a hiney in the boat biz. 

It is in great condition otherwise and will make someone very happy for the buck. 

9 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

These keep landing in the wrong thread.

I can't mock the one prop and rudder layout?

Or wonder why there are only handrails on the starboard side?  ...A gentleman doesn't go forward on port?

I think this boat has been admired in another thread somewhere.

00c0c_68OpUA0aFYg_600x450.jpg

I’d say the gentleman went forward with the aged out port grabrail and removed it as he fell overboard.

• Like 1

The one on the pilot house has also been removed.  Its systematic.  

13 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

There's a guy out here that keeps listing a Suzuki DR400 as a "Duel-Sport" motorcycle and I KEEP asking him if that's legal.

Still hasn't caught on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hukilau said:

French plywood.   Fancy.

The boat is too beautiful to really mock, but "major restoration work"?  Really?  Where?

Not to mention

We got a very good deal on used cushions (nice) for all sleeping berths.

4 minutes ago, paps49 said:

I have seen this one advertised in a few places. I like it, but I can see it might be a limited appeal.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/westsail-43/227570

Edit.

Not featured here but the Pulpit/bow sprit and the pushpit(sic) are custom with with a swist in quality bronze.

5 hours ago, paps49 said:

Edit.

Not featured here but the Pulpit/bow sprit and the pushpit(sic) are custom with with a swist in quality bronze.

That is one classy boat.  I love the custom interior, but I agree that it will probably limit the market somewhat.  That and the location....

It does make you wonder why boat interiors are so formulaic. We have rearranged our 29' for just 2 and the space you gain is mind blowing.

5 hours ago, paps49 said:

It does make you wonder why boat interiors are so formulaic. We have rearranged our 29' for just 2 and the space you gain is mind blowing.

Yeah, but the first question the salesmen get asked is "How many does it sleep?"  Consequently...... 

7 hours ago, Veeger said:

Yeah, but the first question the salesmen get asked is "How many does it sleep?"  Consequently...... 

Sad but true.

8 hours ago, Veeger said:

Every boat I went on at every boat show I ever went to I had the deck to myself - everybody who boarded every boat immediately went below to admire the cut flowers and wine glasses on the saloon table.

And to find out "how many she slept".

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Every boat I went on at every boat show I ever went to I had the deck to myself - everybody who boarded every boat immediately went below to admire the cut flowers and wine glasses on the saloon table.

And to find out "how many she slept".

At the Annapolis show a few years ago I went on an X-Yachts Xp44, and immediately sat behind the wheel - the broker said I was the first person that day that didn't immediately head down below.

17 hours ago, paps49 said:

Sad but true.

Not necessarily...

Used to be, back in the day, families would actually go off on a week long cruise on their smaller racer/cruisers.  Being able to sleep mom, dad and my 3 kids sure has made my boats (30-35 footers) more useable, and hence, sailed more often.

Used to be, you went off to a race week, or an weekend regatta and slept on your boat.  Did multiple Block Island Race Weeks in the late 70's/early 80s where many of the folks racing were also sleeping aboard.

Used to be even smaller boats did overnight ocean races.  Hence the MORC boats.  Many a Ranger 26, etc were raced overnight.  Need enough sea bunks for 1/2 the crew of so (yeah, we used watch systems and let folks sleep even on races that were "just overnight."

Sad but true is the trend towards "how many couples can it sleep", and how many boats today have no "sea-berths."  Which I think is what paps and the rest of you guys are really trying to say.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

So:  How many does she sleep, in a marina with the AC powercord affixed

Depends on to whom it is affixed. Also the other way around, but we aren't going to go there.

7 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

So:  How many does she sleep, in a marina with the AC powercord affixed

All right dammit, who abbroke the AC appowercord!!!

FB- Doug

On 1/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, Veeger said:

it's not a f_cking hotel...

Why is this so cheap (8,000 EU or $9500)?

From the ad:

Hull:  Kevlar/Carbon/Expoxy red colour
Engine: VOLVO Penta MD4030 from 2001
Mast: Alu / Boom Carbon
Rigg 7/8 with back stays
Winshes:  Lewmar 600, 530, 480, 430 , Fittings: Harken

Sails:

2 mainsails from ONE Sails (1 Carbon, 1 Taffeta for the transfers); various fore sails (Genoa 1-4 (ONE Sails, UK Tape Drive, North), various spinnakers;

Navionik Garmin and Ockam, WiFi to use tablets DSC Controller NAVTEX SART/EPIRB, Various equipment according to an earlier German “See BG Standard” (could / should be renewed), 3 GPS/DGPS, 3 x Compass, Freshwater Tanks, Toilette, 2 sinks, Kitchen (stove not onboard but ashore), 12 berths

The boat is in need of some renovation (deck / winches). The boat has a negative form as a Cradle for land transport and storage. The boat is prepared for “winter in water”. The mast (abt. 22 m) is stored in a professional way in a dry storage building. The sails are stored in a professional way in a dry storage building.  The boat can be prepared to be picked up (in the sense of sailed for transit) at any time.

Boat was “first ship home” last year (2018) an “Fehmarn Rund”

image.thumb.png.1944152574ec5b4c27b82abfda58d106.png

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/farr-ims-44-3501651/

I never quite got the whole bowsprit thing.

May as well have the extra hull volume and gain space and speed for the given length.

Marina fees remain the same.20_4.thumb.jpg.73cd02c82ca18061905765beff1ddab7.jpg.cf9fe69e5493ae30b32d117cfd634ad9.jpg

7 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I never quite got the whole bowsprit thing.

May as well have the extra hull volume and gain space and speed for the given length.

Marina fees remain the same.20_4.thumb.jpg.73cd02c82ca18061905765beff1ddab7.jpg.cf9fe69e5493ae30b32d117cfd634ad9.jpg

That's true but if the hull were 6' longer you have extra build cost, larger engine, fuel costs, haul out costs, etc etc.
Plus to some of us they look fantastic.

6 hours ago, Keysrock35 said:

Why is this so cheap (8,000 EU or $9500)?

From the ad:

Hull:  Kevlar/Carbon/Expoxy red colour
Engine: VOLVO Penta MD4030 from 2001
Mast: Alu / Boom Carbon
Rigg 7/8 with back stays
Winshes:  Lewmar 600, 530, 480, 430 , Fittings: Harken

Sails:

2 mainsails from ONE Sails (1 Carbon, 1 Taffeta for the transfers); various fore sails (Genoa 1-4 (ONE Sails, UK Tape Drive, North), various spinnakers;

Navionik Garmin and Ockam, WiFi to use tablets DSC Controller NAVTEX SART/EPIRB, Various equipment according to an earlier German “See BG Standard” (could / should be renewed), 3 GPS/DGPS, 3 x Compass, Freshwater Tanks, Toilette, 2 sinks, Kitchen (stove not onboard but ashore), 12 berths

The boat is in need of some renovation (deck / winches). The boat has a negative form as a Cradle for land transport and storage. The boat is prepared for “winter in water”. The mast (abt. 22 m) is stored in a professional way in a dry storage building. The sails are stored in a professional way in a dry storage building.  The boat can be prepared to be picked up (in the sense of sailed for transit) at any time.

Boat was “first ship home” last year (2018) an “Fehmarn Rund”

image.thumb.png.1944152574ec5b4c27b82abfda58d106.png

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/farr-ims-44-3501651/

I like it.

9 hours ago, MauiPunter said:
15 hours ago, Keysrock35 said:

I like it.

Me too...... I thought the IMS boats were mostly slab-sided water dozers, that's a nice looking boat. Assuming it's still got all the pieces, it's still a big job for a home handyman to go assembling it into a working raceboat!

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Me too...... I thought the IMS boats were mostly slab-sided water dozers, that's a nice looking boat. Assuming it's still got all the pieces, it's still a big job for a home handyman to go assembling it into a working raceboat!

FB- Doug

Fly Longy out for a week, she'll be yar.

I remember cockpit grass growing back in 2013 that needed m

38 minutes ago, cje said:

mowing..

On that particular zombie? Interesting. I thought I might bid $10 and chainsaw it for the winches and the rust.

The Cal 34 looked worth bidding on.

Was the 28 a Crown?

Can you find out if they sold and for how much?

15 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Was the 28 a Crown?

Can you give me a hint as to what the frumptious bandershaft you are talking about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Can you give me a hint as to what the frumptious bandershaft you are talking about?

The other boats that were being auctioned with that Hunter.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Vessel-Auction---28-Sailboat_32843403

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Vessel-Auction---34-Sailboat_32843371

And last - and certainly least

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Vessel-Auction--35-sailing-vessel-_32843893

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Hmm. I didn't get those other links when I looked at the seller. The Cal and the Crown could be a deal. I wouldn't go within a postal code of that hideous steel thing.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

On that particular zombie? Interesting. I thought I might bid $10 and chainsaw it for the winches and the rust.

I could do with some self tailers, you might be onto something Ish!

31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Jon B that last one required visene and anxiety meds.

14 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

I suspect he missed an extra digit: 80,000 euros sounds a lot more realistic for this boat

My initial thought too, until I saw the "As is, Where is" note in the listing. Might have a structural problem? Anyway, a slightly odd listing. I am baffled by this auto-translate note

"The boat has a negative form as a Cradle for land transport and storage"

3 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

My initial thought too, until I saw the "As is, Where is" note in the listing. Might have a structural problem? Anyway, a slightly odd listing. I am baffled by this auto-translate note

"The boat has a negative form as a Cradle for land transport and storage"

That translates as "custom-made supports for storage of the boat on land". This sort of concept:

43336-500x375.jpg

9 hours ago, socalrider said:

Dont know a ton about these, but have always admired. Looks like a solid O30

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/coronado-olson-30-hull-173/6799520351.html

Olson 30's are awesome boats. Fast boats, but since we are talking here in CA: the inside is pretty minimalistic. I would buy one if I did not have two kids and a wife to keep somewhat satisfied :) 

There have been a few for sale on the west coast over the last year. I believe there is still one for sale in Santa Cruz, maybe another one in the bay area.

21 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

That looks like a nice old boat, but I'm not supposed to mock any of this at all?

Conveys with a full array of safety equipment consisting of life jackets, flares, first aid gear, waterway charts and reference manuals. Also conveys with Johnson SailMaster 8hp Outboard Long Shaft engine for auxiliary backup power which mounts to a portable aluminum mounting bracket at the transom.

Extensive travel commitments no longer offer time for sailing. The Morgan MKII is a classic 1970 Fiberglass Sailboat. Very sturdy and strong from the days when fiberglass layup was done with robust engineering.

Note: I also have in inventory, an additional 2x Westerbeke 4-107 Diesel Engines. Both operational. I collected these engines with spare part provisioning in mind. Willing to sell both of the extra 4-107's spare diesel engines for $700/- each.

Sorry, but if you put an outboard bracket on a boat that size, I can't resist.

How best to keep a Westerbeke running? Two spare Westerbeke's! And an outboard, just in case!

Layups were robust back in the day, mostly because we didn't know how thick they needed to be and resin was cheaper.

2 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

...    ...    ...

Layups were robust back in the day, mostly because we didn't know how thick they needed to be and resin was cheaper.

Actually, that's a myth. The structural properties of fiberglass were well known and there were several published handbooks on it. Among other things, in the years right after WW2 the US Navy built a series of utility craft, 26'to 55', and tested them pretty much to destruction. This data went into one of the published books specifically for boat building.

One of the results I found interesting is that after a few years of stress & strain, and exposure to the elements, the Navy concluded that fiberglass is not degraded at all by UV or humidity or wide temperature swings etc etc. Of course this test was only over a few years, and I suspect that although they used microscopes, this is not the correct answer. Fiberglass is only ALMOST forever.

But you're right that resin was a lot cheaper

FB- Doug

On 1/19/2019 at 9:08 PM, SloopJonB said:

Was the 28 a Crown?

That Hunter ended up selling for a terrifying $18,500. It was very rough inside... luckily someone had pulled the knotmeter so the bilge was only half full of water. Chain locker was completely flooded, well over top of the electric windless. I figured about $35k in materials to get it decent, plus many, many, many hours of work.

The ferro monstrosity started at $200, then $100, and that's the last I heard as I walked away. Nobody, including the auctioneer, expected it to sell, but the guy from Canoe Cove said it gives them legal right to crush it. Among a great many other failings, the dry exhaust was rigid mounted 2" galvanized pipe and ended at the side of the cabin, about 2' from the "helm".

No idea on the Oak Bay boats - you could contact the lawyer in the ad, who would have done the auctioning. Cal 34 does look the best of the bunch, but they sell for so little in good shape anyway, it would be hard to justify. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

That looks like a nice old boat, but I'm not supposed to mock any of this at all?

Sorry, but if you put an outboard bracket on a boat that size, I can't resist.

How best to keep a Westerbeke running? Two spare Westerbeke's! And an outboard, just in case!

The old Morgans are nice. There must be something else wrong with this one.

Thanks AK.

"That Hunter ended up selling for a terrifying $18,500."  Yikes.

Sounds like someone caught auction fever.

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Sounds like someone caught auction fever.

Yes, those numbers don't add up even with free labour.