5 hours ago, paps49 said:

Not sure I would put a hatch there, then again it is on the center line.............

That’s the beer hatch.

• Like 1

Probably over the nav station for communication to the helm during races.

50 minutes ago, Zonker said:

And to soak the navigator's laptop

in beer

• Like 2

On 4/8/2019 at 10:25 PM, SloopJonB said:

I dunno about any rules about home pots being on water but many boats here are home ported in Calgary, Canmore, Edmonton etc - none of which are near navigable water.

FWIW,  I believe we're actually talking about two different issues. Boat licences (what most of us as recreational boaters have) vs Boat registration. Registration requires the display of boat name and home port, of which there are acceptable cities (see http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm#ports ) whereas licensing only requires the number ("You must display the licence number on both sides of the bow, above the waterline, in block characters that are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow." http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3211.htm#g6 ) On the licensed boat you can add vessel name and whatever "home port" you like.

my 2 cents

FWIW

Craig

3 hours ago, palacegrand said:

FWIW,  I believe we're actually talking about two different issues. Boat licences (what most of us as recreational boaters have) vs Boat registration. Registration requires the display of boat name and home port, of which there are acceptable cities (see http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm#ports ) whereas licensing only requires the number ("You must display the licence number on both sides of the bow, above the waterline, in block characters that are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow." http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3211.htm#g6 ) On the licensed boat you can add vessel name and whatever "home port" you like.

my 2 cents

FWIW

Craig

So basically the home port designation is comical because it could be either or.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:25 AM, SloopJonB said:

I dunno about any rules about home ports being on water but many boats here are home ported in Calgary, Canmore, Edmonton etc - none of which are near navigable water.

Hay! I've paddled around Canmore, there are some lovely rivers up there.

Sailing, not so much.

Around here we see a bunch of boats homeported in Colorado or South Dakota.

FB- Doug

15 hours ago, palacegrand said:

my 2 cents

FWIW

Craig

Pretty much the same in the US.  If the boat is registered in a state, you must display your state registration number; in my state, they couldn't care less if the boat's name or home port appears anywhere on the hull.  In fact, they don't care at all if the boat has a name.  If you choose to document your boat with the Coast Guard, then you have to have your boat name and home port on the hull (and you have to remove any state registration numbers; a boat cannot be state registered and Coast Guard documented.  One or the other).  I don't think there are any rules as to the home ports; the only restrictions I know of are that it has to be an actual city/town and state.  Maybe someone else knows if you can use landlocked places as a home port on a USCG documented vessel.  At my marina, there are lots of boats (state registered) that use landlocked towns (presumably where the owner lives) as the home port.  I don't like the way that looks, so I use the town where my marina is located as the home port.

On 4/6/2019 at 2:24 PM, Mr. Ed said:

King of Norway don't need no stinking wheel!

Steering oar or GTFO.

starboard.jpg?w=625&ssl=1

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hukilau said:

....; a boat cannot be state registered and Coast Guard documented.  One or the other...

Some states, including mine, require registration for documented vessels. It’s how they collect sales tax when a vessel changes hands, and local fees. My marina requires evidence of state registration for all vessels, documented or not. 

What you can’t do, as you note, is display the registration numbers on a documented vessel. Actually being state registered is fine with the Coast Guard, as is displaying registration stickers. Just no numbers, and no state titling, as the US documentation is your title. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 4:33 AM, Importunate Tom said:

That's a nice looking boat but

Fuel cans on the rail.

Tape measure on salon table.

Caulk and stuff in and around the cockpit.

Ziploc bag of something on cockpit bench

Coffee on the dive platform (an Admirable platform and ladder, btw)

Fender on forward deck.

8 photos and two do not show clutter that could have been quickly removed. The engine and the one in slings.

Could just be real busy too. I know that my boat pictures aren't the best but I just don't have the time to take better ones and it's kind of a small monthly budget item so there's a lot more pressing things on my plate. Wonder if this seller is in the same boat? Or maybe it's just a coldmolded boat owner thing?

You must be awfully tightly scheduled if you don't have 3 minutes to sweep the crap out of frame.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You must be awfully tightly scheduled if you don't have 3 minutes to sweep the crap out of frame.

It looks like they're recycling old photos to me, with the caulking the boat looks tarped and they were probably just taking a photo of the work they had finished. I agree it's lazy but sometimes you just try and include a few photos of hardware etc people have asked for.... then again maybe that's why my boat and this one haven't sold

2 hours ago, impetuous_donkey said:
8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It looks like they're recycling old photos to me, with the caulking the boat looks tarped and they were probably just taking a photo of the work they had finished. I agree it's lazy but sometimes you just try and include a few photos of hardware etc people have asked for.... then again maybe that's why my boat and this one haven't sold

Quite possibly. Presentation matters a bunch.

I see those pics and think, "You want $40 grand and can't be bothered to move some clutter?"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Hmm ,offset rudder somebody should inform the designer of the risks.

AE6C4B8C-AC2A-454B-8FC1-48A740B7FCFC.jpeg.33cd78bf0286256f88ca4b9af014bdb3.jpeg

The designer is not interested in your critique...

viking-360.jpg

- Stumbling

Craigslist is going to start charging a $5 fee for car and truck ads.   Boat ads will still be free.

Just now, slap said:

Craigslist is going to start charging a $5 fee for car and truck ads.   Boat ads will still be free.

Craigslist is dead around here, everybody uses Usedvictoria.com (or whatever usedcity you inhabit).

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

viking-360.jpg

- Stumbling

Bjorn Harfarse -- Jarl of Kraigslystins

Fred Madlener turns out has an interesting design past.

6DF996C1-FE5D-4408-B971-01C5C26B2174.jpeg

A3D677C1-0A5A-4C43-B7F6-0C800FF41EE3.jpeg

789C66C9-F84B-4DF4-B33B-F14D839239B7.jpeg

Can anyone explain the rationale behind the auxiliary rudders/daggerboards?

I understand the usefulness of using daggerboards to adjust the balance, but why add the complexity of using them for steering?

Alternatively, if you're using them for steering, why have a big heavy barndoor on a skeg on the centreline for the same function?

All looks a bit weird to me...

I figured he had seen photos of those small British boats with triple keels and thought "Hey.....".

Those triple keelers have the advantage of being able to dry out - this guy's 'rudderboards' are way too short for that...

On 4/12/2019 at 12:05 PM, Diarmuid said:

Bjorn Harfarse -- Jarl of Kraigslystins

Here is our favorite designer who is not interested in your critique...

image.thumb.png.77949bec76620cf58c323a905d820a77.png

On 4/12/2019 at 9:50 AM, stumblingthunder said:

viking-360.jpg

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, Keysrock35 said:

Sounds like a great project for someone very rich or very handy. I think there’s still some appetite for interesting historical boats with pedigree, even though her race record isn’t exactly stellar. Sandeman’s prose is a little odd sometimes (“ethereal cult status”?) but he’s definitely got a good eye for boats. I wonder what she’s doing in Ohio? 

On 4/18/2019 at 8:12 PM, Mr. Ed said:

Sounds like a great project for someone very rich or very handy. I think there’s still some appetite for interesting historical boats with pedigree, even though her race record isn’t exactly stellar. Sandeman’s prose is a little odd sometimes (“ethereal cult status”?) but he’s definitely got a good eye for boats. I wonder what she’s doing in Ohio? 

“ethereal cult status” - a way to imply a cult, without having one.   Like having a "vapid intellectual conversation" (a passive-aggressive double negative.)

- Stumbling

• Like 1

A good one from LeBonCoin in France- if you're looking for a cheap catamaran project that has had all the hard work done on it.

10m cat

d05faada3080838bc5da1b60f761094df9ce51ac.jpg

Nice looking cat. Looks 85% done to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Nice looking cat. Looks 85% done to me.

Hey, I thought this was the NOT mocking thread!!

Anyway, here's one. It's kind of a WTF but it's also kind of cool. Looks to be far more than 85% done since there's pics of it floating.

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/d/merritt-island-12-aluminum-sail-boat/6842873645.html

00e0e_l6DVTUagPYN_600x450.jpg

00D0D_iiKOhsJxeni_600x450.jpg

A double-bubble sliding hard-top? A diesel inboard in a 12-footer?

This could provide lots and lots of fun for the right person.

FB- Doug

13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Anyway, here's one. It's kind of a WTF but it's also kind of cool. Looks to be far more than 85% done since there's pics of it floating.

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/d/merritt-island-12-aluminum-sail-boat/6842873645.html

FB- Doug

On the one hand, it looks like a tiny boat meant to cross an ocean. On the other, it looks like a boat that can hardly sail at all. Paradox.

Looks like some sort of survival capsule to me.

3 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

On the one hand, it looks like a tiny boat meant to cross an ocean. On the other, it looks like a boat that can hardly sail at all. Paradox.

Actually  this is Paradox.  The one under discussion appears slightly related but muy fatter....

I’m done with the spoon if anyone else needs it.

C53E8173-9C17-4881-9DF4-8831EF65EDD2.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Veeger said:

Actually  this is Paradox.  The one under discussion appears slightly related but muy fatter....

paradoxsurf.jpg

Yes, that is the Paradox that sails well.   The other one, oh well....

- Stumbling

16 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

A dinghy for a hydrophobe!

Definitely needs to be cross posted to the Mocking and the Ugly Dodger threads.

- Stumbling

18 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Built in 1986, it is in great condition, Diesel engine with very low hours.

Very low hours because being trapped in a metal box that size with a diesel engine can't be pleasant.

It's hard to find a boat that I can't see as useful, enjoyable, or both. That's one. I'm confused by it.

22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Looks like it went tits-up already.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Another picture for waps collection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woahboy said:
4 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Another picture for waps collection. 

Nah, too clean for his collection

Have to say it did cross my mind that Freud would have loved to chat with whoever built this........

FB- Doug

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 10:42 AM, SloopJonB said:

Looks like some sort of survival capsule to me.

Spacecoast CL: maybe the proto for a new Europa rover? 

On 4/22/2019 at 4:46 PM, SloopJonB said:

This one deserves a prize or at least some acknowledgement for "Most Eye Catching Title".

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/bpd/d/langley-tired-of-catching-your-balls/6859751669.html

Ouch!!

On 4/21/2019 at 7:24 PM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

The ganglia just started jumping!

Someone made an offshore version of a Cheasapeake Skipjack pushboat:

hmkrentz_23_pushboat.jpg

That's one way to avoid changing out the lump of rust in the big boat!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

That's the most extreme davit system I have seen!

4 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

The ganglia just started jumping!

Someone made an offshore version of a Cheasapeake Skipjack pushboat:

hmkrentz_23_pushboat.jpg

That's one way to avoid changing out the lump of rust in the big boat!

- Stumbling

They needed some way to get in/out of harbor with no or adverse winds, and the law prohibited dredging under power.  

47 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

They needed some way to get in/out of harbor with no or adverse winds, and the law prohibited dredging under power.  

I am very aware of the dredging regulations and its affect on Chesapeake oyster dredging:

https://govt.westlaw.com/mdc/Document/NE99154714C2711E6874EEF7972E9FF2E?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

The dredging vessel is suppose to be solely sail driven, although a yawl boat (read, dinghy with a really big motor) can be hung on davits for days that power trawling is not allowed and used before and after trawling to push the sailing dredge from and to the home port.

I am especially impressed that the regulations specify the permitted weapons on board, as well as the maximum shot size (#1 shot, for those inquiring minds).

Oyster pirates beware:

s983932880819606496_p4_i19_w640.jpeg

- Stumblingthunder

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cisco said:

Be a bit noisy in there with that engine pushing it at 8kts!

5 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Be a bit noisy in there with that engine pushing it at 8kts!

Screen_Shot_2019-05-06_at_6.49.45_PM_fgv

Baby brothers of one that landed long ago in Tampa and had so much fun they never returned home:

cp3WJgK.jpg

0C8ss0g.jpg

- Stumbling

16 hours ago, Cisco said:

Luckily for me, they're not in Tasmania.....

FKT

51 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Luckily for me, they're not in Tasmania.....

FKT

You want one as well?

Home base being some 200 miles from the sea I thought one would make a nice lawn ornament...

43 minutes ago, Cisco said:

You want one as well?

Home base being some 200 miles from the sea I thought one would make a nice lawn ornament...

If they were close & cheap enough, sure. I've got a few acres here, plenty of room. Or I could put one on a mooring.

Mind you I'd not want to be in one with 30 other people - done lifeboat drills in another life, the thought of having to do it for real with that many people in that little space gives me nightmares.

FKT

On 5/9/2019 at 11:02 PM, PaulinVictoria said:

Some of you may recall not mocking a Santa Cruz 27 last spring, well she finally got splashed this evening after a ton of work (not by me). Can't wait to get racing!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r6SEqJzMEfcVctGn9

Oh my!  I never would have thought to paint a boat that color, but it works on the SC27!

Very nice!

I'm putting this here more for the ad than the boat. Most buy & sell ads are lacking a lot of essential information about the vessel, whereas this one tells you a story about it, gives you every last detail about the equipment and evens lists the seller's views of the pros and cons of the vessel. And he'll even deliver it and teach you to sail. This guy clearly loves his boat. Given the lavish description, the pictures are pretty lame and the happy faces for privacy are a bit creepy.

31 foot Sailboat, nay, Gentleperson's Yacht

On 5/19/2019 at 1:01 PM, SloopJonB said:

Looks like a great deal on a great project boat for the right person. A few years ago I would have been all over this one.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-cc-40-project/6892465325.html

Holey sheet! My friend, Mike Pope, had a 33 called Vatican II. I don't know if he's still with us but he was a good friend with Poncho too. Seems a little odd there would be two Vatican II's in our area. I'm sure you can resurrect it as a C&C like that are pretty tough.  

19 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Holey sheet! My friend, Mike Pope, had a 33 called Vatican II. I don't know if he's still with us but he was a good friend with Poncho too. Seems a little odd there would be two Vatican II's in our area. I'm sure you can resurrect it as a C&C like that are pretty tough.  

This Vatican II is a sistership photo, could be anywhere.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

This Vatican II is a sistership photo, could be anywhere.

Ahhh....could be Ish. But "the Pope" did have a C&C 33 called "Vatican II". Might have sailed on it once & awhile in those days. Mike had a good relationship with Poncho as I think the boat had Sails by Watts if I recall and Poncho was Watts in Seattle. Mike left the area and opened a mountain bike shop in Maui I think. Came back and went to work Queenship or one of the yacht builders like that in the valley. It's just odd to see the name "Vatican II" on a 40. I saw him briefly having lunch at WVYC with Huntingford but that was 10 years ago or more.

If those pictures are current that thing is a steal - $20K for a Col 50? :blink:

One of my all time favourite boats - top 10 for sure.

One of my favs too.  Plus it’s a longtime freshwater boat that with a short three month season on Erie.  

Zero bids. You can get it for far less than $20k. But expect a big project.  It’s sat for many years (though the previous longtime owner kept it up pretty well)

17 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Ahhh....could be Ish. But "the Pope" did have a C&C 33 called "Vatican II". Might have sailed on it once & awhile in those days. Mike had a good relationship with Poncho as I think the boat had Sails by Watts if I recall and Poncho was Watts in Seattle. Mike left the area and opened a mountain bike shop in Maui I think. Came back and went to work Queenship or one of the yacht builders like that in the valley. It's just odd to see the name "Vatican II" on a 40. I saw him briefly having lunch at WVYC with Huntingford but that was 10 years ago or more.

Heya Maxx, the 40 Vatican II in the pics is an Ontario boat.  Sailed out of Belleville for many years and a bit of a dock queen, on the hard at Wiggers for the past few years, listed at Harris & Ellis:

https://www.harrisellis.com/Listings.php?rPage=/privatelabel/listing/pl_boat_detail_handler.jsp?slim=pp282320&units=Feet&boat_id=2076086&primary_photo_id=72&primary_photo_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnewimages.yachtworld.com%2Fresize%2F1%2F97%2F8%2F849708_3_20110720082729_27_0.jpg&back=%2Fprivatelabel%2Flisting%2Fcache%2Fpl_search_results.jsp%3Fslim%3Dpp282320%26sm%3D3%26cit%3Dtrue&searchtype=buy

So not the same owner you're thinking of...

Cheers!

2 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Heya Maxx, the 40 Vatican II in the pics is an Ontario boat.  Sailed out of Belleville for many years and a bit of a dock queen, on the hard at Wiggers for the past few years, listed at Harris & Ellis:

Someone should tell Major Dave - he could spend an absurd amount of money on it and then have H&E list it for 3 times any realistic price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

I get that - thanks. But it is very odd that there are 2 Vatican II's. Maybe SJB might remember the Mike Pope. A rigger/mast maker with Pacific Spars. Eagle Harbour YC members and did a column on Pacific Yachting in the days of parchment paper in the magazine. Cheeky bugger but funny. If he was working he would say: "What do want and kiss my ring!". Funny story at the 3/4 ton world's in Victoria in '78. He had arrived with a factory Buccaneer 335 (the Peterson design) and he leapt on to dock from Bellingham at RVicYC in starker's naked. Our boat/crew were an Eagle Harbour YC too so it didn't phases us that he didn't anything he didn't a stitch on as that's Mike. A little chin wag for a bit and he says: "Well - better get to phone and check in." So merrily heading to the phone on the dock at Royal Vic. Our skipper said: "Errr..Mike. Haven't you forgotten something?" He had to search his mind for a minute and said: "Oh - I guess I should put me shorts on?" Too funny. 

Royal Vic has never been a stuffy club but even there - there are limits!      

• Like 1

Hell, I'm old enough to remember his C&C 30 Vatican (not even numbered then)

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If those pictures are current that thing is a steal - $20K for a Col 50? :blink:

One of my all time favourite boats - top 10 for sure.

Someone bought it yesterday for 15K

21 hours ago, Hukilau said:

Someone bought it yesterday for 15K

I hope it doesn't need a lot of money to get back into good shape. Good article about those in the last issue of Old Boat. 

Reminds me of a Moore on top.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/6899402508.html

condition: good 
length overall (LOA): 25 
make / manufacturer: George Wayland/Sausalito, CA 
model name / number: Golden Gate Class Sloop 
propulsion type: sail 
year manufactured: 1939 

S/V Chewink was a frequent Bay racer in the bay area. It is owned and sailed by Tim Donnelley  show contact info ). Please call Tim for additional information. He is anxious for someone to continue S/V Chewink's sailing adventures!

Sailboat "Chewink" is berth at Pier 39. A Golden Gate Class Sloop aka Baby Bird. Built-in Sausalito in 1939. 25ft length and 5k lbs. Pier 39 berthing information: https://pier39marina.com/slips/full-time-berthing/ If you have any questions, please contact the Harbormaster, Sheila Chandor.

The boat is sailable and water-tight. Needs some planking and framework upgrade.  

Historical or Biographical of Boat Architect

BIOGRAPHY: George H. Wayland (1885-1947). George H. Wayland was educated at the University of Washington and began his professional career in the Seattle area. 

During World War I, he worked for the Emergency Fleet Corporation at shipyards in Seattle and Tacoma, where he rose to the position of assistant superintendent of the Tacoma yard. Following the War, Wayland joined the Seattle design firm of Lee & Brinton, and was instrumental in opening their San Francisco office. 

In 1926 he left the firm to begin a solo design practice. Over the next two decades, Wayland either worked with or did contract work for the following ship and boat building yards on the west coast: Colberg Boat Works (Stockton); Geo. C. Boardman Co. (San Francisco); H.R. Fish & Co.; Wayland for Haviside Company; J.H. Madden and Co.; Madden and Lewis (Sausalito); Nunes Bros.; and Rasmussen Boat Works.

Among the noted vessels designed by Wayland are Volante (1936, sloop), Tamalmar (1927, 57 foot schooner), Alotola (ex Water Wheel, 1927, 57 foot schooner), Lady Jo (1932, schooner), Altair (1927, ketch), Mary Beth (1927), Marquita (1929, motor yacht), Skeeter (1930), and Graemar (1940). During the 1930s, Wayland also completed a few commercial designs, including a 1937 design for a 45 foot wooden tow boat, Telco, which was built at the Sausalito yard of Madden and Lewis for Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company. The Telco is a museum vessel at Hyde Street Pier, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park (SAFR 20427).

George Wayland is particularly well remembered as the architect who redesigned John Alden's 1922 original Bird class design, which measured 29 feet. In 1926 the Bird Boat association paid Wayland $100 to redesign the Bird Boat, which resulted in the 25 foot Golden Gate Design Class One, otherwise known as the Baby Bird design.

According to Thomas Skahill, George Wayland was "something of an unsung master during his lifetime-his boat designs remain in high regard by the West Coast maritime community." He was an important mentor to noted Bay Area yacht designer and builder Myron Spaulding; Myron Spaulding collected and preserved this collection of George Wayland's naval architect.

71A508D8-F9E7-4A79-9E15-E494FA3F7121.jpeg

C80800FB-9A54-4FCF-B0AB-0B59AD07FCB4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SkookumZac said:

That transom is gorgeous.

... in the thumbnail.  Now that I zoom in I'm not so sure...

00101_1mIwlCrfT0a_1200x900.thumb.jpg.f881a2848209c4338ddb3faffd90bfac.jpg

KNARR SLOOP US124 , PIPER built by Borreson, Knarr #52, built in 1966, and won the 1966 World Championships in Copenhagen 1966. PIPER had a bottom job and service at the Spaulding Boatworks Sausalito 2017. Fresh paint and varnish, inside and out, and is in very good overall condition. Wooden mast in very good shape, newer rigging. Main and jib sails in very good shape, and full canvas boat cover. Was recently donated by owner of over 30 years to an educational sailing non-profit. Not a project boat. Looking for a wooden boat/ Knarr aficionado to take it the next 30 years. Would be hard to find a cleaner boat in this price range. $4,900.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/6909295320.html

977FA260-B098-4405-B3FC-AB50653E6646.jpeg

01D3D393-E382-4097-B9EF-58FCE6266413.jpeg

1CD7A4F2-EFC1-45FC-AF2A-DB770F99449A.jpeg